N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

The thing that'd make me see a musical over a 'regular' movie is the quality of the songs:

Grease without the irritatingly catchy songs would be a painfully average film.

The Sound of Music without songs (or the sound of music, ha) would be a three hour bore fest.

I understand that the songs of Sweeney Todd are from the stage musical but I feel that it would probably have made a much better and coherent movie if the songs had been omitted and it was just a normal film, due to the low quality of the songs.

It was boring for me, maybe if I happened find Johnny Depp attractive, my thoughts of it would be different.

The thing that'd make me see a musical over a 'regular' movie is the quality of the songs:

Grease without the irritatingly catchy songs would be a painfully average film.

The Sound of Music without songs (or the sound of music, ha) would be a three hour bore fest.

I understand that the songs of Sweeney Todd are from the stage musical but I feel that it would probably have made a much better movie if the songs had been omitted and it was just a normal film, due to the low quality of the songs.

It was boring for me, maybe if I happened find Johnny Depp attractive, my thoughts of it would be different.

So you're telling me one of the most acclaimed musicals of all time, who's been getting praises for it's fantastic song repertoire has bad songs? I mean, except for Joana, they're all fantastic!!! And the movie adaptation uses the same songs!! Song-wise, it's very superior to Grease!!! It's at the level of Fiddler On The Roof and such. Low quality of the songs? Are you crazy???

Acclaim means nothing unless you agree with it. I don't, I might be crazy. :yay:

Self-centered. Of course it does. Wether or not you like it only matters on a personal level, not on the long run. You must make an effort to understand other opinions, not just reject them because you don't like them. Anyway, it's not about acclaim, it's actually the fact that the songs are good, meaning that the problem is not the movie's, it's yours.

:indeed: So, you don't like musicals, am I right?

No no i love musicals, i went and seen hairspray and loved it, blue brothers love it, the producers love it, mary poppins love it, rock horror LOVE IT.

Its just so blah every time alan rickman came on i wanted to die, and i love alan rickman, but god he cant sing a note.

The movie was beautiful and well made but it was just shit.

No no i love musicals, i went and seen hairspray and loved it, blue brothers love it, the producers love it, mary poppins love it, rock horror LOVE IT.

Its just so blah every time alan rickman came on i wanted to die, and i love alan rickman, but god he cant sing a note.

The movie was beautiful and well made but it was just shit.

:( :( This saddens me deeply.

Alan Rickman wasn't singing... he was talking melodically. :heh:

Anyway, beatiful an well made... but shtit... BECAUSE?

i haven't tried to argue that i'm right and your wrong.

i'm not a film critic, i'm hardly going to sit and watch a film and wonder if other people liked it or not. i care about me when i go to the cinema to spend my money.

What I'm saying is that wether you like something or not has no effect on the fact that's it's good or bad. That's all. : peace:

:( :( This saddens me deeply.

Alan Rickman wasn't singing... he was talking melodically. :heh:

Anyway, beatiful an well made... but shtit... BECAUSE?

It was beautiful in the direction, like look at the outfits, the sets, the look of the film was beautful and wellmade but that was the only thing good about the film, I went in thinking this is going to be one of my all time favouite movies and I was so disapointed I wanted to cry.

Noone I know that has saw it has liked it.

I know, whether or not I like something depends on whether or not I think it's bad or good, nobody else.

Obvious. But personal taste is only one side of things. If you can't look at things imparcially, you must lead a very sad life.

It was beautiful in the direction, like look at the outfits, the sets, the look of the film was beautful and wellmade but that was the only thing good about the film, I went in thinking this is going to be one of my all time favouite movies and I was so disapointed I wanted to cry.

Noone I know that has saw it has liked it.

So you hang out with idiots, good for you. (I kid :heh:)

You still managed to not answer my question. Why is it bad? Just because? You gotta have reasons to call it shit.

Sometimes, you can't explain why you hate it, some times, you hate it so much, but you really don't know why, its possible...

Happened to me on Marry Poppins lol

Yeah, that usually means you're an idiot. But I know you're not, you're one of the Mafia, we're all mighty intelligent.

(except when you got me killed in the Mafia game and accidentally saved Gizmo, the Mafia Don)

It's just like food.

So you're comparing art to food. That makes sense. :heh:

Meh, I liked Sweeney Todd. I went in there expecting not to like it much, but I got proven wrong. Maybe you all went in with too high expectations (cause that can ruin a film).

I thought the atmosphere in the movie was brilliant, with a great setting, costumes, acting, even the songs (and now I have that "I feel for you Joanna" song stuck in my head). Only things I didn't like were Joanna and Antony, but simply because I couldn't stand their faces and they just seemed stupid. =P

Sorry, my friend... I don't even remember that, tough xD

You were Peter Pan... :heh: We were all concerned cause the Don was gonna get caught, and you diverted attention towards me (Hannibal Lecter), saving him and eventually winning the game for us. I still died, though. :(

(and now I have that "I feel for you Joanna" song stuck in my head). Only things I didn't like were Joanna and Antony, but simply because I couldn't stand their faces and they just seemed stupid. =P

All the movies fauls are present in this post. :smile: That song is so bad... Christ.

Peter Pan? Gosh, i wished i had a better memory, i don't remeber anything of that...

Except remember seeing three guys with a pwnt because of some Werewolf Seeker...

Was that because of me?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

It was in the first DIY mafia, the one chairdriver did. You were the Flying boy, I believe... or maybe it was something else. Whatever it was, you saved the Don by diverting attention towards me.

All the movies fauls are present in this post. :smile: That song is so bad... Christ.

Hey, in the end it stopped annoying me as much. I think at the end of the movie there was this song mixed with another (I'm not sure), and I kinda liked it. Strangely enough, this 'Joanna' song is the only one I can remember, though I do know I liked the 'My Friends' one (where he gets his razor blade thingies back).

Why are you saying that sarcastically?

It makes a lot of sense.

No it doesn't. Food does not express any emotions or feelings. There's only taste, nothing else. It's like comparing a colour to a painting.

Hey, in the end it stopped annoying me as much. I think at the end of the movie there was this song mixed with another (I'm not sure), and I kinda liked it. Strangely enough, this 'Joanna' song is the only one I can remember, though I do know I liked the 'My Friends' one (where he gets his razor blade thingies back).

My Friends is perfect... the part where she's singing along with him, different words... magnificient.

No... rothko paints because he has something to say. What Cube's doing is like comparing Yellow, the color, to a painting, a work of art.

and what i'm saying is that even a single colour can be a work of art if someone is trying to express an idea with it. (case in point - remember that blue square they had in the tate....?) the same way ingredients for a meal will be specially chosen to work well together... a meal may not express emotion in the same way a film or a painting would, but it's composition has still been considered and thought & method have still gone into making it.

...you understand what i mean..?

and what i'm saying is that even a single colour can be a work of art if someone is trying to express an idea with it. (case in point - remember that blue square they had in the tate....?) the same way ingredients for a meal will be specially chosen to work well together... a meal may not express emotion in the same way a film or a painting would, but it's composition has still been considered and thought & method have still gone into making it.

I perfectly understand what you mean... You're the one who doesn't understand what I mean. In order to be art, it need an author, what I'm saying is YELLOW (the colour, on its own) being compared to art. Not the yellow painting someone painted, but the colour by itself. Yellow is a direct stimulation, art requires interpretation.

Are you talking about the blue square with a different shaped black rectangle next to it?

That art was amazing. I don't even know why, but it was!

Just saw Underworld Evolution, I liked :D 7.999/10