N-Europe

Rocket League

Fierce_LiNk

Rocket League is getting a new playlist called Rocket Labs that lets players try out new maps. The first three maps available in the playlist will feature wildly different layouts from what has been seen in the past.

[Rocket Labs] will be included in the upcoming February update and will let players try out prototype arena layouts which, according to the developer, will sport a virtual reality-inspired aesthetic. [...] Player feedback will help decide which work-in-progress maps get final artwork assets applied to them.

Well, this will get me back to the game :D

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe it's almost 2am. Was planning to play some with my mate at 10 for ranked doubles, he was like...2 fucking hours late and we were just gonna have a couple of games. Started with some 3v3 unranked, then he mixed it up to some 2v2 unranked. We played a few games and realised it was the same two sticking with us, and we came to think we'd stick with them too! Just some really enjoyable/moreish matches. They tended to do better on the bigger arenas, us on the small, and after an early lead of 7-1 to them in one match when I was just losing my shit and focus we came back to 7-4...then thrashed them 9-1 in the next match! A rivalry was born! Kept taking a match each(us, them, us, them, us, them) and it was so damn moreish!

But yeah. Longer story short...I spent far too much time playing RL tonight, can't believe I ever hesitated on paying ~£15 for this game.

Whilst waiting I also did some single player which I only touched briefly before - whereas I was terribly shit before all my online playing seems to have improved my skills and despite the crappy AI won all the single-player matches I got through this evening.

But yeah. Essentially played like 3-4 hours of Rocket League this evening and possibly gonna regret it tmw but damn this game still holds itself very well. Deserved its GOTY bits and all other relevant similar things.

this game still holds itself very well. Deserved its GOTY bits and all other relevant similar things.

Rocket League's amazing, isn't it? :D

I still play this almost every two or three days. Crank up some music and do 2v2 ranked matches : peace:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've bought the first two car packs as soon as they were released but now I wanted a new vehicle so I bought a new car:

hqdefault.jpg

And I will most likely buy the occasional key to open crates (crates can drop, which you can open with keys you can buy; in each crate there is a selection of items, one of which will be given to you at random).

Normally I wouldn't give two shits about cosmetic items but I feel like Psyonix deserves my money. I got the game for free on PS+ and the free support we've gotten so far is INSANE. The recently added Rumble mode tops everything and I want to give the devs something in return. : peace:

It really is crazy the amount of free updates and support they've given since release. It's a game I still jump on quite regularly if I've got 5 to 10 minutes spare and it's as enjoyable now as it was when it was first released. Having those alternate modes of Hoops, Snow Day and now Rumble given enough depth to keep you coming back time and again. It's one of the reasons I'll keep my PS+ running just to be able to access it.

Haven't put much time into the new Rumble mood other than a game the other night and it was pretty chaotic trying to keep track of what was going on and how to best use the power-ups. Something I'll plug a bit more time into and probably love just as much as the standard Soccar game mode. It happened with Hoops and I ended up loving that for how frantic it was trying to scramble and tip a ball into the hoop.

Bought a few of the cars, though I still like pulling out the DeLorean and rocking that, being a big BttF fan. Would love to see them bring some more vehicles like that over, like say Ecto 1 from the original Ghostbusters, The Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo (I mean, it's virtually in the game, they'd just need to reskin one of the base models), the Knight Rider car (I mention this as it was supposed to be happening but hasn't since appeared), the Dukes of Hazzard car or even things like the Mach 5, the car from Dumb and Dumber or Herbie.

And I will most likely buy the occasional key to open crates (crates can drop, which you can open with keys you can buy; in each crate there is a selection of items, one of which will be given to you at random).

Normally I wouldn't give two shits about cosmetic items but I feel like Psyonix deserves my money. I got the game for free on PS+ and the free support we've gotten so far is INSANE. The recently added Rumble mode tops everything and I want to give the devs something in return. : peace:

Couldn't agree more with what you're saying. I've bought a few of the additional vehicles etc and even bought the game on the PC (even though I got it free via PS+). That's how much I enjoy playing it.

Really enjoying Rumble as well. Some of those items are absolute game changers when used at the right time etc.

Only thing that still bothers me is the amount of people who rage quit during it!!

I paid my £15 for it, and tbh I was very hesitant but I've probably easily got my money's worth so far - and that's not even compared to how much some of you guys have put into it.

I've played a fair few rumble matches now, I enjoy it so far. It's different but still feels the same and I don't mind it at all, different powerups doing different things and sometimes I feel like things are a bit jammy/unfair but really that's kinda rocket league all over anyway. Didn't realised first night I played it(had about 3-4 matches) that it Rumbles into even different arenas kinda like the Rocket Labs style, assumed it was just standard 3v3 plain maps so somewhat pleasantly surprised by the map mixups too. Am wondering about trying to play with friends at some point and see what co-ordination might bring in combination with the power-ups.

Sorry for not responding in the other thread but I still have a practical course to complete at university and it's taking up a lot of my time.

I'd be interested. Playing on a PS4 :)

Nope no worries. Currently looking like might be a series of invitation matches of different communities or something. Got a few podcasts interested in taking part.

Most people seem to be up for PS4 so far.

Hi Guys. Trying to see if there is much clamor for an N-E Rocket League tournament/league for our MadDog Marathon? Trying to work out options and if it's a possibility. If so let me know and also what format you're playing on.

I'd potentially be up for that on either PC or PS4

I'm a PS4 lad @flameboy and I'd be interested depending when it is etc if it's for the MM. I'm still trying to figure out atm if I can make it up to Manc for the event the guys are doing up there too tho.

Ok cool. Being at the even won't make much difference, was considering having a few teams anyway. Already got two podcasts to sign up.

Ok so far I've managed to rustle up the following podcasts to take part;

Lapsed Gamer Radio

Joypad & Me

As things stand it looks like doubles might be easier for both of those. Does anyone have any objections? I know 3 is the standard but if people are ok than we go with it?

@Rummy @MilaGi ?

My PC may just about manage playing this so I may buy a second copy so I can take part as it has cross play with PS4 right?

• 5 months later...

Anyone still playing this? Got back into it late last year and it's now my go to mindless-back-from-work-chill-and-don't-think game. Such a brilliantly balanced game. Becomes way better and less luck-based the more hours you sink into it.

They must be making a shitload of cash off the loot boxes and all that - everyone I play against are decked out with fancy glowing stuff. Only game I've ever paid microtransactions on; feels good to give something back to a free game!

For anyone interested, ex-gamespot writer Danny O'Dwyer has a great 20 minute doc about the making of - really interesting look at how games studios work. Also great to see a journalist going solo to patreon to actually make something constructive rather than another chat podcast!