NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Wow, didn’t realise it’s been that long! :o

Yeah, you getting NSO prompted me to look up when he was added. I was as shocked as you are!

EDIT: Woops, made a new page.

Time format tonight at 8pm.

I expect @RedShell to be up for it tonight. This will be the first time he'll be playing since "Sora Night" back in October 2021.
I assume he'd like to bring some of his expertly crafted custom stages with him, so I'm tweaking the usual standard setup.

Custom Stages will be allowed. Previously, I just set the stage selection to Random, and left it to the game. The only stage I removed from the selection process was Palutena's Temple, because it's way too massive. I'll be adding "Custom Stages" to the "Banned from Random Selection" because there's no way I can guarantee that the random Custom Stage won't get broken by whatever format we might be doing.

Now, it'd be pointless to allow Custom Stages, only to not allow random to choose it, so stage selection will be set to "Choice". As a reminder, this works similar to how picking characters in Arenas works, so you can just leave it on random, if you're not fussed. If you do decide to pick a stage, avoid sticking with one choice for too long. There's 114 stages, plenty of variety there.

I don't know if this got patched out, but there's a weird quirk with how stage selection functions in Arena. If someone picked a stage, the people who picked random would have no effect on the actual stage picked. If this is still the case, I'll leave it to @RedShell's judgment for when to choose custom stages, and when to revert back to the standard fare. This is also why I suggest that people don't stick too long with one stage.

Finally, there'll be times where we'll have 6 regular participants, so I'll take the time to remind you that in this scenario, the bottom 2 people will be swapped out of the next match, so if people hop out of the arena to change character/stage, try to remember if you have to step out of the arena to let them back in when applicable.

Anyway, thanks for cooperating.

Edited by Glen-i

Ah, The return of @RedShells stages. Some fun, some wield but 99% plain stupid. And we love them. Death balls that trap you, a square box you can’t get out of and everyone is at 900% damage, can’t wait. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, sorry @Ike. This has turned into a custom stage fest. 

It’s really weird seeing the original versions of some of my older stages. Complete with bugs. :heh:

*EDIT*

Cheers for the games everyone!

:peace:

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 3

The bugs are features in this case :laughing:

I missed those crazy stages.  Was mad fun! :peace:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Sorry, this isn’t fun for me, I’m out.

Yeah, had a feeling that wouldn't be your cup of tea.

But I thought up a way for everyone to be happy. Because gaining one regular only to lose one because it's not fun for them would suuuuuck.

So here's what I'm thinking @RedShell, I open up the arena half an hour earlier for Custom Stage Shenanigans, once 7:55 rolls around, then I restart the arena with the more normal setup I use.

That way, @Ike can just wait until 8 to join and still have a similar experience to what he likes. But us chaotic lot get our fix of silly, unbalanced mayhem!

That cool for both of you?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That cool for both of you?

I wouldn’t be able to join that early. How about standard stages from 8pm for an hour and a half, then 30 mins of custom mayhem?

Anyway, the last thing I want is to be responsible for people not having fun or dropping out, so even if you just keep it 100% standard stages, I’m totally cool with that. :) 

43 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I wouldn’t be able to join that early. How about standard stages from 8pm for an hour and a half, then 30 mins of custom mayhem?

Anyway, the last thing I want is to be responsible for people not having fun or dropping out, so even if you just keep it 100% standard stages, I’m totally cool with that. :) 

I'm not particularly fussed either way, but if @Ike still wants to hang around for the full 2 hours, then I would rather he did, and keep it normal stages only.

• Like 1

Thanks for the games. :smile:

There were a decent amount of X2 matches, but with the randomness of the custom stages, character selection didn't matter much... until it did.

It was fun to play some custom stages, especially the ones with a theme and one main gimmick, but I can also understand why some of the custom stages could be summed up as... "OK, that's cool for what it is, but it's not really Smash as such" even though, Smash multiplayer is about the laughs and the unpredictability of it all... when you're not really fighting, so much as just trying to knock each other into an obvious and almost unavoidable hazard repeatedly, it's a different kind of game. ::shrug:

But... I still maintain that seeing Ridley climb up a tall ladder and slide down it, is one of the most oddly enjoyable things in the game. :D

I do enjoy some of the more 'standard' custom stages though, and it's great to have @RedShell back playing Smash again, and assuming that there will be more custom stages in the future, especially to go alongside certain games coming out, I'd love to see any new stages that you come up with, at least once or twice, as the amount of detail which goes into them is astounding. :)

Playing on the base stages is still fundamental to a decent Smash session though, so maybe there could be a chance for any new stages which anyone has created to be showcased at the start for a few matches... say ten minutes or so, unless it's a theme night which might require custom stages of course, then the rest of the session can be base stages.

We seem to have a good thing going with N-E Saturday Smash sessions, so it'd be cool if we can carry on and find a way so that we can all still play and enjoy the game without unintentionally alienating anyone, as though I did enjoy the range of custom stages as a one-off, I can understand why @Ike didn't find the custom stages enjoyable.

I reckon there is potential to include some custom stages though, so long as they aren't too gimmicky, heck... maybe we should all make a stage one week, if we can find the time... but generally, I'm happy to mostly play standard stages, while appreciating the artistic merit and creativiity of custom stages once in a while.

With all of that said, I am glad that I was able to share all of the custom stages in the stream.

Here's a link to this week's stream... :peace:

- - - - -

custom-ac0aee31-b1e0-4b15-88e6-642a2ba992ca-640x360.jpeg

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (22/07/2023)

- - - - -

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 2

Man I've missed that. 

OK, so yeah I agree with what's been said here. Whilst that was hilarious and had us in stitches, a full night of that can't be done each and every week. I loved throwing everyone into the barrels with Isabelle and winning by over 10 points but I also understand that that should be a very limited thing. I enjoy the custom stages and the fun they bring, but I also enjoy a good old fashioned Smash fight on a regular stage to see who's the best. (or who just doesn't mess up the most).

I'd be OK with whatever is decided, be it half an hour before for custom, only selecting custom stages which are not like the barrel stage, there are some good regular custom stages in the mix. Maybe the last half hour for custom stages. Maybe if we are having 5/6 of us playing, the custom stage could be picked when @Ike is the one spectating? 

Moment of the night was Sudden Death on the tennis stage. Perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think @S.C.G has the setups ready so I’ll wait to hear if I’m needed to host tonight for this. I think stock follows timed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I think @S.C.G has the setups ready so I’ll wait to hear if I’m needed to host tonight for this. I think stock follows timed. 

Yep, I have the setups ready, I remember we made sure all the details were correct the last time I hosted. :)

Sure, I'll host... so Stock tonight at 8pm then. :peace:

• Thanks 2

Short and sweet session for me this week, cheers for the games though everyone. :)

I cannot believe I won that game with Jigglypuff! :laughing:

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the games. :smile:

Only two X2 matches, I believe? But those matches were Snake and Palutena, so that was cool.

Great to have four players for at least half of the stream, it was nice to play Smash with you again @RedShell even for an hour. :peace:

The good matches continued just with the three of us though, @Ike showing us how it's done with various Fire Emblem characters and Hero, of course.

We all had some decent wins, and some stylish stage exits... intentional or otherwise. :p

@Glen-i and @Dcubed you'll probably want to check out the highlights of the stream if you get a chance, as there were some great moments.

Also... I may have 'forgotten' to take out Palutena's Temple on Stock ruleset, and it came up in the selection towards the end... at least it shows why we don't play it online, but it was still fun, and I regret nothing! All of the other match options seemed to be correct.

Here's a link to this week's stream... :peace:

- - - - -

custom-ac0aee31-b1e0-4b15-88e6-642a2ba992ca-640x360.jpeg

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (29/07/2023)

- - - - -

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

If @RedShell is joining will there be some extra time after for custom stages?

Well, he can't make it for 7:30, but I guess I never asked him if he'd be willing to play some custom matches at 10pm instead.

Well, @RedShell, what do you say? Because I don't want to cut anyone's time down from the standard 2 hours. That wouldn't be fair. But I'm sure @Ike won't mind if we faff about with stuff outside the two hour window.

Edited by Glen-i

Of course I don’t mind. I’m fine cutting my time by 30 if Redshell can’t make the extra time. I don’t want other people to miss out, it’s only me that isn’t into the custom stages.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, he can't make it for 7:30, but I guess I never asked him if he'd be willing to play some custom matches at 10pm instead.

Well, @RedShell, what do you say? Because I don't want to cut anyone's time down from the standard 2 hours. That wouldn't be fair. But I'm sure @Ike won't mind if we faff about with stuff outside the two hour window.

If you guys are sure you'd be up for even more Smash at 10pm, then yeah, I'm cool with that. :) I probably won't join the arena until a bit later on though, as I definitely don't have the stamina for over 2 hours of this type of game any more! :hehe:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RedShell said:

If you guys are sure you'd be up for even more Smash at 10pm, then yeah, I'm cool with that. :) I probably won't join the arena until a bit later on though, as I definitely don't have the stamina for over 2 hours of this type of game any more! :hehe:

monkey-badum-tss.gif

Well then, I guess at 10pm, I'll back out, make a new arena, and we'll go on for an extra half an hour then.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well then, I guess at 10pm, I'll back out, make a new arena, and we'll go on for an extra half an hour then.

Is there any need to make a new arena? :blank:

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Is there any need to make a new arena? :blank:

I guess there is no need if everyone agrees to sticking with random stages for the initial session, and then switching to choosing once 10pm rolls around.

I could signify this by using the "Changing rules"  shoutout in the arena.

Edited by Glen-i

Just now, Glen-i said:

I guess there is no need if everyone agrees to sticking with random stages for the initial session, and then switching to choosing once 10pm rolls around.

Yep. Fine with me.