NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

Way to completely dismiss everyone else's opinion there Jonnas, top job.

Do you honestly not see where people are coming from here?

Have to agree with this somewhat. @Jonnas, I think it's rather disrespectful to suggest that nobody else here has been level-headed, presumably because you disagree with them. I often don't see eye to eye with @Zechs Merquise but he has completely hit the nail on the head with this one.

A truly groundbreaking E3, this one. The most utterly astounding presentations from 2 companies for such drastically different reasons.

It's pretty crushing watching Jose's body language when asked first up to sum up the show in one word. The disappointment on his face is sad

Finally got home and caught up with the video...

Pretty underwhelming overall, but the stuff they did show looked great at least!

Just lacked something really major and shockingly unexpected. Not terrible, but not really great either; just ok really :heh:

Lol, I remember the week you bought the WiiU. There was a great deal for a PS4, which was something like 50 quid more than what you paid for the WiiU.

Cheers brah..;_;

It's pretty crushing watching Jose's body language when asked first up to sum up the show in one word. The disappointment on his face is sad

Yeah, I was watching that stream live and thought exactly the same. He looked completely deflated.

Have to agree with this somewhat. Jonnas, I think it's rather disrespectful to suggest that nobody else here has been level-headed, presumably because you disagree with them.

I've already said it: I was unimpressed by the direct. My comment addressed the sheer rage from a couple of pages back.

E3 isn't the center of the universe for the industry any more and especially not for Nintendo. They could announce something huge at a European games show or just in any given Direct on any given month, whenever they have something ready to show and/or when it fits into the PR ramp-up. So nothing huge was announced today but I think what was announced fits with that young audience it's trying to reach in different ways (Skylanders Amiibo, Animal Crossing spin offs, Yokai, cutesy Metroid games etc.)

There are enough games coming up to keep my interest (FE:Fates, Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade, Fatal Frame) but I've appreciated that I am not Nintendo's primary customer for some time now and I am groovy with that. Maybe if I was 8 again.

Another half-fuller here thoroughly disappointed.

It was like a self-parody, with the 'muppet show' of Nintendo big wigs becoming unbearable. Told several times about the theme of 'transformation', yet everything felt completely safe and inward-looking. The ending must be the only time I've felt like Mario music was aural torture.

Still holding out hope that Star Fox receives the necessary spit and polish, but Animal Crossing Party, Zelda and Metroid were uninspiring to say the least.

It was weak, but it's been spread out which is why it seems that way.

If there were no spoilers and no direct a few weeks ago and spoils at championships it would have been a decent E3. A surprise Ryu announcement would have been awesome, same for Hyrule warriors. Mother coming to Europe would have also gone down really well. Add to that third party fluff that wasn't included such as Mario & Sonic, Just Dance and an indie sizzle reel and whilst it would have still not been mega, it would have been good.

I think as a whole it's been a good month for Nintendo news, it's just the official e3 day didn't have it all in one go. But yeah, I didn't hate it as much as you guys, but it's clear the Wii U is on the way out.

I've always just loved the charm of Nintendo though. I haven't got Splatoon yet, and mario maker and Yoshi look awesome and adorable, along with Starfox and the other little goodies. It's been clear to me for a long time that Nintendo are weird and cooky, and shouldn't really be able to survive in what is now a Western dominated market, so I'm thankful that they're still around with their puppetry at E3, their Smash Bros nostalgia enducing remixes and passion for 2D platformers.

I've accepted that they're never going to be the company they were in the N64 days, I'm just thankful they can support themselves and give us awesome quality titles every now and then and give us amazing fan-service as I thought they'd have gone the way of SEGA back in the GameCube era.

The fact that it's 2015 and we're getting a new Starfox makes me very happy.

Starfox wasn't publically shown before today.

Hyrule Warriors Legend is a new game as it is a game that was not on that console before. If we're just going to not count ports and remasters, then let's take a second look at Microsoft and Sony's conferences, shall we?

Curious how showing it at a public event last year (E3) isn't considered "publicly shown"...?

It was weak, but it's been spread out which is why it seems that way.

If there were no spoilers and no direct a few weeks ago and spoils at championships it would have been a decent E3. A surprise Ryu announcement would have been awesome, same for Hyrule warriors. Mother coming to Europe would have also gone down really well. Add to that third party fluff that wasn't included such as Mario & Sonic, Just Dance and an indie sizzle reel and whilst it would have still not been mega, it would have been good.

I think as a whole it's been a good month for Nintendo news, it's just the official e3 day didn't have it all in one go. But yeah, I didn't hate it as much as you guys, but it's clear the Wii U is on the way out.

I've always just loved the charm of Nintendo though. I haven't got Splatoon yet, and mario maker and Yoshi look awesome and adorable, along with Starfox and the other little goodies. It's been clear to me for a long time that Nintendo are weird and cooky, and shouldn't really be able to survive in what is now a Western dominated market, so I'm thankful that they're still around with their puppetry at E3, their Smash Bros nostalgia enducing remixes and passion for 2D platformers.

I've accepted that they're never going to be the company they were in the N64 days, I'm just thankful they can support themselves and give us awesome quality titles every now and then and give us amazing fan-service as I thought they'd have gone the way of SEGA back in the GameCube era.

The fact that it's 2015 and we're getting a new Starfox makes me very happy.

I was thinking the same. If they had the Direct contents from two weeks ago and kept the Smash stuff & Earthbound to today, then there would have been a lot less disappointment

Curious how showing it at a public event last year (E3) isn't considered "publicly shown"...?

It was shown behind closed doors, not on the show floor.

E3 isn't the center of the universe for the industry any more and especially not for Nintendo. They could announce something huge at a European games show or just in any given Direct on any given month, whenever they have something ready to show and/or when it fits into the PR ramp-up. So nothing huge was announced today but I think what was announced fits with that young audience it's trying to reach in different ways (Skylanders Amiibo, Animal Crossing spin offs, Yokai, cutesy Metroid games etc.)

There are enough games coming up to keep my interest (FE:Fates, Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade, Fatal Frame) but I've appreciated that I am not Nintendo's primary customer for some time now and I am groovy with that. Maybe if I was 8 again.

E3 is still the place for big announcements. Nintendo may think otherwise but the rest of the industry doesn't.

I had a thought/have a theory. What if, the Square Enix conference had a factor in this. There was the scheduling conflict and Square Enix agreed to delay an hour but what if Nintendo had to cut their Digital Event down so that there was no further clash.

As such, we ended up with the random Japanese Nintendo Direct on May 31st (seriously, that came out of nowhere) and its US equivalent on June 1st which contained many other titles including Chibi Robo and Bravely Second and caused them to shift the Earthbound and maybe Smash stuff to the Sunday rather than having it all in one.

If Nintendo did have the last Direct's stuff and Earthbound/Smash in the Digital Event, then it would have been a solid showing. Not amazing, but definitely solid and would not have got this reaction.

Edited by Serebii

E3 isn't the center of the universe for the industry any more and especially not for Nintendo.

No idea how you can say that after what we have seen the past couple of days.

Thank you.

That's the thing with this conference. Titles look solid, there just weren't any massive reveals, which sucks really.

The titles don't look solid - starfox looks incredible low budget and doesn't make the most of the wonderful art style it is trying to replicate and that Animal Crossing game...what on Earth.

Once again, we've seen that Nintendo do not have a software strategy, or at least a competent one. It's embarrassing.

Also, please can you drop the whole 'relax, it wasn't that bad' attitude. People are not over reacting, they are just disappointed. If you bothered to read the posts on here you'd get that.

I had a thought/have a theory. What if, the Square Enix conference was partially responsible. There was the scheduling conflict and Square Enix agreed to delay an hour but Nintendo had to cut their Digital Event down so that there was no further clash.

As such, we ended up with the random Japanese Nintendo Direct on May 31st (seriously, that came out of nowhere) and its US equivalent on June 1st which contained many other titles including Chibi Robo and Bravely Second and caused them to shift the Earthbound and maybe Smash stuff to the Sunday rather than having it all in one.

If Nintendo did have the last Direct's stuff and Earthbound/Smash in the Digital Event, then it would have been a solid showing. Not amazing, but definitely solid and would not have got this reaction.

Fuck me, there are no words. You're so in denial it's untrue.

Titles look solid,
Not to me. I saw solid looking titles at all the other press conferences, so I have a frame of reference.

Fuck me, there are no words. You're so in denial it's untrue.

I'm postulating a theory based on the evidence. I'm not assigning blame.

It's a fact that Nintendo had a random Direct which had reveals two weeks ago.

It's a fact that Square Enix had a scheduling conflict with Nintendo.

What I theorise is certainly within the realms of possibility. Try actually thinking about it rather than giving a quick knee-jerk reaction.

It was shown behind closed doors, not on the show floor.

Ah okay it was shown at their London event so I just assumed it was shown as part of Treehouse last year but seems not.

I had a thought/have a theory. What if, the Square Enix conference had a factor in this. There was the scheduling conflict and Square Enix agreed to delay an hour but what if Nintendo had to cut their Digital Event down so that there was no further clash.

If that is the case (not that I think it is) they seriously need to learn how to edit. There was a lot of bumf that could have been cut down and made a solid one hour of actual content, not people talking endlessly.

Ah okay it was shown at their London event so I just assumed it was shown as part of Treehouse last year but seems not.

If that is the case (not that I think it is) they seriously need to learn how to edit. There was a lot of bumf that could have been cut down and made a solid one hour of actual content, not people talking endlessly.

Totally agree. The Yoshi bit was excruciating.

What on earth are you talking about? Do you think Nintendo haven't been putting their E3 Direct together for a good while now?

And if anything it seemed like they were trying to pad out their Direct with games we've already seen and information we've already had from them. Xenoblade, Yoshi, Mario Maker... the 5 min ending, my god there was so much filler in there.

Totally agree. The Yoshi bit was excruciating.

The Yoshi bit was excruciating. AGAIN!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a 10 minute segment on it again next year.

There was a lot of filler in the direct...Skylanders, Yoshi (AGAIN), Mario Maker (AGAIN) and the ending (LOL, 'we've got one more thing to show you') made up around 15 minutes of the direct. They knew they had nothing to show hence the playing down of expectations and Iwata not bothering to turn up..

I was genuinely expecting a Skylanders style amiibo platforming game that would tie in all the amiibo already out. I thought they needed a bit of time to get it looking good and playing well. And instead we got... 2 Nintendo characters in a Skylanders game. :-|

A basic Chibi Robo platformer on 3DS and Ryu in Smash wouldn't have made any difference.