N-Europe

Ghosts N’ Goblins Resurrection

Dcubed

I think it looks quite nice myself.  It has that jerky motion that is emblematic of the series style.  It’s very reminiscent of Ultimate Ghosts N’ Goblins in particular.

If there’s anything that looks particularly off though, it’s the lack of dynamic lighting and the ugly looking HUD.

Gameplay looks hella fun though! I’m liking the look of the level design already :D 

Edited by Dcubed

I never completed the original game so I can't see if this is a remake or a new game. Great to see Arthur make a return though as Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is still one of my favourite SNES games.

But, I'm also not too excited about the looks. When I first saw it it looked like a cheap 3D render, it took me a while to see they are actually drawn graphics. Hopefully it'll grow on me a bit.

More (and higher quality) screens...

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/article/80e70977-97e9-4b14-9912-3bd5b9e84378

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202012/11211036.html

JQ2Kplc.jpeg

l6J9urE.jpg

mx8LSmu.jpg

FmEJRd5.jpg

KEWdl6j.jpg

Y3clvQa.jpg

12.jpg

01.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

Looks like there's some sort of way to power up your gold armour and increase your magic attack power this time around (and also some way to equip limited use magic ALA Ninja Gaiden NES?)...

18.jpg

There's also four(!) difficulties to choose from (With one being a Baby Mode of sorts that prevents you from fully completing the game)...

06.jpg

... the lower difficulty was actually shown in the trailer, as it allows Arthur to take more than one hit before his armour shatters (No doubt the highest difficulty follows the classic, Two Hits And You're Dead model; much like how Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins handled its difficulty settings).

Priced at 3600 yen (£26) and it's download only in Japan.  Basically just like Mega Man 11.

Well.  I'm sold! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I never completed the original game so I can't see if this is a remake or a new game. Great to see Arthur make a return though as Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is still one of my favourite SNES games.

But, I'm also not too excited about the looks. When I first saw it it looked like a cheap 3D render, it took me a while to see they are actually drawn graphics. Hopefully it'll grow on me a bit.

It's a new game, but it does seem to be taking quite a few elements from the second game in the series (Ghosts n' Goblins); the Windmill stage shown here is very similar to the one from Ghouls n' Ghosts, while the Worm boss and the Twin Gargoyles seem to be making a return from it too.

Most of it looks new though.

Man, I am SO incredibly pumped to FINALLY be getting a new Gn'G game!! It's my favourite Capcom series! :D 

I wasn't much of a fan of Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins though, as they shoved loads of RPG elements into it and watered down the pure arcade pacing and balls hard level design as a result (and no, the JPN only revision doesn't fix its fundamental problems).  But this? This looks like the real deal!

Hell Yeah!!! I'm so stoked! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Website is up now, and it comes with new details!

https://www.ghostsn-goblins.com/resurrection/us/

gameplay-stage_img01.png

Branching level paths are in! (ALA The GBA version of Super Ghouls N' Ghosts! Which is awesome BTW!).  Seems like certain levels will be specifically inspired by Ghosts n' Goblins, while some will be inspired by Ghouls n' Ghosts (which explains why some looked so similar during the trailer); while others will simply just be completely new.

Not sure if I'm keen on the idea of the Umbral Tree (skill tree) though... The RPG stuff sucked balls in UGnG, so I'm not exactly thrilled to see this... Still, if it's handled more like Devil May Cry/Bayonetta than UGnG, it could still be good.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"At first it felt strange, but then it seeped in" - very rough translation of a Portuguese saying

That's how I feel about the art style. Didn't look right at first, but I'm getting a quaint "medieval painting" vibe out of it, and I'm sure it'll look much better in action. Feels like they could've gone full Monty Python with it.

That said, I'm not the biggest G&G fan on the block, but I'm still happy to see the series get the "Mania" treatment.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ha ha ha ha! It just took me about 3 hours to beat the first level!

This game’s difficulty is insane! I couldn’t even get to the halfway point of the first level on Legend difficulty, even after an hour & a half of trying! I had to bump it down to Knight difficulty in the end... which is still crazy hard!

This is easily the hardest game in the series, no question.  Legend mode makes the previous Gn’G games look like Yoshi’s Story in comparison! :o

Me thinks I’ll be sticking with Knight difficulty for my first play through... which is still probably harder than any other Gn’G game; let alone the absolute masochism that is Legend difficulty!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, after having a play around with the difficulty settings? It’s pretty obvious that Knight difficulty is what the game was really designed around; with every other mode being an offshoot of Knight.

So the difficulty modes are basically as follows...

Page = Assist Mode (This is Squire but with Invincibility enabled, and you aren’t allowed to play the game to completion)

Squire = Easy Mode (Reduced number of enemies, Arthur can take 4 hits before dying)

Knight = Normal Mode (Standard number of enemies; 3 hits and you’re dead)

Legend = Bullshit Bonkers Mode (Increased number of enemies, 2 hits and you’re dead, all red checkpoints removed - You get a mid-level checkpoint, a Boss checkpoint and that’s it).

On paper, Legend sounds closest to the standard Gn’G difficulty... However.  The levels are MUCH longer than in previous games and are just much more relentless and difficult than in previous games (if you can believe it!).  It does feel like the game was designed around the more forgiving Knight difficulty (which lines up with what they say in Dev Diary 3; where they say that Knight difficulty is closest to the classic Gn’G experience and that Legend is for people that want to “up the ante” even more).

So for long time fans of the series? I recommend you play on Knight difficulty, don’t bother with Legend until you’ve beaten the game at least once (and feel like driving yourself insane!).  Legend really should’ve been an unlockable difficulty that you get for beating the game on Knight; it should not be the first one listed!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man! Level 4’s gimmicks are SO COOL!! Love it! :D Legitimately have never seen anything like it in a 2D platformer before!

This game has some fantastic level design! So multifaceted!! So intricate and well paced! Way better than the meandering & confused levels in Ultimate Gn’G! I miss this kind of game so much!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Just to give you an idea of how utterly ridiculous Legend difficulty is...

This man is The Mexican Runner.  He is one of the very best speedrunners in the world; holding many, MANY world records in various Gn'G games and other classic titles like Battletoads and Cuphead.

It took him 12 HOURS to beat Legend mode! :o 

When even the literal best Gn'G player in the world is struggling with Legend mode? You start to realise that Capcom might've gone a bit too far with it lol!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1