NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Actually what he was saying was that E3 was for the press and publishers/devs and that Nintendo Directs are for the public, which is what I picked up on because that's simply untrue (at least these days). Given the conference is live streamed to an audience far larger than those in attendance, and that a recent one contained a direct appeal to gamers with a countdown to a kickstarter going live, it shows that the event is not just for the people attending at all. It's for gamers just as much, as we live in an information age where people enjoy being part of the hype and hearing information they crave as soon as it hits.

It has shifted, yes, but it being a live conference makes no difference compared to a pre-recorded conference. A lot of Nintendo Directs had things available "now".

You're missing the point entirely

It has shifted because you bloody well shifted it! You can clearly see where I quoted Dcubed because I disagreed that E3 was just for the press and developers involved; as shown by the reveal of several highly desired fan-service games as well as a gamer-targeted Kickstarter - all at E3. Then you started going on about recorded vs non-recorded events out of nowhere. Hello?

As for the point you're now making - if having a pre-recorded conference had the same impact on the success and image of the game companies and publishers involved then live conferences would cease to exist. And the same goes for any other tech or software companies at all. Or heck, what about the scientific conferences I attended - why did these even take place? Surely it's the same if people just uploaded pre-recorded clips of themselves talking about their latest breakthrough rather than, oh, you know, turning up and actually properly engaging with people who share their passion? Fuck me.

Edited by Sheikah

It has shifted because you bloody well shifted it! You can clearly see where I quoted Dcubed because I disagreed that E3 was just for the press and developers involved; as shown by the reveal of several highly desired fan-service games as well as a gamer-targeted Kickstarter - all at E3. Then you started going on about recorded vs non-recorded events out of nowhere. Hello?

As for the point you're now making - if having a live conference had the same impact on the success and image of the game companies and publishers involved then they would cease to exist. And the same goes for any other tech or software companies at all. It's as simple as that, really.

Out of nowhere? It has been a part of the topic all day...

And it does have the same impact, as evidenced by Nintendo's stuff setting worldwide trends, getting great exposure. Why are you so reluctant to see this?

Out of nowhere? It has been a part of the topic all day...

Perhaps I am missing something here but it seems like you're pretty much admitting to deliberately ignoring the actual point I made because your grievance was "topic of the day".

Whether it's a direct or conference or a foam party in Ibiza...I'm more concerned about what exactly Nintendo are going to show rather than how they're going to show it.

The internet age is a strange one. You can no longer pull the wool over people's eyes or make false promises that can't or won't be kept. People are starting to see through Nintendo and they've been doing so for some time. It's reflected in the sales and popularity of the WiiU. I want to know how Nintendo plan on turning this around.

I'll be observing what Nintendo do with curiosity. There's a lot of work to be done.

Actually what he was saying was that E3 was for the press and publishers/devs and that Nintendo Directs are for the public, which is what I picked up on because that's simply untrue (at least these days). Given the conference is live streamed to an audience far larger than those in attendance, and that a recent one contained a direct appeal to gamers with a countdown to a kickstarter going live, it shows that the event is not just for the people attending at all. It's for gamers just as much, as we live in an information age where people enjoy being part of the hype and hearing information they crave as soon as it hits.

And I'm sure there's many like me, who absolutely love the spectacle of a live performance and enjoy seeing the reaction as the news hits.

That's how Nintendo choose to use it. They have their E3 Direct for the public and then they do a press conference with a recap of all of the Direct information, along with sales charts, stats and publisher/developer specific info (that they deem uninteresting to their consumers), in the actual E3 exhibition hall.

Not saying that their choice is right or wrong, just that's how they do it; so the press conference (that isn't streamed) is where they do all their networking.

Whether it's a direct or conference or a foam party in Ibiza...I'm more concerned about what exactly Nintendo are going to show rather than how they're going to show it.

I was just about to make a post similar to this before I read through the last few comments in the thread and discovered you beat me to it :heh:

The message from Nintendo needs to be clear with a direction going forward that will excite and inspire players, hopefully capturing the imagination of those, like yourself, who have lost their faith over the years.

We can all speculate about what type of controller they should have and whether or not they are looking for the latest 'gimmick' but, for me, they need to worry less about hiding some games away until they're ready and instead come out with some early footage of certain franchises just to get the message out that these games are being worked on and you can look forward to playing them, only on NX. If they had a sizzle reel containing Splatoon 2, Metroid, Mario Galaxy 3 and the revival of a forgotten franchise, such as Wave Race or F-Zero, it would at least give the impression that they've been listening to what people seem to want to see. Throw a new franchise or two into the mix and, to me at least, that would be a pretty magical first showing :heh:

Having said that, that probably isn't going to capture the attention of those who haven't cared about these franchises in the past. I'm not even sure how Nintendo can go about grabbing their attention at this stage in the PS4/XBOX One lifecycle, but it would maybe help a little if the first time anyone in the world saw footage of the next Call of Duty or FIFA, it was at Nintendo's NX Event, preferably highlighting features that have been made possible by the new console that perhaps can't be experienced elsewhere (..and no, a map on the controller isn't really enough :heh:)

I'm really excited to see what is going to happen.. but also petrified :shakehead

I'm really excited to see what is going to happen.. but also petrified :shakehead

It's fine. If it all goes wrong again we can just play on our N64s. :D

New rumour.

Nintendo (7974.Japan/NTDOY) slipped 5% in Tokyo after Nomura Securities said the mysterious new console NX, to be unveiled this June, will cannibalize the existing sales of 3DS and Wii U.

According to analyst Junko Yamamura, Nintendo will make NX available by 2016 year-end’s shopping season. Nomura expects Nintendo to announce the “concept” sometime between March and May, unveil the actual console in June, and launch it between October and November. “We think the NX will start to boost operating profits in 18/3, when it will have been on the market for a full year and will have a line-up of software titles, which carry high operating margins.”

So... basically like every single Nintendo console/handheld ever since the DS?

wwe8g.jpg

Edited by Dcubed

So... basically like every single Nintendo console/handheld ever since the DS?

I assume you are referring to the comment about cannibalizing the existing sales of 3DS and Wii U?

The main news/rumour to take away from this article is that this is another outlet saying Nintendo are gearing up for a launch this year.

I assume you are referring to the comment about cannibalizing the existing sales of 3DS and Wii U?

The main news/rumour to take away from this article is that this is another outlet saying Nintendo are gearing up for a launch this year.

Heh, nah. I'm talking about the announcement-release schedule. That's a pretty easy guess really.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce initial details on the NX when Miitomo and My Nintendo launches worldwide. And an E3 blowout is something that Captain Obvious himself would be proud to tell you.

Whether or not it comes out this year just depends on feasibility. They might make it in time for November, or it may just slip into March 2017. It is basically the DS all over again (and it'll be pushed as a 3rd pillar, just like the DS was - note how they keep saying that they're gonna keep supporting the 3DS and Wii U after the NX launches...)

Edited by Dcubed

Heh, nah. I'm talking about the announcement-release schedule. That's a pretty easy guess really.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce initial details on the NX when Miitomo and My Nintendo launches worldwide. And an E3 blowout is something that Captain Obvious himself would be proud to tell you.

Whether or not it comes out this year just depends on feasibility. They might make it in time for November, or it may just slip into March 2017. It is basically the DS all over again (and it'll be pushed as a 3rd pillar, just like the DS was - note how they keep saying that they're gonna keep supporting the 3DS and Wii U after the NX launches...)

They support the Wii U? :D

Yeah let's stop the direct/conference chat. It's dull and all a matter of opinion, the argument has been had before and I think everyone's said what they want to say.

As for unveil June and release autumn. That's something they've NEVER done so don't know why it's obvious... I think I t something they need to do, but more and more I'm beginning to think it'll be 2017.

Yeah let's stop the direct/conference chat. It's dull and all a matter of opinion, the argument has been had before and I think everyone's said what they want to say.

As for unveil June and release autumn. That's something they've NEVER done so don't know why it's obvious... I think I t something they need to do, but more and more I'm beginning to think it'll be 2017.

That's what they did with the Wii, DS and 3DS (3DS was originally due to release in November 2010, but was delayed till Feb/March 2011) - Can't remember how the GCN/GBA reveals went, but I think they were somewhat similar; though they used Spaceworld instead for the initial reveal IIRC.

They announced the concept earlier on and then did a full reveal at the following E3 (with a release that same year, or in the case of the 3DS, a few months after the intended end-of-year date)

Wii U was the big exception as that was given a full unveil a whole year before release (and that didn't exactly turn out well :p)

Anyway, remember that they said that the reveal would be this year, not necessarily the release...

Nonetheless, I'm sticking with my original prediction. NX handheld gets released either November 2016 or March 2017 and the NX console comes out in November 2017. The console might be shown off this E3, but I'm not really sold on the idea. The handheld definitely will be though.

Edited by Dcubed

That's what they did with the Wii, DS and 3DS (3DS was originally due to release in November 2010, but was delayed till Feb/March 2011) - Can't remember how the GCN/GBA reveals went, but I think they were somewhat similar; though they used Spaceworld instead for the initial reveal IIRC.

They announced the concept earlier on and then did a full reveal at the following E3 (with a release that same year, or in the case of the 3DS, a few months after the intended end-of-year date)

Wii U was the big exception as that was given a full unveil a whole year before release (and that didn't exactly turn out well :p)

Anyway, remember that they said that the reveal would be this year, not necessarily the release...

Nonetheless, I'm sticking with my original prediction. NX handheld gets released either November 2016 or March 2017 and the NX console comes out in November 2017. The console might be shown off this E3, but I'm not really sold on the idea. The handheld definitely will be though.

didnt they show the wiimote a year before launch, big unveil at e3? We know NOTHING bout nx; I think it's a big difference to how they approached everything else. Just having a blowout at e3 then launch isn't saying the same thing as releasing the console the same year we learn the first ever details about the console.

didnt they show the wiimote a year before launch, big unveil at e3?

The console was shown first, then the Wiimote a few months later but yeah, there was over a year between seeing the wiimote and then the release of the console.

The console was shown first, then the Wiimote a few months later but yeah, there was over a year between seeing the wiimote and then the release of the console.

It wasn't the final version of the Wiimote, nor did they show any actual games or OS/VC stuff until E3 (think they showed a few tech demos, my memory fails me though, but no actual games - that much I'm sure of).

None of the accessories like the Classic Controller or any final hardware like the sensor bar was shown until E3 either.

Edited by Dcubed

It wasn't the final version of the Wiimote, nor did they show any actual games or OS/VC stuff until E3 (think they showed a few tech demos, my memory fails me though, but no actual games - that much I'm sure of).

None of the accessories like the Classic Controller or any final hardware like the sensor bar was shown until E3 either.

Dazzy never asked about OS/VC stuff. He was simply on about the Wiimote, which was shown over a year before launch.

Here's the first time it was shown.

Looks pretty much what the final version was.

The OS is the biggest thing for me. If it doesn't have Party Chat, it doesn't get bought.

I then hope it's architecture is similar to the other consoles, not just power-wise, but similar build. Also, I'd rather them do a traditional controller in line with other consoles too.

This will all allow for easier & less costly porting of 3rd Party games, which Nintendo do need!

The OS is the biggest thing for me. If it doesn't have Party Chat, it doesn't get bought.

I then hope it's architecture is similar to the other consoles, not just power-wise, but similar build. Also, I'd rather them do a traditional controller in line with other consoles too.

This will all allow for easier & less costly porting of 3rd Party games, which Nintendo do need!

I just hope they have one and stick with it. Since the Wii there have been far too many different setups that could be used for their games. Wiimote, wiimote and nunchuck, classic controller, classic controller pro, Gamepad, pro controller.... Just give us the one controller!

I just hope they have one and stick with it. Since the Wii there have been far too many different setups that could be used for their games. Wiimote, wiimote and nunchuck, classic controller, classic controller pro, Gamepad, pro controller.... Just give us the one controller!

I don't mind all too much as long as a standard controller would be the main controller for the system. It needs the same number of buttons and functions as the other consoles' controllers... I'm looking at you, analogue triggers!

They just need to have it as in-line with the other consoles as they can to help the 3rd Parties.

Hell, it definitely needs a decent Hard Drive! Can't believe I forgot about that!

The one controller thing is so tricky. It is slightly confusing and convoluted, but at the same time at times it's been a god send being able to play mario kart or smash and such with the wii remote. I'd love it if I could use PS3 pads on the PS4 for example for multiplayer.

Hell, it definitely needs a decent Hard Drive! Can't believe I forgot about that!

Thats a good shout. I don't want to have to fork out for a separate hard drive or have the clutter of having an external one sitting next to the console. It should certainly have a 500GB-1TB hard drive as standard.

You don't say!!

Do Nintendo need them? I'm not totally convinced. I also don't see the point of releasing a console identical to the PS4 or XBO in the middle of a generation. Who would buy such a thing, apart from hardcore Ninty fans.

Absolutely this : peace:

In some ways, it is a positive to have games compatible with so many control schemes. However, when certain games only support specific control methods and there is such a wide variety available, how can there not be frustration amongst consumers when they can't play multiplayer with friends because they don't have the right controllers :hmm:

For instance, if someone bought a Wii U and a few additional Wii U Pro Controllers, that's great if you all fancy playing Mario Kart 8 together. try to play Nintendo Land, though, and you're told you need to buy some Wii Remotes to play together. You may already have some from the Wii era, so that may not be a problem.. until you realise that they have to be Motion Plus enabled for certain games. the whole thing is a MESS :nono:

I had friends over on Monday night and we actually had a lot of fun playing Nintendo Land and Wii Party U together, but it can be a pain in the backside having to constantly switch controllers during play between Wii U Gamepad and Wii Remote, especially when switching between 5 different players.