NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

I didn't say bad, I said dull. There's a world of difference there. Movement satisfaction is a big part of the "Good Platformer" package for me, so taking that away makes me sceptical.

You also happen to be talking about my second favourite NSMB game, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Watch the footage again, it looks like it's going to be highly skill based, knowing exactly when to jump, how strong to make a jump and whether to hover or not. There seems to be a huge amount of score variations and I think it'll have huge replay value.

Jumping on consecutive goombas instead of hurdling them for instance gives you a coin multiplier.

Watch the footage again, it looks like it's going to be highly skill based, knowing exactly when to jump, how strong to make a jump and whether to hover or not. There seems to be a huge amount of score variations and I think it'll have huge replay value.

Jumping on consecutive goombas instead of hurdling them for instance gives you a coin multiplier.

Don't act like I don't pay attention to footage. Give me more credit than that.

There's no actual punishment for running head-first into them, that's what erks me.

It's a timing game, that's all it's got going for it so far. Speedrunning through a Mario platformer is far more satisfying and challenging, but the best thing is, you don't have to do that.

Don't act like I don't pay attention to footage. Give me more credit than that.

There's no actual punishment for running head-first into them, that's what erks me.

It's a timing game, that's all it's got going for it so far. Speedrunning through a Mario platformer is far more satisfying and challenging, but the best thing is, you don't have to do that.

It's not meant for you...

There will be a high score element for those that want some sort of depth, but the game is aimed at Joe and Jane Shmoe, Mobile Gamer Extraordinaire. Making a game where they can die and not make any progress is a sure fire way of putting them off buying the rest of the game ("it's too hard...") and not getting the chance to push them towards buying the real Mario games on 3DS/Wii U/NX (which, along with pushing people onto the My Nintendo and future NX platforms, is the real objective behind these games).

It's a necessary concession on a platform that has no means of precise input for action games and for an audience that demands instant gratification in short bursts.

Edited by Dcubed

The punishment is losing time and missing out on coins you could have collected by jumping on them.

The punishment is losing time and missing out on coins you could have collected by jumping on them.

Exactly. It's about re-framing what "punishment" for failure is. Instead of "punishing" players for failure, it simply just doesn't give them the reward that they would've gotten if they played well.

That way, the average player doesn't feel bad for not playing well, while the good players feel accomplished for getting all the coins/high scores. It fits the platform and the audience well.

It's not meant for you...

Oh gee! You think!?

I hate that excuse, always seems like a go to for when someone doesn't like something.

I can't have opinions because it's not for me? Then what's the point of this forum then?

Oh gee! You think!?

I hate that excuse, always seems like a go to for when someone doesn't like something.

I can't have opinions because it's not for me? Then what's the point of this forum then?

Obviously you can have an opinion (and it's very right I might add), but you also have to consider why the choices were made and who they were made for.

Let's take the closest example we have, say... the cannon levels in NSMB2. What do you think the purchase rate would be for a mobile game with that level of difficulty? (considering also that you have no buttons and an extremely restrictive field of view since you have to make the game portrait)

Probably a lot lower than this game here.

Do I like the look of SMR? Not particularly. Is it a smart decision to go with the game as it is? Yeah, probably.

The approach taken here in regards to difficulty is actually pretty interesting though. The way that they're re-framing "failure" is pretty novel actually and I think it's worthy of merit. It's an interesting compromise.

Did you see one of the points in my post at the top of the page - paid for games still account for ~50% of all money made from mobiles (as opposed to IAP and advertising). It's declining, but it's still a surprising chunk.

Isn't that related to all apps, rather than just gaming? There's no way 50% of revenue in games comes from paid apps, I'd be surprised if it's even 5%. To be honest I question that it's 50% across all apps - just take a look at any of the top grossing charts.

I think Nintendo have been pretty smart with their approach to mobile, given the platform and the IP it seems like they're doing exactly the right thing to please the audience, present their IP in the best light, and leave the door open for players to graduate to a full Nintendo experience.

While you're clearly not getting the full console experience I fully expect that this will be a best in class for the genre on mobile and really what more can Nintendo do? You have to create games that suit the hardware and meet the expectations of the user base of the platform, to me this is exactly what Nintendo seem to be doing.

Isn't that related to all apps' date=' rather than just gaming? There's no way 50% of revenue in games comes from paid apps, I'd be surprised if it's even 5%. To be honest I question that it's 50% across all apps - just take a look at any of the top grossing charts.

I think Nintendo have been pretty smart with their approach to mobile, given the platform and the IP it seems like they're doing exactly the right thing to please the audience, present their IP in the best light, and leave the door open for players to graduate to a full Nintendo experience.

While you're clearly not getting the full console experience I fully expect that this will be a best in class for the genre on mobile and really what more can Nintendo do? You have to create games that suit the hardware and meet the expectations of the user base of the platform, to me this is exactly what Nintendo seem to be doing.[/quote']

Dunno...the source is titled "Apple Users Spend Twice As Much On Mobile Games Than Android Players" but then elsewhere just says "apps" so...you're guess is as good as mine?

Dunno...the source is titled "Apple Users Spend Twice As Much On Mobile Games Than Android Players" but then elsewhere just says "apps" so...you're guess is as good as mine?

It's a bad title from reporting on a report. The chart they've used is definitely all apps rather than just gaming. The original apps flyer report has totals and then breaks it down by category, although annoyingly not for that particular stat.

I was worried this would be a procedurally generated endless runner like the Sonic one but it's heartening to see the levels are designed and finely tuned. I think it could be really great fun as a quick time waster.

My Mrs' kids would love this! They love runner games, especially the youngest.

My Mrs' kids would love this! They love runner games, especially the youngest.

They're your kids now!!!

The grossest thing about this announcement is the NEW Super Mario Bros art style :p (no doubt you'll prob be able to switch/unlock other #PayToWin).

Bring on the DKCR mine kart runner and I'm 103% in!!

Haven't followed the news. Any announcement regarding an Android release?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a moron. It's in the title (I actually wrote "tital" before...I need to sleep).

That's why it's so surprising that Nintendo are going this route with SMR.

Tbh I think you guys are overthinking it and the importance of this. We can see it's a small(ish) game that probably hasn't required too much in the way of resources.

I don't imagine they're planning to make millions on this(though they may) - but rather just put it out there and test the waters.There is of course added benefits such as the marketing/advertising aspect of it that Ashley mentions, but I think this is Nintendo finally taking some steps out of their comfort zones and trying new things to see how they go.

Why is everyone so bitter? Nintendo are making a very good business decision that clearly isn't taking up much development time and wasn't aimed at most of us anyway. I don't see such an uproar when they release the likes of Brain Training or Nintendogs.

And to write off the entire mobile market just makes you look ignorant and out of touch.

Little dev time or much, I'm not surprised that people are pissed.

The Wii U has barelly had anything announced for it for AGES. Let's face it, Nintendo didn't have an enticing E3 for the system until 2014. And they haven't even tried to hit the same heights since. So with Pokémon Go out and SMR announced out of the blue, developed in-house by Nintendo (which I believe they promised they wouldn't do), a lot of people, espescially ones who don't understand game development, could see this as Nintendo making mobile games instead of supporting a system that people paid a whole load of cash for, not at all that long ago.

Some people may at this point be seeing parallells between Metal Gear Solid 5 and Breath of the Wild. In other words: a super-promising game which SHOULD bring in a new age of greatness, but later turned out to be a terrible dissapointment of an end.

That being said, I don't think this is a disaster. If Nintendo use it as a proper marketing tool, it'll be great. Hopefully it'll generate lots of cash flow. But if the NX launch lineup isn't up to scratch, then the backlash will be a spectacle for the ages.

If we're talking costs you pay about 2.5 times as much for an iPhone over it's life than a Wii U ;)

I think them ensuring they have at least some knowledge on mobile development in house is wise. They got screwed with servers in the past because they relied on outside knowledge. Miyamoto has already confirmed they're working on another Mario anyway.

I wonder if this is a small team/younger member similar to Splatoon...

That being said, I don't think this is a disaster.

Who can possibly think this is a 'disaster'? On the contrary, most people see this as a good thing.

If Nintendo use it as a proper marketing tool, it'll be great. Hopefully it'll generate lots of cash flow. But if the NX launch lineup isn't up to scratch, then the backlash will be a spectacle for the ages.

I think you're overestimating the resources required to make this mobile game. It's probably a very small team and will barely affect their big development teams.

I think you're overestimating the resources required to make this mobile game. It's probably a very small team and will barely affect their big development teams.

Let me clarify my stance in my previous post. How much effort went into SMR is irrelevant. Public perception is everything.

Nintendo could release ten in-house AAA games for mobile a year and noone would bat an eye. IF they were churning out even more and even better content for their home consoles.

But they aren't. The Wii U basically died in May of 2015, as the systems flagship which IMO should've been released within the consoles first few months on the market was first promised a 2015 release before, a mere few months before the original launch date, was pushed back to after the release of the NX. The 3DS is doing better, but with Federation Force, people are questioning the quality of their releases. NX is six months away from release and we know NOTHING. Add on top of that, that Nintendo first signed up with one mobile developer, then a second and now are using internal resources for mobile game, and we've got a LOT of reason for people to be displeased.

If Nintendo have a Nintendo Direct within the next month, showing a launch lineup that pleases virtually everyone, then all will be forgiven.

But if we see a repeat of E3 2012, showing one sidescroller, one minigame compilation, a visually unimpressive top-down sequel to a franchise that's barelly sold three million units combined ten years ago and ends with a virtual fireworks display with SNES-level particle effects, then that's it. The NX will sell even worse and I doubt it'll even be possible for Nintendo to salvage any reputation.

WHO exactly do you think will give a shit? General public won't think about devteams in any way shape of all, and people who are interested in those things will know it's just a small team and not a big deal.

I thought it was fairly clear he was seeming to suggest owners of other Nintendo hardware?

I thought it was fairly clear he was seeming to suggest owners of other Nintendo hardware?

All of them? Well I don't see one person on this forum being annoyed by it because it's taking resources away from main games. I also don't think Wii u owners are a hive mind so I just wanted clarity on which ones exactly because like I say - I think most people own one either don't think about development teams and such, or know this won't be a development suck taking away from other games. So I don't know what's left for such an angry response.