NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

IR Pointer in the Right Joy-Con??

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-nintendo-switchs-right-joy-con-offers-ir-pointer-functionality/

Joycon-IR.jpg?resize=1080%2C646

Hello again, Nintendo fans clamouring for information on the Switch. It’s not big, but we’ve got a little additional info for you today.

Over the past few days, much discussion has taken place about the Nintendo Switch potentially having a multi-touch screen on its handheld portion. We said in a recent report that we believe games will not be allowed to require touch screen functionality for any game, as all Switch games will be required to be playable while the handheld is in the dock.

With regards to how this will be circumvented, we believe the solution is that touch screen games will be playable on your TV by use of an IR pointer located in the bottom of the right Joy-Con.

Joycon.jpg?resize=1080%2C450

Joycon-IR.jpg?resize=1080%2C544

Having spoken to sources within Ubisoft, we believe that games which support touch functionality on the handheld will use IR functionality to replicate that ability on the TV.

We believe the handheld, when docked, will switch on two small IR lights similar to the Wii Sensor Bar at the top of the handheld screen, peeking out above the top of the dock. The IR sensor in the right Joy-Con can then be used in much the same way as a Wii Remote pointer. This is designed to be used for touch screen replication, rather than the camera turning and aiming functions Wii Remotes were often used for.

IR.png?resize=1080%2C608

We believe this links in closely with our August report that the Joy-Con controllers on the Switch will replicate much of the functionality of the old Wii Remote. Our only trepidation with regards to this report is that it would require you to use the right Joy-Con in such a way that the lettered face buttons appeared to be upside down. This seems somewhat counter to the otherwise well thought-out and stylish design of the system.

Joycon-IR-Final.jpg?resize=625%2C775

So, what do you think of this report? Do you like the idea of IR pointer functionality replacing a touch screen when your game is docked? Let us know in the comments below.

I very much like the idea. The thought of having to turn the Right Joy-Con upside down to use the pointer on the bottom seems a bit of a stretch, but maybe there's something to it.

Perhaps it wasn't a reflection of the curtains after all?...

I very much like the idea. The thought of having to turn the Right Joy-Con upside down to use the pointer on the bottom seems a bit of a stretch, but maybe there's something to it.

Perhaps it wasn't a reflection of the curtains after all?...

Yeah, I quite this idea. Very clever, if true. Having the screen pop out of the dock now makes some sense. :D

I just figured the screen popped out the top so you had something to grab to remove it

I just figured the screen popped out the top so you had something to grab to remove it
Could well be. The thing that bothers me with that is you're effectively grabbing the screen no... there's next to no edge to grab. Surely you shouldn't grab the screen, whenever you do press a screen you get that distortion ripple. A better design would be a push down to pop-up eject, or an eject button somewhere on the console. But yeah they just grab it in the video.

Tbh, that's what I thought, too.

This sounds a bit strange, but it's probably one of those things that makes more sense when you see it in action.

Seems a bit awkward having it on the bottom of the Joy Con, but obviously they can't fit it on the top because it would just be covered up when using the shoulder buttons. It just seems odd to me that half of the functionality of the controller would be missing when using the IR pointer, but I guess the games that use touchscreen/IR won't be requiring players to use any more than the face buttons.

OK, looking again at the picture of the screen docked, there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for the screen at the front to be showing. It could be covered and you could still remove the screen - by wrapping your fingers around a 'handle/ridge' on the back, where the dock also drops away. Surely the preference would be for the screen to be fully protected... unless it does need to be showing for some functionality.

It's definitely be easy for them to bury two IR emitters in the bezel of the screen. It would make the pointer functionality usable when on the go too so makes sense over putting the emitters onto the dock.

I'm not sure I buy it :hehe:

The position of this supposed IR pointer seems bizarre but there's also the fact that Skyward Sword used the motion controls to move a pointer rather than the more conventional method so I suspect they'd maybe just do that.

If there was to be a pointer, I think it would need to be at the top to better replicate the Wii Remote.

I don't buy it either. It might be an IR port but I don't think it'll be used as a pointer. The Wii U and 3DS had IR ports but they were barely used.

The PS4 controller uses motion as a pointer doesn't it? I find it works surprisingly well when typing on the keyboard, maybe even just as fast as using buttons.

God I hope so. I hope that it's able to fully replicate a Wii Remote Plus! :D

These things do already feature IR blasters, that's how they connect to the base unit (same as the Circle Pad Pro), so it's not really a stretch to imagine it having a Wii Remote esc IR camera)

I'm not sure I buy it :hehe:

The position of this supposed IR pointer seems bizarre but there's also the fact that Skyward Sword used the motion controls to move a pointer rather than the more conventional method so I suspect they'd maybe just do that.

If there was to be a pointer, I think it would need to be at the top to better replicate the Wii Remote.

Skyward Sword does use the IR pointer. It uses it for re-calibration (just like how Wii Sports Resort does). You can actually see what it's like playing without one, since the game has an option to turn off the IR re-calibration (it predictably messes up the calibration pretty badly - it's useful if your play area has a lot of light pollution though; which is the source of most people's problems with the Wii Remote's motion controls in that game)

Edited by Dcubed

If they wanted to replicate the touch screen without the touch screen would it not make sense to have the dog's face be similar to the touch pad on the PS4?

If they wanted to replicate the touch screen without the touch screen would it not make sense to have the dog's face be similar to the touch pad on the PS4?

I've said this too in general, it being touch. But for this purpose I guess it doesn't work for specific person the screen as you won't know where you're pressing relegation to the screen.

I like this idea, it seems great, everything about this system seems incredibly well thought out, a lot of opportunities in a very simple system. Please be not head slapping decisions nintendo, please!!!

Shamelessly stolen from GAF...

mF8dpuJ.jpg

The sensor bar for the JoyCon's IR camera could well be inside the base unit itself. Would explain why part of the Switch sticks out from the top of the dock...

Actually makes a lot of sense! Though it does beg the question of where the dock would need to be positioned relative to the TV (since you're obviously not gonna be able to stick it directly above or below it...)

Actually makes a lot of sense! Though it does beg the question of where the dock would need to be positioned relative to the TV (since you're obviously not gonna be able to stick it directly above or below it...)

Wouldn't a simple "point it at the centre of the TV" help to calibrate the off centre set up?(genuine question, I don't know)

Wouldn't a simple "point it at the centre of the TV" help to calibrate the off centre set up?(genuine question, I don't know)

Might do. That's kind of how the HOTD games worked on Wii (it was basic triangulation that allowed you to "look down the sights" of the Wii Remote to aim without a cursor - worked very very well actually!)

Food for thought though. Maybe it'll still have a sensor bar port on it anyway, for those who already have them on Wii/Wii U? (But it probably won't come with one)

The idea's certainly interesting with enough possible truths but it does seem a bit bizarre - having it on the bottom of the controller for example. I also don't see why they can't just put(as someone mentioned) a PS4-style middle pad in the middle of the controller for docked mode and just use that as a touch screen - with visual feedback on the main screen in the way of some sort of indicator - exactly the same thing you'd have to have with a pointer anyway. Seems a simpler and more sensible implementation than a pointer system which will have to involve re-orientating the controllers to use the pointer.

They should just have a gyro/accelerometer in the joy cons and use them to compensate for not having an IR pointer

They should just have a gyro/accelerometer in the joy cons and use them to compensate for not having an IR pointer

I was gonna say that I think the issue is calibration etc. though I guess the PS4 pad manages it ok? I haven't used the pad for much motion stuff barring maybe Flow and the keyboard(even then I find it fiddly). Personally I think for unity of experience that if it's a touch thing on the go then it should have an equivalent touch thing at home - none of this pointer style substitution.

I was gonna say that I think the issue is calibration etc. though I guess the PS4 pad manages it ok?

The Wii U GamePad also handles it really well. All the GamePad pointer functions in games is entirely gryo-based.

My prediction is that the joycons both have a gyro, and the Switch can use both (along with knowing what they're plugged into) to be more accurate.

The Wii U GamePad also handles it really well. All the GamePad pointer functions in games is entirely gryo-based.

My prediction is that the joycons both have a gyro, and the Switch can use both (along with knowing what they're plugged into) to be more accurate.

That's a pretty good prediction and I think it's realistic.

Would that affect the battery life of the JCs too much?

That's a pretty good prediction and I think it's realistic.

Would that affect the battery life of the JCs too much?

Can't imagine that it would. I wonder if they draw power from the screen/dock thingy or if they have to be charged seperately though...

I was thinking that motion controls might have a big impact on battery because of how lacklustre the battery on the Dualshock 4 is, but then I remembered the PS3 controller had SIXAXIS and lasts for ages so I'm not sure what impact they have really.

You'd think they'd charge when connected to the grip or the Switch screen, it makes things much simpler than being able to charge everything separately.

I was thinking that motion controls might have a big impact on battery because of how lacklustre the battery on the Dualshock 4 is, but then I remembered the PS3 controller had SIXAXIS and lasts for ages so I'm not sure what impact they have really.

You'd think they'd charge when connected to the grip or the Switch screen, it makes things much simpler than being able to charge everything separately.

It's the light bar that drains most of the battery on the DS4 no?

Motion controls have a negligible impact on battery life really.

Sign in to follow this