NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Mario & Friends amiibo Challenge

Just revealed here. A new version of Mario VS Donkey Kong. Free. January 28th in Japan

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ap5j/index.html

Yoshi, Toad, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Rosalina have their own unique sprites and even unique moves. All other amiibo appear as just a block https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ap5j/chara/index.html

Edited by Serebii

And NST continue to work on commercial experiments :p

Crazy to think that there are now 7 Mario VS DK games! (6 if we don't count Mario & DK)

Still, can't really argue with free when it's not riddled with microtransactions :)

And NST continue to work on commercial experiments :p

Yup.

I guess this was that RUMOUR that cropped up last year.

Still not the amiibo game i'm wanting but I suppose its free...

I love me some Mario vs Donkey Kong. And I also love more games to use my amiibo in! Really hyped about this!

Also, Mini Bowser Jr. is too adorable.

So basically, here's the rundown.

This game is free. In Japan, you'll get a code for the game (both versions) when you buy an amiibo (at participating retailers. It'll be added on the eShop alone at a later point.

Gameplay is the same as previous Mario VS Donkey Kong games. You have to make paths for the minis to get to the end.

Scanning an amiibo will unlock that particular mini. Each mini has got special abilities:

Mini Mario - Wall Jump

chara_01.pngca01.png

Mini Luigi - Jump (Jumps higher than other Minis)

chara_02.pngca02.png

Mini Peach - Hover

chara_03.pngca03.png

Mini Toad- Crouching

chara_04.pngca04.png

Mini Donkey Kong - Climbing steep slopes

chara_05.pngca05.png

Mini Diddy Kong - Wall Clinging

chara_06.pngca06.png

Mini Bowser - Block Smashing

chara_07.pngca07.png

Mini Bowser Jr. - Walks on spikes

chara_08.pngca08.png

Mini Yoshi - Can eat enemies

chara_09.pngca09.png

Mini Rosalina - Super Jump

chara_10.pngca10.png

All other amiibo = Mini Spec

others_toy.png

There are over 60 levels in the game. There are levels all minis can play but also some only others can get through such as a Rosalina level. These are unlocked by getting a hidden exit with that Mini as seen on this world map

set3_img.jpg

Okay. That's great. A brilliant use of amiibo for me. More stuff like this please!

I'm getting a ridiculous amount of enjoyment out of the GBA version of Mario vs Donkey Kong right now (the only one I've played in the series) so this looks pretty fun :grin:

For some reason, it makes me think we'll see a 'free' Nintendo Land sequel at some point where you can either pay to enter attractions or buy an amiibo to unlock it permanently. Not entirely sure how I feel about those sorts of payment structures, though :heh:

I've never played this series, I've always liked the look of it but missed it for whatever reason so I'll check this out for sure and... LOOK AT DIDDY OMG, he's never looked so cute.

chara_01.pngchara_02.pngchara_03.pngchara_04.png

chara_05.pngchara_06.pngchara_07.pngchara_08.png

chara_09.pngchara_10.png

So damn cute! :love:

I'm surprised they didn't make a new wave of amiibo based on this look. :hehe:

Also quite glad they didn't though, as those would've been really hard to resist. :grin:

So damn cute! :love:

I'm surprised they didn't make a new wave of amiibo based on this look. :hehe:

Also quite glad they didn't though, as those would've been really hard to resist. :grin:

They were making them, but then an ape came and stole all the stock.

I would be all over them in amiibo form, their hands also make me yearn for Nintendo LEGO.

So to unlock all the content I have to buy ten Amiibo's which will probably cost a tenner each. It's nice the game is free though, otherwise I would've thought I was being ripped the fuck off.

So to unlock all the content I have to buy ten Amiibo's which will probably cost a tenner each. It's nice the game is free though, otherwise I would've thought I was being ripped the fuck off.

I think the intention is to give more incentive for people to buy amiibo whilst also rewarding those that already have them. There's already an eShop Mario Vs Donkey Kong you can buy outright if you can't be bothered with all this amiibo stuff.

There's already an eShop Mario Vs Donkey Kong you can buy outright if you can't be bothered with all this amiibo stuff.

The same game? How much?

I think the intention is to give more incentive for people to buy amiibo whilst also rewarding those that already have them.

Unless the game costs more than ten Amiibo, you're not really rewarding anything.

This game was created as a bonus for those who buy amiibo. It's not intended as a standalone product.

Jeez, Nintendo can't win with amiibo...

This game was created as a bonus for those who buy amiibo. It's not intended as a standalone product.

Jeez, Nintendo can't win with amiibo...

So it's not the same game Josh mentioned which you can pay to avoid the excess charge?

Could it be compared to Pokémon Picross, where instead of buying Amiibo's you buy Picrites, where a full purchase can avoid the investment of both? [serious question homie]

So it's not the same game Josh mentioned which you can pay to avoid the excess charge?

Could it be compared to Pokémon Picross, where instead of buying Amiibo's you buy Picrites, where a full purchase can avoid the investment of both? [serious question homie]

No. You need amiibo for this game.

But you don't need all of the amiibo. Just buy one and afaik you can play most of the levels, just not the ones made for specific characters.

Is this a one scan game, or do they need to be scanned to use that character? sorry if it's been mentioned and I missed it!

But you don't need all of the amiibo. Just buy one and afaik you can play most of the levels, just not the ones made for specific characters.

Is this a one scan game, or do they need to be scanned to use that character? sorry if it's been mentioned and I missed it!

Not sure yet. I think it may be one scan per character then you can select them. Won't know until the 28th

Eh, I've got a Bowser Amiibo, might as well use it for something other than free swag on Hyrule Warriors Legends.

I'll give this a spin, got plenty of amiibo to play with at this point.

It's up on the eShop! Time to download Adorable Mini Bowser Jr. Simulator 2016! :D

EDIT:

The title screen is AMAZINGly cute.

Edited by FireMeowth

EDIT:

The title screen is AMAZINGly cute.

He's not lying, I was just about to post about it.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Enjoying this a lot. By giving each character their own theme, it really has changed things compared to other Mini Mario games. While it's nowhere near as hard, it sure is fun

We get crazy mechanics in this game

WVW69jJ53IEcKkMGI4WVW69jJ6dyYPpOl2ku

I just unlocked Star World and have done stages for everyone except Peach and Rosalina (since I don't have them).

Great use of amiibo in my view. Not worth buying amiibo for, but if you have the amiibo it's definitely a fun little title.

Sign in to follow this