N-Europe

Astro Bot (6th September 2024)

Julius

Just a couple of side notes... I've defeated the bird so the 1-2 or do levels after that to do, so maybe I haven't come across this yet, but did those bonus robots from the bullshit riddles have any impact? 

Also, just a small niggle, but prior to release in the Playroom in secret labo there was that portal which when you tried going in it gave you a prompt to the PS store. Did anyone else think it would take you to the game if you owned it and tried going through? It was the first thing I tried after installing as I thought it was going to be a nice touch, but it just tried selling it me again. I was devastated.

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hmm, okay.

So, my first reaction was: oof, that sounds a bit concerning. 

But then after a little ponder and some digging around, it also seems pretty great for a first big release for an IP? Which was only really building off a great reception to a niche game (in terms of audience size) in Rescue Mission because VR, and a pack-in title that I still think too many people probably skipped over. 

Meanwhile, Ratchet & Clank had been around for nearly two decades by the time Rift Apart came out, was one of only a few seriously big name releases in 2021 (I was looking back at what I played in 2021 just last night and my GOTY was Tsushima's DLC lol), sales were obviously inflated for a lot of things when it comes to games in 2020/2021 because COVID, so weirdly, I think that's a pretty decent turn out? 

Going back and dragging out some old tweets of Dring's, I found this:

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is no.1 in the UK boxed charts. Its sales are in line with some of the other new releases this year, such as New Pokemon Snap and Monster Hunter Rise. It sold three times more then Returnal at launch.

If Rift Apart sold 3x what Returnal did at launch and Astro Bot sold ⅓ less than Rift Apart at launch (physically) then, in the UK at least, it sold double what Returnal did. Which sounds pretty good on paper, obviously the install base has increased a good bit since then, but still. And roughly ⅔ of the likes of a Monster Hunter launch on Switch (just physical) is nothing to sneeze at, either. 

This is also not to mention that digital storefronts have only grown since Rift Apart, and I think the super late review embargo on this likely pushed people who heard about the game through word of mouth to pick it up digitally over physically. Heck, I've never thought about it before, but I wonder if that's part of PlayStation's idea behind such a late review embargo lift? 

I completely agree with the assessment of it likely having a longer tail, too. This is rightly going to be in GOTY conversations (and hell, for my money, has a brilliant shot at winning if Rebirth is its competition, for a whole number of reasons), it has released far out enough to get a decent discount for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and Christmas sales, etc. It being a lock-in for GOTY talks means it will be cemented as one of those "must-play" titles which is going to make a whole bunch of lists on IGN and the like in the next few years, and is one of few first-party PlayStation exclusives parents will find being recommended as perfect for kids, too. 

Guess we'll need to wait on official word to come down, but if it has sold a few million its launch weekend worldwide across digital and physical, which I feel like this goes some way to suggesting, I think that's a really great start. 

Edited by Julius

Sakurai has shared his enjoyment of the game: 

Cleared "ASTRO BOT" by rescuing 300 people.

This doesn't take that much time, but I found myself playing it for fun and interest.

Great game.

I want your time with the game to be satisfying!

And Asobi got back to him:

Always love to see things like this :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1