NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

I refuse to watch it on the basis that it's obvious it was made off the back of the success of High School Musical. I mean, HSM found the perfect line between "OMG this is abysmal" and "This is fucking brilliant *sings*" - lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place.

(Also, it's the "Jonas Brothers". Only one of them is worth any mention...:p)

No HSM is just abysmal. It's hilarious at points, but it's not a knowing satire or anything.

Iron Man

3/10 It put me to sleep...twice. The film had no soul, extremely poor.

No you are!

No HSM is just abysmal. It's hilarious at points, but it's not a knowing satire or anything.

Totally disagree. But then again, I suppose I can't really explain why. Some people loathe even the idea of it, and others (like myself) love it to bits.

I've been rewatching a few of my favourite moves over the past few days:

L.A Confidential

I had actually forgotten about this, because it never seems to get mentioned when people do the best film lists. The story, the acting - basically everything about it is fantastic. I remember watching it when I was a bit younger and not getting it completely but still I was sat glued to the screen.

Brokeback Mountain

No doubt, one of the best movies ever made. I still can't fathom why the Oscars didn't award both the Best Actor award to Ledger (It was the best performance of the year) and The Best Film (It beats Crash, hands down).

During the very final scene, I don't think I have ever been more engrossed in a film than at that very moment. Fucking emotional.

Mulan

A present from Santa.

I love this film. If it were aimed more at adults, and didn't have the annoying comic relief it would be my favourite thing ever.

I still clap to this very day at the scene where the whole Hun army is charging down the pass, and Mulan runs with the rocket. Its so visually impressive, and that's the moment you know Mulan is allowed sing Alanis Morissette's "That I Would Be Good".

I love how the captain obviously fancies Ping, and is then genuinely surprised when he turns out to be a girl. Like, lovely homosexual undertones (considering Mulan has an immaculate face)

Basically, the whole film makes me cry. Like, the finale scene ("You stole your father's armour, ran away from home, impersonated a soldier, deceived your commanding officer, dishonoured the Chinese army, destroyed my palace, and... you have saved us all") is literally my favourite thing in cinematic history, like on par with the ending of Batman Returns. My face was literally wet with tears aswell.

Lovely.

10/10

Iron Man

3/10 It put me to sleep...twice. The film had no soul, extremely poor.

Incorrect, you lose.

Incorrect, you lose.

Totally. It's so not a 3/10 movie. It just oozed quality tbh. I didn't expect much, but after the initial opening, it was rather brilliant.

that final scene reduced me to a sobbing wreck for a good 10 mins. Amazing film.

I've never actually met anyone else that likes the movie...though to be fair hardly any of them have actually seen it. Pretty shocking, considering.

Incorrect, you lose.

How can something subjective be incorrect? I'd have more enjoyment watching Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter & Spring than watching some generic, mediocre film such as Iron Man.

There seems have be an influx or awful films coming out of Hollywood recently. Over the top use of special effects doesn't make a great film. ie Hancock

There was over the top use of CG in Iron Man?

Considering Favreau tries to use as little as possible, thats....pretty....yeah.

Well yeah, you are wrong though to be fair.

Yeah, to be fair, rating things isn't totally subjective.

Some films are better than others.

The Little Mermaid

A classic.

The songs are awesome. Poor, Unfortunate Souls is lovely. And obvs Under The Sea.

I love Aerial's hair aswell - literally a lovely fringe in a joke shade of red.

Ursula is less fun than I remembered, since she gets defeated really easily, and looks quite ugly when she turns into a princess. I do love the fact she's technically not evil until she steals Triton's crown - just really manipulative.

Still, it's a brilliant film.

8/10

I'd have more enjoyment watching Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter & Spring

haha, I thought this was a comment similar to 'I'd rather watch paint dry' but then realised it's actually a film about a Buddhist monk. *leaves*

Mulholland Drive

A while back I mentioned how much I loved Eraserhead, and someone recommended me Mulholland Drive. So I got that for xmas. Just finished it now.

One of most...terrifying films I've seen recently. It's so fucking confusing, I have no idea what just happend. How can something not "scary"...become "scary"? Lynch is some master of his craft, cause I dont fucking know.

Agh. Really affected me this has...absolutely disturbingly good.

In the end, it fits together, but it doesn't at the same time. And for that reason, it's actually frightening.

WTF That was extraordinary 10/10

I've never actually met anyone else that likes the movie...though to be fair hardly any of them have actually seen it. Pretty shocking, considering.

yeah- most people are prejudiced, ignorant idiots who are too scared to engage with the film. Their loss. Undoubtedly one of the finest pieces of cinematic craftsmanship to come along in our lifetimes.

yeah- most people are prejudiced, ignorant idiots who are too scared to engage with the film. Their loss. Undoubtedly one of the finest pieces of cinematic craftsmanship to come along in our lifetimes.

The funny thing is is that on this gay youth forum I frequent, there's an epic Brokeback Mountain thread (like 200 pages long or something), and every 5 or so posts are punctuated by people coming on saying that they found the film really boring/bad, and it wasn't anything like what they expected.

I think people hear "gay cowboys" and just immediately think of sexy times.

irony lol: there's way more straight sex in the film- including some pretty hot scenes from the female leads.

of course, the whole point is that it's emotionally barren, soul crushing straight sex but that there happens to be the point.

The Glenn Miller Story

A very feel good film, with James Stewart (again) wooo! The bit with Louis Armstrong in the jazzclub/speakeasy is awesome. Good music, but the story is too romanticised. (z? sp).

5/10

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

I may have been a little tipsy whilst watching this, but this was simply fantastic. Can't remember the last time I laughed so much during a film. I grew up on the early W&G shorts and it's fairly interesting seeing W&G again now I'm older. I'm annoyed that I missed the new one today.

9/10

I watched the latter half when it was on Five, and purchased it on doovdé shortly after. They skipped the "The Love Is Gone" song in the Christmas Past flashback. First I thought Five cut it out for times' sake, but it was not on the DVD either. I had to check Youtube to make sure my memory wasn't playing tricks on me.

It's been omitted from most versions since a few years ago, it's on my VHS copy and on early DVDs too. No idea why.

Brokeback Mountain is good. A very worthy effort. But it's not that good. Unquestionably good, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

So no one else has see Mulholland Drive? I expected a flurry of "Oh yeah, that's some freaky shit!" or something.

Oh well.

Nah havn't seen it, but apparently people who have seen it are supsirsed when they hear other people havn't seen it, and were expecting something more along the lines of a flurry of people proclaiming it to be freaky shit.

Or something.

So no one else has see Mulholland Drive? I expected a flurry of "Oh yeah, that's some freaky shit!" or something.

Oh well.

oh woops. Forgot to comment there.

Yeah. Excellent film. Entirely unsure as to the, um, point of the exercise but I have a suspicion that it hardly matters. It's an utterly engrossing bit of cinema nonetheless.

Yes, Mulholland Drive is fantastic and truly fucked up. I was just too busy playing with all my new shit to reply. You should check out Inland Empire next, that one is the real test of faith.

Changeling

Damn good, but bloody mental. Full review in my review of the year.

8/10

Pride and Glory

People may disagree with me but it was too bloody long and boring

4/10