N-Europe

Northern Lights- Philip Pullman

Fierce_LiNk

I was made to read this book as part of my Uni course, and i really, really enjoyed it. I'm going to start on the other books pretty soon.

After reading this book, i was tempted to read some more books. During January, i bought 3 other books (1984, Fahrenheit 451 and Lord of the Flies). I really should get started on the next lot of books, but 1984 is very addicting.

As far as Fantasy Novels go, i think Northern Lights is right up there. What do you all think of it?

I think it's pretty damn good actually. for a kids book its remarkably mature and GASP! its mythology is actually inventive and compelling stuff. armour plated talkin polar bears? hell.yes.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and now this?

Dan Dare, a man with good taste. :)

This is one of those books that i think a child would like, but an adult or young adult would appreciate (The idea of daemons or "dust")

I can't remember the last time i enjoyed a book as much as this.

1984 is a classic. How are you finding that?

On the topic of Northern Lights, I've been meaning to start reading it for literately years and years. I'll probably read it once my A-Level course is over and I can stop reading boring war novels.

On the topic of books, has anyone read Salaam Brick Lane and/or An Evil Cradleing? They're probably my favourite books.

I'm interested. Care to give a short synopsis of the book?

Also, if anyone knows some other good books to read, please tell me! I've got some free time now and I'm wanting to start reading again, though I have no idea what books to look for.

1984 is a classic. How are you finding that?

I think it's fantastic. It's very different to Northern Lights. It's a society novel, and that's what i love about it. :)

Sarka's_girly: Care to go into details?

Eenuh: It's quite an epic novel. The main focus is around a girl called Lyra, and it follows her journey to save her friend Roger after he is taken by the "Gobblers". It's really magical stuff. I'll try and find a review for you.

I'm interested. Care to give a short synopsis of the book?

Also, if anyone knows some other good books to read, please tell me! I've got some free time now and I'm wanting to start reading again, though I have no idea what books to look for.

Well my favourite books as I just said above are probably Salaam Brick Lane and An Evil Cradleing. I think Salaam Brick Lane may not be for everyone, An Evil Cradleing is brilliant though.

I can also recommend these classics:

A Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde

Memoirs of a Geisha (nothing like the film)

1984 - George Orwell (Then read Animal Farm and Homage to Catalonia if you like it)

Reservation Blues - Sherman Alexie

In Country - Bobby Ann Mason (perhaps not for everyone. A very slow novel where not much happens. I don't suppose you're into Japanese cinema? Then you'd like this. Bit of a long shot, I know, but I can't think of much else to compare it to)

A Very Long Engagement - Sebastien Japrisot

I hope that helps!

I think I'll try and check out Northern Lights; I really love magical stuff. =3

Domo Kun: I got 1984 from the library one day but never got to read it; read Animal Farm already though and loved it, so I'll be sure to check out more stuff from Orwell.

I loved the movie A very long engagement, and since the original book is probably in French, I might actually check out that version to brush up some of my French again. I'll be sure to look out for some of the titles you put down, if I can find them in my local library. Thank you. =3

Just a totally incredible series of books, if you haven't read them yet do it, do it now. The Amber Spyglass is one of a few books that at the end left me feeling, hmmm, I suppose emotionally involved is the best way to describe it.

Out of interest, which was the best of the series?

Just a totally incredible series of books, if you haven't read them yet do it, do it now. The Amber Spyglass is one of a few books that at the end left me feeling, hmmm, I suppose emotionally involved is the best way to describe it.

My girlfriend keeps urging me to read the other 2 books so that we can discuss the ending. I feel more motivated to read these books than i have with other books.

It is a great series of books that both I and the wife enjoyed. They did manage to stir some emotion in me which is unusual for me and books. The end of the first book is great with

The bear fight and the organ eating!

and the end of the second book with

the witch killing the lad's father.

The end of the series was the only low for me. It wasn't how I wanted it to finish.

Oh man when Odwin said about emotinal bits it reminded me of the ultra ultra sad bit.

Where the bears friend guy, the one with the hot air baloon makes a last stand with his creature and they die together.

:cry:

Sierously that bit was just so emotinal and then what hppened afterwards. Man I wish the 3rd book could have had something like that in.

Crap that spoiler has seemed to have broken the forum slightly sorry :hmm:

I've been meaning to read so many of the above, but havn't got around to it, i like to buy my books as well, that way i can read at what ever pace i want, and can go back and read it again in the future. I want to first finish some tom clancy books (got 6 to go, in the series), then the other LOTR's books (don't know hw many there is)