NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Quite like Iron Man, and A Scanner Darkley, thought R Downey Jr has been the best thing about both, so is the Hulk worth me giving it a go?

Also been on a bit of a Ghibli spree of late. Full reviews will go up later, but I loved Kiki's Delivery Service, and Whisper of The Heart recently. Whisper of The Heart was more my kinda thing. Both get a firm 9/10 :)

The Incredible Hulk

Wow another semi-dud from the newly established Marvel Studios. I found nearly everything about this version worse than Ang Lee's earlier effort. The first hulk out was the only real exilerating scene and the pacing was just too quick for my liking. The soundtrack was too 'Bourne-like' (e.g even when he was simply experimenting with a serum the film required a thumping bass line to accompany it).

The character development was the biggest flaw, for a film that ignores the previous outing it doesn't do a very good job of filling you in. Colonel Ross just came across as too evil without decent justification only for then to turn over a new leaf within 10 seconds.

It's just a shame that 2003's Hulk is so undeservedly ignored, I felt that Ang Lee worked hard in creating something different, allowing the characters to grow (admittedly very slowly) and creating a fascinating origin story that sculpted Bruce into a sympathetic character. Then for it to be trampled on by this shallow attempt at story telling.

5/10

Theres one sentence in this post that clearly shows you didnt really pay attention to the film, thus invalidating the rest of it. What did you give Iron Man?

Theres one sentence in this post that clearly shows you didnt really pay attention to the film, thus invalidating the rest of it. What did you give Iron Man?

Iron Man was better, but as a piece of cinema (I'm not basing it on how accurate it is to it's source material or anything as I don't read comics) it was mediocre at best - 6/10

[REC]

Finally got to see it, excellent film. I especially liked that it was set in Barcelona where I've spent a lot of time. The place I stay is just like the block of flats in the film, at times I was sure it was the same place. That made it all the better for me. Also I can watch it without subtitles and that helps. The characters in the film talk and act exactly like spanish people. Didn't really find it too scary but i did jump at a scene near the end heh. A lot of fun, 75 minutes well spent.

The Incredible Hulk is getting a thrashing. Read some reviews in the papers and the New Yorker today and they pretty much confirmed my expectations.

I really liked Hulk, great CGI, fanservice, great photography, incorporating things in the Marvel Universe, amazing action sequences. Really really liked it.

Seriously Haver, I thought better of you, taking movie reviews seriously? tsk tsk

The Incredible Hulk is getting a thrashing. Read some reviews in the papers and the New Yorker today and they pretty much confirmed my expectations.

You may want to widen your review readings of it. 90% of the reviews I have read have been positive. Seriously.

You may want to widen your review readings of it. 90% of the reviews I have read have been positive. Seriously.

You want to widen your review reading then given that its averaging 64% on Rotten tomatos. :P

You want to widen your review reading then given that its averaging 64% on Rotten tomatos. :P

....Mainly positive. ;)

As a side note, I love reviews like this. I dont even know what this means (Its a review of Iron Man)

50 Washington Post Ann Hornaday

It succeeds only fitfully. Toggling between Stark's impish goatee and Iron Man's full-metal body condom, and amid so many generic fireballs, kill shots and earsplitting thumps, bumps and crunches, the film finally collapses under its own weight.

???

It's pretty rare that I disagree entirely with the critics from the papers and the mags (I won't talk about the web, Slate and The A.V. are about all I have faith in reviews-wise), but often I am more enthusiastic about things that are good than they are. Like I was crazy for Be Kind Rewind and they just liked it. Oh and I liked Marie Antoinette and they hated that.

But I may be disagreeing with them over The Happening because I am a fanboi :geek:

....Mainly positive. ;)

As a side note, I love reviews like this. I dont even know what this means (Its a review of Iron Man)

???

I don't like her style, but what she means essentially I think is that it's BIG, y'know, it's a big movie with big characters and a big premise and big visuals...and it just fails to do itself proud, and big things fall hard.

And anything under 70 for a movie is a thrashing. No one goes to see a sub-80 film nevermind a sub-70. You want a 100 everytime.

You liked The Happening?

Im still going to see it. I want to know what happens etc.

Haven't seen it yet, would like to check it out but the ATM crashed and ate my card.

Haven't seen it yet, would like to check it out but the ATM crashed and ate my card.

Damn, fucking machines. I wanted to see it tonight...but I dont think thats possible now.

Ive heard Superhero Movie is so shit...and I believe it...but I still want to see it. Does that make me a bad person.

Grand Prix

Of interest to both racing and cinematography fans, directed by the guy who eventually went on to direct Ronin. Also starring Graham Hill as "Bob."

4th - 5pts

Ive heard Superhero Movie is so shit...and I believe it...but I still want to see it. Does that make me a bad person.

I saw it today; I had to look after my sisters and her friends as it's my sister's birthday party.

Superhero Movie 2/10

Awful. And don't believe the poster...it's just a BAD spoof of Spider-Man, which cameos from "Human Torch" and the others.

Only funny bit was Regina Hall's cameo, and considering she's a staple of the Scary Movie's (only series worth watching), it's telling.

Seriously ReZ, this isn't me being on a high-horse like I was with Transformers...this is for young chavs who laugh hysterically at farts (That makes up the majority of the movie), or various innuendoes of dry-humping.

It's meant to be better than Date, Epic and the recent Scary Movie offerings.

Million Dollar Baby

Fantastic. Powerful, emotional and gripping, with great acting from everyone involved.

9/10

Air Force One

This was my all-time favourite film when I was an early teen :indeed: Still very enjoyable, but there's not as many set-pieces in it as I thought there was.

6.5/10

I saw it today; I had to look after my sisters and her friends as it's my sister's birthday party.

Superhero Movie 2/10

Awful. And don't believe the poster...it's just a BAD spoof of Spider-Man, which cameos from "Human Torch" and the others.

Only funny bit was Regina Hall's cameo, and considering she's a staple of the Scary Movie's (only series worth watching), it's telling.

Seriously ReZ, this isn't me being on a high-horse like I was with Transformers...this is for young chavs who laugh hysterically at farts (That makes up the majority of the movie), or various innuendoes of dry-humping.

Fair enough, Ill avoid it in that case.

The Incredible Hulk

Surprisingly awesome. 8.5/10

Excellent ending, won't spoil.

Just back from The Incredible Hulk, MUCH better than the 1st film from a few years back, and thank god for Ed Norton rebuilding the script and ignoring the Ang Lee "Hulk" and starting again. This is how a Hulk film was meant to be.

And like the cameo at the end, don't want to spoil too much but with the few possibilities they left open for the future I'm looking forward to see what comes in the next few years and hopefully Norton will stay on too.

9/10

The Happening

The WORST film I have ever seen and I have seen some shite. I've sat through a 4 hour Indian movie about a fat guy who dresses up and plays the drums which consisted of the camera being aimed point blank range at his sweaty face for 90% of the time. This was worse.

Avoid like anal rape with a shard of glass.

-∞/10

Ah nice, it's better than the first then. Had doubts about it and didn't like the one a few years ago at all, might give this a shot.

Seen Superhero movie aswell, some good bits but overall it's a bad spoof of Spiderman(Just read someone posted this as I typed). Strangely enough, i'd watch it again though. But yea, mostly for chavs.

3/10