Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Could Pokémon work on a home console?

Retro_Link

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know right. There are those that can't even fathom a Pokémon adventure on the home console.

Give me a reason how it'd improve a Pokémon game other than "look pretty graphics" that can justify the removal of the portable aspect, and then I can fathom it.

Edited by Ashley

I'd lap up a home console Pokemon. Won't bother with the portable ones though.

And why about Pokémon? Home console can add nothing that can't be done on portable, while lacks the portable aspect.

Edited by Ashley

And why about Pokémon? Home console can add nothing that can't be done on portable, while lacks the portable aspect.

It could add voice chat!

Oh wait...

what's a silly joke is it existed on one of the DS games

But really, this is the Star Fox thread. If you want to have that conversation again have it elsewhere please.

Give me a reason how it'd improve a Pokémon game other than "look pretty graphics" that can justify the removal of the portable aspect, and then I can fathom it.
It would bring the game to a whole new audience - the home console audience.

It also has the potential to be the best example of home console online Nintendo has ever done, with players meeting up for tournaments in the stadium in the 'online city'. Other players would also be able to go to this arena/'take a seat' to spectate on matches being played.

For once a Pokémon game could be made to look gorgeous and cinematic. If it had been done of the Wii U, the Gamepad could have been used to look around in first person to photograph Pokémon, and to locate and scan them in them in the environment.

I've never used the portable aspect. Well, maybe a couple of times as a kid. Hate small-screen gaming these days anyway.

A big open-world Pokemon would be great, I'm sure many others agree. Any pluses to the portable aspect could be solved with the Internet and, dare I say it, voice chat.

For once a Pokémon game could be made to look gorgeous and cinematic. If it had been done of the Wii U, the Gamepad could have been used to look around in first person to photograph Pokémon, and to locate and scan them in them in the environment.

You're asking a lot from Game Freak there. Guys can't even get a 3DS game running smoothly.

It would bring the game to a whole new audience - the home console audience.

It also has the potential to be the best example of home console online Nintendo has ever done, with players meeting up for tournaments in the stadium in the 'online city'. Other players would also be able to go to this arena/'take a seat' to spectate on matches being played.

Only the "audience" can only be attributed to home consoles. Everything else can easily be done on a portable and graphics are not a valid reason to remove one of the core aspects of Pokémon.

Edited by Ashley

More power on home console = more possibilities to improve the world (i.e. make it larger, more dynamic, more quests, have Pokemon run around in the wild, etc.)

Removing the randomised encounter rates of Pokémon would drastically change the entire way the game works.

Plus, 3DS can do that anyway.

Only the "audience" can only be attributed to home consoles. Everything else can easily be done on a portable and graphics are not a valid reason to remove one of the core aspects of Pokémon.
I don't believe the 3DS has the power to create that kind of open 3D world - that you would be able to look around in First Person - that I'm talking about. To create a beautifully crafted RPG story experience.

I also doubt whether it has the capabilities to stream Pokémon Stadium-esque online matches for you to spectate on live. Perhaps even interact with in real-time. i.e. If the audience shows more support for one side of the battle that combatant is rewarded in some way.

Besides even if it could do everything and more, every single aspect of the game would be compromised over what could be produced on a home console version.

Edited by Ashley

@Hero\-of\-Time That's where Level 5 come in ;)

I don't believe the 3DS has the power to create that kind of open 3D world - that you would be able to look around in First Person - that I'm talking about. To create a beautifully crafted RPG story experience.

I also doubt whether it has the capabilities to stream Pokémon Stadium-esque online matches for you to spectate on live. Perhaps even interact with in real-time. i.e. If the audience shows more support for one side of the battle that combatant is rewarded in some way.

Besides even if it could do everything and more, every single aspect of the game would be compromised over what could be produced on a home console version.

Doesn't Smash Bros. do just that?

And the 3DS does have the ability to do that. It wouldn't be HD, no, but look at Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy Explorers etc., all open world with creatures around.

Those sort of things though, they still don't offset the massive loss that would happen from removal of the portable aspect. You severely underestimate how important that is to Pokémon.

Edited by Ashley

Removing the randomised encounter rates of Pokémon would drastically change the entire way the game works.

Plus, 3DS can do that anyway.

Why would you need to remove the randomisation? have the pokemon in an area randomly generated.... tbh Serebii I would say by your reasoning pokemon should never have moved off the original gameboy... what improvements, besides additional horsepower, have the gba/ds/3ds variants brought to the games?

I do think having a home console pokemon mmorpg would be awesome.

Why would you need to remove the randomisation? have the pokemon in an area randomly generated....

Was about to post the same.

There's no point discussing this. He dismissed all my other points and focussed on one, trying to shoot me down.

Those sort of things though, they still don't offset the massive loss that would happen from removal of the portable aspect. You severely underestimate how important that is to Pokémon.
Online would compensate.

It would be a different Pokémon experience.

I think you're severely overestimating the number of people who buy a Pokémon game purely for the fact it's portable. People buy it now because it's the only option.

Didn't that new home console Digimon game prove there's an audience?... and that game was nothing compared to what a Pokémon game could be. It was extremely basic in it's options and presentation and yet people were all over it.

Anyway. It's not up to me or anyone else here to convince you why it would work. We all have our own valid reasons. It's up to The Pokémon Company, Nintendo and any other company they may partner with to do that... in much the same way Nintendo are trying to do with StarFox.

Why would you need to remove the randomisation? have the pokemon in an area randomly generated.... tbh Serebii I would say by your reasoning pokemon should never have moved off the original gameboy... what improvements, besides additional horsepower, have the gba/ds/3ds variants brought to the games?

I do think having a home console pokemon mmorpg would be awesome.

That would require exiting and re-entering the area in order for Pokémon to appear. It's absurd for the main series games.

Pokémon games have been improved with power, yeah, while keeping the fundamental aspects true. The battle engine has improved, it gained online features (an amazing online featureset in Gen VI I might add) and so forth.

Removing portability kills a large part of what makes Pokémon Pokémon.

Online would compensate.

It would be a different Pokémon experience.

I think you're severely overestimating the number of people who buy a Pokémon game purely for the fact it's portable. People buy it now because it's the only option.

Didn't that new home console Digimon game prove there's an audience?... and that game was nothing compared to what a Pokémon game could be. It was extremely basic in it's options and presentation and yet people were all over it.

Anyway. It's not up to me or anyone else here to convince you why it would work. We all have our own valid reasons. It's up to The Pokémon Company, Nintendo and any other company they may partner with to do that... in much the same way Nintendo are trying to do with StarFox.

Online exists already on the portable. It wouldn't compensate at all because it is a feature that currently exists.

Was about to post the same.

There's no point discussing this. He dismissed all my other points and focussed on one, trying to shoot me down.

I dismissed all the other points because they're just buzzwords, not points. Dynamic in what way? Quests can be done on the 3DS, as can being "larger". Also note, larger != better.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I've never known anyone to be so narrow-minded and obtuse to something than @Serebii in this matter.

Of course Pokemon can work on home console. Just because it's then not portable it doesn't mean it's not Pokemon. People happily play Pokemon at home on their portables.

Edited by Kav

I've never known anyone to be so narrow-minded and obtuse to something than @Serebii in this matter.

I'm not being narrow minded. Everything that people propose that would make a home console game great is doable on a portable device without the loss of the portable aspect.

That would require exiting and re-entering the area in order for Pokémon to appear. It's absurd for the main series games.

Like when you go into a battle?

Or hell, they could fly off, others could pop up from behind grass, out of trees etc.

If you're walking through a field do you insist the animals stay in one place until you've moved out of the area? No, life goes on. You (the avatar, not you personally Serebii) are not the master of the universe but in Nintendo's games you normally are and that's the problem - the world literally revolves around you when you should be part of it.

(that may not make much sense, on my way out)

Serebii, it's not 1998 anymore. Home console online gaming is a thing. The Pokemon games don't NEED portability, especially if you tailor the game to suit the home console platform. There's enormous potential in a console openworld/MMO style Pokemon game. It's not happened because the same portable game rehashed over and over sell insane amounts, so why bother.

Of course Pokemon can work on home console. Just because it's then not portable it doesn't mean it's not Pokemon. People happily play Pokemon at home on their portables.

Yeah. He's normally off on one about how Nintendo diversify gaming, etc. But nope. Pokemon should remain exactly the same forever. (Unless it's a spin off of course).

By home console gaming I assume we're on about the much wanted open world MMORPG we all want on Unreal Engine 4? In which case, I'm totally in.

Something like this seems even more likely given that Bank is going to be multigenerational (albeit in normally one direction) and serve the franchise on a number of platforms, as hinted during several interviews and press releases about Bank.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!