N-Europe

Turok: Rage Wars - All N64 Games

Cube

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yup, me too. Completely unaware. Now I wanna try it.

@Dcubed, remind me. How's Ubisoft's track record for licensing games for NSO?

Err... non-existent?

Then again, Ubisoft have very few pre-PS1/Saturn/N64 console games in their back catalogue anyway (I believe the original Rayman was actually their first ever internally developed console game, as they were primarily a PC publisher until the early 2000s); so it's hard to tell if they'd be happy to license out anything for NSO... but I don't imagine that they'd say no to having RROW on the N64 NSO service if Nintendo wanted it.

To be honest though... I think Sony would be a bigger problem in this case... given that Sucker Punch Productions made this game (this was well before they were acquired as a first-party Playstation studio).  I don't know if they would have any control over the rights to this game, but if they did manage to wrangle them somehow? I can't imagine that they'd be happy to share what is essentially a first-party Playstation Studios game with Nintendo...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, unfortunately, a re-release seems unlikely, and I don't expect Sony/Ubisoft to ever do a remaster on PlayStation, either. An unofficial PC port, perhaps. 

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six

rain6-box-l.jpg

• NA release: 17th November 1999
  • PAL release: December 1999
  • JP release: N/A
  • Developer: Red Storm, Saffire
  • Publisher: Red Storm
  • N64 Magazine Score: 87%

rain6-002.jpg

While there were some games based on Tom Clancy’s work before this, Rainbow Six was the first major* game that used his name as a brand name. Published by Red Storm Entertainment (who were bought out by UbiSoft a few years later), this adapted one of Tom Clancy’s novels into video game, starting a massive franchise spanning multiple genres (although mostly shooters). The first Rainbow Six is a tactical-based shooter for PC that was ported to other platforms.

*The very first video game with the “Tom Clancy’s” name was Tom Clancy’s Politika, a digital version of a board game heavily inspired by Risk.

rain6-003.jpg

I remember playing this as a kid, and never got past the first level, being confused by one large component of the game: the planning. Before each mission, you get a layout of the level, as well as enemy placement and hostage locations. You can set waypoints for you and your team so you can plan your mission, ideally so you and the other squad can enter difficult rooms from different sides at the same time. Although I could never accurately plan anything.

rain6-007.jpg

The levels are quite small and compact, and it feels like the developers had higher ambitions than what the hardware could handle at the time – you can tell that they were going for some lovely looking areas, but the attempt to do so much detail just makes everything look blurry and ugly instead. The HUD fares better, with a really awesome map taking up a large corner of the screen (you can make it take up the full screen, or turn it off) that lets you see where enemies are.

rain6-009.jpg

Ultimately, though, I found that on easier difficulties, I could ignore the planning and shoot everyone, with some very generous auto aim. A lot of the time I didn’t even need to shoot, as before I could react, my teammate had already killed the enemy. In one part of the game, I walked around a river for a bit before heading up to a bridge, all the enemies were dead with a hostage kneeling in the middle of them. I had no idea who killed them all. The most difficult parts of the game are when enemies are above or below you, as the auto targeting only works horizontally.

rain6-006.jpg

In most levels, your objective is to rescue hostages, either by leading them to the extraction zone or taking out every enemy. On some of the more complicated levels (such as one that takes place in a theme park boat ride building), leading the hostages out of the area can be an issue due to them getting stuck on walls or objects, so I had to abandon my original plan and take out all the enemies instead. There are a few other missions where you have to download data instead, and one where you can’t be spotted at all.

rain6-011.jpg

On the N64, Rainbow Six feels a bit unfinished. The story is really poorly presented, and it really does feel like they’ve left stuff out instead of adapting it to the N64. The PC version is probably the one to play.

fine.png

Fine

It’s not all sweetness and silencers, though. Some of the missions are unexpectedly and disappointingly quick thanks to the CPU team polishing off their objectives – and yours – in a matter of minutes while, conversely, sometimes they just go completely haywire and take it upon themselves to wander into a roomful of terrorists and compromise your mission. hey also have a nasty habit of following right on your heels so that, when you end up at a dead ends, you turn around and find them right on you, often so close that you get stuck and have to plug them yourself, just to get them out of the way.

Tim Weaver, N64 Magazine #35

Remake or remaster?

A remaster or remake of the first few games combined would be nice.

Official ways to get the game.

The PC version is available on GoG and Ubisoft’s PC store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Cube changed the title to Rainbow Six - All N64 Games

Donkey Kong 64

dk64-box-l.jpg

• NA release: 22nd November 1999
  • PAL release: 6th December 1999
  • JP release: 10th December 1999
  • Developer: Rare
  • Publisher: Nintendo
  • N64 Magazine Score: 93%

dk64-014.jpg

After doing a great job with Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, Rare were given the job of bringing Donkey Kong into 3D. Instead of transforming the style of Donkey Kong Country into 3D, however, they instead went more into the style of Super Mario 64 and their own Banjo-Kazooie. This time, though, there are five playable characters, which is both one of the game’s strong points and the game’s weakest point.

dk64-018.jpg

With five characters come a lot of abilities. Thankfully, all the Kongs control roughly the same, even with their differences, meaning you can move to a new Kong and not have to re-learn the basics. That said, how the basic jumps and attacks are performed by each Kong is different, so there is some variety in simply how they move.

A few of the special abilities are also shared, each has their own gun and musical instrument that mostly work in the same way, while they have a crystal-powered ability that is unique: Lanky can run on his hands really fast, Diddy gets a Jetpack, Chunky becomes massive, Tiny becomes tiny and Donkey Kong becomes invincible. And that’s just one of their unique abilities.

dk64-008.jpg

Where the main issue lies in, though, is how so many collectables (and there are a LOT of them) are colour-coded and can only be collected by the Kong they’re tied to, so you’ll see some bananas in the wrong colour and need to make your way to a tag barrel to swap. However, I do think this problem is overblown, and it isn’t such a colossal hassle as some make out – and I have to make extra trips due to being colourblind (I can’t see the difference between the stuff for DK/Chunky or Tiny/Lanky). I’ve collected everything (which isn’t required to see the end of the game) a couple of times, and the biggest issue is some of the barrel challenges, rather than the collectables.

dk64-010.jpg

Some Golden Bananas – the game’s main collectable (although there are also regular bananas, banana medals, fairies, coins, blueprints, crowns, and keys) – are locked behind barrels containing minigames. What bananas these are seems a bit random – you’d think they’d mainly be easily accessible, but some are difficult to reach and then you have a minigame.

I think the minigames are more of a hindrance than the collectables are, very few are much fun, and some can be extremely difficult. Some were also designed with the N64’s poor framerate in mind, and are almost impossible on the Wii U virtual console (and emulators) without repeatedly pausing. It’s my least favourite aspect of the game.

dk64-012.jpg

The basic movement also feels off to me, and I find it more difficult to cross a thin path in DK64 than in games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie. The camera is also often a burden, but that was common in a lot of games of this era.

Still, despite these problems, the game is still an immense amount of fun. The levels are complex, and take a while to properly explore for the first time, with a ton of stuff to see and do. Donkey Kong 64 will take a significant amount of time to beat for the first time – that’s if you can beat it. When I was kid, I did everything except beating the original DK arcade for the second time, so I collected 101% of the Golden Bananas, but never saw the wonderful final boss.

dk64-006.jpg

Some levels also make use of lighting quite a lot, featuring dark areas lit up by torches, with fireballs flying over to temporarily light up the path. It seems like something basic now, but for the time it wasn’t common for lighting to be used in this way.

Donkey Kong 64 is a wonderful game, just one with some frustrating flaws. There’s a ton of wonder and imagination with a lot to discover, but the frustration with the thin platforms and the minigames does hamper the experience.

greatn64.png

Great

Then, like the sparkling ray of sunlight that signifies the end of the storm, this arrived. Donkey Kong 64 is everything a platformer, should be: vast, complex, beautiful to look at, and impossibly involving. While lesser games cower in the corner with their half-hearted controls and linear play, DK64 presents intricate puzzles, sprawling levels and magnificent sights that perfectly reflect how much real effort has gone into its making.

Mark Green, N64 Magazine #36

Remake or remaster?

A good remaster would be outstanding. Refine the controls and camera, add some options to help with collectables (remove the specific Kong requirement or give the option to swap Kong anywhere like a popular ROMhack does), and rebalance the minigames to work with good framerates.

There’s no official way to get Donkey Kong 64

Re-releases

2015: Wii U Virtual Console

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Cube changed the title to Donkey Kong 64 - All N64 Games

I appreciate that I am in the minority here, but I didn't like DK64 at all.

At the time it came out, I was looking forward to it because I was such a huge fan of Donkey Kong Country and I enjoyed Banjo Kazooie too, so on paper this should have been perfect. But it just never gelled. Controlling the Kongs never felt right to me, nor the camera. Even back then when I could sit and play a game for hours and try and get 100% in them, the sheer number of collectables was so overwhelming that I remember thinking there's no way that I will attempt collect them all. Mini-games were also quite bad from what I remember too, as Cube mentioned.

I found nothing about it was enjoyable and it was the first game I ever owned that I never finished, despite returning to it about 5 times.

If it ever does show up on NSO, I'd like to have another go.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I appreciate that I am in the minority here, but I didn't like DK64 at all.

I stand with you. Your good taste will not be alone!

How Banjo-Tooie gets lambasted to hell and back for being too sprawling, when this exists is beyond me! It also has far better mini games!

When this eventually comes to NSO, I will do the bare minimum to unlock the multiplayer things, and then bail. Cannot stand the idea of doing all that again.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Turok: Rage Wars

ragew-box-l.jpg

• NA release: 23rd November 1999
  • PAL release: 26th December 1999
  • JP release: N/A
  • Developer: Acclaim
  • Publisher: Acclaim
  • N64 Magazine Score: 87%

ragew-005.jpg

Taking a departure from the usual single-player focused Turok games, Rage Wars is focused entirely on multiplayer, with a large amount of deathmatch arenas and multiple game modes. And in this game, you can finally be the raptor and claw up your enemies. There’s also a giant bug creature that you can play as, swiping or using a long distance acid attack.

ragew-002.jpg

In terms of singleplayer, there’s no proper campaign, however there is still an immense amount of stuff you can do, as long as you’re fine with fighting bots. Each character has their own set of scenarios to fight through, leading up to unlocking a new character (until you have them all). It’s a lot like Unreal Tournament.

The bots are passable, but limited in options. Higher difficulty bots just have more guns and ammo, and they’ll ignore some stuff (like mines). The real meat of the game is the multiplayer, but there’s still a good amount of fun to have on your own.

ragew-006.jpg

Rage Wars did end up being very lucky in a way: it was originally going to compete with Perfect Dark (which had a more sophisticated multiplayer, deathmatch scenarios, and a singleplayer campaign), so it ended up getting a Christmas period as the main multiplayer shooter.

One other interesting thing about Rage Wars was that it initially released with a bug that made one of the models impossible to collect, however, a revision was released and Acclaim offered the opportunity to send the game back for a replacement.

funn64.png

Fun

So it’s in the multiplayer game that Rage Wars really comes alive. For all the side-stepping, missile-ducking ability of the bots, they can never match the conniving brilliance of a fellow human, and the amount of time spent on Rage Wars’ controls and level layouts means it lends itself perfectly to countless hours of enjoyable deathmatching. The Monkey Tag, in particular, is hilarious, with longs periods of silent, tension-fille monkey hunting tempered by chaotic, all-out battles for his hide. And until you’ve watched a monkey’s body parts fountain into the air, you haven’t lived.

Mark Green, N64 Magazine #35

Remake or remaster?

Nightdive allowing their Turok engine to be used for a remaster would be nice.

There’s no official way to get Turok: Rage Wars

• Thanks 1

• Cube changed the title to Turok: Rage Wars - All N64 Games