NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

41 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How in the hell did Mane stay on the pitch? That's one of the stupidest/craziest ref decisions I've seen in a long time.

What happened?

I'm relieved with the scoreline. We don't often win when we don't deserve to!

6 minutes ago, nekunando said:

What happened?

I'm relieved with the scoreline. We don't often win when we don't deserve to!

He was already on a yellow for diving. He then got the ball and was fouled, however, the ref didn't blow for the foul. Mane then picked up the ball as he thought he deserved a free kick. The ref then blew the whistle for handball. Realizing what had happened the ref clearly thought he should have given the foul on Mane but instead gave the free kick for handball to Palace but didn't give a card to Mane, even though the free kick awarded was for intentional handball. 

It then got worse as Mane got subbed with Lallana, only for him to play a minute and go off injured again. 

Crazy match. :D 

53 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Salah saving our bacon!

Well he is Muslim. Anything else would be haram.

• Haha 1

Holy sheeeet, Alexis did something. Should give him a boost for the rest of the season.

Comes on at 3-1 down, an assist and two late goals later and super sub Zlatan turns the game round to win his debut MLS game 4-3. One of the greats for sure.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

For 75 minutes Stoke looked up for the fight and we didn't look on it. Took a dodgy penalty to eventually pull away. To be fair the ref and linesman didn't have the best view and from their view it did look like a penalty, that was very unfortunate. 

Spurs completely dominated Chelsea this afternoon. They look so off at the moment and have done for a while.

22 hours ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Comes on at 3-1 down, an assist and two late goals later and super sub Zlatan turns the game round to win his debut MLS game 4-3. One of the greats for sure.

Crazy game. I followed the BBC Live Text and almost switched off when it went to 0-3. Zlatan's first was amazing. Crazy finish.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Spurs completely dominated Chelsea this afternoon. They look so off at the moment and have done for a while.

It's conceivable that all of Conte, Courtois and Hazard leave Chelsea this season. Not sure if there is an obvious candidate to replace Conte, though. 

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Crazy game. I followed the BBC Live Text and almost switched off when it went to 0-3. Zlatan's first was amazing. Crazy finish.

It's conceivable that all of Conte, Courtois and Hazard leave Chelsea this season. Not sure if there is an obvious candidate to replace Conte, though. 

I imagine that next season is gonna be a one of rebuilding for them. They arent going to happy if they miss out on that Champions League money.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I imagine that next season is gonna be a one of rebuilding for them. They arent going to happy if they miss out on that Champions League money.

They're 8 points off 4th place now. Any of United, Liverpool and Spurs could finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th, but it looks likely (almost certain) that Chelsea and Arsenal are going to finish outside of the top 4. It's a competitive league and 6 into 4 just doesn't go. No Champions League money for Chelsea is a big deal...the bigger problem will be if they continue to struggle to get into the top four next season and the one after. It's a crucial few years for them. 

We’re awful... I’d not blame players leaving... but I’d be ok if Conte went, very disillusioned with him this season, not because of results but because of his attitude, signings & approach to a lot of games.

Pardiola has been sacked by West Brom after West Brom win only 1 in 18 Premier League games. (wtf?!) Taking only 8 points from a possible 54. 

Why even bother sacking him at this point? The time to get rid of him passed about 10 games ago, surely now they're just planning for next season in the Championship.

Villa have been similarly rubbish for the past few games and are now well and truly out of the automatic promotion picture, hopefully we can get on another run before the play offs start because if we go into them with our current confidence then we won't stand a chance. 

Firstly: obligatory mention of Ronaldo’s wonder strike vs. Juve. I think that was probably the most complete goal of his career (from his pace, to his build-up play when he received the ball, to squaring it to Lucas Vázquez, to, of course, his masterful technique in netting a sublime goal).

As for this talk about Conte, I believe we talked about it here last summer before/around the start of the season a bit: he just hasn’t been backed up by the board in the transfer market (which was his very reason for leaving Juve in the first place), and we could see even then that we were setting up for a failure of a season, at least relative to 16/17. Forget quality for a moment: we didn’t even have the quantity of players needed to mount a challenge on all fronts; an injury here and there, selling key players to rival clubs/China, building tensions behind the scenes, arguably the most competitive season in PL history for a berth in the UCL, etc., were always considered strong reasons to worry about the size of our squad, and it’s shown.

I can’t help but feel sorry for Conte. He won the Prem with what was fundamentally the same group of players that were considered down-and-out only a season prior - under the guidance of the Special One, no less - and I recall the conversations about what could happen if Chelsea ended up relegated. He instilled a belief and passion in the team that I don’t think we’d seen since Di Matteo led us to Champions League glory back in 2012. 

There was no reason for Abramovich to not back him going into this season, and if he is going to leave, I only hope it’s to a club that can finally offer him the finance and platform he’s been searching for since 2014. He’s one heck of a manager, and he’s still relatively young for one. 

If he leaves, then there’s only one man I honestly want to replace him: Massimiliano Allegri. I’ve been waiting for his arrival (I mean, I wanted Bonucci to come with him too, but there’s not much we can do about that now) since things seemed to be going downhill at the start of the 15/16 for José.

He’s a tactically astute manager who said that he wanted to leave Italy as recently as yesterday, and he’d be a perfect fit for us, having already proven that he’s excellent at evolving teams from Conte’s plans (three successive Serie A titles and two visits to the final of the Champions League with Juve are testament of that).

My only worry would be that, yet again, the board doesn’t back the manager and his plans, at which point it doesn’t matter who we bring in anyway. 

• Like 1

I didn’t expect the game to be one-sided going in, but I think the battering of the Man City team bus by Liverpool fans prior to the game has shaken a lot of their players.

An away goal is all it will take for City to be back in this tie. Always love watching Pep v. Klopp, they really bring the best (and worst) out of each other/‘s teams.

5 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

What a delightful first half.

Beautiful so far but none of us are silly enough to think the tie is anywhere near done yet.

WE NEED MORE :grin:

I didn't check the score until the game was over ( I didn't dare ) and was shocked that we done them over again! Still, it's far from over and won't be getting carried away as we all know what we are like.

I read Salah went off injured. Was it serious?

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't check the score until the game was over ( I didn't dare ) and was shocked that we done them over again! Still, it's far from over and won't be getting carried away as we all know what we are like.

I read Salah went off injured. Was it serious?

He was pointing to his groin so they took him off straight away. Hopefully he and Can will be OK for the second leg as Henderson got a yellow card to rule him out.

I was nervous throughout but we defended very well for a change. It's certainly not over but this is as good of a position to be in as we could have dreamed. I half expected 3-0 to City!

3 minutes ago, nekunando said:

He was pointing to his groin so they took him off straight away. Hopefully he and Can will be OK for the second leg as Henderson got a yellow card to rule him out.

I was nervous throughout but we defended very well for a change. It's certainly not over but this is as good of a position to be in as we could have dreamed. I half expected 3-0 to City!

Yeah, just been reading the highlights. Apparently TAA had an absolute blinder. Sounds about right after I was criticizing him the other day. :p Crazy that City didn't manage a shot on target.

Clean sheet was more important than the 3 goals in my opinion. If they can manage a goal or 2 at the Emptyhad they should be fairly comfortable. Another first half display like that and they'll be laughing 

Got to say Liverpool did a great job. They’ve been one of the teams I’ve enjoyed watching most this season, and were fully deserving of the win.

This seems to be a running theme for Pep now: have the title race more or less done and dusted by mid-April (if he’s going to win it), but his players seem to lose conviction on the continental stage because of this.

On the one hand, I think City would have more of a chance than Liverpool of winning the competition if they were to get through, because of the strength of their midfield. On the other hand, I think Liverpool - if they turned up on the day - could give any one of the Big Three a run for their money.

Also, well done to Barça. Unless something goes dreadfully wrong in Rome next week, they’ll be through to the semi-finals for the first time since 2015!

Almost didn't watch the game as we're in Rome at the minute and Roma were playing Barcelona tonight. We were planning to stop off at a bar to watch the game, but I thought I'd rather watch this one in the end. Crazy, crazy result. City just didn't turn up. Sane had his worst game for City that I've seen so far and their English players in particular were awful tonight. Kyle Walker was horrendous and Sterling wasn't in the game at all when he came on. Just a poor all-round performance. I hear that there was trouble beforehand with City's bus getting vandalised, so I wonder just how much that unsettled them before the game.

Hats off to Liverpool, great team performance. We'll see what happens in the second leg. City will score at the Etihad, but they'll have to come out and score at least 4 goals. If Liverpool score 1, City have to score 5. Can't see that happening at all, at least not with how they played tonight.

Just looking at the goals again: was Liverpool's first goal off-side and City's disallowed goal actually on-side? 2-1 would be a completely different scoreline going into the second leg.

Absolutely crazy end to the Cardiff vs Wolves match. Wolves 1-0 up with 3 mins left in injury time. Cardiff get a pen but it's saved. 1 min left on the clock and Cardiff get another pen but this time they hit the crossbar.

After the match, Warnock walks on to the pitch clapping at the fans and the Wolves manager follows him to shake his hand. While the camera is following them Warnock just turns around and screams "**** OFF!" at the Wolves manager and continues to walk away from him. Whole thing was hilarious. :D 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this