NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

Wow, I hadn't paid much attention to this game as I don't commute anymore, and for longer journeys I take the 3DS. But man, it looks great. I'd buy it if I had a better phone.

Looks pretty cool, I think it's a good move to make the first 4 levels available for free - it will feel like something substantial and give people a good taste of what to expect from the rest of the game. The ad with all the people running definitely has me feeling optimistic about the Switch's chances, they really seem to have learned their lesson on the marketing front if this and the Switch reveal are any indication.

I can't get over how good that ad is. That and the Switch one are hugely encouraging for Nintendo's future. There's as much polish in the ads as in their games. Big fan of the rebrand too, with big N logo on the red background :heart:

Mario Run needs an internet connection to play it.

Mario Run needs internet while using app, not just when launching it, Nintendo says.

Well, there goes my excitement. :(

You know these days you can have 4G for like... £5/mo? Or do you live in the land that mobile providers forgot?

You know these days you can have 4G for like... £5/mo? Or do you live in the land that mobile providers forgot?

And tablets that only have WiFi connection?

I have 3G which is fine for what I use my phone for. I'm not paying extra when I don't need to. I'm not one of these people who upgrades his phone every year just because something is new and shiny. I'm still rocking my iPhone 4S.

I was just using 4G as a way of saying "mobile internet", I guess I don't understand the issue then. Is it not compatible with iPhone 4S, and you have a tablet you're hoping to play on but it's wifi only? If so, fair enough.

However, bit unnecessary to group up people who have a phone better than an iPhone 4S as people who "upgrade just for something new and shiny", how about... people who want something that can actually support an up to date OS and modern games? :p Not to mention iOS 8 is rife with security vulnerabilities....

That ad was great but...why is there no light source on Mario/the castle? :heh:

Just one of those things that gripes me.

However, bit unnecessary to group up people who have a phone better than an iPhone 4S as people who "upgrade just for something new and shiny"

I'm just talking from personal experience. I know many people who upgrade their phones simply because it's new and everyone else is doing it. For the things they use it for their old phone works fine.

The way I am is that I don't upgrade until it's knackered. The same goes for thinks like my car and TV. Hell, I'm still rocking a 720p 37inch LCD that I bought years ago because it runs perfectly fine.

When you say "knackered", do you mean completely unusable? Because I'm surprised if your 4S is still enjoyably usable. My friend recently upgraded his and it was so painfully slow.

Surely not, won't people be playing this on the tube and such? No way will it require an internet connection to play. Definitely wasn't in response to toad rally or something? Has no logic whatsoever.

Surely not, won't people be playing this on the tube and such? No way will it require an internet connection to play. Definitely wasn't in response to toad rally or something? Has no logic whatsoever.

Toad Rally requires it, thus they decided to make all modes require it.

Something about security...it was a pretty incoherent answer.

For us, we view our software as being a very important asset for us. And also for consumers who are purchasing the game, we want to make sure that we're able to offer it to them in a way that the software is secure, and that they're able to play it in a stable environment.

We wanted to be able to leverage that network connection with all three of the [super Mario Run] modes to keep all of the modes functioning together and offering the game in a way that keeps the software secure. This is something that we want to continue to work on as we continue to develop the game.

But actually, the security element is one of the reasons that we decided to go with iPhone and iOS first. So this is just — based on the current development environment — a requirement that's been built into the game to support security and the fact that the three different modes are connecting to the network and interacting with one another.

We had thought at one point that it would be nice to have the World Tour [story] mode available standalone, to be able to play without that connection. But then the challenge is when that's operating in a standalone mode, it actually complicates the connection back to the Toad Rally and Kingdom modes. And because those two modes are relying on the network save, we had to integrate the World Tour mode as well.

http://mashable.com/2016/12/08/super-mario-run-shigeru-miyamoto-interview

When you say "knackered", do you mean completely unusable? Because I'm surprised if your 4S is still enjoyably usable. My friend recently upgraded his and it was so painfully slow.

Pretty much.

A lad at work is surprised mine is still working, as well. I only use it for texting, phone calls, Miitomo and browsing the net, so ive never really pushed the thing that hard. To be fair it is starting to slow down a little bit but I'm in no rush. :D

I think using it for Miitomo might be pushing that thing the way that app eats battery :heh:

Pretty much.

A lad at work is surprised mine is still working, as well. I only use it for texting, phone calls, Miitomo and browsing the net, so ive never really pushed the thing that hard. To be fair it is starting to slow down a little bit but I'm in no rush. :D

Haha I use my phone for the exact same purposes as you but i'm one of those suckers that upgrade every single time. I like shiny new tech :D

Anyway I will be getting this. I can use my 4G or wi fi so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I wasnt planning on getting the game until it was discounted anyway but a required internet connection has put me off.

An app that's constantly eating data is a slight concern.

I'm still rocking an iPhone 4S as well, but I am looking to upgrade in the Christmas sales. It's a shame all-you-can-eat data is so rare/pricey atm. I currently have it on my 4S and it's just nice peace of mind - I have no idea how much data I would need on a plan.

Toad Rally requires it, thus they decided to make all modes require it.

Something about security...it was a pretty incoherent answer.

http://mashable.com/2016/12/08/super-mario-run-shigeru-miyamoto-interview

And just when we thought nintendo would stop making stupid decisions....

Do they not realise that tube and trains and planes are good times people want to play games....? It's so bizarre....

What happens if you're in th middle of a level and lose connection momentarily?

Makes you wonder about the Switch, and how it's going to work out and about.

Would be pretty ridiculous considering its designed to be taken on the move.

Yeah a slightly strange(but rather Nintendo) sort of choice. I can see why - they're probably worried about pirating/jailbreaks etc but it's definitely a barrier that might put some off. Do we know how much data it's likely to use at all?

Seeing a lot of negativity around this news. It won't really affect me at all but it really feels like I'm in the minority.

GG, Nintendo.

It's even more bizarre when you look at Reggie's quote the other day...

“It’s not ‘Super Mario play, stop, and then have to pay more.’”

It was made in relation to microtransactions, but it kinda suits here. That mobile data ain't free, Reg!

Edited by Guy

In this day and age, the data it'll use will be negligible. Presumably, it won't have to download anything, everything is on the app.

In this day and age, the data it'll use will be negligible. Presumably, it won't have to download anything, everything is on the app.

Well it would have to download your friends data, ghost, updates to the kingdom builder thing (can't recall, can you see your friends? If so, you'll need to download that) and any leaderboard thing.

The need for internet connection does more than just cause problems for eating data though. It'll rinse your battery (again...) and also blocks out most planes, some trains (at least in this country as WiFi is hit and miss and connections can be patchy in the grassy knolls) and any underground services.