N-Europe

The Star Wars Thread

Julius

It's done. Didn't care for the ending at all.

Spoiler

I can't believe they killed Sol. Dude was the only one I really liked. Then the green bitch goes and screws over him and his legacy.

Again, very meh. It had some decent moments and some of the lightsaber battles were great, but overall it didn't do it for me. Also, given how little she's in it, it seemed really weird that Carrie Anne Moss is all over the promo stuff. It felt like The Rock and Sam Jackson in The Other Guys all over again.

On 7/31/2024 at 1:25 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

It's done. Didn't care for the ending at all.

Reveal hidden contents

I can't believe they killed Sol. Dude was the only one I really liked. Then the green bitch goes and screws over him and his legacy.

Again, very meh. It had some decent moments and some of the lightsaber battles were great, but overall it didn't do it for me. Also, given how little she's in it, it seemed really weird that Carrie Anne Moss is all over the promo stuff. It felt like The Rock and Sam Jackson in The Other Guys all over again.

I dropped out after episode 5 - much like Andor.

Andor - the main guy looked like he was bored through the entire thing, and that just gave me sympathy boredom.

The Acolyte - I'm gonna say it: It was all too implausible. The twin that didn't die, the ease of tracking everyone, the whole weirdy-beardy in the floating trance, the way that the little girl tricked the spy-eye. I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief, but that was too much disbelief to suspend.

Posted (edited)

First trailer for Skeleton Crew, which lands December 3rd with a two-episode premiere:

Looks delightful :smile:

A trailer for Andor S2 was also shown but hasn't been released to the public, though it looks pretty spectacular.

Confirmed for 2025, but still no window. 

There was also a trailer shown for Mando & Grogu, which featured snowtroopers, an AT-RT, AT-ATs, Anzellans, and Zeb :D again looks great, but again no official public release as of yet. 

Bleh. 

Edited by Julius

17 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The posters for this make me chuckle :laughing:

Major Bombad Bounty vibes :D

The series also had some LEGO sets announced, including this Dark Millennium Falcon which I have to imagine becomes a collector's item in the future (it's already out but I can't find a tweet on the official LEGO Twitter so have the leaked images instead I guess)

Darth Jar Jar will never fail to crack me up

I don’t follow much Star Wars stuff nowadays as I just can’t keep track of anything. I’m not sure what the general feeling is but Rebuild the Galaxy seems to be one of the most interesting things in a while, I’m actually really looking forward to it.

I would post something about The Acolyte but can't for the life of me figure out what is going on with spoiler tags.

Posted (edited)

The Acolyte will not be getting a S2, per Deadline. 

Was it the best Star Wars show? Comfortably not. But by the end of the season, the pieces were in place to explore more interesting dynamics and characters we've been waiting to see come to the screen for a very long time. Some of these characters deserved to have their stories seen through to the end. 

So, it seems like the very vocal minority once again got exactly what they wanted, once again. I'm currently clinging on to how good a time I had at Celebration last year to remind me that it is simply a minority, because those parts of the fanbase can freaking do one. 

It's very difficult to get a read on Lucasfilm these days, feels like we're getting to a place with these shows very quickly like we did with the films where things are starting to get a bit on the messy side behind the scenes. For me I don't think this is even a quality thing, just agree to have the story seen through and get back to it in a timely manner – stop reacting to the backlash already. 

The Mandoverse has gone off the rails and we have no idea if/when it'll pick back up beyond Mando & Grogu (Skeleton Crew will be set in the same period but is clearly going for something a bit different), and everything is radio silent on the follow-up to Ahsoka, even if we know it's in the worls. They've taken a chance to throw us into the High Republic with The Acolyte but not backed it all the way – again, it's comfortably not the best Star Wars has to offer, but it's also not the worst and needed more time and budget than it was given to begin with. 

The only show which is in a good place right now is Andor, and that's because it was agreed for two seasons from the get-go with a veteran at the helm with a clear plan of what they wanted to do from beginning to end. Andor didn't do great numbers in terms of viewing for a Star Wars show, but it's also comfortably one of the best shows they've put out on Disney+ (and, for my money's worth, the best). 

Lucasfilm Animation is still the only studio I have faith in getting things out consistently of a decent quality where the story is going to be allowed to be seen through all of the way. We're half a decade into Disney+ era Star Wars now, what a joke this is. 

Edited by Julius

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, FalcoLombardi said:

Qimir/the Stranger will hopefully get more screentime in a different series. They were the best part of the Acolyte.

I have a hunch he will probably have his story finished in novels/comics :( would love to be wrong though

I just can't imagine greenlighting this show set in an entirely new era away from the Skywalker Saga and not having that buy-in and investment for at least two seasons before seeing where it's at, if not completing the entire story. They signed off on this knowing S1 sets up the rest of the show with some fascinating players and didn't back it enough to see that through?! Seems like such a waste :(

Edited by Julius

7 hours ago, Julius said:

I have a hunch he will probably have his story finished in novels/comics :( would love to be wrong though

I just can't imagine greenlighting this show set in an entirely new era away from the Skywalker Saga and not having that buy-in and investment for at least two seasons before seeing where it's at, if not completing the entire story. They signed off on this knowing S1 sets up the rest of the show with some fascinating players and didn't back it enough to see that through?! Seems like such a waste :(

Sounds like Star Wars under Disney to me.

I really enjoyed The Acolyte for what it was, but there just didn’t seem to be any point to it. Keep in mind that I’m definitely more on the casual side of the Star Wars fan base but it just seemed to me like a story going nowhere and with none of it really set up for me to actually care about getting more of it. It didn’t really expand on anything I’ve seen before or give a new angle to things, the characters are kind of cool but also don’t seem to play into anything. Ultimately it just felt like there was really no reason for this story to be told.

Hot off the heels of Outlaws, I re-watched Solo: A Star Wars Story tonight for the very first time. 

I kind of loved it. 

Look, I've got problems with it. I don't need or want everything explained when it comes to Star Wars - the dice, The Falcon, the Kessel Run, Han meeting Chewie...good lord does the list build up quite quickly - and so could've done without those elements of the film; oh, the burning eye roll into the back of my skull I had in store for the film when I got to the "you're travelling alone? Then we'll anoint you Han...Solo". 

But? It's just good dumb fun which doesn't take itself too seriously, by the Force do we need some of that for the franchise right about now (and hopefully Skeleton Crew can deliver). Alden Ehrenreich honestly crushed it as Han, it's impossible to not see how much time and effort he put into picking up some of Harrison Ford's portrayal of Han. Emilia Clarke was excellent as Qi'ra. Donald Glover nailed Lando when introduced, lost it for a bit, then came back around to it at the end. Phoebe Waller-Bridge was freaking hilarious as L3. The film is just genuine fun, and at times, genuinely funny – it is BY FAR the most light-hearted live-action Star Wars film to date. It also just kind of looks visually spectacular and puts so many of Lucasfilm's recent Disney+ efforts to absolute shame, and I think it's such a waste that this film got sent out to die the way that it did. 

Musically, I'm a bit mixed on it? John Powell mostly did an excellent job, like it's not easy at all to come into Star Wars off the back of Williams and need to come in and write a love theme? And while I don't think it quite hits the heights of Han Solo and The Princess or Across the Stars, my goodness is the Han and Qi'ra love theme just absolutely brilliant, it's got that very early Hollywood feel to it down pat. 

But, it's just very confusing as a lover of the Star Wars themes to hear so many return here, and I need to listen through the OST and maybe watch the film a couple of times to tell if they recorded new versions of classic themes or if they're just lifted straight from older recordings, because they're used so weirdly – and so I imagine they're lifted from old recordings and edited in because of how messy this film's production turned out and how down to the wire it all was. Rebel Fanfare when Han sits in the Falcon hotseat for the first time? Perfect. Use of the Star Wars theme for him and The Falcon throughout? Not really it. Blaring Death Star part from A New Hope for when the Death Star turns up being used to represent a measly Star Destroyer? Not it at all. Hodge-podge of original trilogy dogfight themes (TIE Fighter Attack, The Asteroid Field, etc.) for a chase and dogfight sequence? I could've gone without it. Honestly, I think I need to go back through with a fine-tooth comb and pick some of it apart to really figure out how I feel about it. 

The algorithm was listening in either way, because after finishing the film I was recommended this wonderful effort on YouTube: 

Honestly, I'm now really gutted that we've not had a Han show and that the Lando show is seemingly on ice, especially after Outlaws and getting some more onscreen Crimson Dawn representation, it felt like they'd set up a really intriguing plot which at least deserved the cast returning for one season of a Disney+ show. 

Really solid 7/10 from me for Solo, it was such a blast, and I wouldn't be surprised if I re-watched it again soon having just now only watched it a second time. 

Now, do I keep this post-Outlaws train rolling with rewatches of Mando S1/S2, Book of Boba Fett, Andor and/or (heh) Rogue One...

Edited by Julius