NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Sony have also bought Firesprite, a Liverpool-based studio, who in term have bought Fabrik games, a Manchester-based studio. Both companies were formed from staff who used to be part of Studio Liverpool. 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

@Julius

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rjrkzb134tb1c1zdgw

Hehe :p 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9524c6ae22193820575e

FINALLY ! 

Well deserved for them to have the security of being picked up by someone, and I'm grateful it's someone that they've partnered with extensively (was starting to worry a bit that someone like Tencent could be sniffing about), should hopefully mean a smooth transition and, depending on if there next game is a remake or new IP...maybe we'll see something next year. 

The best is yet to come:p

EDIT: from Famitsu, seems Marco will be leading a team working on a new IP. 

So what role does Bluepoint play in PlayStation Studios? I think it's natural to predict that "more remakes or remasters will come", but there is a possibility that you can make an original blockbuster or go to the help of other studios.

Herman Hulst : Bluepoint is a remastered master, so you can see the impression. There is no reason not to let it happen in the future.

But first and foremost, I would like to mention that the team at this studio, led by Marco, will be working on the original content . It will be revealed in the future what it will be like.

But they are flexible. As Marco mentioned earlier, I've worked with different teams, so I'm familiar with how our team works, what skills we have, and we've worked with different art styles. .. This is a great way to get started working together as they are starting original content for PlayStation Studios.

metal-gear.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Ahh.  They can finally use the leaked picture now :p

So that's all of Sony's major long-time partners bought out now? Took 'em a while, but they got there!

Wonder if Lucid Games will be next on Sony's shopping list...

PlayStation in Canada and Japan testing out the ability to share screenshots and clips in the PlayStation app. 

Must be nice. Hope we don't have to wait too long to see it over here! 

PlayStation in Canada and Japan testing out the ability to share screenshots and clips in the PlayStation app. 
Must be nice. Hope we don't have to wait too long to see it over here! 
Seems a bit uneccessary. What's wrong with taking a screenshot, uploading it to a third party website that requires a different account such as Twitter, and then either sharing it from there or downloading it on another device to send at your leisure?

Sony Group has published its financial report for the second quarter of FY2021 ended September 30th, revealing that it shipped an additional 3.3 million PlayStation 5s over the last quarter.

Since its release in November 2020, PS5 has shipped 13.4 million units to date.

Got it from here.

Absolutely crazy numbers since we're still in times of global chip shortages. 

As they did last year before the launch of the PS5, Sony are chartering some planes to help get the consoles distributed ahead of Christmas. And this time it's three Boeing 747's...

A year on and the PlayStation 5 remains just as difficult as ever to get a hold of. In an attempt to improve the situation, Sony has chartered three Boeing 747 jumbo jets, which will deliver 50 pallets of consoles each to Europe.

Sony has confirmed to The Sun that it has chartered several Boeing 747 aircraft solely to transport PlayStation 5 consoles to Europe. Each aircraft will fly 50 pallets of consoles from Seoul to London, which will then be separated into 12 articulated lorries. Apparently, each pallet is 3 metres wide, giving a sense of how many consoles Sony will pack onto each pallet.

So far, Sony has chartered three flights, scheduled for this month. However, Sony will charter another two flights for the middle of the month, bringing the pallet count to approximately 250. Presumably, Sony does not think that cargo ships could deliver enough PlayStation 5 consoles to Europe in time for Christmas.

I don't know what they're doing speaking to The S*n, but hey-ho. 

Anyways, has anyone else noticed or seen more PlayStation advertising around than normal as of late? I was out in Birmingham earlier today and there was a massive billboard with Nathan Drake, Aloy, Atreus and Kratos plastered over it. Cool to see out in the wild, they're definitely gearing up for Christmas!

That still doesn't seem like very many. 150 pallets for the whole of Europe?

Maybe they're concerned about their carbon footprint.

12 hours ago, Julius said:

Anyways, has anyone else noticed or seen more PlayStation advertising around than normal as of late? I was out in Birmingham earlier today and there was a massive billboard with Nathan Drake, Aloy, Atreus and Kratos plastered over it. Cool to see out in the wild, they're definitely gearing up for Christmas!

Didn't know you lived here.

Saw someone with a Game bag with a PS5 in it so it seems they can be found in the wild!

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Didn't know you lived here.

Saw someone with a Game bag with a PS5 in it so it seems they can be found in the wild!

Yep, for better or worse! :peace:

And wow, yeah it's crazy because I don't think I've seen a PS5 other than my own in-person at this point, but it seems like stock might - slowly - be getting there! 

PlayStation Direct has gone live in Germany, with the UK, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg set to follow soon. 

Took them long enough :p

@RedShell it looks Like The Tomorrow Children is being revived. I seem to remember you were into this back in the day. I did play it a bit and thought it was a shame to see it shut down - really surprising to see that it will be coming back.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

@RedShell it looks Like The Tomorrow Children is being revived. I seem to remember you were into this back in the day. I did play it a bit and thought it was a shame to see it shut down - really surprising to see that it will be coming back.

Holy shit! :o That is fantastic news, thanks for the heads up. :)

Really hope with Q-Games having the rights back they will bring it over to PC now as well.

Sony has reduced PS5 production for the fiscal year from 16 million to 15 million units. The chip shortage claims another victim. 

Today it's been a year since the PS5 landed in the UK and Europe, as well as many parts of the world not called Australia, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand or North America. Because those lucky sods got the thing a week earlier :p

The last year has flown by!

How's everyone feeling a year about the PS5 a year in? What do you think of the DualSense a year removed from Astro's Playroom? And what's been your favourite next-gen / console exclusive game or DLC so far? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

How's everyone feeling a year about the PS5 a year in?

My favourite console ever. Sorry PS4, but you suck now! :p 

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

What do you think of the DualSense a year removed from Astro's Playroom?

The only truly next-gen feature so far. Yes, faster loading times and better graphics are great, but the DualSense is a game changer. Especially Returnal's way to use the rumble for directional signals was eye-opening.

8 minutes ago, Julius said:

And what's been your favourite next-gen / console exclusive game or DLC so far?

Easy: ReturnalHousemarque's first AAA game is a masterpiece. That reminds me: still need to get that Platinum. Maybe something for my last gaming achievement in 2021 :D 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Julius said:

How's everyone feeling a year about the PS5 a year in?

Meh.

It's been ok, but nothing more. My best experience has been playing the Mass Effect trilogy and Immortals Fenyx Rising. 

Miles Morales was fun but more of the same, Ratchet looked pretty and that's about it, and Ghost of Tsushima (port) bored me to tears. I didn't play Returnal (£70 at launch? puhlease).

The OS is snappy but a step down, and it was obvious Activity Cards were a pointless waste of time when they announced them, let alone a year in. 

Not a great first year software-wise but hopefully next year will be an improvement with God of War and Horizon. I just hope Sony finally mixes up their cookie cutter openworld formula for the latter. Unlikely though.

Edited by Ronnie

47 minutes ago, Julius said:

How's everyone feeling a year about the PS5 a year in? What do you think of the DualSense a year removed from Astro's Playroom? And what's been your favourite next-gen / console exclusive game or DLC so far? 

A great thing for me is how the teething period when a new console releases is mostly gone. By that I mean that you would have to start again from scratch without too much new software. Because it's back compatible from the off it feels like a natural continuation from the PS4 and not at all jarring.

We're at the point now where you're never going to see a PS1 to PS2 style jump, that's just outside the realms of possibility. But the improvements we are seeing now are still really great from a QoL perspective. Fast loading and stable framerates (usually 60 FPS), and boosts to existing PS4 games that are practically transformational (thinking Ghost of Tsushima). I think Astrobot really showed off the new technology and I've enjoyed playing PS5 versions of games (as well as Demon's Souls). Really hotly anticipating Elden Ring now.

Edited by Sheikah

On 19/11/2021 at 12:56 PM, Julius said:

It's been a pretty positive experience overall.  The DualSense controller does make the DualShock 4 feel like something that came from a Fisher Price set.  Only downside I've had is the DualSense that came with my PS5 broke after 6 weeks, however Sony's Customer Service was pretty good.  Took about 10 days from when I called in to getting a replacement, which is still going strong nearly 11 months later.

Probably would have had a replacement next day if it wasn't for lockdown.  Would have gone to GAME and swapped it out.

Having backwards compatibility to PS4 right out the box was ideal, it meant I didn't have to rush through and finish a game off or have to swap back across to the older system to play something.  Plus, the DualSense works for PS4 titles, so didn't need to swap back to the DualShock, however even these work straight away on PS5 without needing a special adapter.  Playing PS4 titles with a near solid 30/60fps was a great upgrade.  More so using the SSD to run the games from, I have since bought an external SSD for PS4 games.

PS5 games, can't fault what I've played.  I'm not a huge fan of Sony's idea of upgrading PS4 games to PS5 versions at a small cost, when the likes of Microsoft with Xbox can offer Smart Delivery for last gen to next gen upgrades.  Thats not to say that all upgrades on PS5 cost, some games like Crash 4, Little Nightmares 2 and Miles Morales were free PS4 to PS5 upgrades, whilst Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima were £10-20 upgrades.  Playing Ratchet and Clank on PS5, that was impressive.  Astro Playroom, well that was nothing short of a highlight showing off what the console can do.

Overall, it's been a pretty good 1st year for PS5.  2022 is shaping up to be better, just hoping that stock issues are resolved by then so more people other than scalpers can buy a machine.

Cool article about what devs think about the DualSense 

Finally engaging your sense of touch alongside sight and sound can dramatically increase the quality of immersion.

This is so true. I will always remember the second boss fight in Returnal. It swoops in from off screen and you can hear the direction it comes from but you can also feel it. It's like directional hearing with your hands :D 

Something I think that needs to be stated more often: The DualSense's features never feel overpowering, they are never the focus of what's happening. They are (a sizable) addition that kind of feel natural. 

I've said it many times: the DualSense is the next-gen feature and one of the greatest additions to gaming in a long time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Cool article about what devs think about the DualSense 

This is so true. I will always remember the second boss fight in Returnal. It swoops in from off screen and you can hear the direction it comes from but you can also feel it. It's like directional hearing with your hands :D 

Something I think that needs to be stated more often: The DualSense's features never feel overpowering, they are never the focus of what's happening. They are (a sizable) addition that kind of feel natural. 

I've said it many times: the DualSense is the next-gen feature and one of the greatest additions to gaming in a long time.

It’s almost as if Switch didn’t already have these features almost 5 years ago or something…

• Haha 1