NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

7 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Plus already costs 10 dollars a month if you are to pay by the month, instead of annually.

Ah, makes sense. I never even look at the monthly prices. Thanks for the info.

Anybody playing Ghostrunner? @Hero-of-Time you wanted to give it a go, I think?

Have played the first level and it's as awesome as I remember from playing it on my sister's Xbox One. Load times are snappy so you don't feel bad for too long after dying :p 

Will jump back in later tonight and progress some more. Gotta get used to the controls a bit, though. Had to customize them because none of the default layouts appealed to me.

16 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've got it downloaded but not played it yet. Too busy with other games at the moment. 

Fair. Can't wait to read about the 8 games you've already complete since Elden Ring :p 

As I mentioned I've started playing Ghostrunner. It's tough. I kinda don't want to see how difficult later levels will be :D 
Also started Slay the Spire again. Can't believe I don't have the Platinum, even though it's my favourite game (yes, I said Elden Ring is also on top spot, but I may have to actually demote it to #2 because that deck-building-rogue-like is too good). 

What needs to be done for the Platinum? First of all...reaching the highest difficulty (i.e. Ascension 20) and beating it.

Spoiler

Slay-the-Spire-20220318095525.jpg

Almost 120 hours for the PS4 version. 60 wins, 294 deaths. Most of which came from climbing the Ascension ranks with The Defect. I've been stuck on Ascension 18 for hours and took a break from the game for months.
Yesterday...first run with The Defect after a long time and bam. Gg, ez win. :laughing: I didn't even have a necessarily overpowered deck, I just played very well.

Spoiler

Slay-the-Spire-20220318095512.jpg

Now bosses are more difficult...

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116310f4e2b530c5ab03891c4fc1e8f6404e31c771&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

What comes after Ascension 20? Stuff like win the run without picking up relics, or with only 5 cards, or in under 20 minutes...yeah, I'll cross that bridge later :p 

Also: Why am I using the PS5 thread for this? Don't know, don't care, shut up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/18/2022 at 10:06 AM, drahkon said:

First of all...reaching the highest difficulty (i.e. Ascension 20)

Well, that didn't take too long. I've won an Ascension 19 run. :peace: That final boss fight was a war of attrition. Lots of Frost orbs, few damage dealing cards. Pair that with a boss that heals 15 HP every turn and yeah...it took me a while to win  :D 

One more step to the hardest challenge in Slay the Spire: Winning an Ascension 20 run.

Now what does the final difficulty add? You fight a second boss in Act 3 (the fight starts immediately after the first Act 3 boss). :o 

I'm ready!

My my, they haven't even released a game and they're already part of the Playstation Studios family? Sony must like what they're doing with their live service game.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, drahkon said:

My my, they haven't even released a game and they're already part of the Playstation Studios family? Sony must like what they're doing with their live service game.

Huh. 

I'm really curious to see how this turns out, it's one thing working together and then acquiring a studio as has been the case for a fair few of PlayStation's big acquisitions over recent years (Insomniac, Bluepoint, Housemarque), but acquiring a studio before it's even got a game out is massively risky. 

So, it's probably for one of, or a combination of, these reasons:

• the team's vision is something PlayStation thinks is genuinely great and they may have just clicked and work really well with PlayStation Studios as is. I'm imagining a Rian Johnson with Lucasfilm situation where they announced his trilogy before TLJ came out (hopefully this pans out a bit better). 

• they saw $$$$$ signs in their eyes and were foaming at the mouth of the microtransaction possibilities of whatever game they're working on. 

• someone else was sniffing around and PlayStation felt pressured to buy them up. 

I'd love to say it was for a combination of the first and third reason, but what we've seen with GT7's microtransactions has tainted my perspective on the direction is going in, so while I think it could be a combination of all three...I'm leaning to the second reason probably being a big factor in this. Just a hunch, and probably not what I would have said a few weeks ago before GT7, but they want 10+ live service games out by 2025, and buying a studio in the process of making one outright just means they see more of the money. 

I'm also really curious to see if Jade Raymond sticks around. She's been a great studio builder over the last however many years with Ubisoft Montreal, EA Motive, and, well, for better or worse, the disillusioned Google's Stadia Games & Entertainment corner of Google Studios, but, probably through no fault of her own, has constantly been moving on. 

Looking into her past more, it's interesting to note that she's pretty much come full circle, as she programmed at Sony and then helped create Sony Online Entertainment (now Daybreak, who are independent), who were in charge of R&D and maintaining, creating, and adding to online games like EverQuest back in the day. 

Can't say I'm too fussed about this studio. The fact that the game is going to be a live service one means I'll probably never play it.

Today's system update:

I've either completely missed it previously in an update or they've just failed to mention it, but didn't realise that there's now an option at the bottom when you tap 'Options' on a game on the PS5 home screen which keeps it on the home screen. Either way, that's really neat. Also like the clean-up of the UI, especially with trophies on trophy pages having a pattern and colour to denote a trophy grade. 

Now give us folders you monsters :p

Edited by Julius

THEY'VE FINALLY UPDATED THE APP TO ACCESS SCREENSHOTS AND CLIPS OVER HERE!

Finally! :D

Looks like we're finding out what's up with Project Spartacus next week:

I'm pessimistic about the whole thing based on what we've heard from reports so far, but at this point I'm honestly just really curious to see what it actually looks like. If there's trophy support for any classic games on the service then they'll have my attention (and I'm not even really a trophy hunter, I just think that'd be super cool), otherwise...eh.

Also curious how many times we'll see this turn up in articles next week if it is revealed :p

58c05efa1d000037037cd491.jpeg?ops=scalef

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

If their new first party games don't appear on day 1 of release on this service? Then it's no Game Pass competitor.  End of.

Edited by Dcubed

This thread will be great next week. :p 

I just wanna know if the current offering will remain at its current price point @bob
And whether tier 2 will be worth it (depending on what games it'll offer and how expensive it'll be).

Edited by drahkon

Also, calling it now, the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games will be made playable via cloud streaming; not actual native hardware emulation.

Edited by Dcubed

It’s actually really interesting watching this unfold. With gamepass I’ve always felt that in the long run it couldn’t be sustained for the price they were offering it for and the compensation they’d have to be paying publishers to get games on day 1 etc and it feels like that’s possibly what we’re seeing here with Sony’s version. Feels like a battle between short term and long term planning (not sure if I’m explaining my point very well so apologies if I’m not getting it across).

Ive said before with gamepass that it’s not a service I’m all that interested in and I like to own my games so I doubt I’ll get this but as I also said before, a retro version of these services would peak my interest so I’ll be watching out for that. It was what always tempted me with PS Now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Ive said before with gamepass that it’s not a service I’m all that interested in and I like to own my games so I doubt I’ll get this but as I also said before, a retro version of these services would peak my interest so I’ll be watching out for that. It was what always tempted me with PS Now.

This is where I stand as well. I have zero interest in a Game Pass style service and given how well Sony's first party software sells, I don't think they need one. However, the prospect of playing games from past PS consoles does interest me a great deal. 

Even when the first rumours emerged about this service it always seemed a better comparison to makes was with  what Nintendo offer with their NES/SNES/N64 services rather than what MS were offering with Game Pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PS+ has been godawful for a few years now, so anything would be an improvement on the status quo... right?

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Even when the first rumours emerged about this service it always seemed a better comparison to makes was with  what Nintendo offer with their NES/SNES/N64 services rather than what MS were offering with Game Pass.

I 100% agree with this, and I still find it incredibly confusing that that's the case when this has been rumoured for so long - what, nearly 6 months now I think, with more and more details coming every time? - that comparisons are still being made to Game Pass. 

Then again, as always, it's a vocal minority of people who aren't PlayStation fans (not calling out anyone on here, but definitely seen it elsewhere) who seem keen to make the comparison. Maybe one day PlayStation does get to the point where they have to do that, but for now, they have enough consoles out in the wild and sell a crazy amount of copies with first party releases, something Xbox was frankly struggling with and resulted in their transition to Game Pass and xCloud. 

I'm really curious to see how the retro side of it is handled, because yeah, I think it's clear that - on here at least - that's what we're collectively most interested in. Do they have third parties onboard? If so, are we just expecting the usual suspects to support it and, for example for PS1, get a similar slate to the Classic? What's the rollout going to look like: is it going to be a drip feed, or a good chunk all at once? 

So many questions, hopefully we see some answers next week! Personally I'm just really hoping we see some Konami representation in MGS titles and Suikoden, specifically V as it never made it's way to PSN on PS3 like I to IV did. 

29 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Also, calling it now, the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games will be made playable via cloud streaming; not actual native hardware emulation.

I don't think that would be too surprising, especially with what all of these reports have said. 

At best I think PS1 and PS2 could be made playable through native emulation (I mean, I think they all could be, I just see them wanting to take the cheapest and easiest route, whatever that is), but I don't see them going that far with PS3. From what I've heard PS Now is much better on PS5, and that service already has a modest slate of PS3 titles available to stream. 

• Like 1

More than anything else, I just want the abilty to play PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3 games natively on a modern console.

If Sony offered them up for sale like they used to back in the PS3 era? I'd buy a PS5 straight away.  Anything that would let me just retire the ol' PS3 that's still hooked up to my living room TV would earn my money more or less immediately.

37 minutes ago, Julius said:

I'm really curious to see how the retro side of it is handled, because yeah, I think it's clear that - on here at least - that's what we're collectively most interested in. Do they have third parties onboard? If so, are we just expecting the usual suspects to support it and, for example for PS1, get a similar slate to the Classic? What's the rollout going to look like: is it going to be a drip feed, or a good chunk all at once? 

So many questions, hopefully we see some answers next week! Personally I'm just really hoping we see some Konami representation in MGS titles and Suikoden, specifically V as it never made it's way to PSN on PS3 like I to IV did. 

At best I think PS1 and PS2 could be made playable through native emulation (I mean, I think they all could be, I just see them wanting to take the cheapest and easiest route, whatever that is), but I don't see them going that far with PS3. From what I've heard PS Now is much better on PS5, and that service already has a modest slate of PS3 titles available to stream. 

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. A lot of PS1 and PS2 games are probably caught in licensing/publisher hell at this point and PS3 games will no doubt be streaming only, as you said. It's the same as Nintendo's subscription service. I've enjoyed playing the various games that have arrived on it so far but there are a stupid amount that have yet to show up and most of them that I want to play wont ever make an appearance. I imagine it will be the same here.

2 hours ago, Julius said:

From what I've heard PS Now is much better on PS5, and that service already has a modest slate of PS3 titles available to stream. 

It is.
Have tried a few PS3 titles back when I had a trial run of PS Now and even with my below average internet speed the games were perfectly playable.
That being said, I will always prefer downloading games instead of streaming them :p 

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It is.
Have tried a few PS3 titles back when I had a trial run of PS Now and even with my below average internet speed the games were perfectly playable.
That being said, I will always prefer downloading games instead of streaming them :p 

Didn’t they make PS Now games downloadable as well a few years ago?

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Didn’t they make PS Now games downloadable as well a few years ago?

Not PS3 games.

• Thanks 1

This thread will be great next week.  
I just wanna know if the current offering will remain at its current price point [mention=229]bob[/mention]
And whether tier 2 will be worth it (depending on what games it'll offer and how expensive it'll be).
It's understandable because you are German and your English isn't so good, but we just say 'price'. The word 'point' is unnecessary and superfluous.
  • Haha 2