NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

This rumour cropped up over the weekend but it seems it's looking more and more likely that it's real. A hacker found the games information on the 3DS eShop and now an icon has surfaced along with what looks to be the final name of the game, which is Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions.

The original is still one of the best of the series. @Fused King will be happy with this, if true. :D

This is great news. It's the only Mario & Luigi game not currently playable on a 3DS officially.

I have the Hype! Been wanting to replay this, so this is good timing. Hope they keep the artstyle similar to the original. Bowser's Minions must be a new story/mode?

Have some battle music to listen to while we wait:

Nintendo making sure I'll have enough 3DS games to last me well into 2019. I like it.

I have the Hype! Been wanting to replay this, so this is good timing. Hope they keep the artstyle similar to the original. Bowser's Minions must be a new story/mode?

Have some battle music to listen to while we wait:

The fact that this music was remixed in Paper Jam also lends some credence to the rumour...

I know I'd be all over a remake for sure!

ML.gif~c200

I'm ready to dance again!

Edited by Dcubed

Only just saw today that you mentioned me.

I drop in from time to time:laughing:

NINTENDO does not have mercy on this poor soul with less and less time to spend on games.

I mean, I have yet to buy a Switch and working myself through Pokemon Moon and Tropical Freeze...

I figured I might need to take a day or two off just to spend time finishing games of yesteryear.

But my word this is a welcome re-release!

The music is so good.

US release date is 6th October.

Edited by Ike

You know, they say that becoming a father or perhaps finding the love of your life is one of the best days of your life.

I say 'I HAVE CHORTLES' because when they revealed this all casual like during Treehouse Live I knew this would be one of those days that will be hard to top.

This along with Nintendo's E3 satisfied me in many ways. Many. Ways.

I HAVE THE FINAL CHUCKLE!

Jesus, what a title. "Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time & Bowsers Minions" is such a mouth full.

Jesus, what a title. "Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time & Bowsers Minions" is such a mouth full.

They already announced a sequel!?

They already announced a sequel!?

Surprised you haven't mentioned the fact NoE haven't added "Bros" to the title. :p

I've never been particularly fond of the visual style of the Mario & Luigi games so I'm actually quite disappointed in what I'm seeing of the 3DS version of Superstar Saga :hmm:

I never played the original (in fact, a few hours of Partners in Time before trading it in is as much as I've ever experienced of the series :red:) but may have been more enticed if they updated the graphics more, perhaps making the characters and locations 3D. As it is, I don't feel any more compelled to try it out than previously!

Launch trailer (though it's out on October 6th)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yRAAEV5tGg

Edited by MindFreak

Well, this is upsetting. People on GAF have the game already and have commented how Nintendo have really nerfed the difficulty and made some changes in the game.

Enemies attack patterns are way easier and predictable now so you can easily dodge them.
They even added a red or green target circle under the bro that is being attacked so you are absolutely sure which dodge button (Mario or Luigi) to press.

As a bonus it seems Miyamoto's only use regular Mario enemies rule still has some effect, just look at the new regular Koopa Troopa compared to the fighter pilot look in the original.

DLSLPKEWsAUrBIh.jpg

DLSLN2wWAAAbJnU.jpg

I haven't learned about blocking yet but apparently they've made that easier too by not requiring you to time it.

They've messed with how Mario and Luigi defend with their hammers. Previously defending for too long would see the Bros buckle under the weight of their hammers, this no longer happens, making an element of battles easier as there's always a reliable timing window for defending.

The consensus is that roughly 4/5 of the game remains intact, but they ended up reusing Dream Team sprites to replace more unique sprites, probably to save on work. This includes the troopas in the Airship, some enemies in the Woohoo Hooniversity, unique toad sprites in the Toad Village, etc.

The difficulty thing doesn't bother me but changing the unique sprites does. Its a big problem I have with the later Paper Mario games, where they just use generic characters rather than having unique ones that add personality to the game.

Reviews are starting to trickle out and, despite my issues with the changing of sprites, it looks like this remake is fantastic. No surprise really given how great the original is.

I have never played a game in this series before but definitely interested in this. 

Shame about the unique designs are gone, but I don't remember the original being difficult.

My copy shipped this morning.

17 hours ago, Ike said:

Shame about the unique designs are gone, but I don't remember the original being difficult.

You're right, the game has always been very easy. If you know what you're doing, you can completely destroy any notion of difficulty (Mush Badges are hilariously OP). It's going to be even more apparent after Dream Team and Paper Jam, which are very difficult compared to Superstar Saga.

Reading some of those GAF quotes, it's really blatant who didn't play the other 3DS games. And I want to explain some of those things, seeing as I'm one of the very few people who actually played them.

They've messed with how Mario and Luigi defend with their hammers. Previously defending for too long would see the Bros buckle under the weight of their hammers, this no longer happens, making an element of battles easier as there's always a reliable timing window for defending

That's how it is in the 3DS games, probably due to how harsh DT and PJ can be for missing timings. 2 hit kills are completely normal there. But with the easy-peasy Superstar Saga, it's not balanced for that.

I haven't learned about blocking yet but apparently they've made that easier too by not requiring you to time it.

That's Emergency Block. Basically a crutch for people who found the 3DS games too hard. Which is reasonable, they're balls hard! There were also some unblockable attacks which you had to use block for. Once again, Superstar Saga wasn't designed for that.

They even added a red or green target circle under the bro that is being attacked so you are absolutely sure which dodge button (Mario or Luigi) to press.

Yup, Paper Jam did it, it's called Assist Mode and in that game, is completely optional!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Reading some of those GAF quotes, it's really blatant who didn't play the other 3DS games. And I want to explain some of those things, seeing as I'm one of the very few people who actually played them.

That's how it is in the 3DS games, probably due to how harsh DT and PJ can be for missing timings. 2 hit kills are completely normal there. But with the easy-peasy Superstar Saga, it's not balanced for that.

That's Emergency Block. Basically a crutch for people who found the 3DS games too hard. Which is reasonable, they're balls hard! There were also some unblockable attacks which you had to use block for. Once again, Superstar Saga wasn't designed for that.

I can see where people are coming from, though. If the original game is all they've played then these changes will come across as making the game easy and very jarring. 

I picked my copy up this morning. I brought my 3DS to work with me, so i'll probably get it started during my lunch break.

I've been playing this in between other stuf, today. I love the QoL improvements that have been made. Being able to save anywhere, switch moves by using the touch screen, having the map on the bottom screen, all make for a better experience. 

I've unlocked the Minion section but I'm not sure if I'll start that until I've beaten the main story.

I never played the original, but have played many of these Mario and Luigimgames. Picked this up yesterday and so far I am enjoying it. I did notice that they haven’t added 3D to the game as with the slider up it just looks the same. No biggie. 

Ill be taking my time to play this as and when I get a few hours to spare at a time. 

Finished the game this week, took about 19 hours without collecting everything. The final boss was a complete slog though and took me a few goes which was a bit frustrating to have to start over with the fight taking so long.

Just to repeat what I've said before, but I still prefer the 3DS version over the original.

Not going to bother with the Bowser's Minions, at least for now.

• Thanks 1