NEurope
nekunando

Your 2016 Gaming Diary

Nah, The Witcher 3 isn't on the my list for the month. I do wonder if I will ever get around to playing that game. :D

Some day in the future you'll just feel inspired to play it (Though I don't imagine I ever will :heh:)

I'm still in the midst of a serious gaming lull and have been for nearly 3 weeks :shakehead I may have cleared Gekido one day but there was no way that was going to rescue me from the misery of my Unirally experience :nono:

I'm back playing a game that I had basically binned from my collection but a slot opened up on my Gamecube shelf recently after a little rearranging. From the selection of a few games stashed away at the bottom of my wardrobe, I decided Prince of Persia: Warrior Within was best placed to plug the gap and I decided it was time to try to get back into it last week :smile:

I loved The Sands of Time and had a pretty decent time with Rival Swords on Wii too but I never managed to make it through Warrior Within. The tone of the game just wasn't as appealing and the useless map screen meant I found myself lost all those years ago amid the backtracking and switching between past and present. Hopefully I'm on top of it this time, though :grin:

While the combat is far from compelling, the platforming is still pretty enjoyable and I'm glad I'm giving it another go after all this time. I started a new save file as I hadn't a clue what routes to take on my old save file.. but then it was 2007 since I last saved :heh:

I'll have a gander at said list when I get home and decide what i'll play next.
Is this on this list?:

D3H02aD.jpg

It should be. ;)

Nadda.

I've had that for ages and still have no desire to play it. :D

Unfortunate. It's such an awesome game.

Fast and fun gameplay, packed with humour and old-school VG references, and a relatively quick/easy Platinum trophy for your collection. ;)

Anyway, I'm gonna stop pestering you about it now. :)

Beat Gravity Rush Remastered yesterday.

Overall I enjoyed it, and I really loved the main character's personality and humour of the game, especially in the early stages. :grin:

But there were a few annoying chapters here and there, and some weird audio issues too, like when performing finishing moves and the volume decides to go insanely loud! :woops:

But yeah, good stuff for the 10 quid that I paid for it. Reckon I'm up for the sequel too. :)

Great review by Zero Punctuation:

:laughing:

Beat:

in January:____________

Yakuza 5 (PS3) started in 2015

Little Battlers eXperience (3DS) started in 2015

Hardware: Rivals (PS4+) IDbttgi.gif

in February:____________

Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Rocket League (PS4+) beat in 2015 IDbttgi.gif

Radio Hammer (3DS)

Horizon Chase (iOS)

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3+)

in March:____________

Transformers: Devastation (PS4)

Super Stardust HD (PS3+)

Binary Domain (PS3)

Super Mario Maker (Wii U) replay

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (PS4) replay IDbttgi.gif

Miitomo (iOS)

in April:____________

Shutshimi: Seriously Swole (PS4+)

Broforce (PS4+)

Grow Home (PS4+) 100%

Bloodborne (PS4)

PKTBALL (iOS)

in May:____________

Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge (3DS/Wii U)

Trackmania Turbo (PS4)

Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)

Uncharted: Fortune Hunter (iOS)

Uncharted 4 (PS4)

in June:____________

Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)

in July:____________

Street Fighter V (PS4)

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (PS4+)

Monster Hunter Generations (3DS)

in August:____________

ABZÛ (PS4)

MHbUwnT.gifGravity Rush Remastered (PS4)

Total: 30

Yet to start or unfinished:

The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD (Wii U) replay

MHbUwnT.gifUltratron (PS4+)

Dropped or on hold:

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) started in 2015

Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)

Zombi (PS4+) replay

Table Top Racing: World Tour (PS4+)

I finished Adventures of Mana (Vita) last night. Having never played Final Fantasy Adventure I had no real nostalgic connection to this game, so I took the game as is.

S-E done a great job of updating the visuals from the original Gameboy game and the music is also top notch. The game falls flat when it comes to a lot of other stuff, though.

Your inventory space is limited to only 16 items. This becomes a pain in the butt very early on in the game. Most of the enemies drop items for you to collect and you have to try and manage which ones you want to keep or discard. Kinda reminds me of Earthbound, which also annoyed me for the same reason.

You also have to switch weapons quite a bit. This isn't a problem early on but later in the game it becomes a real hassle. Some enemies will block certain attacks if using a certain weapon. You then have to open the menu, scroll to find your weapon of choice, equip it and then exit the menu. If any game needed a second screen, this was it. :D

In terms of trophies, why is it that developers put in trophies that are missable in RPGs? It's annoying as hell! These games already last a long time without making players go through them multiple times. Luckily I nabbed all the items/armour/weapons needed but I was at on edge in case I missed some.

RPGs also tend to have trophies that require you to max your character or stats and this is no exception. I beat the game at level 50 and now have to grind my way to level 99. I'm nearly there and will probably knock out the rest of the levels needed during my lunch break, leaving me ready for my next game when I get home.

So I see you're playing Guacamelee! @Hero\-of\-Time. icon14.gif

Really hope you're enjoying it, gonna feel a bit guilty otherwise. :hehe:

Noticed you're not playing Super Turbo Championship Edition though. :blank: Was the original on PS+ at some point too then, or did you buy it?

So I see you're playing Guacamelee! @Hero\-of\-Time. icon14.gif

Really hope you're enjoying it, gonna feel a bit guilty otherwise. :hehe:

Noticed you're not playing Super Turbo Championship Edition though. :blank: Was the original on PS+ at some point too then, or did you buy it?

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. I'm nearly at the final boss but I'm heading back to previous areas to mop up the collectibles.

Yeah, the PS3/Vita version was on PS+ ages ago. I decided to go with this version purely for being able to play it on the Vita.

Finished and platinumed Guacamelee(Vita) this afternoon. Brilliant game!

There's some amazing platforming sections in the game that really test your skills. The Tree Top section of the game is one you don't really need to go to but if going for 100% then this hard as nails section needs to be conquered. A great deal of satisfaction was had once I reached the top of that area.

The humor in the game was totally my cup of tea, especially the pervery goat man who is obsessed with your mum. :D All the little game and movie references were fantastic. The line from Star Wars really cracked me up. :)

It's funny how I'm not a fan of most of the Metroid games, yet stuff like this, DUST, Shadow Complex and Shantae, I really enjoy. I guess it's because they give you a decent map and kinda show you where things are, whereas the early Metroid games had none of this and the Prime game maps I found confusing as hell.

This is easily my GOTM and, like Severed that I played earlier in the year, Drinkbox have provided me with an amazing game to play. I'm half tempted to download and start the PS4 special version tonight or tomorrow...

There's some amazing platforming sections in the game that really test your skills.

Indeed. I've said it once and I'll say it again (inbefore the "how dare you"-comments I got last time :p): I think the platforming in Guacamelee puts every 2D Mario to shame. There is so much skill involved and the abilites you get later in the game turn some of the sections into platforming puzzles.

Oh man, I think I need to play this again in the near future :D Didn't get the Platinum when I finished it years ago. Maybe when I'm done with Plague Inc. Evolved I'll download Guacamelee on my Vita :)

I've been making slow progress on a couple of games on my backlog because of the Olympics, but I've just completed Luigi's Mansion 2. I got the game soon after it came out but could never get into it, I love the original though so I thought it deserved a second chance. For the most part it's a really fun and charming game, all the classic Nintendo hallmarks but Professor E Gadd and some of the ghost sound design can get really grating, E Gadd especially so in the beginning of the game when he is constantly interrupting you on the Dual Scream. I think the game also suffers due to the control system, I'm playing through it on an original 3DS so I'm unaware if there is a second analogue configuration for it, but it could definitely do with one - having Luigi unable to turn while vacuuming can cause some frustration.

It was quite a challenging game, some of the missions were incredibly tough and I could only finish the Treacherous Mansion ghost rush after I'd gone back through some earlier levels and fully upgraded my Poltergust. The worst mission was the boss fight Chilly Ride, I must have attempted it at least a dozen times until I defeated the boss. The section where Luigi needs to fire bombs at him is so frustrating, aiming took me too long to get used to and the gun overheated far too quickly. Overall it was a fun game though, but I can't see myself playing through it to find all the collectables any time soon.

I've also been playing OlliOlli on the 3DS. Despite not having played it for a while, I was in Tony Hawk mode when I first started playing OlliOlli so I was absolutely appalling at it. After a short while though I got used to doing tricks with the analogue stick rather than buttons and I've made it to the end of every level on easy mode. I'll probably chip away at it and unlock the Pro levels over the next couple of weeks, it's a really good game to play while watching TV and I think I could sink a lot of hours into it. I bought it in the recent Curve Digital sale on the eshop so I've got it on the Wii U as well, I can definitely see myself playing through it again on that at some point too.

Next on my list is the original Half-Life and Another Code: R. I loved all of Cing's DS games so I don't know why it's taken me so long to get around to playing their Wii efforts, but i'm really looking forward to it. With 'Half-Life' it's a game I've somehow managed to avoid playing but finally feel like trying it out.

Edited by killthenet

Platinum for Plague Inc. Evolved get :D Loved every minute of it.

Now...what to play next? I think I might go for Call of Duty: Black Ops III Singleplayer. Never gave that one a go...

And on my Vita I may throw in either Guacamelee (because @Hero\-of\-Time reminded me that it's an awesome game) or Super Exploding Zoo.

Currently Playing

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) long-term playthrough

Overwatch (PS4) long-term playthrough

Minecraft (PSVita) long-term playthrough

No Man's Sky (PS4) long-term playthrough

Completed

January

Bastion (PS4/PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Tearaway (PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Transistor (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Life is Strange (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Ether One (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Tales from the Borderlands (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Defense Grid 2 (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Grimd Fandango Remastered (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Rogue Legacy (PSVita) "last-trophy-run" IDbttgi.gif

Dust: An Elysian Tale (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

February

The Wolf Among Us (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) reached Prestige 2

Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)

Peggle 2 (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Crypt of the Necrodancer (PS4/PSVita) Cadence+Melody Zones 1-4; Cadence All-Zones-Mode

March

Crypt of the Necrodancer (PS4/PSVita) Melody+Bard All-Zones-Mode

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) reached Prestige 4 and 5

The Unfinished Swan (PS4)

Limbo (PS4)

Assault Android Cactus (PS4)

Salt and Sanctuary (PS4)

April

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) reached Master Prestige

May

Alienation (PS4)

Nioh - Alpha Demo (PS4)

Dark Souls III (PS4)

Hitman GO (PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Severed (PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) acquired the Dark Matter Camouflage

Table Top Racing: World Tour (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

The Walking Dead - Season 1 (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

June

The Talos Principle (PS4) main game

Plague Inc. Evolved (PS4)

July

Plague Inc. Evolved most of the diseases completed on Mega Brutal Difficutly (PS4)

Dangerous Golf (PS4)IDbttgi.gif

Furi (PS4)

Enter the Gungeon (PS4)

August

Plague Inc. Evolved (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Put on hold

GTA: Vice City (PS4)

This War of Mine: The Little Ones (PS4)

Flame Over (PSVita) long-term playthrough

Dark Cloud (PS4)

Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4)

Persona 4 Golden (PSVita)

Super Exploding Zoo (PS4/PSVita)

Crypt of the Necrodancer (PS4/PSVita) long-term playthrough

Enter the Gungeon (PS4) long-term playthrough

Rogue Galaxy (PS4)

Alienation (PS4) long-term playthrough

Invisible, Inc. (PS4)

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (PS4)

Tricky Towers (PS4)

Sonic the Hedgehog + Sonic the Hedgehog 3D

Someone brought in one of those Mega Drive clones with 6 or so built in games which we hooked up to a projector and I ended up beating Sonic 1 on it. Then I had the urge to play the 3D version so played through that as well.

Currently playing Yokai Watch, but honestly can't really tell if I like it or not.

Got the week off so was thinking of playing through something but can't decide what to play and I'll probably end up not playing anything.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4) complete and platinumed!

This is a fantastic directors cut of the game and its amazing how much more content and how many changes are present in this version.

There are two new ares to explore. These are the fishing village and the volcano area. The way they have added these to the base game is very seamless and if you never played the original version then you wouldn't have known.

This version is a lot easier than the original. The addition of the super gauge allows you to unleash a massive amount of damage in a short amount of time. When powered it you can also heal yourself with it. These moves weren't present in the base game.

Some of the bosses were easier, as well. This wasn't just down to having more powers at my disposal ( although it did help ) but some of the bosses attacks had changed and been nerfed. The most notable one was when fighting the woman. In the original game she would fire her projectiles and there would be very hard to dodge. In this one, the amount she throws at you is reduced, making it easy to simply step out of the way of them.

There was also a new boss added to this version as well as a few stronger normal enemies. These offered a nice change for me and required me to rethink a few things. The enemies also had a health bar above their head! This made it easier to see how far off from dying they were.

I loved doing the challenges, even if challenge 15 was a bit of a nightmare. That chicken didn't want to go where I was aiming it at! :D These weren't in the base game and instead were offered as DLC. Seeing as I didn't have the DLC on the Vita version, this was my time time playing through them.

I'm chuffed to bits with how much i've enjoyed playing through both of these games and feel a little guilty that I got both of them as PS+ games. I may splash out on the DLC and give Drinkbox some of my money for making such amazing games.:bowdown:

Two more games completed and Platinumed.

The first one was Arcade Game Series: Pac-Man (PS4). Had a lot more trouble beating levels than I expected. :laughing: It still only took about 90 minutes to get the Platinum trophy, though.

And in the last few hours I finished Super Exploding Zoo (PS4/PSVita). Lovely little puzzle game. Enjoyed it a lot :) The trophies were very easy so the Platinum only took 3 hours (I think).

Now...what to play next? I've decided against Call of Duty: Black Ops III Singleplayer. It's something I'd love to complete in online co-op with a mate.

On the Vita I'm half-regularly playing Minecraft. It's my go-to game when I just need to relax and let the day come to an end :) I will eventually get the Platinum but I won't rush it.

Nothing from my "On Hold List" speaks to me right now and I think I'll reducy my time with No Man's Sky so I won't be burnt out when the first content update arrives.

Well, looking at my PS4 library I got reminded that I need to finish the The Talos Principle: Road To Gehenna (DLC). I think that's what I'll finish next :)

Currently Playing

The Talos Principle: Road To Gehenna (PS4)

Completed

January

February

Crypt of the Necrodancer (PS4/PSVita) Cadence+Melody Zones 1-4; Cadence All-Zones-Mode

March

Limbo (PS4)

Salt and Sanctuary (PS4)

April

May

Alienation (PS4)

Nioh - Alpha Demo (PS4)

Dark Souls III (PS4)

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) acquired the Dark Matter Camouflage

June

July

Plague Inc. Evolved most of the diseases completed on Mega Brutal Difficutly (PS4)

Furi (PS4)

Enter the Gungeon (PS4)

August

Arcade Game Series: Pac-Man (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Super Exploding Zoo (PS4/PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Put on hold

Dark Cloud (PS4)

Rogue Galaxy (PS4)

Invisible, Inc. (PS4)

Tricky Towers (PS4)

2 games done this weekend, in Grow Home and ABZU

Grow Home, i enjoyed it. Controls were simple, but sometimes i fell off and fell for some time. Usually as i was nearing a teleport point. But it was fun none the less

ABZU, been meaning to play it. What a game, nice and simple and beautiful to look at. Reminds me a lot of Journey, Flow and Flower. These games i enjoy playing as a refresher from some of the high octane games available.

Mark of the Ninja (DLC)

74fd4be61d63677d43efc5b57cc97a23.a909fac31379fb876846a4ab6f307071.png

Dosan's Tale

I played Mark of the Ninja a few years back, and only recently did I decide to play the "Special Edition" DLC, as well as the New Game Plus while I'm at it.

The DLC includes an entirely new level (a flashback from the tattoo artist Dosan), an entirely new style to use in any level (Dosan himself. He can take out guards without killing them and carries more items, but lacks the hyper-reflexes and the radar-eye from the other suits), new items (a fatal fungus that spreads to multiple guards, and moths that briefly incapacitate guards and block lights. The latter is immensely useful) and developer's commentary (that you can read while playing levels, or all at once on the menu screen)

So, besides the new level, I decided to play New Game Plus while reading the commentary and experimenting more with the various styles. I initially wasn't aware that NG+ was basically a Hard Mode, which was a pleasant surprise, and a fantastic Hard Mode at that. Rather than increase the number of guards or something along those lines, MotN instead tweaks a few aspects in the presentation to make the game more challenging and immersive (for example, by removing visible sound waves, or turning everything into Fog-of-War except for the Ninja's line of sight). Great stuff.

I also had a blast alternating between stealthy style and demon style. The former makes you a silent shadow (though you lose the ability to kill), while the latter terrifies enemy guards into shooting each other (though without distraction items). Either play style is rewarding in its own way, but the demon style is a special kind of fun: This one time, by strategically killing two specific guards, I caused a mass panic that ended with 6 more dead.

So yeah, better-than-Batman simulator, 11/10, would play again, in fact I just did.

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Freedom Planet (2014) Beaten (Last played: 15th March)

-Rayman Forever (1995) Completed (3rd May)

-Deponia: The Complete Journey (2012-2013) Completed (14th May)

-Blocks that Matter (2011) Completed (25th May)

-Sonic Spinball (1993) Beaten (19th June)

-Card City Nights (2014) Completed (1st July)

-Tetrobot & Co. (2013) Completed (1st August)

-Mark of the Ninja DLC (2012) Completed (21st August)

Currently Playing:

-Little Big Adventure

-Donkey Kong Country Returns

-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Finished The Talos: Principle: Road To Gehenna just now. The DLC (which is included in the PS4 release) adds several puzzles which are awesome.

Going for the Platinum I had to solve 7 puzzles that were each confined to relatively small "rooms" but holy hell they have been quite difficult. I felt like a genius after each one :laughing: What made them so awesome was the fact that the assets you've been using throughout the entire game needed to be used in different ways. You had to think outside the box.

Best puzzle game I've ever played :)

My next game will be Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Bought this a long time ago but never properly gave it a chance.

Currently Playing

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4)

Completed

January

February

March

Limbo (PS4)

Salt and Sanctuary (PS4)

April

May

Alienation (PS4)

Nioh - Alpha Demo (PS4)

Dark Souls III (PS4)

June

July

Furi (PS4)

Enter the Gungeon (PS4)

August

The Talos Principle (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Put on hold

Dark Cloud (PS4)

Rogue Galaxy (PS4)

Invisible, Inc. (PS4)

Tricky Towers (PS4)

My next game will be Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Bought this a long time ago but never properly gave it a chance.

Great game, one of my favourite open world GTA style games.

Like Happenstance said, its a great open world game. I loved it when I played it on the 360. The game doesn't try to make the world you play in too big and the combat is excellent. I still have it to play on the PS3 thanks to PS+.

I ended up buying, playing through and nabbing all the trophies for the 2 two sets of DLC for Guacamelee (Vita). The challenges were a lot harder than on the PS4 game and i've read that some of the gold requirements were toned down for that release.

I finished Prince of Persia: Warrior Within on Gamecube yesterday :smile:

51FR01YKH9L.jpg

When I originally played the game over a decade ago, I grew rather frustrated with it as I somehow lost my way and just couldn't muster the desire to get back into it for a long time :blank: For a couple of years now, Warrior Within has been stored away in the bottom of my wardrobe away from the rest of my collection as it seemed inevitable that I would be gettign rid of it.. but I gave it another chance :heh:

After a while, I started to see glimpses of what made me love The Sands of Time so much and it was enough to make me see my way through with the relatively boring combat and frustrating layout that involved revisiting areas a little too often.

As has been something of a recurring theme throughout 2016, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within goes down as another game I never expected to play through but have now beat :hehe:

Great game, one of my favourite open world GTA style games.

The game doesn't try to make the world you play in too big and the combat is excellent.

Played this for an hour last night and it seems to be a game I can enjoy :) The combat is brutal, awesome and fun. :D

I think that most of my gaming time today will be spend with the Nioh Beta, though. :laughing:

Had a second run on This War of Mine: The Little Ones the other week and managed to get to day 28. Was seriously chuffed to have managed that as I sadly lost one of my characters around day 6 or so and was left with 2 people for most of it to tackle surviving. After my first run, though, I set out a plan: immediately build 2 beds and a stove and then spend the nights gathering food and medical supplies (with a few other non-essentials) so that during the day, the person who went scavenging could eat and sleep along with the one on guard.

Seemed to do the trick with lasting that long. The character who died early on was through a mistake on my part but there wasn't much I could do as a shotgun beats a knife ::shrug: But as expected, it wasn't all plain sailing and despite having to off people to survive when scavenging and managing to talk them out of their depression, a second person left not long after I'd agreed to look after a child. So the last 10 or so days were really difficult as I couldn't really leave at night to scavenge with the child left in the house. I got a little bit lucky in that another character came along and joined me but depression set in and he left a couple of days later.

Sadly croaked it on day 28 when out scavenging for more food. The combat controls are so clunky that every time I went to attack, it would stutter and the enemy would land a hit and that was it. They really could have done with smoothing that out as in the end, it cost me my run through.

Still, really enjoying it. The strategy involved in planning scavenging out, rationing food and medical supplies and such is surprisingly deep and it definitely lends itself to that "just one more go" ideal. Quietly becoming one of the most engrossing games I've played this year. Wasn't sure it would be up to much but yeah, really glad I picked it up on the sale.

Also managed to nab the platinum on No Man's Sky last night. The enjoyment I initially had with the game has more or less left me so now that I've managed to plat the game, I think this one is going to sit for a week or two before I go back to it because it was getting to the point where it was feeling more like a slog than anything else. To give the game its dues, I've probably put in something like 30 to 40 hours since release so I've gotten a lot of time out of it. But the push for that platinum really soured the game a bit and the lack of diversity in what you're doing was starting to get to me.

That being said, last night I was playing at a much slower pace and taking my time to discover things and it was sitting a lot better. It does seem to be a game that if you go in guns blazing and zoom through it, you'll end up seriously burnt on it. But take it slower, and it becomes a lot more enjoyable.

It feels decidedly basic in what you can do, even if you didn't know about the omissions you could probably guess that something was missing from the game. It's a shame as the diversity in planets I saw was great, ok some repeats but more often than not there was always something unique about them. It just would've been nice if they could have married that with something a bit deeper gameplay wise. Who knows, maybe the coming months will bring with it the necessary patches to do that and help to build a stronger title, just like how Minecraft started out and ended up. I've my fingers crossed for that anyway.

I'm just happy that the game has stopped crashing every time I try to leave the options menu as that was beginning to grate a bit but now that it's fixed, a more gentle pace through the game as I continue to work towards the centre of the galaxy should be more enjoyable once I come back to it.

Completed

January

Axiom Verge (Started Dec. 2015)

Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition

Resogun* (Rookie complete, 3 difficulty settings to go)

Super Exploding Zoo

Among The Sleep

Amplitude

Just Cause 3 (Started Dec. 2015)

Fallout 4 (Started Nov. 2015)

Flower

February

The Witness (Platinum get)

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Submerged

Rainbow Six Siege (Situations Completed)

Firewatch

Unravel

March

Hotline Miami

SOMA

The Fall

Murdered: Soul Suspect (Platinumed)

Uncharted 2 Remastered

April

Uncharted 3 Remastered

Republique (PS4)

Shutshimi

Teslagrad

Volume (Platinumed)

Mirror's Edge (PS3)

Blues and Bullets - Episode 1 & 2 (of 5)

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

May

Shadow Complex Remastered

Koi (PS4)

The Park (PS4)

Table Top Racing: World Tour

Uncharted 4

June

Ratchet and Clank (2016)

Invisible Inc. (Beginner difficulty)

Child of Eden (PS3)

Oxenfree

VEV: Viva Ex Vivo

Gone Home (PS4)

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

July

Far Cry Primal

Infamous First Light

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

Type:Rider (PS4)

Adr1ft

Shadow of the Beast (PS4; Normal Difficulty)

Trials of the Blood Dragon

Song of the Deep

Unmechanical Extended

August

Hyper Light Drifter

The Walking Dead Season 1

Abzu

This War of Mine: The Little Ones - 2nd Run: Day 28 (Long term)

No Man's Sky (Platinum)

Got both Bound and Grow Up on the go, although I've played less of the latter purely because I'm having a slight hangover from No Man's Sky and so I think it's having an effect on my enjoyment of that game. Contemplating booting Mirror's Edge Catalyst back up to nab the last couple of collectibles and get the platinum, and give me 6 for the year so far though getting 5 is pretty good for me.

It does seem to be a game that if you go in guns blazing and zoom through it, you'll end up seriously burnt on it. But take it slower, and it becomes a lot more enjoyable.

That's why I've decided to take a break from it. Like you, I've put in around 40 hours already and really enjoyed my time with it but if I continue at this pace I will be burnt on it.

I left myself several things to do (max out exo-suit and ship, travel through a black hole, travel to green/red/blue Star Systems, find Atlas Pass v2 and v3, follow the Atlas Route, travel to the centre, several trophies) and I will get back to the game after the first content patch.

Edit: Managed to beat the second mission of the Nioh Beta and acquired the Mark of the Strong DLC for the full game.

This game will be a hit : peace:

Currently Playing

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4)

Completed

January

February

March

Limbo (PS4)

Salt and Sanctuary (PS4)

April

May

Alienation (PS4)

Nioh - Alpha Demo (PS4)

Dark Souls III (PS4)

June

July

Furi (PS4)

Enter the Gungeon (PS4)

August

The Talos Principle (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Nioh - Beta Demo (PS4)

Put on hold

Dark Cloud (PS4)

Rogue Galaxy (PS4)

Invisible, Inc. (PS4)

Tricky Towers (PS4)

Edited by drahkon

I had a thoroughly rotten experience playing through Half-Life over the past couple of days that I'm glad is now over. I never expected to love the game, but I didn't expect to hate it either. What I did expect was a smart, tight and pioneering first person shooter but what I got was a loud, dumb and buggy experience. I've never been one for PC gaming, mouse controls are obviously great but using a keyboard to control movement in three dimensions is so frustrating and laborious, there is no precision in movement at all and overlooking context sensitive buttons in favour of giving every function a different key just over complicates things. The imprecision of the controls is particularly highlighted by the poorly designed platforming sections, of which there are many, making traversing basic puzzles was needlessly frustrating.

Other than my issues with the controls and poor level design, my biggest issue with the game was it's truly ugly sound design. Most of the confined spaces make use of the irritating 'drain pipe' effect, gunshots are far too loud and monotonal, and the creature noises sound like crackling sex noises. The music is also painfully late-90's and belies any atmosphere the game had created when it kicks in with it's fast pace.

I wonder if a lot of my problems would have been solved by playing a modded version of the game, but I wanted to play it as originally intended. One of the most infuriating aspects of the game was that the load times seemed unusually long for an almost 20-year old game running on a less than 12 month old laptop. The game is designed around saving often and dying regularly so having to wait a minute for it to load, only to die within 30 seconds of it reloading got very tiresome very quickly. One more than one occasion I got stuck in a pipe and was completely unable to move, the only was to get around it was to activate the 'noclip' cheat in the console. The AI of the scientists was another point of irritation, having to wait for them to slowly open a door for you or refuse to take another step must have been frustrating even in 1997.

I tried to temper my reaction to the game, and wanted to like it - to try and appreciate it as it would have been 20 years ago but as impressive as it must have been at the time I struggle to see how it would have been any less frustrating to gamers in 1997 and it's a mystery to me why this game has the reputation that it does. I wanted to finish the game to see if there was any improvement but the frustrations just compounded later on and it was a real struggle to finish it.

Edited by killthenet