NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fresh

Something to think about

This was what a Swiss gentleman who has lived in this country for most of his life gave as his reply on a forum when asked what he thought it meant to be British.

"Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry, an Italian pizza, or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of anything foreign."

Who cares about any of that stuff anyway? Do you, Flameboy?

If so, why? None of that actual matters.

Has he been forced to stay here?

No? Then he can shut his little face then. Next!

You are such a stud.

Well the cheek of the man!

You don't see me moving to Switzerland only to give it a few years before saying "Oh, your clocks are shit, your chocolate tastes like that cheap stuff they sell at the fair and your army knives are nothing more than a gimmick!".

hehehe, but the thing is its kind of true...

Bowser57 - Fighting fro your freedom!

Can't say I drive a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer. And when travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry, an Italian pizza, or a Turkish kebab on the way. I do not then sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

I have no suspicion of anything foreign either.

*lurks back on to PS forums, its not full of 12 year olds*

Read that number in a mirror. I was just kidding around anyway, I actually laughed at that. It's a very clever observation that I can imagine will someday find it's way into an email chain letter.

I'd like a signature featuring Jack Bauer in an erotic pose, stood over Dennis Hopper who is pleasuring himse - Oh, wait, this thread isn't about signatures.

That is actually quite true to a certain extent, dunno why people are getting offended by it :heh:

I quite like that quote. its things like that make organisations like the BNP even more rediculous than they already are.

in modern britian, there is no such thing as 'britishness'. we're a brilliantly multi cultural society.

Im with dan on the multi culturalness. Name a religion, it'll be in this country somewhere. There's nothing wrong with having stuff from other countries. Maybe some of think that their French cars are better than english ones. Maybe some people would rather have pizza than sunday roast.

Though if he is complaining then he can go back to sweden no one's stopping him from leaving

I went to london a couple of years back. When we arrived to heathrow we found out that our luggage was left behind. As we were only staying for the weekend I got a bit worried. But as for the multicultural british goes, the man I had to contact to get the luggage was probably from egypt/middle east. And luckily we got our luggage the next morning and it was delivered by a man who was wearing a turban.

And while I was there I probably saw more people from other cultures than actual britts :)

Why are you getting so offended by this; it's not like he's saying something bad or saying that he doesn't like it to live there. He's just kinda stating what he observed or something. And in a way, it's probably true too. But I think it could apply to more countries anyway; multi cultural societies are everywhere.

look at me, im british

"fuck of indian back to your own country"

*goes to buy a curry

yes. i see where hes getting at

While there is a section of society that is probably just like what the Swedish man described, it can't be said that that is what being British is all about.

Delete a double post rather than just edit it. You're making the place look untidy.

Also, why has the chap become Swedish? He's Swiss in the first post.

Don't give him even more to whine about.

This country is multi-cultural, what are you to expect? All these different cultures shape our country.

But hey, its true. We do contradict ourselves, we trust all these things and suspicious about anything foreign.

In reply to the quote he is pretty much generalising...Im sure that for the Majority of us it doesnt apply. But i do see what he is getting at.

Im not racist in anyway but you know what i do hate? People who come here from other countries to live and then just do not respect this country and simply do not care about anything from breaking the law to simple everyday things like keeping the place tidy.

Just like my next door neighbours who since living here have made the street look like a shit hole. First of all they have a massive car with out of date road tax, knocked down their wall with it and havent bothered sorting it out...bricks are everywhere and its been nearly a year!! The House has a white porch which is now filthy it looks black. The back garden has grass as high as my fence...they have a little kid he could be playing out there but no... They are very rude which is why i stopped talking to them. They fill my letterbox up with all this jesus church rubbish i dont want so i post it back to them. The police have made various visit's to them, not sure whats going on in there but it cant be good.

Why do some people not care about where they live ? if i lived there i would be very ashamed and pretty much embarrased of the place.

D'ya know what has also annoyed me ? where I live a lot of the good old fish and chip shops have shut down and all these Chicken shops have opened up everywhere? dont get me wrong i love fried chicken and visit PFC (KFC rip off) quite a lot but what the hell is that all about? do we really need so many? i miss my fish and chips.

All of what i have said is kinda off topic but it all just popped into my head.

Why are you getting so offended by this; it's not like he's saying something bad or saying that he doesn't like it to live there. He's just kinda stating what he observed or something. And in a way, it's probably true too. But I think it could apply to more countries anyway; multi cultural societies are everywhere.

Go easy foreigner, don't bring attention to yourself.

we're a brilliantly multi cultural society.

I wouldn't add the word brilliantly in that sentence. But hey I'm from the official shit town of Britain.

Delete a double post rather than just edit it. You're making the place look untidy.

Sorry, didn't notice there was a delete option.

Sign in to follow this