NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Mario & Friends amiibo Challenge

Absolutely loving this. I started with Rosalina and its sods law that all her exclusive levels are at the end. :D

Just finished the main levels and have started her stages now. Dat Galaxy music. :heart: Her unique mechanic is awesome. It's like those grab/pull stars from the Galaxy games!

Had a quick go on the 3DS version earlier, really cute game. :love:

And yeah, that title screen is rad. :hehe:

Are both Wii U and 3DS versions identical in terms of content?

Had a quick go on the 3DS version earlier, really cute game. :love:

And yeah, that title screen is rad. :hehe:

Are both Wii U and 3DS versions identical in terms of content?

Pretty much. Some minor differences in a few stages, but mostly the same

I've got a holiday from work today to go see Civil War, so i've been playing this all morning. After a total of nearly 8 hours play time it is over.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Brilliant game that had me constantly smiling. Playing through the main 12 levels that don't require special amiibo is fun enough, but once you start digging into the unique stages, that's when the fun happens.

The normal levels play very much like a normal Mario Vs DK game, with moving belts, girders to place and enemies to avoid. The amiibo specific levels all have something unique going on. For example, in the Luigi stages you have to move candles around to light up pathways and scare boos away. Peach has balloons on her stages that allow her to float around the levels. Diddy Kong has minecarts to ride around in. They all offer something new.

The characters themselves each have special abilities as well. Donkey Kong can run up slopes, Mario can wall jump, Bowser Jr. can walk on spikes. Each of these add a new dimension to how you play the game.

The music is also worth a mention. Each of a the special worlds has a classic Nintendo tune. Whether it's Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island playing, they all had me bopping away to them.

To see the whole game you have to get all the collectibles. The final world opens up after beating the first 12 stages but the levels within it require you to collect all of the amiibo cards that are scattered around the levels. Miss one and you won't get to see what the final world has to offer.

The final world is a fantastic set of stages. The game throws everything you have learnt from each of the character specific levels and then puts them all together. You have to place platforms, hit belts to change the direction, grab Mario Galaxy pulling stars and grab the coins, all the while trying to get a good enough time to nab that gold trophy.

It's a shame that many will not likely see what the full game has to offer due to the price of entry. It's not worth spending £100 on amiibo for this, despite getting a solid 8 hours out of it, but for those of us who are collecting all the figurines this is a fantastic piece of software. Hopefully Nintendo will do something more like this for us collectors. An amiibo specific game is something a lot of us have been crying out for and this is a nice taster.

I will say that if you want to see some of the more interesting stages I would certainly pick up Rosalina, Luigi and Bowser Jr. While all of the levels are amazing, I feel these ones were the best.

In a week where Nintendo have given us bad news, this was a ray of sunshine that reminded me that they still know how to surprise and please me when it comes to their games. : peace: :bowdown:

I'm not a big fan of the newer Mario VS DK games (never bothered with anything past MvsDK2 - which hugely disappointed me with its change in direction), but this isn't bad actually!

Having the two screens showing zoomed in and zoomed out views makes a big difference. It doesn't feel so convoluted and difficult to navigate like the previous games did. The Amiibos each having their own abilities is nice as well, giving the gameplay a bit of variety (also opening up stages to being tackled in different ways) and preventing it from getting stale so quickly, though it does suffer from some hilarious DK64 syndrome (seeing two Amiibo cards for different characters and an Amiibo specific door for someone completely different in the same stage is always funny and really annoying).

It's a nice little freebie that actually tackles some of the issues I have with the post MvsDK1 games quite nicely :). Music is not bad either, they're almost all remixes, but they're good ones and they've picked some good tunes as well (picking the SMB2 music for Mario made me smile anyway).

Visuals are nice too. Impressively polished, considering that it's a Nintendo Web Framework game in HTML5 on Wii U (3DS one is a native C++ port and predictably runs just fine - do wonder how the New3DS would handle a Nintendo Web Framework game in pure HTML5 though...).

Are there any free games without the amiibo?

Nope, you need at least one Amiibo to play. The Mario series (+ DK/Diddy Kong/Bowser Jr/Rosalina ones) let you play as specific characters, while any non-Mario one let's you play as a generic robot with no special abilities.

Nope, you need at least one Amiibo to play. The Mario series (+ DK/Diddy Kong/Bowser Jr/Rosalina ones) let you play as specific characters, while any non-Mario one let's you play as a generic robot with no special abilities.

OK, so I can delete it again :D. Thx anyway :).

Do you have to scan the amiibo every time you want to play character specific levels?

No.

You scan an amiibo each time you wish to use that specific amiibo. To get the specific character levels, you have to complete one of the standard levels and get to the secret exit with that character

Sign in to follow this