NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo confirms: No live conference at E3 this year

Figured I'd start this thread

Nintendo has confirmed that there will be no live presentation at E3 this year

Disappointed but not surprised. The Direct/Digital Event works for them, even if I prefer a live showing.

Given how the Switch event went in Japan earlier this year, I think a Nintendo Direct is probably the right way to go!

If they've got great games to show, I'm happy either way :hehe:

Awesome news. The live conferences are always the worst part of E3.

(now just confirm the Treehouse livestreams pls)

Given how the Switch event went in Japan earlier this year, I think a Nintendo Direct is probably the right way to go!

Yeah, this is a good point. Outside of a couple of moments that whole thing felt very flat, not to mention the translator getting screwed over.

Thinking about it, i'm probably less happy about this than I have been in previous years. I imagine they will use the same format as the new Direct and i'm not a fan of that. I like to be surprised rather than seeing a ticker on screen telling me whats coming up. While they do have something like ????? on the ticker when a new is to be shown, it still takes away the surprise of the announcement just dropping out of no where.

I agree with HoT, I'm not a fan of the new format they used. I can cope with a Direct but the feel of a live show is better in my opinion.

Let's just hope for something more along the lines of E3 2014 and less like E3 2013/2016...

Hopefully it's the Digital Event rather than the Direct format, I've liked them using that even if the content hasn't always been what we've wanted.

Either way, I'm happier with this rather than a live event; I think last year and then Nintendo's own live event showed that they are something of a relic of the past.

If Nintendo continue with a similar format as the last few E3's, i'll be happy with that (Direct/Digital Event, then a live Treehouse afterwards). Bit weird not doing a live presentation at E3, but i'm not surprised as this is Nintendo we're talking about.

Either way, I'm happier with this rather than a live event; I think last year and then Nintendo's own live event showed that they are something of a relic of the past.

Out of curiosity, who do you think had a bad one last year? Sony has had killer E3 pressers for the past few years now, same goes for the Playstation Experience conferences they have in December. Microsoft, despite not having a strong line up of games, have even taken note and trimmed the fat, with their conference getting rid of the talking and focusing purely on the games.

The roughest of the live stuff has been from Japan, with both the TGS event and Nintendo's Switch reveal being the ones that didn't deliver.

Thing is, Sony's E3 last year was just game game game game game game game. It had very little actual stage presence. It was, for all intents and purposes, a live Direct

Thing is, Sony's E3 last year was just game game game game game game game. It had very little actual stage presence. It was, for all intents and purposes, a live Direct

Which I still prefer as you get a sense of atmosphere when watching them. This is what's lacking with a Digital Event.

If I were to imagine an awesome Metroid being shown off, in a Digital Event it wouldn't have the same feeling as in a live event where you feel the excitement from the crowd.

Edited by Kav

Which I still prefer as you get a sense of atmosphere when watching them. This is what's lacking with a Digital Event.

Yup.

What most of us seem to want is exactly what you've described, @Serebii. Game, after game, after game, with a live crowd going wild, all the while drawing the audience in with their excitement.

Yup.

What most of us seem to want is exactly what you've described, @Serebii. Game, after game, after game, with a live crowd going wild, all the while drawing the audience in with their excitement.

Problem is that the live crowd is filled with plants.

Also, take the Zelda reaction from 2004. On the initial stream, we didn't actually get any of it. It wasn't until someone else posted their own video of it that we got the scope of it,

Also, take the Zelda reaction from 2004. On the initial stream, we didn't actually get any of it. It wasn't until someone else posted their own video of it that we got the scope of it,

As i've mentioned before, the plants are obvious if the announcement doesn't warrant the kind of excitement shown but when a company gets it right, and what is shown is very exciting, there's no faking the reaction/response that happens and it's great to feed off of that.

To be fair it's a pointless debate. We've been at this for years now and we simply have a different view on what we think a E3 conference should be.

Basically if you have good games to show, live event is the way to do it.

Honestly, look up some of the live reaction videos to Sony's E3 2015 showing (the triple - Last Guardian, FF7, Shenmue 3). Unreal.

And? Directs are fool of wool.

That live orchestra at Sony's event last year was incredible, something like that could not be done with the same impact in a video.

That live orchestra at Sony's event last year was incredible, something like that could not be done with the same impact in a video.

And the personality and charm of Nintendo's Robot Chicken animations in 2014 and the puppet show from 2015 could not be done with the same impact in a live stage show. There's pros and cons to both.

I agree with serebii, last year's Sony show was just trailer trailer trailer trailer, sure there was audience reaction but the presentation seemed a bit pointless and dated.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

I find it weird suddenly showing nothing but games is a bad thing.

And I'd rather watch actual Robot Chicken where they can do more adult things :heh: Plus the theme tune.

Babuk buk buk, buk buk buk, buk buk bukka bukka buk buk buk.

Complaint that too many games were shown. Can't tell if that's actually a backhanded compliment.

Sony didn't just show trailer after trailer; they knew the audience was there in the auditorium, alongside a large online audience, because every trailer was dropped without build up to the point that almost all of them left the reveal of the title until the end. People weren't told what they were watching until they'd seen it and it meant every time a trailer started to play conversation exploded. They absolutely – and clinically – preyed on the hype. It'd be silly to say they didn't use their audience.

Okay fair enough, but saying the show "was just trailer trailer trailer trailer" and that it "seemed a bit pointless and dated" could certainly be interpreted as complaining about them showing nothing but games. What was your issue with it?