Sméagol

Thanks mod(s) Rummy.

I felt like doing a new Riot mafia. I will harass some people with mentions:

Players in the first game:

@Mr\-Paul

@Dannyboy\-the\-Dane

If you haven't played the first game or want to refresh your memories:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54288

In short: there are very few rules, and you can make up your own abilities.

I intend to keep most stuff the same. The only change I intend to implement myself is getting rid of the day/night cycle, as with the instant nature of most abilities this didn't really add to the game.

Balance

Some of you were concerned about the balance, and I commented back then that I didn't feel there was enough evidence that this game (heavily) favours town, as the mafia missed a lot of opportunities for sending in passive and active abilities. I still feel that way, so I don't intend to change anything to affect the balance, like changing the town/mafia ration. If you unanimously think I should add one extra mafia, I will, otherwise I won't. The only thing I'll do myself, is give the mafia a headstart by letting them start a day earlier, so they can think of strategies, and synergizing abilities.

I want to stress that, just like the first game, I won't allow mafia members send in abilities for inactive players. This is a game where you can fucking do almost anything you want. Don't sign up if you don't want to do anything you want.

Alignment preference

Since I really want a mafia team that works together, I need players who really want to be mafia. I was thinking of letting you state your preference through PM. If I have enough players wanting to be mafia, I'd like to honour those requests (on a first come first served basis), but I wonder if this in itself adds some meta gaming that works in favour of town. Let me know how you feel about this.

Abilities

One small change I intend, is to be somewhat stricter with separating active and passive abilities. In practice, this is probably going to mean that I want an active ability to require a target, otherwise it's need to be a passive.

Be creative

Again, to comment on the balance, some (mafia) people are scared shitless of the sheer amount of possibilties. I want to stress that, I feel everything has a counter. Even if the roleblock has been used up. Be especially creative with passives, they can be very powerful defenses.

If you want, you can PM me to ask about examples from the first game (or things you can think of), and how I'd counter them, if I were playing myself. You can also already ask about abilities to see if I'd allow them. In the first game, I didn't want to give you any ideas, and wanted you to think of things yourself, but some seem to need some help with that.

Anyway, that's all I can think of, and want to mention right now. I hope I can get a game going again on this forum. I think I'll leave the sign-ups open for a week (say, until Friday).

The list:

[00] Sméagol

[01] Jonnas

[02] Cube

[03] The Peeps

[04] ReZourceman

[05] Tales

[06] Rummy

[07] DuD

[08] JimBob

[09] EEVILMURRAY

Edited by Sméagol

Man! I was clearing out my PMs the other day and literally thought 'it's ok to delete my riot mafia ones, I'm not gonna end up using them anytime soon' - just because I mostly can't remember all the tings we did with the game(i'm gonna be very green).

Even so...SIGN ME UP!! Though I won't be able to play until like Monday the 8thish.

P.S I feel like I'm going to be super rusty on mafias, but I'll give it my best. I'm not sure if Yvonne still comes by here but I'll g him up too(presuming he has the time).

Edited by Rummy

I have no idea what a riot mafia is, but I'll give it a try.

Well, if you haven't already, you can get a taste of the anarchy here:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54288

The rules will also be more or less the same.

I'm here, I'm in.

And this time, I promise to not go vigilante on the first night :heh:

Why, who's stopping you? :p

Added the people from the general thread and this thread. Thanks people. Obviously I hope to get more players (and I'd love to get some veterans back, but I'm not expecting anything), but I will go ahead with 8 players, so be prepared to start next weekend! Can't say if it will be Friday, saturday or sunday though, depends on my other plans.

[..]

Though I won't be able to play until like Monday the 8thish.

[..]

This, combined with the fact that I'll be out for most of the day on Sunday, leads me to the current plan:

Role PMs will be send out in the night of Saturday to Sunday.

Mafia will have a day's headstart on Sunday.

Game will begin in the night of Sunday to Monday.

I'm not sure what my plans for Saturday are, I'll probably stay at home, or I may do another film marathon. But in any case, with the current plan, you have until Saturday midnight to sign up.

Ok, my plans are highly flexible, and I doubt I'm still going out tonight..

This is what's going to happen:

1] Role PM's will be sent after this post, but the game will not start yet.

2] Mafia players will get a headstart, in that they can ask me anything on the mafia board, and come up with potentially synergising abilities, but don't worry, they will be able to send in ability request at the same time everyone else does.

3] Depending on how much time the mafia needs to prepare, the game will start tonight at midnight, or tomorrow at midnight (CET, so 11 PM for you UK folk). I will default to the latter.

Edited by Sméagol
Automerged Doublepost

This is probably going to be last notification before the game starts.

The game starts tomorrow at midnight. 09-06-2015 00:00 CET / 08-06-2015 23:00 UK.

[countdown=06/09/2015 12:00 AM;The Super Riot Mafia has begun!]Count down:[/countdown]

Here are the rules (subject to change):

Gameflow

There are no day and night cycles! Turns last 72 hours (although this is open to debate). Deadlines are generally at 00:00 CET / 23:00 UK, unless stated otherwise. This depends on my other plans that day, although I'll generally keep the deadlines where they are, but delay the actual write-ups if necessary. If a majority has been reached for a lynch, the next turn will start the next day.

Votes

The usual way. You can vote one person to be lynched during the dayphase. This calls for an absolute majority, which means a number of votes equal to at least 50 % of all active players, rounded down, plus one.

Roles

There are no pre-determined roles. Your role PM will only specify your alignment, either town or mafia.

Win conditions

The usual, town needs to eliminate all mafia members, mafia needs to match or outnumber town.

Abilities

Each turn, you may perform one active ability. In addition, you may enable one passive ability during the game, which you can change once per turn.

Active abilities

An active ability is an action you perform. During the turn, you may send me a PM with the ability you wish to perform. You have a high amount of freedom of what you can choose, although there are limits. Generally speaking, an active ability consists of: target + effect (+ optional conditions). Below are some restrictions.

No more than one ability of its kind performed by anyone each turn

An active ability cannot be performed twice by anyone within the same turn. This also applies to abilities which are not exactly the same, but very similar. What is deemed "very similar" will be up to me. In general, the effect will the deciding factor in comparing abilities. Abilities are handed out on a first come, first served basis. So for example, there will be no mass investigations by town, or mass killings by mafia.

One target

A target is generally required for an active ability, but you may not have more than one target, unless you can convince me otherwise, in case its necessary for the ability to perform (a target switcher would be a tradional example). Targets will generally be other players, but this may not always be the case.

One effect

You can't have more than one main effect. I may make exceptions for tradional mafia roles, though I think I want to phase this out. A jailkeeper would be an example, which has both a protect and roleblock effect. Although it can only have one main effect, some lesser side effects may be allowed. I have also decided not to allow any alignment altering effects.

Passive abilities

Passive abilites, as opposed to active abilities, are always active, and wait for an event to trigger to enable some effect. Passive abilities are therefore generally defined as trigger + effect (+ optional conditions). Simple examples of triggers would be when you're targeted or when you die. Passive abilites share the same restrictions as active abilities. No two players can't have the same, or similar passive abilities. The effect will be the deciding factor. It can only have one main effect. If your passive ability has a target, it can only have one.

Ability timings

Unless specified otherwise, once accepted, your active abilities will take effect immediately, and if concerning a continuous effect, going forward until the end of the turn. Effects won't be applied retroactively unless specified.

What if my ability gets rejected?

Often I will reject abilites in this game where you can do anything! I may or may not elaborate on the specific reason for rejection, but know in advance there are 3 possible reasons:

- The ability, or one which is very similar, has already been claimed by someone else. The most common reason.

- I may think it's overpowered.

- You're asking too much of me. Your request may not be practical, and I'm lazy.

Some tips: I like to be technical, so be specific, but simultaneously keep it simple.

Your host, Sméagol!

May as well come out with it.. I have an NPC status. I may or may not have an active and/or passive ability of my own! I do not count towards win conditions, nor do I have any my own.

Miscellaneous

A lot of the usual rules don't apply.

- You may edit your posts.

- You may post when dead.

- You may PM eachother (but please add me as a recipient!)

- You may quote PMs.

- You may even post when you're not in the game!

Unlike the previous game though, you can't post during the night.

Improvisation and balance

This game requires a lot of improvisation. I have rules, but there will always be exceptions. I decide things on a case by case basis, and may not always do things consistently. This is something you'll have to accept. This also means I may not decide things the same way as in the previous game. I may allow things I have rejected in the previous game, and vice versa. In fact, I have not decided if I'm going to be more strict, or more liberal this game. Let's find out, how exciting!

With improvisation being such a big factor in this game, the most important rule of them all is:

Rules are subject to change

But here the short version::

No day/night cycles. Turns last 72 hours.

Votes the usual way.

Win conditions as expected.

One active ability per turn. An active ability is target + effect.

One passive ability at a time. A passive ability is trigger + effect. You may change your passive ability once a turn.

Active abilities, when accepted, are instant unless specified otherwise.

No feedback unless necessary.

I'm an NPC

@Jonnas / @Cube / @The Peeps / @ReZourceman / @Tales / @Rummy / @DuD / @Jimbob / @EEVILMURRAY