Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The 2024 Events Thread – La Li Lu Le Lo and Behold, E3 is Dead

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

"you're watching the Triple-i initiative".  Yes, I know that.  Thank you.

While I agree, I do think it was the right move for their first show, purely to get it stuck in your head. "Triple-i" as a corner of the industry isn't really discussed all that casually I find, and it's not being run by one of the big dogs or Geoff, so I think they were right to try to basically push awareness of the show on us for future reference. I know I certainly won't be like "what was that show earlier this year again, 'Quadruple-B Irrigation'?" later this year when we're waiting for shows to pop up, it'll be "'Triple-i' was super solid, really hope they turn up with another show!" :laughing:

Now, that being said, if they mention it more than an average of once every 15 minutes in their next show, then I'm going to change my tune, and they certainly can't return next time saying it nearly as many times as they did this time around. 

I do also wish they'd just take an extra beat for some of the release dates, some flashed up on-screen and we'd moved on a bit too fast for my liking. 

If you cast your mind back to the Level-5 Vision Showcase November 2023, you might remember that studio director Akihiro Hino wrapped things up with the announcement of another event in April 2024. Well, that event is no more as it has been announced that the expected showcase has been pushed to this summer.

These guys can't even get a showcase out on time. :D Such a mess of a company now.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't have much faith in the remake really, it'll probably be a competent game but I don't think Bloober are going to be able to nail the narrative tone and atmosphere in the same way as the original. I'm glad they seem to have taken some feedback on board and have made some changes to James' face, he looked so dopey in the reveal trailer - reminding me of that old Nathan Drake PS3 meme - but he still doesn't look right to me. 

I'll reserve me judgement on the remake until people actually get their hands on it but it really wouldn't surprise me if the reception is very tepid. I'm more interested in the new stuff but The Short Message didn't exactly give any indication that Konami know what they're doing with the franchise - visually it was a nice looking game but the writing was so poor, lacking in any subtlety, and the gameplay went from tense to tedious pretty quickly with those repetitive chase sequences. 

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know about the Silent Hill showcase. :grin:

Apparently, Capcom is not remaking RE1. It could be 0 the prequel, as well as CV.

We should know soon enough about Capcom's plans. They occasionally do a RE stream for any important updates on the series.

Couple more upcoming events to add to the pile of pre-Not-E3. 

Firstly, the Next Indie Direct was announced to be airing this Saturday (1st June) from 18:00 BST: 

And secondly, the Marvelous Game Showcase makes a return this year, streaming at 15:00 BST this Friday (31st May):

This broadcast will be 30 minutes and 30 seconds long. 

On 03/04/2024 at 7:21 PM, Julius said:

Ubisoft Forward returns live to LA on 10th June:

Guess this is when we're waiting until for blowouts on Outlaws and that Japanese Assassin's Creed game. 

Ubisoft Forward has now been confirmed to be taking place at 20:00 BST on June 10th, and yes, we're getting more on Star Wars Outlaws and Assassin's Creed Shadows:

Not-E3 Week™ is shaping up rather nicely! 

So I watched the Silent Hill showcase earlier on, alongside Michael Does Life. 

Konami didn't even show off that Japanese based game, or Townfall.

What they did show was fine. The nurses seem very nasty, just like they are in Homecoming. But when James, Maria and Laura are in the hospital, it's way brighter in this remake as the light comes in the windows. It's not a big deal, I guess, but the original game's hospital section was really creepy because it was dark, and I still think this 2024 version is just kind of inferior.

A lot of new horror games also lack music as well. What gives?

Anyone bother with the Marvelous Game Showcase 2024 (Marvelous AA4?), feat. MC Sora Amamiya?

• Project Magia : Now Farmagia. Intro video and characters shown. The theme song is sung by two of the character's voice actors.
  • Story of Seasons : Diligently under development! Footage shown (in-game but not gameplay). Focusing on the graphics and presentation. It is about feeling like you are truly experiencing nature and the four seasons. The nighttime lighting and fireworks that illuminate the sky are unlike anything the series has seen before. Flowers and veg updated. They are hard at work tweaking the seasonal weather to be just right. There will be a glider. Fluffy cow plushie out in July 2024 in Japan.
  • Bikkuriman Wonder Collection : Japan, mobile.
  • Pokémon arcade : Japan, 2024. 50-inch touchscreen. Win collectable plates— insert ¥100 to throw a Pokéball and you're guaranteed to get one.
  • Try Catch : Japan, Nov 2024. A crane game.
  • Naruto Arcade Battle :  coming to North America this summer.
  • Marvelous Indie Partner Line-Up
    • Bō: Path of the Teal Lotus : July 18th 2024
    • Death the Guitar : 2025
    • Moonlight Peaks : 2026
  • Rune Factory: Project Dragon : Diligently under development! RF series already marking its 18th anniversary. Protagonists shown, Earthmates with a new twist... the art of dance. Earth Dancers. Use parasols, drums, swords, and more. New weapons.
  • Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion : nothing more than a teaser.

No link yet for the Next Indie Direct, but it should be on their YouTube.

Trailer for Friday's Summer Game Fest:

Didn't cotton on at all to the fact that this was on Friday (and at 22:00, no less!), so not sure that I'll be tuning in live as I've got to be up and out bright and early on Saturday ::shrug: 

• Like 1

Geoff gave a Q&A the other day about what will and won't be there at this years SGF. Basically just trying to keep people's expectations in check.

- Thinks this will be a fun show but also says its a lighter year.

- Mentions Metaphor: Refantazio, Monster Hunter Wilds will be at the show.

- If you're looking for game, game, game as the presentation style? Forget it. Geoff said there will be around 10 or more developers up their on stage presenting.

- Admits its been a challenging year or so because of all the layoffs and studio closures, also mentions how its just been quieter in general as far as big studio games, but says that's opened up a place for games from smaller studios, mentions Palworld and Supermarket Simulator. Also points out that they're trying to have some unexpected games from smaller teams and independent studios.

- Thinks this will be a quieter year for game announcements from major studios. Talks about how people didn't like Sony's State of Play, but that he loved Astrobot.

- Says that no they don't have crazy things like a new GTA 6 trailer. Hopes they can show off games you didn't know about rather than all the big things everyone expects.

- Apologizes for the awkward timing for European viewers, admitted they changed the date from Thursday to Friday so people can watch without worrying about work the next day.

- Says the hardest part of putting together a show is balancing with all the other showcases that are around this time of year. Admits he always hopes developers are ready to show great games too since they can only get what people are ready to show.

- Someone asks about TGA giving more time to awardees this year, he says his plan is to try and fix that. Says the show is always evolving, but also knows they'll never make everyone happy as far as award time vs time for reveals, all they can do is keep tweaking. Will get into it more after SGF and Gamescom. (Personal opinion: if the devs get a ton of time and anyone complains, Geoff should come online personally and tell everyone to fuck off. Sit through those five minute speeches.)

- The show will be about two hours, with Day of the Devs and the Devolver Direct following afterward. Day of the Devs is supposed to be an hour, Devolver Direct is another half hour. (Note: Typically these shows run an hour and 40 minutes or so.)

- No music acts this year, everything's focused on games and trailers. No bands or orchestras, that stuff will be saved for TGAs.

- Doesn't want to get into hard numbers on games shown, just says "a lot". A lot of shorter moments for a bunch of games rather than one game taking up a ton of time, says it'll be an eclectic mix of games across the industry.

- Someone asks about indie games being there (lol), he talks about how there will be some games made by "single dev" teams, hypes up the Wholesome Direct. (Note: Go check out Guerilla Collective if you want indie titles.)

- Says he loves the folks working on Hollow Knight: Silksong, but thinks it'll be a while before we see/play it. (He doesn't say its NOT there but I'm gonna guess no.)

- Says the list of partners is incomplete, with some of them not wanting to be pre-promoting because of artificially raising expectations.

- Says his favorite SGF reveal might be Elden Ring, thanks FromSoftware and Miyazaki for letting him have the first look. Admits they could've done that anywhere else. His favorite E3 reveal was the PS3 press conference.

- Mentions how cool it'd be to let indie developers work on old-school PlayStation platformers. This doesn't seem like a hint, as he directly says he doesn't know if any of it exists.

- Someone asks how many gameplay trailers there will be, he says its a mix but that he always asks developers to give a glimpse of gameplay even if its only a few seconds. Specifically mentions Jurassic Park at TGA last year didn't have gameplay at first but he asked them to include a bit.

- Says a bunch of people asked him about Kingdom Hearts 4, but that "people are setting themselves up for failure".

- Someone asks will there be a healthy amount of narrative adventure games, he says genres are a mess now and asks what a lot of these genres even mean anymore. But says there WILL be cool single-player games, but that live service games will also be there since they take up so much of the playtime these days. Mentions Kingdom Come 2: Deliverance will be present with a new trailer, talks about how that's both narrative and action.

- Someone asks him about the infamous SGF 2022 year where "he only had zombie games and space games". He laughs it off, says they try to aim for variety normally. Also mentions there WILL be zombie games this year, is less clear about space games. (I'm guessing this means no Exodus there?) Talks about how they try to mix it up to make sure there's a reveal there for everyone.

- Someone asks about Wolf Among Us 2, he says there's no plans at SGF.

- "Does DLC ever get announced at Summer Game Fest?" He says he's not opposed, then thinks about how there will be a cool DLC trailer present this year.

- "How close to the show do they allow developers to apply to the show?" He mentions they've been full on games for about a month now. Mentions things always change, sometimes trailers get longer, or shorter or that developers sometimes will drop out. (Plans change lol.) He says they're also mostly decided on the Gamescom stuff too at this point, and they're working on TGAs reveals too.

- Batman: Arkham VR from Camoflaj will be present here.

- "Does SGF often feature games that were planned for TGAs but not ready in time?" He says kinda, as there are games that move around. Cites Elden Ring was originally going to be at TGAs but it got moved. Mentions everything we ask about he's probably emailed people about but the developers just aren't ready to show anything.

- "How many world premieres are we getting?" Geoff is not playing this game with y'all anymore. Straight up says he doesn't know and its hard to say lmao.

- "Bring back flute guy!" Geoff says hopefully, mentions the guy's probably on tour right now but that he should email him for TGAs.

- Geoff goes into detail about why Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo do their own shows. He gets into the history of that, I'm gonna leave it to y'all to watch the Q&A but its a good historical perspective. He does admit that he hopes Nintendo will one day get involved with SGF here.

- "On a scale of 1 to 10 how hyped are you for SGF?" He says 8. Mentions some great games will get a first showing, but talks about how expectations are usually so high so he doesn't know what a 10 is to people. He's usually at 7-8.

- Confirms he already knows some games showing up at TGAs.

- "Any chance for a Def Jam game?" Says it'd be cool but it's not at SGF.

- "Any muppets?" No Muppets, then asks if they've done too many or not enough muppets. Says potentially at TGAs but no plans lol.

- "What is the ratio between cinematic trailers and gameplay trailers?" Geoff says he doesn't have the math on that. (This was clever.)

- "Will Metal Gear Solid Delta be there?" No. (Lol, its Konami. Y'all shouldn't have even asked.)

- "Do you feel you and the team of SGF/TGA are filling the shoes of E3 now?" This is a longer answer but basically he says no, just that things have changed and you can't replace that but you can't keep looking backwards either.

- "Will there be many new reveals or just updates on announced games?" Says there will be SOME new announcements, but the show is largely focused on updates on existing games. TGA is usually about the new games. Says there are things that haven't been announced but will come out later this year. There won't be a lot of "coming in 2026/2027" type teasers here.

- No giveaways this year at SGF.

- "Will we get any shadowdrops?" He says he thinks so, but can't remember if they're during the show or shortly afterward. Admits leaks kinda ruin this.

- "No Judas updates?" He says he's very excited but there won't be any updates at SGF for it.

- Co-streaming is allowed without registering. Registering gets badges, makes it easier for Twitch drops and getting clearances.

- Geoff thought SEGA's multiple game announcements were cool. Said they talked with SEGA for years on that, only for SEGA to suggest doing all five at once. Said there won't be any sign of those games at Summer Game Fest, and it might be a while before any of them are ready.

- What non reveals are you excited to show? Says he's excited to show Dragon Ball Sparking ZERO, Metaphor, Monster Hunter Wild.

- Says he has no clue about Beyond Good and Evil 2 (your guess is as good as mine), hopes it shows up soon and isn't canceled.

- No Five Nights At Freddy's at their event, but they'll be announcing some stuff from Blumhouse Games.

- Expect a trailer for the Among Us animated series trailer

- No "one more thing" this year at this showcase, says he doesn't really like to do that at any of his shows. Jokes about the idea of the lights darkening and Gabe announcing Half-Life 3.

- No Josef Fares at SGF :(

• Like 1

Another Yacht Club Games Presents has been announced for (next) Friday 14th June at 19:30 BST, celebrating the 10th anniversary of Hollow Knight. 

Interesting...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Another Yacht Club Games Presents has been announced for (next) Friday 14th June at 19:30 BST, celebrating the 10th anniversary of Hollow Knight

Nice freudian slip there, Team Cherry have messed you up good :laughing:

Speaking of which...

MINA THE HOLLOWER RELEASE DATE FFS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

On 04/06/2024 at 8:07 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Geoff gave a Q&A the other day about what will and won't be there at this years SGF. Basically just trying to keep people's expectations in check.

Lol. The bar was so low already you'd think they'd have trouble to get under it, yet the hype man wants those expectations kept in check.

Much like the release calendar being out of control, I feel these showcases and directs have followed suit—too much to keep up with. I managed two so far before tapping out.

11 minutes ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

Anyone know what day Capcom will be there? 

You know how much we love Ca$hcom and their glorious RE remakes, etc. :kiss:

Not sure if they're having their own this year or if their news is just folded in with Summer Geoff Fest?

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Nice freudian slip there, Team Cherry have messed you up good :laughing:

The crazy thing is I actually think it might've been Mina the Hollower which set me on that path if anything :laughing: ah well, I'll leave it there, gave me a good chuckle. 

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Much like the release calendar being out of control, I feel these showcases and directs have followed suit—too much to keep up with. I managed two so far before tapping out.

Aye, definitely too much going on around the Not-E3 period these days, at this point I'm surprised my neighbours haven't announced one. Nintendo Directs and PlayStation events (the latter definitely much more of a mixed bag than the former) I'll still tune in for, as well as the occasionally Keighley event and everything else is pretty much ad hoc; kind of glad I'm away this weekend and so I don't really have the choice but to play catch-up on the updates and announcements when I get back!