N-Europe

Super Mario Party Jamboree (17th October 2024)

Julius

I picked this up from Argos yesterday morning, took a break from my spooky games and fired it up today. I've only played the 1 board because I've been spending a lot of my time on the game trying to unlock achievements (so happy they are back in the game) and playing the Bowser Kaboom Squad online. That mode is so much fun, although a little frustrating when trying to unlock an achievement that requires the 7 other players to do well. The S rank achievement continues to evade me due to either shoddy connections or the other players being garbage. The AI ain't much better either.

The standard party map I did play was a bit of a drag. The first half was okay but then the last 5 turns were just filled with events and cutscenes. The Ally games dragged on far too long as well. I wish you could just skip all the AI moves or at least fast forward them all. They really kill the pace of the game.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

So... How do you change the number of players in this game? I was in the Part Plaza and in the balloon and simply couldn't find any way to exit back to the menu. 

When you pick a mode you go to Player Settings within it. There you can change whether a character is CPU controlled of player controlled.

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Oh, wow. Obviously. 🙄 I also found that you can disconnect a controller. But seems quite the hassle compared to just pressing + and choosing exit...

You can also talk to the Toad in the Party Plaza to change character and the number of players, as well as the message speed.

• Like 1

All achievements unlocked!

GavVcpZXoAAAyTh?format=jpg&name=large

GavVcpdXYAAyiZg?format=jpg&name=large

GavVhDcWIAEouYE?format=jpg&name=large

GavVhC6XMAAXHnn?format=jpg&name=large

GavVcpcXAAE7DL2?format=jpg&name=large

I had a hell of a time nabbing them all and as someone who plays Mario Party on his own, these really gave the game some legs. Some of them were absolutely nuts, like finding and using all 37 items in the game, getting 7 stars in Pro Rules mode and being in 4th and then winning with only a few turns to go. A lot of the ones that were part of the main Mario Party mode involved a lot of luck and required replaying boards and trying to manipulate certain scenarios.

It wasn't just the achievements that gave me stuff to do, the other modes were also stupidly fun to play as well. Yes, even the motion controlled stuff, which I usually don't get on with. The rhythm games and flight modes were a joy to play, with the free flight mode reminding me a little of the plane game on Wii Sports Resort. I'd probably say that the main party mode was the weakest part of the whole game. I enjoyed all of the side stuff much more and would love to see some of them fleshed out even further.

There were other things to do and unlock as well. Just today I found out you can take photos in the air balloon before you select a game mode to play. There were 30 random events that occur on the map that you need to snap. Again, I had a blast hunting all of these down. 

This is probably the most fun I've had with a Mario Party game in years and I certainly got a stupid amount of play time for my money.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

as someone who plays Mario Party on his own

why-friends.gif

That said, you're right, the side modes are truly excellent this time! Even if the rhythm one just cribs on the similar mode from Super Mario Party.

Edited by Glen-i

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Because there's no one else to play with. If not for you going over to Dcubed's place, you'd probably be in the same situation.

Fair point, but I wouldn't buy it in that case. Mario Party is built on multiplayer. Hell, I haven't bought it, seeing as multiple people can play online from the same Switch, there's no need.