N-Europe

Nintendo and The Pokémon Company suing Pocket Pair (Palworld developers) for patent infringement

So, this is huge.

Filing of Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Pocket Pair Inc.

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Minami-ku, Kyoto, President & CEO: Shuntaro Furukawa, hereinafter referred to as "the Company"), in collaboration with The Pokémon Company, filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Pocket Pair Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: 2-10-2 Higashi-Gotanda, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, hereinafter referred to as the "Defendant") in the Tokyo District Court on September 18, 2024.

This lawsuit seeks an injunction against infringement and damages for allegedly infringing multiple patents by the game "Palworld" developed and distributed by the defendant.

In order to protect our important intellectual property, which we have built up through many years of efforts, we will continue to take necessary measures against infringement of intellectual property, including our brand.

For some examples of why this action is being taken:

There was also a lot of discussion around the animations and designs in the game's own thread which might help anyone who has missed all of this news get caught up. 

News came out just last week that the game was expected to feature at next week's Tokyo Game Show ahead of a potential announcement of a PS5 version of the game, the existence of which had seemingly leaked. Curious to see if any of those plans change. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Shocking that it took them this long.  The asset theft is so blatant that it may as well have been an Ace Attorney case.

Can't help but feel that the damage has already been done.  Pocket Pal have already made out like bandits, and the courts may not side with Nintendo for having taken too long to bring the matter to them I fear...

Still, it's interesting that they're approaching this from a patent infringement perspective, rather than a copyright infringement perspective... Sounds like they have an interesting battle plan here, perhaps with the goal of opening up Pocket Pal to Discovery; where they will inevitably find more incriminating evidence of their asset theft…

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwE7CK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAy

Edited by Dcubed

OK, first of all...

zeldagood.jpg

Cheered me right up this morning. Thinking about the blatant artistic theft here still makes me feel sick.

Although, I have been sick recently, so that probably isn't helping.

Secondly...

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Still, it's interesting that they're approaching this from a patent infringement perspective, rather than a copyright infringement perspective...

It might be both, for how vague it is. Here's an excellent post detailing some facts about it.

Nintendo deffo think they have a case here. Will be interesting to see what the play is.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It seems that the TGS listing for the PS5 version is no longer being advertised. I wonder if Sony no longer wants it on the platform due to the lawsuit?

Probably, and it would be the smart move. This lawsuit hasn't just materialised on a whim. There's a very good chance Nintendo have a leg to stand on.

It's amusing, people on Era were speculating that Sony might step in to back up Pocket Pair. Mate, if anything I was certain they'd wanna distance themselves ASAP.