NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
immy

Limewire

when you download it , you have to agree that you wont use it for illegal purposes, which makes it legal. Make sure to run Spybot or Adaware as soon as you download it.

It is legal to have the program. But if you download copyright material. Then that is breaking the law. So as long as you don't download anything copyrighted etc. you'll be ok...

Though it's esaier to get viruses with Lime and easier to get tracked if you do download copyright material (i think). Where's Jordan when you need him?

Oh lord, this programme is the reason my college network is so slow. Loads of people use it to download music, programmes ect. and they hog all the bandwidth. Bastards.

It is totaly legal to use, file sharinis legal. It is only illegal once you download copyright material.

Definitly legal to use, but it all depends on what you download, any thing copyrighted that you download will be illegal. Every thing else is legal.

Example of legal material: Non-Pirated movies, such as home movies and self made films. Of course the same applies to music.

So how come they can post copywrite metrail for download?

Who are "they"? People can share whatever they want because it's P2P, and I expect that the software creators have little control over the network.

It is totaly legal to use, file sharinis legal. It is only illegal once you download copyright material.

or you offer files you do not have the rights over.

most people so far chased by the record companies have been uploading

Could have sworn it was legal to download music, just not burn it? Perhaps that's just here...think it's the same in NZ too. Ahwell, I've been using it for years. Before it, WinMX. Don't get that one though.

You're right, music copyright laws are different in Canada. Although, I thought it was legal for you to burn it too as you pay an extra tax on burnable media.

You're right, music copyright laws are different in Canada. Although, I thought it was legal for you to burn it too as you pay an extra tax on burnable media.

Used to be like that here too.. Now we have to pay the extra tax on all recordable media. And it's illegal to download music here too. There was a new law that was issued and now it's illegal to transfer music from a copy protected cd to your mp3 player... And it somehow makes the use of shift key when you insert an audio cd in windows illegal. As everything that has something to do with going around copy protections is illegal.

And if I order a cd for example from the US and the same cd hasn't come out here in europe (or never will) and I'm ordering it to my import store, I'm breaking the law. And no I do not actually have that kind of store but the law sucks.

All this comes to the point that I do not know what I'm allowed to do and what is illegal. So I'll stick to my old ways and not buy cd's.

EDIT: And the whole copy protection thing has gone too far... I mean the sony's rootkit? I'm never going to buy anything sony again.

Sign in to follow this