NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Ubisoft on Nintendo hardware is nothing to shout about given their history of thoughts on Nintendo and their fans...

August 26, 2007 - The development and subsequent sales success of casual games on Nintendo's Wii and DS is an "extremely profitable" business for Ubisoft, according to the company's CEO Yves Guillemot, who told Reuters at the Games Convention in Leipzig last week that these games help to finance the costly development of games for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

Guillemot explained that the development of casual games costs anywhere from 1 million euros to 4 million, depending on how many platforms they're being created for. By comparison, a normal Wii game costs about 5 to 10 million euros, while an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 one costs from 10 million to 20 million.

Casual games are expected to contribute 20% of Ubisoft's revenue this year, which is up 10% on last year. Meanwhile, the entire games industry is attracting many more customers which are, according to Guillemot, "going to grow the market tremendously. I expect the market to grow by 50 percent in the next four years," he said, concluding, "It's a very exciting time for all the developers and publishers."

Ubisoft says “Nintendo customers don’t buy Assassin’s Creed”

Ubisoft is releasing two Assassin’s Creed games this year, but Wii U isn’t getting either of them. Wondering why this is the case?

While speaking with Game Informer at Gamescom last week, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot explained:

“It’s very simple. What we see is that Nintendo customers don’t buy Assassin’s Creed. Last year, we sold in very small numbers.”

Guillemot also spoke about Ubisoft’s shift in focus on Wii U:

“What we see is that they are very interested in Just Dance, very interested by other kinds of games. So what we are trying to do is to focus more on the types of games they are interested in.”

And what of Watch Dogs, which has long been planned for Nintendo’s console? Fortunately, Guillemot once again confirmed that it’s still in the pipeline:

“[Watch Dogs] is coming to Wii U. It will be the only mature game we publish on it.”

They make cheap, iterative party games (Just Dance, Rabbids etc) on Nintendo platforms to fund their ambitious projects on the competition.

Edited by Kav

more and more reports are suggesting an early October reveal, which suggests Nintendo are going to announce it less than 48 hours before the event (much like a direct). Where is the logic in this approach? Surely they want to give people as much time as possible to prepare for this.

I've become so frustrated at the complete lack of information that I'm actually losing interest in the bloody thing.

I'm just hoping they don't announce it on the 3rd or 4th as I'm in Greece!

To be excited or think anything of this Ubisoft view/statement seems strange to me - this just feels exactly the same as the Wii U did. If anything that naturally actually makes me more worried of seeing history completely repeat itself again and the NX be as much of a flop as the Wii U has been. I'm really hoping it *won't* be the case but I just feel like we've seen Nintendo repeat the same mistakes over and over that it's almost to be expected now :/

Edited by Rummy

I just dug these out from the Wii U reveal.

Man, some of the things they say are flat out hilarious. They really talk a lot of rubbish.

Like I said earlier, talk is cheap. I don't wanna see another video like these during the NX reveal, with them prattling on about how amazing the console is. Show us the games and let us be the judge as to whether you are really on board or not.

Like I said earlier, talk is cheap. I don't wanna see another video like these during the NX reveal, with them prattling on about how amazing the console is. Show us the games and let us be the judge as to whether you are really on board or not.

Absolutely agree. Make something good enough that it speaks for itself with very little need for exaggeration. I hope in line with the same, as I said before, that they'll be honest and upfront about delays etc. and just tell it like it is, acknowledging the current frustration of the fans.

I see people are speculating (wishing) for news tomorrow as Nintendo were founded on Sept 23rd 1889.

I wish too!

Whenever the reveal, I just hope Nintendo don't repeat their mistakes.

To be excited or think anything of this Ubisoft view/statement seems strange to me - this just feels exactly the same as the Wii U did. If anything that naturally actually makes me more worried of seeing history completely repeat itself again and the NX be as much of a flop as the Wii U has been. I'm really hoping it *won't* be the case but I just feel like we've seen Nintendo repeat the same mistakes over and over that it's almost to be expected now :/

To play the optimist for a moment, surely Ubisoft's support for the NX in the wake of the failure of the Wii U is a good sign?

It is insane how magnified every comment is becoming though, Neogaf and the NX sub-reddit are so hungry for NX news that anything anybody says is poured over for hours and hours. It's such an unhealthy way to go about things, but I guess it's the world we live in now.

This tweet from Nintendo is almost 5 months old...

[tweet]725221813081522176[/tweet]

Why the fuck did they even bother? They've said absolutely zip since!

How not to announce a console!!!

To play the optimist for a moment, surely Ubisoft's support for the NX in the wake of the failure of the Wii U is a good sign?

It is insane how magnified every comment is becoming though, Neogaf and the NX sub-reddit are so hungry for NX news that anything anybody says is poured over for hours and hours. It's such an unhealthy way to go about things, but I guess it's the world we live in now.

Not sure I know what you mean

NE.png

TBF that treatment has been going on for a fair few generations now and Nintendo hasn't really shown anyone that they have changed or are trying to fix that beta position they're in with regards to receiving 3rd party games.

We can only assume the NX will get the same treatment if we're being realistic.

The only saving grace would be if the 1st party supply is piping hot as rumoured - it then might generate the sort of demand for the NX that will naturally make third parties pay attention. But really, until Nintendo are willing to put some money on the table - we wont be seeing PS4/XB1 third exclusives anytime soon.

Edited by King_V

Oh yeah, I mean it's possibly quite good but it's just so much of an echo of the Wii U - moreso really because it's Ubisoft again(v.enthusiastic about it, as already mentioned by others, aiming to support etc). I could probably tell you the same things they're telling you - but will it really count for anything when it all comes down to it?

It just all feels a little bit too familiar, but I'm hoping as much as I can that it won't actually end up continuing to be so.

This tweet from Nintendo is almost 5 months old...

[tweet]725221813081522176[/tweet]

Why the fuck did they even bother? They've said absolutely zip since!

How not to announce a console!!!

..and yet the NX has been discussed on a daily basis without any concrete information in that time!

There's a part of me that's going to miss this lunacy.. :grin:

It's almost definitely a spin-off. You're mental if you think a new Gen mainline game is happening a year after Sun/Moon.

A new Stadium game isn't completely off-the-cards, what with the models in the 3DS being very detailed for the sake of future-proofing. (Cue @Serebii getting that very detailed Machamp picture) But I feel like that series has run it's course, what with the main selling point, seeing your Pokemon in 3D, nullified.

As much as I want it to, it won't be a new Mystery Dungeon game, Super Mystery Dungeon just came out. And something gives me the impression that the Ranger series might have dropped off the face of the earth after not making a 3DS appearance.

So my guesses would be a new Pokemon Rumble game (Think I just threw up in my mouth a little...), some kind of special edition of Pokken, or something completely new.

Yeah. A new Stadium game won't be necessary on NX, as it's also the new handheld.

Also, the image as requested

CetCrlG.png

Edited by Serebii

Let's face it. Most of the Pokémon spin off games aren't "necessary" ;)

To who?

Pokémon Shuffle has been downloaded over 17 million times.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games have experiences over 20 million units sold.

Pokémon Ranger and PokéPark games routinely topped 1 million units sold.

Pokkén has topped 1 million units sold.

Detective Pikachu has sired a movie.

The Pokémon Rumble series has had ridiculous levels of success.

Pokémon Art Academy seems to have been the only one this past generation that hasn't done well.

Your premise is flawed.

I'd have to agree on some level though, the only ones I have any real desire to play are the rest of the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon titles. (and rightly so) ;)

Plus of course Pokémon Snap is fun... :hehe:

...and the mini-games on Stadium... :D

...Pokémon Trading Card game on the GBC is pretty cool... :blush:

...oh and Pokémon Puzzle League on the N64. :)

Nevermind. :red:

To who?

Pokémon Shuffle has been downloaded over 17 million times.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games have experiences over 20 million units sold.

Pokémon Ranger and PokéPark games routinely topped 1 million units sold.

Pokkén has topped 1 million units sold.

Detective Pikachu has sired a movie.

The Pokémon Rumble series has had ridiculous levels of success.

Pokémon Art Academy seems to have been the only one this past generation that hasn't done well.

Your premise is flawed.

My premise was a joke. One I've made a number of times. How do you not get this yet?

(And I see you didn't mention Dash so we can all agree that's awful)

My premise was a joke. One I've made a number of times. How do you not get this yet?

(And I see you didn't mention Dash so we can all agree that's awful)

I want a proper Dash sequel. No touch screen bullshit, make it like the races in PokéPark

I'd rather get intimate with a meat tenderiser than revisit Dash over Snap but each their own.

Well this is a little more assuring from Yves Guillemot:

"It's difficult to answer that [before NX is revealed]. What we see is that Nintendo has learned from the Wii U. All publishers learn from what they do, and then come with something new and more attractive, which I think is the case here."

...but given that he said he thought the WiiU was going to be a success, it's still not to be taken too strongly as reason for hype in my eyes.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/22/nintendo-nx-fantastic-will-offer-different-experience-to-other-consoles-ubisoft-ceo

Edited by Kav

..and yet the NX has been discussed on a daily basis without any concrete information in that time!

There's a part of me that's going to miss this lunacy.. :grin:

Nintendo must be loving it. Unbelievable hype, mystery and speculation and they've barely had to say two words about the thing. How to hype a console launch up.

The problem is if it backfires that's one huge furore ready to unleash. It's counter intuitive but the longer they're silent the bigger the disappointment if something is not what people expect. Silence is a void and that void is being filled with rumours rather than facts. That could come crashing down.

Or it might be fine. Literally nobody knows :heh:

Nintendo must be loving it. Unbelievable hype, mystery and speculation and they've barely had to say two words about the thing. How to hype a console launch up.

It'll pay off.

If the reveal doesen't suck.

The problem is if it backfires that's one huge furore ready to unleash. It's counter intuitive but the longer they're silent the bigger the disappointment if something is not what people expect. Silence is a void and that void is being filled with rumours rather than facts. That could come crashing down.

Or it might be fine. Literally nobody knows :heh:

Yup. I was saying the same thing to Lostmario just yesterday.

People really need to keep their expectations in check. The NX threads on Gaf are an embarrassment at times, what with people having crazy dreams about what the thing actually is going to be.

I've said it before, people are foaming at the mouth for some news purely because they've got sod all else to do or look forward to. If the Wii U had plenty of games to keep people entertained with then I imagine most would be too busy enjoying them. Instead people are twiddling their thumbs and searching the internet constantly for a sniff of news.

If the NX doesn't live up to the hype that has been falsely created then there are going to be a lot of angry and disappointed people. I think my expectations are so low that it's gonna take something shockingly bad to rock my boat. :D

Well this is a little more assuring from Yves Guillemot:

...but given that he said he thought the WiiU was going to be a success, it's still not to be taken too strongly as reason for hype in my eyes.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/22/nintendo-nx-fantastic-will-offer-different-experience-to-other-consoles-ubisoft-ceo

Well I do have to agree that's somewhat re-assuring, but I still really struggle to believe it will come to fruition as envisioned just because I feel there's been such letdown in the past. In the positive though I think having had Ubisoft/Yves involved so much with Wii U when it was coming it gives a lot more weighting to his words, I just hope it's going to turn out true and good for us - this console could be more powerful than a PS4 and XBone put together, but if the online infrastructure isn't there to an acceptable level I probably wouldn't even touch it with a stick. I foresee the only exception to that for me is if it's absolutely banging as a handheld with a decent amount of content on it.

Meanwhile, in other news...

NX_Stairs_500.gif

Edited by Rummy