NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I for one have never watched or had interest in watching a Direct. I doubt I'm in the minority. A large conference gathers attention of those maybe not normally interested in news from said company. I'm betting though that to have a conference for every release of information versus doing a number of directs that there is a sizable difference in cost. Or not, I don't know.

The only people who watch Nintendo Directs are dedicated Nintendo fans. It's not going to be people interested in gaming in general, which is what E3 is all about. Importantly though, E3 has a much, much bigger audience. That fact alone is enough to select E3 over a Direct any day of the week, surely?

You're also ignoring the fact that E3 is a massive networking event where conversations happen and impressions are made. Nothing at all is happening if you do a Direct.

I really don't care whether it's "false" or not. Though, I don't believe it is, not to the levels you're suggesting. And besides I've heard/seen some announcements fall flat through the years so they obviously don't ham it up for every reveal.

I don't see how he doesn't get that the more exposure it gets the better... as long as it's positive (which I don't think you can guarantee with Nintendo anymore).

Nintendo Directs get just as much media coverage as a press conference does and personally I feel like press conferences are getting a little outdated and stuffy to hold my interest. The long pauses between announcements for someone to walk on stage, just for the them to talk for 30 seconds to lead in to a trailer all seems unnecessary.

I think revealing the NX on a Nintendo direct would be fine.

The only people who watch Nintendo Directs are dedicated Nintendo fans. It's not going to be people interested in gaming in general, which is what E3 is all about. Importantly though, E3 has a much, much bigger audience. That fact alone is enough to select E3 over a Direct any day of the week, surely?

You're also ignoring the fact that E3 is a massive networking event where conversations happen and impressions are made. Nothing at all is happening if you do a Direct.

You're really downplaying the relevance and reach of Nintendo Directs. They get huge exposure

Typically, the E3 conferences get around 1 million views on Youtube (Sony's:

844,501 views, though to be fair other places have reuploaded it themselves and get a good amount of views) after and around 100,000 watching live. Nintendo Directs have similar amounts (maybe less watching live) and look at views for the last Direct 1,143,409
). Unfortunately I can't get the data on the Digital Event because Nintendo idiotically deleted it and reuploaded without the charity stuff.

The reach is far more than you give it credit for.

Also, Nintendo still attends things like E3, has conversations, press meetings etc. Stop downplaying what they actually do

Again, Nintendo Directs have huge reach, the news from them are reported by the mass media (especially when hardware is included), they get people talking. They are no different to conferences except for the "atmosphere"

Edited by Serebii

Surely there are stats to see how many people watched their 2012 conference with their direct conference.

Personally I think Nintendo's Directs have been far greater than 95% of all conferences. But a console reveal is a slightly different thing.

Surely there are stats to see how many people watched their 2012 conference with their direct conference.

Personally I think Nintendo's Directs have been far greater than 95% of all conferences. But a console reveal is a slightly different thing.

Well we need to get adjusted data but

Nintendo Pre-E3 2012 Direct

Nintendo E3 2012

Nintendo Direct April 2013

Nintendo Direct November 2015

Only 100,000?

That's what I remember seeing when I watched Microsoft's last year and PSX last month wasn't that much more.

Well, I can't believe that out of - let's say - 30 million PS4 owners only 100,000 watch the conference live...

I've been happy with E3 Directs/Digital Events the last few years, but for such a major hardware reveal, it has to be a press conference. If they want to do a pre-E3 unveiling via a Direct and then do the proper unveiling at E3 as a press conference that works too.

Tricky one, however they do it, a bit of me feels announcing the name, launch and concept before E3; then showing the games and concretes at E3 seems like the best way to go.

As for which... Maybe a video for the first one, then a conference for the big unveiling.

Yeah, they should certainly show/talk/tease about it first and then have a proper unveiling at E3. Pretty much what Microsoft and Sony done with their consoles. It gets people talking about the systems and builds up the hype train.

As for which would method of communication I would prefer, I'm not really fussed just as long as the message is clear. I don't want another Wii U situation on our hands.

In terms of Directs Vs Conferences, both have their positives and negatives.

A Direct, while looking more professional, lacks that feeling of being amongst a crowd. They are fun but impersonal. Also, let's not pretend that they are snappy and well edited.

During the last general Direct, I sat in party chat and watched it with lostmario, Blade and Kav and we were all shocked when they repeated footage from a couple of games. They would show a game, with someone talking over it, and then show a trailer of the game using the footage we had just watched.

There was also the awkward presenter who couldn't say Pokemon right. The less said about him the better.

I've also never been a fan of how long the Smash character tutorials went on for. They always stopped the Directs dead for me.

Finally, let us not forget a certain visit to a wool shop that happened during one E3. :D

So while a Direct maybe more professional and structured, it doesn't mean to say it will be edited well or flow any better than a live conference.

A live conference suffers from all of the above, like nervous presenters, drawn out demos and developers talking about stuff we don't want to hear. Things often go wrong on stage but this can add to hilarity of a live presentation.

What a live presentation does do is get you involved and get a better reaction from you. It's like you're sitting in the crowd.

From a company standpoint it shows that you care about having the press there for the first unveiling. Is it kissing their butts? Most definitely but by doing the legwork and getting them involved from the start then they can help you in generating hype and positive word of mouth.

So, yeah, pros and cons for both. Neither are perfect and it's all a matter of preference really.

A new console launch is supposed to be an BIG event. I just hope Nintendo treat it at such.

You're really downplaying the relevance and reach of Nintendo Directs. They get huge exposure

Typically, the E3 conferences get around 1 million views on Youtube (Sony's:

844,501 views, though to be fair other places have reuploaded it themselves and get a good amount of views) after and around 100,000 watching live. Nintendo Directs have similar amounts (maybe less watching live) and look at views for the last Direct 1,143,409
). Unfortunately I can't get the data on the Digital Event because Nintendo idiotically deleted it and reuploaded without the charity stuff.

The reach is far more than you give it credit for.

Also, Nintendo still attends things like E3, has conversations, press meetings etc. Stop downplaying what they actually do

Again, Nintendo Directs have huge reach, the news from them are reported by the mass media (especially when hardware is included), they get people talking. They are no different to conferences except for the "atmosphere"

E3 has far more views than that. YouTube is just one of many streams.

E3 has far more views than that. YouTube is just one of many streams.

Same with Directs

Same with Directs

Maybe so, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought for even a second that anywhere near the number of people watching the world's biggest games conference watch the Directs (which is what I assume your pseudostatistics was trying to prove).

Maybe so, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought for even a second that anywhere near the number of people watching the world's biggest games conference watch the Directs (which is what I assume your pseudostatistics was trying to prove).

Maybe, but that could just be because more people are into Sony stuff right now

Just because A=A does not mean A=B.

The fact is that Nintendo Directs have far more reach and impact than you give them credit. Yes, you may not like them, yes you may prefer conferences but let's not ignore facts here.

Definitely a press conference providing it's followed by having the press try it out afterwards.

That's one of the best thing about most tech announcements - you see the news and then within hours you get lots of hand on impressions.

(someone else may have said this, just skimmed at work)

Well, I can't believe that out of - let's say - 30 million PS4 owners only 100,000 watch the conference live...

Only 301 people saw the first GTA V trailer on YouTube when it first appeared you know.

For those of you talking about networking, do note that Nintendo actually do still do press conferences at E3, they just don't broadcast them anymore.

Directs are for the public and the press conferences are for the press/publishers/developers; that's also why they don't talk about sales during the E3 directs, they save that for the actual press conferences that take place at E3 because they took note of how many people complained during past E3 conferences when they were presented with globs of stats and sales charts.

Edited by Dcubed

For those of you talking about networking, do note that Nintendo actually do still do press conferences at E3, they just don't broadcast them anymore.

Directs are for the public and the press conferences are for the press/publishers/developers; that's also why they don't talk about sales during the E3 directs, they save that for the actual press conferences that take place at E3 because they took note of how many people complained during past E3 conferences when they were presented with globs of stats and sales charts.

Given how Reggie wouldn't stop putting his foot in his mouth last year, I think we all know they still do networking at E3. :D

It's not just Nintendo who don't waffle on about sales or show slides shows, none of the big 3 really do now. Just as well as they were boring as hell....except that one Sony did using the LittleBigPlanet stuff. That was pretty funny and unique.

The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII remake and Shenmue 3 (including addressing gamers to visit the Kickstarter) - all announced at E3. Couldn't be further from the truth by saying that E3 press conferences are just for the press and publishers - these have become as much if not more for gamers ever since streaming became widespread. E3 is a really big deal to everyone and it always amazes me that Nintendo turned their back on it.

Also, I don't think anyone is denying that Nintendo don't have some token offering at these conferences but without anything meaty being announced or presented it is not going to help them at all when it comes to networking and striking up conversations.

I think the 'meaty' part of Nintendos E3 presence now comes from the Treehouse segments. Sadly this done absolutely nothing for me last year. The fact was that they already lost my attention with the shoddy E3 Direct, which then had a knock on effect to where I had no desire to watch their Treehouse stuff. It didn't help that the games on offer last year were very meh.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed the previous years Treehouse segment. Not only that but their pre E3 show with the Nintendo World Championship set a great tone. Shame they couldn't follow through.

The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII remake and Shenmue 3 (including addressing gamers to visit the Kickstarter) - all announced at E3. Couldn't be further from the truth by saying that E3 press conferences are just for the press and publishers - these have become as much if not more for gamers ever since streaming became widespread. E3 is a really big deal to everyone and it always amazes me that Nintendo turned their back on it.

Those reveals would have had the same media and consumer reaction if their E3 conference was pre-recorded.

What we're saying is that the reveals get the same mass reaction pre-recorded or not. The actual conferences are for those who attend.

Those reveals would have had the same media and consumer reaction if their E3 conference was pre-recorded.

What we're saying is that the reveals get the same mass reaction pre-recorded or not. The actual conferences are for those who attend.

Actually what he was saying was that E3 was for the press and publishers/devs and that Nintendo Directs are for the public, which is what I picked up on because that's simply untrue (at least these days). Given the conference is live streamed to an audience far larger than those in attendance, and that a recent one contained a direct appeal to gamers with a countdown to a kickstarter going live, it shows that the event is not just for the people attending at all. It's for gamers just as much, as we live in an information age where people enjoy being part of the hype and hearing information they crave as soon as it hits.

And I'm sure there's many like me, who absolutely love the spectacle of a live performance and enjoy seeing the reaction as the news hits.

Edited by Sheikah