NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Miitomo

Are we really the target audience for Miitomo? I've a feeling they won't actually give this a Direct or any further hype; they'll get it into the Play Store and App Store and build momentum with (maybe) some advertising but mainly rely on word of mouth? That seems to be the secret sauce on these platforms, right?

I think there's lots of promise in this, I'm hoping it can become a sort of social hub for them, seeing Wii U/3DS online status, recent posts, arranging gaming sessions, etc. If their aim for their mobile efforts are to drive sales of consoles, i'd expect links to my Mario Kart and Smash Bros videos too, etc. There has to be more to this than questions and asnwers with some microtransaction costumes.

Are we really the target audience for Miitomo? I've a feeling they won't actually give this a Direct or any further hype; they'll get it into the Play Store and App Store and build momentum with (maybe) some advertising but mainly rely on word of mouth? That seems to be the secret sauce on these platforms, right?

I think there's lots of promise in this, I'm hoping it can become a sort of social hub for them, seeing Wii U/3DS online status, recent posts, arranging gaming sessions, etc. If their aim for their mobile efforts are to drive sales of consoles, i'd expect links to my Mario Kart and Smash Bros videos too, etc. There has to be more to this than questions and asnwers with some microtransaction costumes.

Nope.

Gamers like us are not the audience for mobile gaming in general. It's unlikely that much, if anything, they do on mobile will please us.

Nope.

Gamers like us are not the audience for mobile gaming in general. It's unlikely that much, if anything, they do on mobile will please us.

Nope.

Plenty of gamers enjoy mobile games as well and play both (the popularity of Squenix's 'Go' series prove that).

Mobile also brings in a difference audience, sure, but there's definitely an overlap on the Venn diagram that is console and mobile gamers.

Nope.

Plenty of gamers enjoy mobile games as well and play both (the popularity of Squenix's 'Go' series prove that).

Mobile also brings in a difference audience, sure, but there's definitely an overlap on the Venn diagram that is console and mobile gamers.

Overlap, sure, but in general no. I said in general, I didn't say all.

And please explain how you are using those words because "in general" is such a woolly term it's not something you can base an argument on. What are we talking? 60% of console gamers don't? A console gamer only plays a mobile game once a month? Companies consider console gamers a target audience 1 in every 7 games?

You can't use woolly phrasing to make a point and expect no questioning.

And it's certainly not helped by your previous disparaging and contentious remarks towards the mobile industry in the past, but even ignoring that your previous statement holds little ground at present.

To be fair to Serebii I recall Nintendo stating that their mobile efforts will be used to drive sales of their dedicated hardware and games and that would imply that mobile is not designed for current fans - why on earth would they tempt their current fanbase from their main dedicated console business?! Sure, it'll appeal to current fans and doubtless Nintendo is aware of this but it's not designed for them. And I think Miitomo probably proves that.

Mhm I remember them saying that too, but what Serebii said was "Gamers like us are not the audience for mobile gaming in general" not specifically Miitomo/Nintendo's mobile offerings.

And why would they want their current fans on mobile*? Easy, it's all about the Benjamins.

*I don't see why they'd be "tempting them away" from their consoles. Why can't they be both?

Hmmm, it's interesting.

Very Japanese in the construction of the game and first time play experience. But after that I'm actually quite impressed with how it's set up and some of the stuff you can do.

It's definitely more social network than game, clearly intended to bring people into Nintendo's online network for future games/systems.

CduexDEUIAAGqIO.jpg:large

Here's some stuff from the people using the app over on Gaf.

WARNING: The guy in the video sounds like a muppet and is stupidly cringe worthy.

miitomo57uwo.png

Add friends by Facebook, Twitter, Face to Face

You can earn Miitomo platinum points for My Nintendo through the daily missions (in addition for the regular platinum points gained elsewhere), and these points can be redeemed for digital goods like Twilight Princess Picross, WarioWare Touched, Mario 3DS theme, various discount coupons for eShop titles that's on My Nintendo.

This means that you will be harassing your friends and your friends will be harassing you to log in every day in order to complete the daily missions:

+10 points: receive 5 hearts on your answers

+10 points: receive 5 comments on your answers

+5 points: listen to 10 answers from your friends

The missions you can do on your own:

+5 points: change your outfit

+5 points: answer 3 questions

Bit gutted that you can't seem to add people via their NNID. I don't touch Twitter or Facebook and was hoping to add people on here. What little interest I had in the thing has taken a massive dive if this is true.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Wish it more tamadtochi life than it is, bizarre situations and such with your friends would be great to share...

And there's always something baffling with nintned isn't there :) You can't add people via their username or even if you're friends with them on 3DS/Wii U?!?! has to be a social network? Bonkers. And limiting. They're really hell bent on pushing people away!! Good luck getting 100m downloads on this!!

For people who don't have one, or don't want to link, you could set up one just for this and put no details on it!

Wish it more tamadtochi life than it is, bizarre situations and such with your friends would be great to share...

And there's always something baffling with nintned isn't there :) You can't add people via their username or even if you're friends with them on 3DS/Wii U?!?! has to be a social network? Bonkers. And limiting. They're really hell bent on pushing people away!! Good luck getting 100m downloads on this!!

For people who don't have one, or don't want to link, you could set up one just for this and put no details on it!

They're not forcing people to have a Nintendo Account for this. That's the thing. More people have social media than Nintendo Accounts so how is it pushing away?

They're not forcing people to have a Nintendo Account for this. That's the thing. More people have social media than Nintendo Accounts so how is it pushing away?

While that is true, why are they not accepting their own login credentials and then saying "hey, you can connect to x,y,z to benefit from a,b,c"?

It's pushing away people like HOT that may not use social media.

I never said they HAD to have a nintendo account, I'm saying it's mental you can't use that instead of social networks. Some people don't have social networks. No username search, no NNID is so so mental... I guess the "new" nintendo still have the stupid!

[VIMEO][/VIMEO]It does seem a bit stupid when you consider that you can actually use a NNID to actually create a My Nintendo account and that it is actually used for Nintendo's own social network (Miiverse); yet you can't use it for Miitomo.

They're probably afraid of people making friends on Miiverse and then giving out personal details via Miitomo (which wouldn't be monitored by moderators like Miiverse is) though I suppose. I would imagine that the last thing they want is another Flipnote 3D/Nintendo Letter Box situation...

Facebook & Twitter though? Not Nintendo's problem.

Edited by Dcubed

1.2 billion people have a Facebook account. I think they'll be fine.

But hey, don't let me get in the way of yet more negativity and chat about how shit Nintendo are.

Nobody is saying Nintendo is shit, they're saying they think this was a bad decision*. Bad decision != shit company. All companies make bad decisions.

Hopefully as this is expanded out they'll realise there is an interest in this and improve it like they have done with stuff like the Wii U quick launch, Miiverse improvements etc.

*in the poster's opinion

1.2 billion people have a Facebook account. I think they'll be fine.

But hey, don't let me get in the way of yet more negativity and chat about how shit Nintendo are.

Let's see then shall we.

Like Ashley said, it's not about them being shit, but do you really not think the decision to have no username search, or linking to your friends on 3DS or Wii U, and like DCubed said, miitomo is heavily linked to your mynintendo, which you can use NNID to sign up to it... It all feels so off.

I guess ultimately it feels like nintendo is STILL scared of the big bad internet so they don't want randoms communicating with each other in any way (though all connections still need to be agreed by both sides ), the big worry being what this says for communication on the NX...

Also just a bit annoying that in a way THIS place is my gaming community, my nintendo community, not my Facebook/twitter friends, now to play miitomo with all you we've got to add each other on one of the social networks... Just unnecessary.

I guess ultimately it feels like nintendo is STILL scared of the big bad internet so they don't want randoms communicating with each other in any way

Is that really surprising? They value their image as a family company and aren't about to do anything that may threaten that. Jumping into social media on mobile phones is a big enough step as is for them.

I guess ultimately it feels like nintendo is STILL scared of the big bad internet so they don't want randoms communicating with each other in any way (though all connections still need to be agreed by both sides ), the big worry being what this says for communication on the NX...

I think you are ready way too much into it.

Nobody is saying Nintendo is shit, they're saying they think this was a bad decision*. Bad decision != shit company. All companies make bad decisions.

Hopefully as this is expanded out they'll realise there is an interest in this and improve it like they have done with stuff like the Wii U quick launch, Miiverse improvements etc.

*in the poster's opinion

Typical...he doesn't even respond to your reply. You should know better than to go for the bait ;)

Typical...he doesn't even respond to your reply. You should know better than to go for the bait ;)

A mod should just attached this as his signature.

srTYyZ1BjBtGU.gif

Having this point to everything he posts would save a hell of a lot of time. :D

I think you are ready way too much into it.

Hope so. I was ne of the ocnifdent ones that Nintendo will really learn from the mistakes of the Wii U and have a greater understanding what the wider gaming community wants. Stuff like this dents that confidence a little.

Is that really surprising? They value their image as a family company and aren't about to do anything that may threaten that. Jumping into social media on mobile phones is a big enough step as is for them.

It's surprising in that they are clearly wrong and refuse to learn, they said the same thing about friend codes, now they have proper use names and oh look, no kids being raped; how awful is the situation on PS4 and XB1? Not very. Or even, you know, Instagram Facebook and Twitter?! It's so misguided, and what many, myself included, feel is a huge factor in the lack of success and image they no face.

Hope so. I was ne of the ocnifdent ones that Nintendo will really learn from the mistakes of the Wii U and have a greater understanding what the wider gaming community wants. Stuff like this dents that confidence a little.

It's surprising in that they are clearly wrong and refuse to learn, they said the same thing about friend codes, now they have proper use names and oh look, no kids being raped; how awful is the situation on PS4 and XB1? Not very. Or even, you know, Instagram Facebook and Twitter?! It's so misguided, and what many, myself included, feel is a huge factor in the lack of success and image they no face.

Actually... That did happen with Flipnote 3D and Nintendo Letter Box... That's why they were removed and had their online features stripped from them.