NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Is this what you young people call Henry Winkler now?

These kids today don't know anything, man. This one didn't even know what Daddy or Chips was about!

Do you see why I hate you now, huh? Not knowing Henry Winkler's name! You disgust me, boy! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Well I knew he was called Henry (cause that's my name), but it wouldn't have made much sense if I just said "Henry". I've not seen Happy Days since I was about 3, so never really got the love of his character. (and so didn't know his name)

How do you not know the name of Henry Winkler? lol.

Anyway, here is...

DudeDazz's Top Ten Movies of the Decade

Billy Elliot

2110.jpg

AI: Artificial Intelligence

artificial_intelligence_dvd.jpg

Shaun of the Dead

300px-shaun-of-the-dead1.jpg

Oldboy

OLDBOY.jpg

Let The Right One In

B001MYIXAC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is England

432px-this_is_england_film_poster.jpg

Pan’s Labyrinth

pan_s-labyrinth.jpg

Spirited Away

sw-us-poster.jpg

Battle Royale

Battle_Royale-front.jpg

...and that finishes my Top Ten Movies of the Decade! :D

Edited by Animal

Because it would require a lot of effort to think of the countless movies I have watched in 10 years....heres my top movie of the decade :)

moulin+rouge.jpg

Hoooooo sheeeeeeee.

The Green Mile

Masterfully executed.

9.5/10

Great movie, almost as good as the source material

1-day-poster.jpg

1 Day

It's a modern-grime/hiphop musical movie which was filmed in Birmingham so I thought I'd see it. My God, it makes Birmingham look bad. I mean, I know it is bad but seeing it on screen was worse. I couldn't understand half of what they were saying either (does anyone know what "scrilla" is?) but some of the rap songs were actually alright and portrayed the emotion and feel of the movie. Also, one scene that kind of made me angry was when they were in a fast food restaurant and the people in there were scared of the gang and the guy rapping was like "You hate me because I'm black so you hold your bag like I'm gonna rob you" and stuff and I'm sitting there like "Hold on, you basically talked about attempting to kill someone, you go on about selling drugs, you have a gun in your belt on show and your hood is up, you think THAT could be the reason?"

The acting was also dodgy half the time too, some of the cast were good and some were bad. It's supposed to be banned and not shown in cinemas. Good, it shouldn't even BE in cinemas, it shouldn't have even been filmed! There's only one type of person I can see loving this and they're the type that are like the characters in the movie. Chavs would love this. If you like Kidulthood or Adulthood (I did) then there's a 25% you'll like this. As for me, I'm in the 75% who don't like it so much. Below average. The only good thing was the music, that wasn't so bad. There's no message, no aspirations for the characters and all the characters were thugs and were instantly unlikeable. Also, it helps alot if you know the modern-day street lingo to understand what the heck some of them were on about. It's a shame because I wanted to like this movie but at the end, I felt almost outraged and disappointed.

3/10 (and that's because of the music, otherwise it would be a 0.5)

Edited by Animal

Seen a few films lately so I guess I should start rating them (though I find sticking numbers to films a bit annoying heh).

My first 3D film ever. I didn't expect too much from this film, as I'd read mixed opinions about it, and unlike Jim I don't hype everything that James Cameron does. =P

The story was as expected pretty weak: typical good versus evil. Now that I think of it, the story reminds me a lot of Pocahontas. Except with aliens. So yeah the story isn't great, but the visuals were quite nice. I had a bit of trouble with the 3D, especially in fast scenes. Couldn't see what was going on and it just made me dizzy. Plus the stupid glasses hurt my nose the moment I put them on. =(

But yeah, the planet looks really nice, especially at night with all those fluorescent colours. Wheee.

7.5/10

Rocky

I know this is sad but I'd never seen this film before (there's a huuuuuuge list of films I've never seen that I'm trying to work through with Jim haha). I kinda knew what it was about, since it's not that difficult to figure out haha. But yeah I enjoyed it. Simple plot and all that, but it worked. =)

Yo Adrian!

8/10

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Again a film I hadn't seen. =P

Didn't really know what would happen in this film, apart from the fact it's about aliens. Not sure what to say about it other than I thought it was quite good. Plus that tune they play sticks in your head for ages. X3

8/10

Terminator

Seen this last year with Jim on a video he taped ages ago, so the quality wasn't that great. But now we got to watch it on glorious DVD format! =P

Nice action film, and Arnie is a great villain in it. Plus some cool effects, especially for the time this film was made (yay for puppets!).

8/10

Terminator 2

We watched this the same day as the first, and again it was the first time I saw the film. Has a cool twist at the start that had me going "ooooh" haha. Effects in this are great I think. The boy got on my nerves a bit sometimes, but other than that I liked the characters and the humour in the film. I think I enjoyed it a bit more than the first. =)

8.5/10

I think that's all the films we watched. I might be wrong. I'm sure Jim will correct me if I am. =P

Prince In Concert: Rave Un2 The Year 2000

Total coincidence that I bought this on New Years eve, exactly 10 years after it was first shown. Dun dun duuuun!

Not strictly a film, but yeah.

It was alright. He's a great showman. No idea where the energy comes from, but yeah, non-stop, great vocals etc, everyone knows he's great live. Annoying thing was that he kept bringing on people that are like uninteresting versions of him to play while he bathed in what must be their glory, playing in the band while they sung/whatever. Like The Time, who I have no interest in, and 3 members of Sly and the Family Stone. (?)

Lenny Kravitz was alright, I liked American Woman. Fly Away was shit.

Also way too much "noodling" and extended jams for the sake of it instead of songs I wanted to hear. I admire how talented Prince and the NPG are, but it gets old fast. Of the 23 songs played, only 13 were actually Prince songs. He also did a horrible version of Purple Rain, making it all religious. I know you have to change the structure of a song if you play it EVERY show, but it was just...bad.

Kiss was good, the famous guitar riff being replaced by a sample-laden backing track. And loved hearing She's Always In My Hair. Gett Off would have been good if he'd played more than 1 minute of it before letting a massive jam session go on instead. I know no one else cares. I liked his outfit for the encore! :p

The editing wasn't amazing, horrible effect that was meant to be slow-motion just looked weird. But yeah.

Harry Brown

Bit disappointing, just another Death Wish/Brave One/Death Sentence. Looked nice in places and Michael Cain did his best but was completely forgetable.

6/10

Edited by Solo

Moon

Well Sam Rockwell. Quite the bloody man eh? Captivating stuff, intriguing plot. I hear Duncan Jones has another sci fi in the works. I eagerly await.

9 / 10 Film of yesteryear for me

Watched in 2D as I think 3D would spoil the colours of the world used and it's possibly the best movie of 2009. I absolutely adored it. The story was a little samey (as Eenuh said, good vs evil) but the characters were fantastic and the world was breathtakingly awesome, just stunning. I'm changing my Top Ten Movies of the Decade and this is gonna be in it!

10/10

I forgot to say earlier, although Tom Hanks was brilliant in The Green Mile, I absolutely loved (someone I couldn't place, and thus IMDBd) David Morse.

He was awesome as fuck.

Am I the only one that has absolutely no urge to see it?

Chaka Khan Bruvva'

Well, I am interested in seeing it, but have made no effort to do so.

I wasn't interested in seeing it at all but I got forced to by Jim. =P

I didn't have the urge to see it either but my mate (who is very rarely impressed) loved it so I was like 'it must be good for him to love it' so I watched it and I can see why. I advise you to watch it, it's stunning. It might be like 2 and a half hours but it's just beautiful.

I have a desire to see it, but not watch it.

(ie I want to see the purdy, but don't care about the story)

Watched in 2D as I think 3D would spoil the colours of the world used a

How would you know if you haven't seen it? The 3-D use is amazing! It's meant to be seen in 3-D.

I had no urge to see it. I kind of just ended up in the cinema lured in by 3D. :)

The 3D did darken the film. I took of my 3D glasses and was like WOAH!!! this film is colourful. ^___^

Been watching movies with my Nephew:

Madgascar

6/10

Sharks Tale

5/10

Ice Age 3

7/10

Film of the Decade?

I think Ninja Cheerleaders is a contender. :heh:

How would you know if you haven't seen it? The 3-D use is amazing! It's meant to be seen in 3-D.

As Coolness said, it darkened the movie and I heard that the movie was colourful so I wanted to experience it and see the amazing world. Plus I didn't want to see red/cyan all the way through the movie without experiencing the 2D first. It's rare that I want to see 2D and 3D versions of the same movie but I plan to watch it in 3D.

I have a question for people who have either seen both versions or the 3D version. I know it's made for 3D and it's meant to be seen in it but didn't it spoil the colours and texture of the world with red/cyan and stuff. I mean, could you see the scenes without the red/cyan putting you off so you could appreciate the world and texture and animation like you could in 2D?

Edited by Animal

I didn't really notice any difference in darkness while wearing the glasses myself. Seemed very vibrant and colourful to me (and I took off the glasses at times and noticed no difference).

As Coolness said, it darkened the movie and I heard that the movie was colourful so I wanted to experience it and see the amazing world. Plus I didn't want to see red/cyan all the way through the movie without experiencing the 2D first. It's rare that I want to see 2D and 3D versions of the same movie but I plan to watch it in 3D.

I have a question for people who have either seen both versions or the 3D version. I know it's made for 3D and it's meant to be seen in it but didn't it spoil the colours and texture of the world with red/cyan and stuff. I mean, could you see the scenes without the red/cyan putting you off so you could appreciate the world and texture and animation like you could in 2D?

Red and cyan? Do they still use that stuff? O.o

As far as I know 3D in cinemas these days works with polarized glasses, not the red and cyan ones from oh so many years ago.

Yeah the glasses are pro. :D I have them still though I accidently popped out the lenses. :(

OH! Dude Dazz if you loved the film then you should definately see it in 3D it certainly adds to the experience. It gives the film an extra depth. :)

They don't use the red and blue 3-D glasses, lol!

I got these ones; reald-3d-glasses.jpg

Same as the ones used in 3-D attractions and theme parks...