NEurope
bob

Westminster Attack

Looks like there has been some sort of terror attack at Westminster, or at least they're treating it as one for now.

Some people hit by a car, the driver of which then stabs a woman, and is shot by police. One woman is confirmed dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39355505

What is going on in the world. They suspended Parliament, got the PM out and from my last check, still have a load of people on the London Eye secure.

[tweet]844612480349327360[/tweet]

Can't imagine what it's like for those people to witness that horrible events.

Jesus. Immediately makes me think of the BG attacker here. Drove into a crowd and then started stabbing until police shot him.

The world is going crazier and crazier.

We've been having remembrance events all day today for the attacks on Brussel from last year, and then this happens... it's like a never ending stream of attacks it seems. :(

My thoughts go out to those affected by all this, friends and family of the injured and deceased.

I hope this doesn't lead to more hate towards Muslims either, but I'm afraid it will.

It's horrible that this sort of attack has taken place and my thoughts go out to their families and loved ones.

It is just completely senseless and cruel. Horrible that a human being would do this to another.

Its horrible, but still more noble then, lets say, nuke civilian targets or dronekill someone from an airconditioned room.

Its horrible, but still more noble then, lets say, nuke civilian targets or dronekill someone from an airconditioned room.

You should probably just stick to posting memes...

Very sad this has happened yet again. Have walked around that part of Westminster quite a few times before, usually full of tourists and workers.

More has to be done to protect pedestrians from vehicle attacks. In London more pavements need barriers at the roadside.

It's interesting they haven't released the attacker's name (as far as I can see). I'm glad, too.

I have never been able to comprehend attacks like these as they simply have no point whatsoever. The attacker invariably dies and even if not, they don't get anything out of it.

It's interesting they haven't released the attacker's name (as far as I can see). I'm glad, too.

Agreed, it is thought giving the attacker as little exposure as possible would be a good way for the media to handle things in events like this. I suspect it is just a matter of time though then it will be all over the Daily Mail. With other attacks such as Norway it is embarrassing how much coverage the attacker got, which is exactly what they want.

Mrs May gave details of those who were injured in the Westminster terror attack.

They included 12 Britons, three French children, two Romanians, four South Koreans, two Greeks, and one person each from Germany, Poland, Ireland, China, Italy and the United States.

Three police officers were also hurt, two of them seriously.

One woman who died was on her way to collect her children from school.

The attacker was previously known to MI5.

The authorities have so far been fairly decent in not attributing too much to the motive/reasoning/motivation. Sadly the media have not quite been that reserved - and whilst we don't actually officially know that it's related to Islamist extremism too much of the media have either intentionally or unintentionally put out that message - I'd dare say if you asked a general population they'll link it to Islam and that's one point really annoying me about this whole thing. Before we even had details yesterday i had a friend bring religion up - I do worry going forward for anyone who is or even 'looks' Muslim.

I think i can see the extension of your point here - but do please be mindful that it can still be quite a sensitive subject for many. Posting to make said points with a bit more elaboration to possibly further the discussion may be more beneficial.

The attacker was previously known to MI5.

This is becoming a common theme. Surely there needs to be a zero tolerance attitude to anybody with links to terrorist organisations. I'm surprised there hasn't been a legal case where a victims family sue the Government for not preventing an attack.

I wouldn't say it is. In both scenarios, the victims have absolutely no chance to defend themselves. Running people down from the safety of your car is cowardice. As is stabbing an unarmed police officer.

This is becoming a common theme. Surely there needs to be a zero tolerance attitude to anybody with links to terrorist organisations. I'm surprised there hasn't been a legal case where a victims family sue the Government for not preventing an attack.

Maybe there is and they had enough evidence to finally bring him in, causing him to panic and execute this attack in a desperate move. It certainly wasn't a thoroughly planned out attack.

The fact is, none of us know what was known about the guy beforehand, or what the police were planning. One thing I do know, is that the police are humans too and are just as sickened by it as the rest of us. I have every faith they did (and still do) everything in their power to prevent this sort of thing.

Remember, we don't always hear about the successful preventions of terror attacks, but we always know about the failures.

Apparently someone has tried to drive into a crowd in Belgium - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/antwerp-attempt-man-car-drive-belgian-shopping-district-police-rifle-found-bladed-weapons-arrested-a7646091.html

And I've seen news of a shooting of a former MP/witness in Russia? Its kinda mad cos incidents like yesterday suddenly make you a bit.more hypervigilant - and i start to wonder how much is linked to terrorism and also how much was occuring beforehand which we might have otherwise glossed over.

I'm sorry but... are you suggesting that this act had even the tiniest shred of nobility??

Also I disagree with your specific points... it is hard but there are glimmers of nobility in both your examples. As for that loser, I can't find the slightest hint of nobility.