NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

As for NX, who bloody knows what they will/should do. Wii was a success despite being vastly underpowered compared to PS3/360 so maybe being too similar will actually be a hindrance, maybe Nintendo need to be the quirky second console that everybody will buy.

Exactly. No one will buy an expensive high powered Nintendo console mid generation, the thing will be buried before it even launches. Low price, more sales, bigger install base is what they're targeting I'm sure.

Exactly. No one will buy an expensive high powered Nintendo console mid generation, the thing will be buried before it even launches. Low price, more sales, bigger install base is what they're targeting I'm sure.

Thing is, while I agree it is a sound strategy, it didn't work out for the Cube. That thing launched at £130 and still struggled to keep up with the competition. Even when it got dropped by retailers and they were selling it for £40-50 it didn't help.

If they do the cheap route then they need another hook/gimmick that will get the general public on board. If it's something only Nintendo fans will buy then they are going to struggle again.

Most of them are very small games or games that don't really push consoles off the shelves. They've struggled to create enough system sellers simply because they've had to balance staff between 3DS and Wii U (particularly around 2010-2012) which has unfortunately hit them hard.

Smash is a great example - they basically coded two games from scratch.

Games are games. Not every game every publisher puts out is a huge one, but still spacing them out would have alleviated the issues. Would they all have been for everyone? God no, but they would have had no droughts

But yeah, the unified architecture is really going to help with examples like Smash. Sharing of engines and assets so easily will free up so much development time it's insane.

Thing is, while I agree it is a sound strategy, it didn't work out for the Cube. That thing launched at £130 and still struggled to keep up with the competition. Even when it got dropped by retailers and they were selling it for £40-50 it didn't help.

If they do the cheap route then they need another hook/gimmick that will get the general public on board. If it's something only Nintendo fans will buy then they are going to struggle again.

I think Nintendo is a lot more relevant nowadays than it was in the Gamecube era, mostly thanks to the big success of the Wii. But I agree it'll need a hook, I'm sure there'll be one.

I think Nintendo is a lot more relevant nowadays than it was in the Gamecube era, mostly thanks to the big success of the Wii. But I agree it'll need a hook, I'm sure there'll be one.

100% a game, get £5 eShop credit :p

So @Serebii when did he deny a hybrid? I remember him talking about OS but don't remember a denial

It does need a hook. being a portable able to play all the games on the tele well be it :)

Then for the next big round maybe they'll release a powerful home console, getting around the technicality of talking about two separate devices.

So @Serebii when did he deny a hybrid? I remember him talking about OS but don't remember a denial

It does need a hook. being a portable able to play all the games on the tele well be it :)

Then for the next big round maybe they'll release a powerful home console, getting around the technicality of talking about two separate devices.

In an investor meeting. I forget which one, probably all of them. He said it wouldn't be a hybrid and as @Goron_3 said, he even mentioned that the form factors could increase rather than be one hybrid.

I'm not sure what point a hybrid console would have unless it could also play 3DS games. A new handheld that plays Wii U software seems logical, but what would the selling point be a a hybrid that can play Wii U games, just buy a Wii U. Plus if the new handheld shifts 40 million units, which I'm sure it will with ease and they can repackage Wii U games, suddenly the 3rd parties will be back on board because all the Wii U games they made will suddenly start making them money. It will launch with the entire Wii U software library, surely the best launch lineup ever, plus no doubt Zelda.

I'd buy one.

In an investor meeting. I forget which one, probably all of them. He said it wouldn't be a hybrid and as @Goron_3 said, he even mentioned that the form factors could increase rather than be one hybrid.

You're the king of pulling quotes out. I'm pretty certain they never denied a hybrid. Talking about two new consoles does not deny a hybrid.

I'm not sure what point a hybrid console would have unless it could also play 3DS games. A new handheld that plays Wii U software seems logical, but what would the selling point be a a hybrid that can play Wii U games, just buy a Wii U. Plus if the new handheld shifts 40 million units, which I'm sure it will with ease and they can repackage Wii U games, suddenly the 3rd parties will be back on board because all the Wii U games they made will suddenly start making them money. It will launch with the entire Wii U software library, surely the best launch lineup ever, plus no doubt Zelda.

I'd buy one.

Haven't you just answered your own question? The fact is the wii u hasn't sold, so just buying a wii u isn't a viable option. If they could get the 50m 3DS owners to buy a wii u that could be something, if they could get the broader gaming public to buy the new handleld... the logic is they need a new device, handhelds are very popular but in uncertain ground. A think a hybrid makes the most sense and could be a good bet.

My personal ideal would be two consoles that work like iPhone and iPad. With the Home console being able to play ALL handheld games, some games designed for both. Home console really powerful, handheld like a wii/wii u. But I just cab;t see them releasing two, and playing it safe with just a handheld that hooks into the TV.

I can see it working with Wii U games too, digital only, my only sticking point is how are the games delivered? Handheld couldn't have disks, can't see them going digital only.

Japan-based Nintendo is planning to launch its next-generation games console in 2016 and has recently asked its supply chain partners to start pilot production in October, at the latest. The console will be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), but Pegatron Technology is aggressively trying to snatch some of the orders, according to sources familiar to the plan.

Pegatron and Foxconn both declined to comment.

Nintendo in March announced its plan of releasing Nintendo NX in 2016 and has started visiting its supply chain partners recently. The orders are expected to be finalized in February or March 2016 and mass production will start in May or June 2016, while the console's official launch may take place around July, the sources said.

Nintendo reportedly is looking to ship 20 million Nintendo NX in the first year. The shipment volume of Wii U is estimated at two million units in 2015, according to Digitimes Research.

Component suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, PixArt Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Electronics, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech, are also expected to land orders from Nintendo for the new console, the sources added.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

Not sure about this. Firstly launching in July? When has a platform ever been released in July?

20 mil in a year seems extremely high but that number suggests the NX will be a handheld rather than a console.

... yeah no.

Mass production wouldn't happen a month before a console launches, you're typically looking at lead time of about 4-6 months before a launch (and possibly longer than that even, should you fall afoul of yield problems).

Not to mention that Iwata said that the NX was due to be unveiled in 2016, not released that year. They always unveil a console/handheld around a year before its launch; meaning that the first NX machine isn't due until 2017 (probably March for the handheld; seeing as how the typical pattern goes by an E3 reveal, followed by a Feb/March release and then late 2017/early 2018 for the NX console)

Edited by Dcubed

... yeah no.

Mass production wouldn't happen a month before a console launches, you're typically looking at lead time of about 4-6 months before a launch.

Not to mention that Iwata said that the NX was due to be unveiled in 2016, not released that year. They always unveil a console/handheld around a year before its launch; meaning that the first NX machine isn't due until 2017 (probably March for the handheld; seeing as how the typical pattern goes by an E3 reveal, followed by a Feb/March release and then late 2017/early 2018 for the console)

Just because they've always released a year after announcing doesn't mean they will in this case. I think the point is they want this out asap. Plus if the console is a super cheap Wii U-based machine, it shouldn't need too much time.

Just because they've always released a year after announcing doesn't mean they will in this case. I think the point is they want this out asap. Plus if the console is a super cheap Wii U-based machine, it shouldn't need too much time.

It's not about whether or not they want it out quickly or not. It's a matter of R&D reality. Hardware and its accompanying software (games, firmware, SDKs etc) all take a very long time to make (and the man hours required to get these machines out of the door are only getting longer and longer). The whole reason why the New3DS exists is to buy them time while they get the new handheld successor ready after all.

Edited by Dcubed

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

Not sure about this. Firstly launching in July? When has a platform ever been released in July?

20 mil in a year seems extremely high but that number suggests the NX will be a handheld rather than a console.

I take it you didn't look at the previous page. :heh:

... yeah no.

Mass production wouldn't happen a month before a console launches, you're typically looking at lead time of about 4-6 months before a launch.

Not to mention that Iwata said that the NX was due to be unveiled in 2016, not released that year. They always unveil a console/handheld around a year before its launch; meaning that the first NX machine isn't due until 2017 (probably March for the handheld; seeing as how the typical pattern goes by an E3 reveal, followed by a Feb/March release and then late 2017/early 2018 for the NX console)

Who's to say that they won't announce it at the start of next year and have it ready for the Summer/Fall?

Iwata was hardly gonna come out and say that they are launching a new console in 2016 when he first mentioned the NX. It would kill are potential Wii U buyers interest and they are trying to get every penny out of that thing before shelving it.

Comparing what they done in the past and using that as a way of predicting what they will do with NX isn't a great way to try and see how things will play out. This isn't like launching a console because the thing has had it's time. They are having to launch in the middle of a generation.

That's the way i'm seeing it.

If it is indeed Wii U based, then any projects that were being made for the Wii U will probably be an easy switch to the new platform, so having the software ready shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, this is all speculation.

I take it you didn't look at the previous page. :heh:

Who's to say that they won't announce it at the start of next year and have it ready for the Summer/Fall?

Iwata was hardly gonna come out and say that they are launching a new console in 2016 when he first mentioned the NX. It would kill are potential Wii U buyers interest and they are trying to get every penny out of that thing before shelving it.

Comparing what they done in the past and using that as a way of predicting what they will do with NX isn't a great way to try and see how things will play out. This isn't like launching a console because the thing has had it's time. They are having to launch in the middle of a generation.

You don't seem to understand that they can't do what you're suggesting. Where does the manpower to make this hardware so quickly even come from? (They certainly haven't been going on a hiring spree as they haven't really increased in terms of company size at all). They only just started moving over software personel to this new project late last year/early this year when they restructured the hardware division. All while their software developers were knee deep in developing Wii U titles and the last big wave of 3DS software (plus starting mobile app development as well).

You're only just now starting to see them wind down on Wii U development; meaning that there's still a long time to go until they're gonna have any launch software ready for this new console and handheld (not to mention the hardware itself - which still needs plenty of time to cook; and that's on top of them starting developing Qol devices too).

What you're suggesting simply isn't feasible.

... yeah no.

Mass production wouldn't happen a month before a console launches, you're typically looking at lead time of about 4-6 months before a launch (and possibly longer than that even, should you fall afoul of yield problems).

I hope not. I think they should be looking to reveal Feb 2016. Show off E3 2016 release holiday 2016.

Official translated NX questions from Shareholder meeting

I have the impression that the launches of the two systems, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, were consecutive failures. Nintendo 3DS seemed to recover after the hardware markdown and the availability of a wide selection of third-party software. As for Wii U, the situation does not look so good. I have the same concern for the launch of the new NX. What measures are you taking to avoid the same mistakes? Also, please comment on your collaborative relationships with third parties from whom you currently lack support.

A 3

Iwata:

The situation for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U is in line with what you mentioned. For Wii U in particular, it cannot be said that it had a successful launch. As for Nintendo 3DS, in Japan there was a temporary slowdown but we managed to make a recovery by offering a number of initiatives collectively. On the other hand, Wii U has not been able to recover at this point in time. Because of this, the size of the installed base compared to the Nintendo DS or Wii eras appears not to be as solid and this is reflected in the company’s profitability. But taking a look back, it was not the case that Nintendo DS sold with huge momentum from the beginning. When it first started to lose momentum, we offered a number of titles from a new genre, such as “nintendogs” or “Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day,” and these titles were widely accepted even by those who had never played video games in the past. This sequence of events led to a very large business. The platform business can sometimes be referred to as a “momentum business.” Thus, it is ideal to have a jump start and drive momentum. Looking back at some of Nintendo’s past platforms, this ideal launch has been achieved 100 percent by perhaps only Wii. Even the Nintendo DS launch had areas in which we could have done better. I cannot disagree with your indication that Wii U is experiencing the most unfavorable situation.

Since the word “NX” has been mentioned, please let me elaborate. When Nintendo announced the collaboration with DeNA on March 17 of this year, I mentioned that Nintendo is currently developing a new dedicated video game system codenamed “NX.” The reason I mentioned this was, at that time, there were more than a certain number of people that thought that Nintendo would give up on the dedicated game system business and concentrate on smart device application development, or that Nintendo should take that path. In addition, such tone could be seen frequently through the media. I felt it was necessary to communicate that Nintendo is not pessimistic about the future of the dedicated game system business but rather more and more eager to continue it. On the other hand, details on the new platform essentially should come later. This is because the entertainment business has an aspect where there is value in surprising consumers. It is not convincing enough to the consumer if we describe how the magic works before actually showing it to them and then expecting them to be surprised or delighted. Having the element of surprise or doing the unexpected is the premise for introducing new ideas and having them welcomed with surprise. That is why I have been repeatedly saying that the next news on NX will not be announced during 2015 but will be announced in 2016. Nevertheless, since NX has news value, when I am interviewed on various occasions, I am asked about it almost every time. I will not share details on NX today but with regard to the launch of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U not necessarily having progressed well and not acquiring sufficient support from software publishers, we intend to offer NX through a Nintendo-like solution. Thank you for understanding that we are making various considerations and preparations in order to avoid what happened with the previous generations.

On a different note, I believe the standard for software publishers in selecting what hardware to provide their games for is the installed base after all. The larger the installed base or the more it is believed that the installed base will largely expand, there is an aspect that more software publishers are likely to join in. On the other hand, Nintendo is collaborating with various software publishers. At E3, which was held in the U.S. and is the largest trade show in the video game industry, we received many proposals for joint initiatives. In addition, Japanese software publishers have close relationships with our licensing department on a regular basis. As for collaborations with software publishers or their games, please consider that there are various ongoing projects below the surface.

Q 7

As a game fan, I am particularly concerned about how the new hardware NX will differ from Wii U and if Wii U games will continue to be released after its launch. Please comment on what will happen.

A 7

Iwata:

As I mentioned earlier, I cannot speak about the details of NX today. If I mention every detail of what we are newly thinking, it could be persuasive but it could also give other companies the opportunity to come up with counterplans or implement the ideas that they find interesting. There may also be the possibility that it will spoil the sense of surprise for consumers. Of course these factors are all against the interest of the entire company and they would ultimately harm the interest of our shareholders, so we appreciate your understanding in this respect.

Regarding your concern about what will happen to Wii U or what will happen to Nintendo 3DS, NX is a new platform, so the installed base will have to be built up from zero. When NX is launched, there already will be a certain volume of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U hardware widely existing in the market, so from a software business perspective, it would be highly inefficient to stop releasing titles for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U right after the launch of NX. Therefore, while we are preparing NX for the future, we are discussing within our internal development teams as well as with the second-party developers we co-develop software with and also with third-party software publishers about how to continue creating software for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. So, I believe that your point of concern should not happen immediately. As for Wii U, we will continue to make efforts, as it is a priority within the company to think about how we can satisfy the consumers who purchased this system to the maximum extent possible.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/150626qa/index.html

'I will not share details on NX today but with regard to the launch of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U not necessarily having progressed well and not acquiring sufficient support from software publishers, we intend to offer NX through a Nintendo-like solution. Thank you for understanding that we are making various considerations and preparations in order to avoid what happened with the previous generations.'

Wut.

'I will not share details on NX today but with regard to the launch of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U not necessarily having progressed well and not acquiring sufficient support from software publishers, we intend to offer NX through a Nintendo-like solution. Thank you for understanding that we are making various considerations and preparations in order to avoid what happened with the previous generations.'

Wut.

Probably means trying to fix something that isn't broken in the first place.

Wut.

Distracting us with shiny things to try and hide a barren lineup :p

You don't seem to understand that they can't do what you're suggesting. Where does the manpower to make this hardware so quickly even come from?

If they make a handheld based on the Wii U, but make it a Wii U mini... well just place the gamepad on top of your Wii U and you should see my point. A screen and battery are already incorporated, add in a low power consumption lower volume version of the Wii U hardware (certain parts can be scrapped, such as USB/wireless connection for the gamepad both in the gamepad and wii U etc).

New handheld. Because the system architecture hasn't been hugely altered, less manpower required. In fact, if it is a Wii U + it comes with digital library of all existing Wii U games.

Allow NNID game ownership to follow from Wii U to WiiDS and all Wii U owners have their library of Wii U games on the go, along with the new WiiDS library.

So it is feasible. It would also do Nintendo some good... the Wii U could have a 10 year (ish) life span, first as a home console, then as the handheld.

and cut scenes... ZZZzzzzzzzz

I don't remember that may cut scenes from Spider-man...