NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

1 minute ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Wow, offside flag saves Liverpool there.

That's two now. They had one disallowed in the first leg, too.

Aaahahha, Pep has been sent to the stands. :laughing:

I'm loving this. I want at least 2 red cards in the second half, which shouldn't be too much to ask for considering this ref is giving them away out there. A controversial penalty after a dive by Raheem Sterling, followed by a Salah thunderbolt to break City's hearts. Yes, I'm not asking for much. :D

Send Klopp off, too. SEND THEM ALL OFF!

Nuts that there wasn’t any added time from what I’m reading (catching up as I had to step out), either?

Pep being sent to the stands could really go either way for City. Should be a good second half...

Starting to think that the score will stay the same. City look like they've run out of ideas after Plan A (put everybody up front!) didn't work and the more that time goes on, the more the players will lose belief. Defensively, Liverpool look alright. 

Might be over now with that goal and Pep being in the stands.

I have to wonder if that Sane goal being declared offside - in addition to a goal being called offside in the first leg that shouldn't have been (?) - will push UEFA to review their stance on VAR. As it is, there are no plans to include it in next season's European competitions.

By the way, Roma are just one goal away from knocking out Barca (after a De Rossi pen. and an early Dzeko goal) - if they can hold out and keep a clean sheet, that is...

Edited by Julius Caesar

Elsewhere Roma are back in their tie with Barca, one more goal and that away goal they got would see them through.

2 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I have to wonder if that Sane goal being declared offside - in addition to a goal being called offside in the first leg that shouldn't have been (?) - will push UEFA to review their stance on VAR. As it is, there are no plans to include it in next season's European competitions.

City didn't come out in the second half. That decision to disallow the goal has clearly started a chain of events (no goal, crowd booing the ref at half time, Pep getting angry and being sent to the stands, which has then filtered down to the team), so it was a huge moment in the game. I think if City go into half time 2-0 up, then they'll come out differently in the second half compared to how they did come out.

8 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

City didn't come out in the second half. That decision to disallow the goal has clearly started a chain of events (no goal, crowd booing the ref at half time, Pep getting angry and being sent to the stands, which has then filtered down to the team), so it was a huge moment in the game. I think if City go into half time 2-0 up, then they'll come out differently in the second half compared to how they did come out.

The thought of City going out here just makes me worry about what their owners might be willing to invest come this summer, especially with the World Cup giving Guardiola further opportunities to scout some players. Maybe even more so because quality defending isn't as intermittent as quality striking can be at such competitions, and that's very clearly where they need to shore up (and find some cool heads) prior to next season. 

3 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Oh my days, at least Roma have made a game of their tie tonight whatever happens.

Seriously, kudos to them. Everyone was looking to England for a possible comeback tonight when they should have been looking at Italy, and Roma were very cruelly written off by many media outlets over the last week.

Wouldn't be surprised if Barca score and ruin their party, but I'd like to see Roma make it through.

Sevilla to come back against Bayern tomorrow? Or how about Juve against Real? :D 

3 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Sevilla to come back against Bayern tomorrow?

No...

6 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Or how about Juve against Real? :D 

Yes!

Roma was amazing today. Absolutely deserved to go through. :peace:

10 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

They've done it, Roma have won on away goals! Amazing!

Holy smokes. First season without Totti, and their first UCL semi-final (since the rebranding)?

Edited by Julius Caesar

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

No...

Yes!

Roma was amazing today. Absolutely deserved to go through. :peace:

Haha, I'd agree actually, Bayern under Heynckes now look as professional as they have ever been since he left back in 2013.

Would love to see Juve mount a comeback, but playing away to do so at the Bernabeu (and without Dybala) seems a big ask, even for them. 

Fuuuuuck, can't believe Roma did it! Amazing! Don't think anyone thought this would be anything other than Barcelona going through. 

I mentioned City's formation earlier on and the more I think about it, the more harm I think it did than good. De Bruyne was basically playing as a centre-back in the second half. That's not where he should be at all. Sane was also horrendous over both legs, so why did they still continue to build the play through his side. Just bizarre decision making. I know City had to try to score lots of goals tonight, but Roma did that without having to resort to insane formations and without putting their player in unfamiliar roles. You have to win the game first and I think it says it all that City didn't even win the game tonight. In a week, they've conceded 8 goals against Liverpool and Man Utd. What's more, they've conceded 5 of those goals from winning positions. 

1 hour ago, Julius Caesar said:

If there was var they could possibly have dissalowed city's first goal as a foul sterling on Virgil. I know it wasn't much in it but you never know. 

It's all its and buts and that's what makes football so exciting. 

Sign in to follow this