NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

Isn't Super Mario Run already the first game/app to use this notification thingy on the app store?

20 million signups with over a month to launch is indeed pretty crazy though.

Man, such a weird situation. :grin: But yeah... what a time to be alive. :heh:

But it has New Super Mario Bros graphics :p

Yeah it'll drop down to 2 million people when people realise that ;)

But it has New Super Mario Bros graphics :p
I actually have no problem with that whatsoever, but still think they might include optional retro SMB skins for the game.

As In-App Purchases, of course. :hehe:

New skins as IAP would be cool.

Isn't Super Mario Run already the first game/app to use this notification thingy on the app store?

20 million signups with over a month to launch is indeed pretty crazy though.

Man, such a weird situation. :grin: But yeah... what a time to be alive. :heh:

Yes I'm pretty sure Apple have never done this notification sign-up thing for anything else.

Yeah I remember that part. If they can secure top billing for the Christmas period that would be huge. It may even be the reason they're releasing in December, (not to mention right around the time people get iPhones for Christmas)

A few interesting revelations...

Firstly, the game is actually being developed by DENA themselves with Nintendo overseeing production (unlike Miitomo - where they handled all of the development in-house) according to Serkan Toto...

Secondly, it's being built on the Unity engine instead of a custom Nintendo made engine like Miitomo...

Interesting... I wonder if that means that Animal Crossing Mobile will be handled in the same way? (Fire Emblem will obviously be made by Intelligent Systems, so lord knows how that one's gonna work out; they already have loads of support studios working on Awakening and Fates, so presumably they might have a lot of it outsourced anyway)

I like the fact that in much the same way the record interest in Pokémon Sun/Moon is likely a response to Pokémon Go... Mario being all over peoples phones in the run up to Switch (wanted to type NX) will likely have a impact. It's a great strategy to start adopting - release a mobile equivalent a few months before a main console release and advertise it in the mobile game. Really hope we see Switch advertised in Mario Run.

I like the fact that in much the same way the record interest in Pokémon Sun/Moon is likely a response to Pokémon Go... Mario being all over peoples phones in the run up to Switch (wanted to type NX) will likely have a impact. It's a great strategy to start adopting - release a mobile equivalent a few months before a main console release and advertise it in the mobile game. Really hope we see Switch advertised in Mario Run.

I don't think they'll directly advertise the Switch console itself in Super Mario Run (it's far too direct, crass, disrespectful and likely to be swept past and ignored), but rather they'll use My Nintendo as a vector for marketing the Switch (and the Wii U/3DS). The trick behind this is in getting people to sign up to My Nintendo through Super Mario Run (which they will probably have to do to play the game) - That's how they get 'em. From that point, they then have the My Nintendo coins and promotions to encourage them to check out their "real" games and consoles and sign up for their newsletters, watch their Nintendo Directs etc ;)

The indirect approach with My Nintendo has far more potential than any sort of direct advertisement within the game itself. Instead of throwing adverts at them which would be ignored, they're gonna encourage people to actively sign up and read up about their other products by themselves. Instead of it being an advert that they'll want to avoid, they'll actually want to read up about it and get involved; it's a far more positive approach that turns the marketing into a game in of itself.

The fact that the Switch unveil is happening soon after Super Mario Run launches is surely no accident. They're gonna reward and encourage people to watch that live conference through My Nintendo; I'm pretty sure about it (earn coins and limited time only in-game items for Super Mario Run by watching this video through My Nintendo is something they could do... ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

Geez @Dcubed. Reading through that makes it all sound terribly sneaky. It sounds like they're trying to get people on some kind of drug. Perhaps a super drug? One that makes you feel all big and stuff.

It's a genius idea, but I don't know whether to applaud that or lambast it...

I think the problem is if they don't want to sign up to My Nintendo but have to in order to play the game they're likely to be turned away from My Nintendo rather than think "well I'm here now, let's see what this is all about".

€9.99 is quite pricy!

The world map builder looks great though, never realised I wanted to do that til I saw it :D

I genuinely expected this to be 99p. I mean, it's obviously worth a lot more, and I'm happy to pay €10 but I think it would make Nintendo a lot more money at a cheap as chips impulse buy price. It's the same with there being no IAP, it's obviously admirable of Nintendo not to include any and I'm happy with that myself, but if their goal is to make money, that's another missed opportunity.

I thought it was clear their goal was brand recognition and conversion?

£8 for U.K.

Laughable price for a mobile game!

Well, its not that much higher than various similar games before it. Some Square Enix games came out at £4, Final Fantasy games have been £5-10. This is not your average Star Wars Angry Birds or whatever, its got the full Nintendo polish. Also those games are plagued by time gates, ads and IAPs which this won't be. You hear about people dropping hundreds on Candy Crush or whatever.

Edited by Shorty

£8 for U.K.

Laughable price for a mobile game!

Laughable? Why? There are some very deep mobile games. How much would you say it's worth? Based on a couple of quick trailers that is.

Well there's a lot of games of seeming equal or greater depth with IAP and it's psychologically easier to justify 79p at a time than £7.99 so it will in part come down to how they advertise that and whether the free trial will encourage a bite.

As I said earlier though, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is using this as market research rather than something to really help their bottom line. Probably could look at their forecast for this year to get a sense as that's broken down by area... But about to go underground.

Surprised by the price, really thought sub £5(probs £3-4) mark would have been about the right way to go. Does it affect anyone's decision to buy it? I might have picked it up at under a fiver though I'm Android anyway so would be waiting a while and might lost interest by then, but £8s a bit too much for me really. I'd be more inclined to pop down to CEX and see what I might pick up for that price than this tbh.

Definitely in part with Ashley on this being somewhat experimental for them though - I'm hoping it is and they do take something from it; rather than just launching a blind product and hoping for the best.

Surprised by the price, really thought sub £5(probs £3-4) mark would have been about the right way to go. Does it affect anyone's decision to buy it? I might have picked it up at under a fiver though I'm Android anyway so would be waiting a while and might lost interest by then, but £8s a bit too much for me really. I'd be more inclined to pop down to CEX and see what I might pick up for that price than this tbh.

Definitely in part with Ashley on this being somewhat experimental for them though - I'm hoping it is and they do take something from it; rather than just launching a blind product and hoping for the best.

It affects my decision to buy it.

£4.99 or under and I would almost certainly have bought it immediately. Above the £5 point though makes me stop and think which will probably mean I won't buy it.

£8 isn't much but the market and its race to the bottom makes it seem expensive.

It's the wild wild West.

I didn't expect it to be dirt cheap, but £7.99 could definitely harm it's impulse buy appeal. Its definitely making me think twice about buying it straight away, I don't have an iPhone or iPad myself but my parents do so I was considering getting it on one of their devices and then buying it on Android when it becomes available, but now I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend £16 to buy it twice, i'll definitely get it at some point though.

I don't think it's too bad a price. Depends how much longevity it has really.

Would've definitely preferred £4.99 though.

And it's a tricky decision for me whether to get it on my iPad or wait until it comes to Android.