N-Europe

Football Season 2017-18

Fierce_LiNk

The Scotland game however has been really entertaining. We've looked really good going forward, created plenty of chances just lacked a bit of composure but are still 2-0 up. Defensively however we've been a bit of a mess with some slack midfield balls causing them a few problems. Hopefully we can build on the confidence of the first half and score a couple more. 

Someone on the England live text made a good point about them playing with 4 defenders and 2 holding midfielders against the weakest team in the group. Surely they should be trying a more attacking line up?

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. Times like these the Switch comes in very handy. :D

I'm actually tempted to do more work whilst watching this. It's that dull. 

Hope Rashford injects some energy into this team.

13 minutes ago, killthenet said:

The Scotland game however has been really entertaining. We've looked really good going forward, created plenty of chances just lacked a bit of composure but are still 2-0 up. Defensively however we've been a bit of a mess with some slack midfield balls causing them a few problems. Hopefully we can build on the confidence of the first half and score a couple more. 

Someone on the England live text made a good point about them playing with 4 defenders and 2 holding midfielders against the weakest team in the group. Surely they should be trying a more attacking line up?

England aren't ballsy enough to try anything attacking like that. Deep down, it's always safety first. 

We watched the Belgium game against Greece tonight and it's funny just how many parallels there are between Belgium and England. I think the fans there are just as pessimistic as the English are. You hear the same sorts of things mentioned at half time and during the commentary. Belgium luckily managed to get a winner through Lukaku. 

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Awful performance in the first half. The amount of chances we could have put away if only the players would look up and pass to each other. They are playing as individuals looking for glory rather than as a team.

Yeah, can't really argue with that. There's not a lot of trust between the players, either. It looks at times like the won't play their teammates in because they're worried the chance will come to nothing. Looking at these players, I do think that there is potential for a good team there. The tactics don't seem to be working and there's no style to the play. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think all the players must have a bet on to see who can keep the ball the longest and pass the least amount of times.

I wonder if that's a coaching thing, because I'm noticing traits that the players don't really show at club level. Are they being told that you have to keep the ball more at international level? If so, I kinda get it. But, it's not really worked for long periods of tonight. Second half has been better, though.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm all for keeping the ball and controlling the game but when you're on a break, with options either side of you, it's baffling that they aren't laying the ball off.

I do think that's part of an English mentality, though. All about not "losing" the game or making a mistake. Rather than going for a goal to make it 3-1, we try and keep the ball to stop it becoming 2-2 if a mistake is made. It's almost a pessimistic mindset. I can't say that I'm a fan of it. If there's a counter, my brain tells me that it should result in a chance at goal. Football is an attacking game, so if you've got an opportunity to attack, you should go for it.

• Like 1

It sounds like the same old story for England. I'll never understand why they don't transfer the energy and passion from a typical Premier League game to the international stage!

Another outstanding result for Northern Ireland, though, and a play-off spot guaranteed! Not sure how many teams will fancy a trip to Windsor Park to make it to Russia. Bring it on :yay:

• Like 1

Northern Ireland are fantastic, I think England would have really struggled with that group and Northern Ireland have got more points than any other second placed team and most first placed teams, brilliant performance. 

Scotland were a little flat tonight but obviously did the important thing and got the win. If England can do us another favour and beat Slovenia in the next fixture then it'll be entirely in our hands to finish second, which is basically all you can ask for. It's great that all of the home nations sides (and ROI) can still qualify for the World Cup, would be incredible if all 5 of them can make it.

On 31/08/2017 at 1:01 PM, dazzybee said:

How great is it how much arsenal have imploded...? So glorious to see. I’m sure they’ll panic buy to fuck for the second half of the day, but think they could fall so far away this season. Mid table!

weird how much Chelsea are struggling to get the players too. By all accounts Conte was desperate to get Llorente, then spurs make an approach and get it sorted in a few hours. Their new guy is meant to be so tough it’s fucjing up loads of potential deals.

Spurs have finished above Arsenal once in the last 20 odd years. Arsenal won the FA Cup in May and twice in the previous 3 years before that. Spurs should win a trophy and then come back and start talking about how much better they are. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Charlie said:

Spurs have finished above Arsenal once in the last 20 odd years. Arsenal won the FA Cup in May and twice in the previous 3 years before that. Spurs should win a trophy and then come back and start talking about how much better they are. :)

Who said anything about spurs and how much better they are? Paranoid!

these arsenal fans are obsessed with spurs. 

Edited by dazzybee

End of an era. :(

Legendary commentator John Motson will call time on his BBC career aged 72 after the conclusion of the current football season.

The broadcaster, popularly known as 'Motty', is in his 50th consecutive year with the corporation.

He covered 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships, 29 FA Cup finals and more than 200 England games.

"I've absolutely loved my time commentating for BBC Sport," said Motson.

"I've been fortunate enough to witness some of the biggest moments in football history mere yards away from the action, so I've really been very lucky."

Motson, known for his trademark sheepskin coats and encyclopaedic knowledge of the game, wants to continue his links with the sport.

"I'm hoping to keep my association with football and with broadcasting - I'm not retiring from everything, I'm retiring from the BBC," he said.

Ha, I don't think he's always been rubbish but he definitely got worse over the years so I think his retirement has come later than it should have. I thought he was older than 72 though and he's been at the BBC for 50 years, can you imagine them hiring a 22-year old as a commentator these days?

20 hours ago, killthenet said:

Ha, I don't think he's always been rubbish but he definitely got worse over the years so I think his retirement has come later than it should have. I thought he was older than 72 though and he's been at the BBC for 50 years, can you imagine them hiring a 22-year old as a commentator these days?

He hasn't always been a commentator. His first commentary was aged 26. :laughing:

The transfer window will be changed next season.

Premier League clubs have voted to close the summer transfer window before the first game of next season.

The 2018 window will close on the Thursday before the first match of the next campaign in August, and the new rule applies only to the buying of players.

Premier League clubs will still be able to sell players to other leagues whose transfer windows remain open until August 31.

The transfer window for the English Football League also remains unaffected, with clubs able to sell to lower division sides unless the EFL decides to bring its window in line with the top flight.

The Premier League transfer window in January remains unaffected by the impending changes.

The decision to make these changes was not unanimous but was reached by a majority of the 20 Premier League clubs.