NEurope
dazzybee

Can We Chat About The Online Boards

Okay, I may be in a monority, hopefully not though. It I think the online boards are a terrible idea (slight exaggeration). The problem I have, and due to their inactivity I presume others do, is that people simply don't really go on those boards, except for mk league smash and splatoon. And they're used so frequently any other call to arms on another game would be dropped from that first post which is the only one with visibility.

On other boards people chat about online in the main threads, and it works perfectly fine. Most online games have no activity, so me asking for a game of Dr luigi isn't going to distract from the discussion.

I would say separate mk league, smash and splatoon but make the. Stickies on the Nintendo board and lose on,Ine boards all together.

I genuinely believe we'd game more online if we did this.

Thoughts?

I do agree, apart from Splatoon, Smash and Mario Kart what else is posted there. I reckon the chit-chat should move to the relevant threads as currently, the likes of online play with games like Destiny are in the threads over on the "Other Boards"

I think Fleenuh are going to start getting worried about your Freudian ways.

On a serious note - I'm indifferent. It's nice to have it seperate, but the activity here isn't too pumping for online to interfere with much more than MK8 or Splatoon(even Smash will probably be ok). As you say it could benefit smaller games.

Flipside is - some people may only want to look to play online and won't like filtering bigger threads - if no one's mentioning people and a post of 'lets play online' then somehow sparks a bigger discussion; it can get easily lost.

So...I await the views of others.

I don't play that much online, but when I do and ask if anyone else want to play, there's often few replies, if any at all. I'd imagine it being even harder to find people to play with if I had to ask in a different thread in a different board many may not enter. But I'm assuming most people don't use "new post" and therefore wouldn't see the bumped online thread.

Excellent. That's 2 our of 2 agrees. Close the thread, lose the online section, the board has spoken...! ;)

Excellent. That's 2 our of 2 agrees. Close the thread, lose the online section, the board has spoken...! ;)

Hey now, not so fast.

I can't see how it would help people to get more gaming online.

I severely doubt it would make any difference at all.

Take MH4U for example, I tend to only get 2 or 3 people interested at most when I want to play online.

It's not the board, it's the community.

some people may only want to look to play online and won't like filtering bigger threads - if no one's mentioning people and a post of 'lets play online' then somehow sparks a bigger discussion; it can get easily lost.

This!

Without @ing specific people, the online posts will likely get lost. Also @ing people severely limits your chance of a response.

Having an area where you can post an open invite is good.

Maybe we need the 3 (4? Monster Hunter?) main threads and a more general open one for any game? Or just leave it as it is but create a general thread for organising an online session without naming a specific game???

Hey now, not so fast.

I can't see how it would help people to get more gaming online.

I severely doubt it would make any difference at all.

Take MH4U for example, I tend to only get 2 or 3 people interested at most when I want to play online.

It's not the board, it's the community.

But I think that's because of the set up, you post on the monster hunter thread, then mk league gets posted on, then platoon, smash bros. It moves down, people don't check that board so people don't see that someone wants a game of MH 4!

It will make a huge difference, the online board is dead pretty much and it'll bring life to this board too and older games!

This!

Without @ing specific people, the online posts will likely get lost. Also @ing people severely limits your chance of a response.

Having an area where you can post an open invite is good.

Maybe we need the 3 (4? Monster Hunter?) main threads and a more general open one for any game? Or just leave it as it is but create a general thread for organising an online session without naming a specific game???

Or, do like I said - sticky splatoon, smash mk league and let us organise games in the game threads, perfect!!!!

No post on the first page of this board has an online game in it, so it's not like posts would get lost trying to organise a game on wii sports/golf/kid icarus/dr luigi/need for speed etc.

Posting in those threads will raise it to the front page where I presume everyone comes to see what's happening, just maybe someone will see it and go yeah I'll play that! I know I would.

And just take a look at the online board, it's dead. It's embarrassingly dead. It's pointless.

And just take a look at the online board, it's dead. It's embarrassingly dead. It's pointless.

I think thats more down to the lack of online multiplayer games on the Wii U & 3DS.

Theres 3 games people play online on their Nintendo consoles, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon. Oh look, they all have had posts in the last day or so.

So yeah, its not dead.

Edited by lostmario

But I think that's because of the set up, you post on the monster hunter thread, then mk league gets posted on, then platoon, smash bros. It moves down, people don't check that board so people don't see that someone wants a game of MH 4!

Funny you should mention that...

This afternoon, around 12, I think, I posted that I would like to play some MH4.

Guess how much interest that has gotten?

I think the problem is that there are too many online games that people play and not very many people who have the time to just jump online to play them whenever they want.

The likelyhood of you playing a game that someone else has and is playing at that time is rather low.

Hmm... :heh:

Yeah, I really can't decide if it would be better to scrap the online section completely, or just leave it how it is. :hmm:

On the one hand it would tidy things up a bit and generate more activity in the specific threads. But at the same time, the nature of Nintendo's online setup (i.e. awful :heh:) means 99% of the online related posts will just be @mentions and arranging times etc., which will break up the main discussion.

Is this not the kind of thing that can just be tested for a while though, see how it pans out?

I think thats more down to the lack of online multiplayer games on the Wii U & 3DS.

Theres 3 games people play online on their Nintendo consoles, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon. Oh look, they all have had posts in the last day or so.

So yeah, its not dead.

They're the three main games. But I think let games would get more use if the posts would be more visible. The other boards have such good online setups and every game is on,Ine pretty much, yet that doesn't have seperate board, is other board a shambles because of it?

In a quick defence, they were first set up when it seemed like Nintendo were gearing up their online offering.

Did you just want to talk about online boards for Nintendo specifically, or should this be moved to account for the other online boards?

Hmm... :heh:

Yeah, I really can't decide if it would be better to scrap the online section completely, or just leave it how it is. :hmm:

On the one hand it would tidy things up a bit and generate more activity in the specific threads. But at the same time, the nature of Nintendo's online setup (i.e. awful :heh:) means 99% of the online related posts will just be @mentions and arranging times etc., which will break up the main discussion.

Is this not the kind of thing that can just be tested for a while though, see how it pans out?

That's why seperate the main 3. Like I said the other online games don't have any discussion any way. Try it and I bet you never go back. Look at when the last posts were made on the online board. Lose it, sticky the main ones and it becomes one place to go, much cleaner.

Plus I bet other games are played more. Though not hard to win that one.

Maybe a sticky thread in the general forums, for all online games? You don't have to deal with the "clutter" of normal discussion, and I suspect smaller games won't get lost in there either. And then it would be great if someone updates the OP to display the status of current online meet-ups.

In a quick defence, they were first set up when it seemed like Nintendo were gearing up their online offering.

Did you just want to talk about online boards for Nintendo specifically, or should this be moved to account for the other online boards?

Just seen this weirdly, well other boards seems to work fine to be honest, just organising games in each thread, I think Nintendo boards should do the same. Like how we are arranging an online game in Wii sports thread. It works great. Those games don't have any discussion anyway.

I say have a separate thread for Mario kart league, splatoon and smash bros. permanent sticky in the Nintendo board. And get rid of the online one completely. Cleans the place up, and I reckon smaller games would get more online going. Makes perfect sense. At least worth a try isn't it?

My only concern with stickying all those would be that 8/50 threads on each page would be sticky (having just removed the Miiverse embed one). But then not sure if people will be concerned.

My only concern with stickying all those would be that 8/50 threads on each page would be sticky (having just removed the Miiverse embed one). But then not sure if people will be concerned.

Yeah I know what you mean. Or maybe not then, those 3 online threads are so busy they'll always be near the top anyway I'd imagine.

Do splatoon and smash bros really need a separate thread?

Mk8 only needs one because of the league.

Maybe have the league stickied (not even sure that is necessary, I think it is active enough to remain near the top on it's own), and then let the rest of the chatter go in the regular game threads??

Hm, I didn't really notice we still had the online board. Think I was all in favour of consolidation not long ago, keeps this board busier. If we look at the most popular Other Consoles threads regarding multiplayer games, they've done well. Stickies for things that have tournaments etc which generate plenty of their own discussion. Will run it by the others but I think yeah it'll just be merged back in.

It sounded like we were going to give this a go.... Come on, you know it makes sense. Especially with Mario maker out too! (Another sticky)

Sorry, other things took over it.

For now how about we move the SMM levels and MK Tournament threads and close the Smash Bros and Splatoon ones with links to their general discussion threads (in the Nintendo boards) saying meetups should be arranged through there. If the online board continues to not really be used we'll move/merge etc anything that might still be needed (such as the NNID and Friend Code threads) and just archive the rest.

That sound reasonable to the community?