NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

2 and a half years. How are they going to convince people to buy the NX? People are wary of Nintendo consoles now. The burnt Wii U owners are going to be reluctant too. I certainly will be. They never even tried.

That's what bugs me. They should have set out of the gate years ago with a Metroid, Zelda and F-Zero all planned - start the way you intend to go on. To me, E3 2012 was almost as bad as this one because you could see which way things were going. There was still potential then, but it rang alarm bells to me that they didn't have any big, 3D games (apart from Pikmin 3).

I think part of the problem might be lack of fresh blood within the Nintendo system..? I think the old boys (Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie) are getting out of touch and need to pass the baton on - The truth is, Nintendo has been fairly disappointing for years now (obviously my opinion..!). Most of us have been running on mere hope and possibility.

So true.

They are never going to get back on track until they see the importance of having a console as powerful as the others (in other words - part of the industry) with games as big and ambitious as theirs. They need young, passionate teams who actually want to make better games than The Witcher 3, for example, and that needs to be the standard rather than an exception. Metroid, Zelda and Kid Icarus could all do this.

At the moment, all they're doing is re-using existing assets they have laying around.

I wish I loved Nintendo still but they've completely gone and lost me now. I hope the NX is a handheld and that they don't make anymore home consoles.

Same. My hope is that next year's reveal of NX is as good as 2010's unveiling of 3DS, when they had several games that all looked brilliant. I want to be back on board, I genuinely do.

I suppose why waste resources on a proper Mario or Metroid game when your console is getting shelved in a year or two. May as well leave them for the first year or two of the next one. They've teased us with Zelda U for so many years they kind of have to release it on Wii U at this point.

We're completely bummed out at our place. @Eenuh and I weren't really expecting anything, so we went into it with low expectations and still came out disappointed.

It was just so empty. I dislike what they've done (or rather not done) to Starfox and it looks really bland. I can't seriously believe that Nintendo thought that the game looked acceptable to show in that state, it could pass for a GameCube game, imo. Looks about two generations behind. Not even sure it would look good for that era, either.

Metroid was also such a non-reveal and non-event. This is not the Metroid that any of us wanted. We wanted Prime, not Prime Hunters. Gutted. Eenuh doesn't even dare mention it in our flat.

Aside from that, I also think having no Zelda trailer was a huge mistake. Just something to get us excited or put some life into the Direct. Some gameplay, a theatrical trailer, just something. I'm also disappointed at the lack of long-term projects coming to the system. As in, there's not really a lot to look forward to.

Not sure if it was the worst E3 showing, but it has to be a contender.

YWW, XCX, SMT X FE,

Whoa, this really is a year of the most bizarre acronyms :heh: Nintendo even managed to fit two Xs into one title!

I dunno. There was stuff there, but at the same time it just felt like a lot of nothing too.

That, I can definitely see. My main criticism of the Direct: the time was badly managed. They would talk for so much time on stuff we already knew existed and bythewaynew4swordszeldaforthe3dsexceptits3swordslol and now... back to Yoshi's Woolly World.

But that's the only truly negative thing I saw. There were only a few new games, though none of them looked bad per se, and what we saw of games we knew existed wasn't bad, either (though I'll say more in their respective threads). And of course, I loved the muppets, I wish we get to see them again.

Though I'm curious: I thought Retro Studios was working on something, and they would reveal that, but they didn't. That was downright disappointing, now it'll be months before I find out what "Can you dig it?" truly meant!

I was worried Retro were the ones behind the new "Metroid", but it seems not.

Still not all bad from a personal POV, this E3 has convinced me to buy a PS4 as the Uncharted games look fun, so too No Man's Sky and Firewatch and probably an Xbox One as well for Mass Effect 4, Recore, Tacoma, Cuphead and Tomb Raider.

Too right, That FF7 announcement already has me thinking how and when should I buy. Its also for the fact that as a core Nintendo gamer, I know there have been masses of PS4 gems that I have naturally missed.

That one announcement has me seeing everything else on the PS4 with rose tinted spectacles!

Missed out on MGS4 on PS3 for Wii... I've only gone and missed out on MSGV and FFVII on PS4 for Wii U. #FML

Starfox on treehouse now looks really nice graphically are you lot mad ? Maybe just unflattering trailer earlier it looks superb running

I agree. I'm no saying Nintendo didn't mess this Digital Event up. All I'm saying is that there's a massive over-reaction going on.

Doesn't it ever occur to you that there is no overreaction just major disappointment again.

Missed out on MGS4 on PS3 for Wii... I've only gone and missed out on MSGV and FFVII on PS4 for Wii U. #FML

Lol, I remember the week you bought the WiiU. There was a great deal for a PS4, which was something like 50 quid more than what you paid for the WiiU.

Whoa, this really is a year of the most bizarre acronyms :heh: Nintendo even managed to fit two Xs into one title!

That, I can definitely see. My main criticism of the Direct: the time was badly managed. They would talk for so much time on stuff we already knew existed and bythewaynew4swordszeldaforthe3dsexceptits3swordslol and now... back to Yoshi's Woolly World.

But that's the only truly negative thing I saw. There were only a few new games, though none of them looked bad per se, and what we saw of games we knew existed wasn't bad, either (though I'll say more in their respective threads). And of course, I loved the muppets, I wish we get to see them again.

Though I'm curious: I thought Retro Studios was working on something, and they would reveal that, but they didn't. That was downright disappointing, now it'll be months before I find out what "Can you dig it?" truly meant!

Reggie did imply games will be revealed at Treehouse Live. Let's hope for good stuff.

I was worried Retro were the ones behind the new "Metroid", but it seems not.

Sadly, it seems Next Level Games are the ones making it. I was hoping for something a little more from them. :(

A little bit lackluster.

The games are surely looking fun though, but it just missed that big BOOM moment.

Like a high-end F-Zero or Metroid or new Franchise.

A little bit lackluster.

The games are surely looking fun though, but it just missed that big BOOM moment.

Like a high-end F-Zero or Metroid or new Franchise.

Thank you.

That's the thing with this conference. Titles look solid, there just weren't any massive reveals, which sucks really.

Thank you.

That's the thing with this conference. Titles look solid, there just weren't any massive reveals, which sucks really.

It's not the conference that's the problem, it's the direction Nintendo are going.

Of course most of it looks solid - most of it isn't new :rolleyes:

Barely

Excluding Skylanders, the Nintendo Digital Event contained:

New announcements (counting Starfox & HWL): 7

Existing game details: 7

Pretty even split.

Poor show, though I loved the muppets. Too much time on Yoshi, although I guess having a big audience a week before the game is a great way to advertise. Just not what such a long amount of time in an E3 conference should be used on.

Star Fox looked great, Metroid and Zelda 3DS multiplayer should be fun - can you really be judging on a trailer less than a minute long? - and I can't wait for Fire Emblem Fates.

People want megatons at E3, and this didn't have them. Doesn't make the games they will release bad. If there were some more big Wii U announcement there wouldn't be as much backlash at what there is.

Me, @Josh64, @D_prOdigy, @Hellfire and @Cube have had a nice calm chat about it in the N-E staff Skype discussion, seems we didn't hate it quite as much as the majority!

How are you even counting those as new - we had Starfox announced a year ago lol, and HWL isn't 'new' either :laughing:

Give him Starfox, that may as well have been a new announcement. Not Hyrule Warriors though.

Good fucking Christ. You're turning into Wii. You're dismissing genuine titles and putting insulting and inflammatory prefixes in to a few of them.

He didn't use one prefix...

Anyway, kudos at Ashley for the main site updates - it makes E3 looks better than it was . :D

You're welcome!

:p I actually got stuck at work until 7 then went drinking to forget work. It was all these beautiful people:

Me, @Josh64, @D_prOdigy, @Hellfire and @Cube have had a nice calm chat about it in the N-E staff Skype discussion, seems we didn't hate it quite as much as the majority!

How are you even counting those as new - we had Starfox announced a year ago lol, and HWL isn't 'new' either :laughing:

He said new announcements so they just didn't show exactly the same as last year..? ::shrug:

Starfox wasn't publically shown before today.

Hyrule Warriors Legend is a new game as it is a game that was not on that console before. If we're just going to not count ports and remasters, then let's take a second look at Microsoft and Sony's conferences, shall we?

Starfox wasn't publically shown before today.

Hyrule Warriors Legend is a new game as it is a game that was not on that console before. If we're just going to not count ports and remasters, then let's take a second look at Microsoft and Sony's conferences, shall we?

Hyrule Warriors 3DS with lower frame rate and draw distance is a little different to FF7's update from PS1 to PS4.

I am concerned Nintendo see E3 as not much more important than a Nintendo direct every couple of months.

The NX reveal will show just how important Nintendo think E3 is.