NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, Kav said:

2-1 was in no way about right. We deserved a draw at minimum... especially seeing how our disallowed goal was actually onside... but we had ample opportunities to put the game to bed in that first half.

Conte starting Drinkwater though, urgh, and then only bringing on Fabregas with 10 mins to go... deary me.

He’s even more negative than Mourinho ever was for us!

I didn't watch Match of the Day so didn't see the replays of the goal, but it looked like it should have counted. Did the players stop though because I think the ref blew the whistle before the ball went into the net? 2-1 is about right because United had the better chances after equalising and were the better team easily in the second half. Chelsea were strong for the first 20 or so minutes, but then United grew into it. We also made far more positive and better substitutions which swayed the game in our favour. 

Palace away and then Liverpool and Sevilla at home. Could see us winning all three or losing all three! Haha. 

Have to laugh at how VAR is being received (yesterday's game between Spurs and Rochdale). They're making a real mess of it. 

Absolutely gutted to hear that Neymar’s likely got three months of recovery ahead of him after his surgery. 

It’s going to be a real shame if - once again - Brazil doesn’t live up to their billing at the World Cup because Neymar is out injured. 

Jesus, that's pretty awful. When I saw that he'd fractured his metatarsal I thought he would definitely miss the Champions League game against Real but looked up the injury online and it said recovery was about 6 weeks so didn't think there was any way he could miss the world cup. Was the injury not just a fractured metatarsal then?

He might still make it in time for the World Cup...just. And that's if there are no set backs. Even then, he won't be at 100% of his ability. Terrible news for him and Brazil.

7 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Have to laugh at how VAR is being received (yesterday's game between Spurs and Rochdale). They're making a real mess of it. 

Came on to mention this - first time I've watched a game where it's been used - what an absolute shambles!! Really goes to show how subjective ref decisions are; adding a couple of minutes back and forth on replays doesn't make for a definitive answer. Couldn't believe how much it crushed the pace of that first half - minutes at a time watching the ref with his finger to his ear, truely laughable stuff!

Just now, dan-likes-trees said:

Came on to mention this - first time I've watched a game where it's been used - what an absolute shambles!! Really goes to show how subjective ref decisions are; adding a couple of minutes back and forth on replays doesn't make for a definitive answer. Couldn't believe how much it crushed the pace of that first half - minutes at a time watching the ref with his finger to his ear, truely laughable stuff!

What I've discovered with VAR is that all they have really done is throw another referee's subjective opinion into the mix, as you've mentioned. I don't know why it is so difficult. Could the problem be that the rules are too subjective? Was it just easier when ANY player stood in an off-side position renders the attack offside when the ball is played forward, for example? Do the rules need tightening up? 

I was definitely for video technology and I think I still am. But, the implementation has been pretty bad, so far. The sport is a bit of a mess.

I dunno how they've messed it up so bad. You could have one guy watching a replay from the Sky Sports booth and get a faster and more accurate decision on what happened. 

Arsenal need to show up tonight against City. Even if they lose they have to at least have a good go of it. Their performance against them the other day was a shambles and I agree with everything Gary Neville was saying during the match.

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

Jesus, that's pretty awful. When I saw that he'd fractured his metatarsal I thought he would definitely miss the Champions League game against Real but looked up the injury online and it said recovery was about 6 weeks so didn't think there was any way he could miss the world cup. Was the injury not just a fractured metatarsal then?

The Brazilian national team’s doctor, Rodrigo Lasmar, is saying that, in addition to a small fissure in his fifth matatarsal (which is what the media has been focusing their reports on), Neymar also has a major fracture to a bone in the middle of the foot. 

:( 

Man City are absolutely battering Arsenal. 3-0 and five minutes to go before half-time. Sane is insane when he has the ball and Arsenal can't get it off him. Could be 5 or 6.

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Man City are absolutely battering Arsenal. 3-0 and five minutes to go before half-time. Sane is insane when he has the ball and Arsenal can't get it off him. Could be 5 or 6.

Yup. Absolute domination. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. Absolute domination. 

It's a weird game because Arsenal are still going forward and getting into the box. But every time they shoot, it's either at the keeper or there's a block from a player. They just can't get the final bit right. City are so ruthless that every time they enter Arsenal's final third, you feel that they'll score again.

Wenger is done, he's finished. But Stan Kroenke won't think so and that's where the clubs biggest problem lies.

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's a weird game because Arsenal are still going forward and getting into the box. But every time they shoot, it's either at the keeper or there's a block from a player. They just can't get the final bit right. City are so ruthless that every time they enter Arsenal's final third, you feel that they'll score again.

They are at least playing better than they did in the cup final, but, unfortunately for them, so are City.

2 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Wenger is done, he's finished. But Stan Kroenke won't think so and that's where the clubs biggest problem lies.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They are at least playing better than they did in the cup final, but, unfortunately for them, so are City.

It's sad to see Wenger going out on a whim. But, City are really at least one or two levels above all of the other league teams. I don't think Arsenal are THAT bad a side and they are a bit unlucky to be 3-0 down. City have excellent technical players and can defend pretty well. The midfield of City is much tighter than Arsenal's, which is probably where the difference lies, as well as the attacking players. Arsenal's attackers don't look anywhere near capable of scoring as much as City's players. 

Still can't believe Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang let themselves into this mediocre mess of a football club, they'd have been better staying where they were.

5 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Still can't believe Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang let themselves into this mediocre mess of a football club, they'd have been better staying where they were.

Hmm, think Arsenal might be the right sort of club for Mkhitaryan. Not sure about Aubameyang. Mkhitaryan was too inconsistent at United and spent so much time on the bench because there were other players who were outperforming him. The competition was high. He will get more games for Arsenal, so that should help his confidence as I can't see Wenger dropping him. 

A good start to the second half for Arsenal. Think they needed that penalty to go in to have any chance for getting anything from this game.

34 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Hmm, think Arsenal might be the right sort of club for Mkhitaryan. Not sure about Aubameyang. Mkhitaryan was too inconsistent at United and spent so much time on the bench because there were other players who were outperforming him. The competition was high. He will get more games for Arsenal, so that should help his confidence as I can't see Wenger dropping him. 

In this abysmal Arsenal side? Based on his performance tonight he's not getting his confidence back in this side.

3 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

In this abysmal Arsenal side? Based on his performance tonight he's not getting his confidence back in this side.

You won't be playing City every single week. Playing them twice within a week is a raw deal. 

Salah is just insane. How many will he finish on for the season? 32 goals in 38 appearances. Could well finish above 40. Crazy numbers.

Fiorentina captain and Italy international Davide Astori has passed away on the eve of his team’s match with Udinese, aged just 31. :(

This was revealed in an official statement by Fiorentina:

Fiorentina are profoundly shaken and forced to announce that their captain Davide Astori has died.

For this terrible and delicate situation, and above all out of respect for his family, we appeal to the sensitivity of the media.

The match between Fiorentina and Udinese has been postponed. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Alright, that's enough, Wenger has to go at the end of the season. His position has become untenable now. I genuinely believe at this moment that Burnley could rope us in and take the Europa League place we are clinging on too. Brighton dominated that game and even in the periods we had the possession we couldn't test Matt Ryan meaningfully. Worst Arsenal side I have seen and with the talent in that team that shouldn't be the case. 

Edited by Emerald Emblem

4 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Fiorentina captain and Italy international Davide Astori has passed away on the eve of his team’s match with Udinese, aged just 31. :(

This was revealed in an official statement by Fiorentina:

The match between Fiorentina and Udinese has been postponed. 

Crazy news. At 31, too. Reports saying that he died of a heart attack in his sleep. 

33 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Alright, that's enough, Wenger has to go at the end of the season. His position has become untenable now. I genuinely believe at this moment that Burnley could rope us in and take the Europa League place we are clinging on too. Brighton dominated that game and even in the periods we had the possession we couldn't test Matt Ryan meaningfully. Worst Arsenal side I have seen and with the talent in that team that shouldn't be the case. 

I was half-expecting Arsenal to go there today and get a big result. Did not expect them to lose that game! If Wenger doesn't go at the end of this season, then he should when his contract expires next season. 

Saying that, the next 5 League fixtures look ok.

Watford (home)

Stoke (home)

Southampton (home)

Newcastle (away)

West Ham (home)

You've got Man Utd away after that. I fully expect United to win that game. But, those 5, Arsenal should be winning all of those games.

Chelsea were garbage today. I'm honestly sick of watching teams just sit back against City and try to absorb the pressure for 90 mins. Have a go at them, put them under pressure, just do something! 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this