NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Obviously that first part is absolutely true - I don't know why this positive/negative thing constantly gets brought up.

I think your Pikmin 3 point kinda goes with my points to raise something that I recall came up before - too much franchise fatigue and sequel-itis. You can't have a Pikmin 3 without it immediately being looked at in terms of possibly Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 and what they've done, compared to what it's done with itself since.

Absolutely man - safe plays and franchise fatigue.

But also sometimes a lack of continuity; Pikmin 2 for example had a multiplayer mode and Pikmin 3 didn't - I don't get this. The logical thing to do with sequels IMO is to improve upon everything that was previously done. That two steps forward, one step back mentality plagues Nintendo - why??

Anyhow, I'll try to remain optimistic with the NX whilst being slightly pissed with each passing day this month with no reveal... I had a dream last few nights ago about a 1080 NX, playing online matches at home and then taking it on a plane working on a course/board/player editor and doing that single-player trick mode...:weep:

Pikmin 3 had local multiplayer... but there were no strides in improving it.

MK8's multiplayer was a step back from MKWii though.

Oh yes! The Bingo game, my bad - completely missed it.

But there were other things in the game that made it seem 'lesser than' its predecessor, in terms of overall length and depth - the cave systems and the point of bringing the president to the planet in Pikmin 2 just made the single player experience feel longer.

My point is some Nintendo sequels don't always parry off of its prequel.

Edited by King_V

Since when does every sequel need to be revolutionary and/or re-invent the wheel? If anything Nintendo are well ahead in that dept, regardless of occasional games this gen.

I thought Pikmin 3 was fantastic and clearly the best in the series. Ditto, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, not bad for a supposed failed console.

Since when does every sequel need to be revolutionary and/or re-invent the wheel? If anything Nintendo are well ahead in that dept, regardless of occasional games this gen.

I thought Pikmin 3 was fantastic and clearly the best in the series. Ditto, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, not bad for a supposed failed console.

When a sequel comes almost 10 years later, people expect it to have a pretty big leap, at least to have modern features expected in games today. No-one's asking for it to re-invent the wheel. You're claiming people have said things they really haven't!

And for all the moaning about people not accepting positivity, you're the one who keeps saying "supposed failed console". Not the rest. You've got a real chip on your shoulder about it!

Kav, Rummy, King V etc are just saying how things could be better! This is a discussion forum! Everyone acknowledges Nintendo have made some great games. But this forum would be pretty boring if there was no discussion to be had about them other than "yes, they're great!"

But this forum would be pretty boring if there was no discussion to be had about them other than "yes, they're great!"

And pages and pages of "god Nintendo are so stupid, why doesn't this clearly local multiplayer game have online" etc isn't boring? Rummy was the one suggesting their games this gen weren't revolutionary. It's all a sadly predictable reaction from one article daring to be positive about the Wii U and Nintendo.

...why doesn't this clearly local multiplayer game have online"...

It's a train of thought like this why you'll never understand.

It's such a daft thing to say Ronnie.

There's no real difference, gameplay wise, between local and online, the reason for online to be included in multiplayer is so that one can play with friends when said friends aren't available local. It's broadening the audience, player-base and will inherently garner the game more game-time. Online is a boon!

Edited by Kav

I think @Ronnie is over exaggerating the negative reactions a tad. You ever considered that it's predictable because there's a grain of truth behind it?

On the other hand, I agree with the notion of some of those games being the best those series had to offer.

Smash 4 is astonishing in it's lineup and gameplay, but I'm not gonna deny some things were questionable, I missed the Brawl Adventure Mode something fierce.

Mario Kart 8 may not have as many online options as Wii, but it's safe to say that the actual racing gameplay is WAY better than Wii.

Pikmin 3 is the only Pikmin game I actually enjoyed, so for me, that's a no-brainer. And while @King_V likes the cave system in 2 for it's adding to game length, I hated it for that exact reason. What one person sees as a positive, could be an absolute turn-off for someone else. (And being a PMD fan, I've had my fair experience of that)

I also think that Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario game Nintendo have produced, but I'm clearly in the minority on that. It may not be the most adventurous or innovative, but in terms of gameplay and polish, it was fantastic IMO.

MK8's multiplayer was a step back from MKWii though.

WHAT?!?!?! WHAT!?!?!?!?!??! Bingo Battle is one of the greatest multiplayer modes in existence!!

Pretty much what @Mr\-Paul said, but Pikmin is a PRIME game I don't want them inventing the wheel on - keep the gameplay mechanics as is forever! But that doesn't mean, for example, they couldn't add NEW locations that weren't featured in the original, or bigger environs, or a dynamic weather system etc.

Its not about re-inventing but building upon the foundations set previously.

As for this not-at-all-an-NX-discussion, if people are saying Pikmin 3 and such don't do enough and mario maker Splatoon and Nintendoland are maybe the only ones offering new stuff, I think this is a problem with the whole industry. I can't think of any names on any system that you couldn't level the same criticisms at, I'd say mobile and indies are the ones trying new things the most. Personally it doesn't bother me too much if I love the game (Pikmin 3 is one of my favourite games of all time for example), but pretty much all games now feel like stuff we'be played before.

Pretty much what @Mr\-Paul said, but Pikmin is a PRIME game I don't want them inventing the wheel on - keep the gameplay mechanics as is forever! But that doesn't mean, for example, they couldn't add NEW locations that weren't featured in the original, or bigger environs, or a dynamic weather system etc.

Its not about re-inventing but building upon the foundations set previously.

But I think pikmin does do this - mission mode and bingo battle are great, the character switching and flying pikmin add a lot too. It's a perfect sequel for me, well, it would be if multiplayer was online....

Pikmin 3 is the only Pikmin game I actually enjoyed, so for me, that's a no-brainer. And while @King_V likes the cave system in 2 for it's adding to game length, I hated it for that exact reason. What one person sees as a positive, could be an absolute turn-off for someone else. (And being a PMD fan, I've had my fair experience of that)

Fair enough, I can understand some caves were perhaps overly long and random. But with Pikmin 1 being so short and limited by time, I welcomed experiencing more of the beautiful game play.

What didn't you like about them?

But I think pikmin does do this - mission mode and bingo battle are great, the character switching and flying pikmin add a lot too. It's a perfect sequel for me, well, it would be if multiplayer was online....

Certainly flying Pikmin was a glorius addition (and the rock ones), but with the time it took between this and 2, I expected a bit more especially with the main campaign being shorter (and slightly easier).

I mean the more I remember the game the more I don't want to slander its good name - its a great game, my favourite on the WiiU - but I think in todays day omission of an online mode in favour of a local multiplayer mode feels a bit archaic* and its a shame that I have this nagging gripe about one of my favourite games.

With Pikmin 2 for example, being a product of its time - I have nothing bad to say about it and never will.

(*Especially with the WiiU, having chiefly a one gamepad per console set-up)

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

Fair enough, I can understand some caves were perhaps overly long and random. But with Pikmin 1 being so short and limited by time, I welcomed experiencing more of the beautiful game play.

What didn't you like about them?

1 problem I had was the general difficulty and harshness those caves had. It was far too easy to get completely destroyed and be utterly screwed. It was more frustrating than fun to me.

It also was part of the main problem I had. Pikmin 2 just dragged on too long. It's why I liked Pikmin 3, it got the length right for me, while not being as restrictive as Pikmin 1. It struck a nice balance and the amount of multi-tasking the Gamepad provided helped to make you feel more efficient.

I dunno, I'd have to ask why if they've been such good games for this generation that the majority of them haven't managed to keep me interested past a few hours. The only one I find truly fresh for this generation was probably Splatoon(>100 hours). Even Smash for me didn't live up to its predecessors for reasons I'm still not sure if I can quite place - something was lost between Brawl and 4 I think. I'd say Mario Maker's the next up for mixing things up more than the others(barring Splatoon) but even then the stupid item/tool wall they put in assuming everyone was a Mario noob made me stop caring for the game.

Smash had a very weak single player mode. fewer fighters and a more fleshed out adventure mode would have been a better move. For me that single player "story" made me invest in the players and was the foundation for my enjoyment of the multiplayer. With that stripped away I had no interest in engaging with the game. I'm glad my nephews enjoy the game, otherwise tbh it would have been a complete waste of my money.

Splatoon and MK8 have been good fun, but mostly due to this place... mario maker lost me when they cut me off from my nephews levels.... but prior to that I quite liked it.

I can't really say best of the generation though because I haven't touched most games this gen!

Since when does every sequel need to be revolutionary and/or re-invent the wheel?

If only Nintendo repeated this mantra when designing their new consoles.

WHAT?!?!?! WHAT!?!?!?!?!??! Bingo Battle is one of the greatest multiplayer modes in existence!!

Would have been great if I could have played it with you (or anyone for that matter).

Would have been great if I could have played it with you (or anyone for that matter).

True. Painfully true. When Pikmin 4 was said to be close I had hope of online bingo battle... then it turned out to be a side scrolling 3DS game :) (still looks great though)

GAF getting carried away after rumours started circulating that representatives for major retailers are going to Nintendo's European HQ in Germany for a meeting.

Best response so far:

Z8hbhna.gif

If only Nintendo repeated this mantra when designing their new consoles.

Yes, what failures the Wii, DS and 3DS were.

GAF getting carried away after rumours started circulating that representatives for major retailers are going to Nintendo's European HQ in Germany for a meeting.

Best response so far:

Z8hbhna.gif

"You may see the console if you give us at least 7 bays in your stores like you used to"

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pokemon-...tem-1474371834

“The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device,” said Mr. Ishihara. “We will make games for the NX.”

Will this stop those who think the gaming media have been making it all up now.

As a fan of The Nightmare Before Christmas, this hits all the right spots for me. :D

Absolutely brilliant :D

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pokemon-...tem-1474371834

Will this stop those who think the gaming media have been making it all up now.

It's crazy that it's the first solid piece of news we've had about the NX for a long time, and it's just a passing quote.

People connecting this with rumours that we'd get a Pokemon game in 2017 and jumping to the conclusion that it'll be a full fledged RPG which would obviously be ridiculous so soon after Sun & Moon.

For those of you who are more aware of the wider Pokemon franchise, what sort of Pokemon game do you expect will be first out on the NX? Is there a chance of a new Stadium style game, or would it be less substantial than that?

Also there are rumours of a reveal on October 4th, but now Google are unveiling their new Pixel phones on the same day, Nintendo can't avoid other press conferences.

Edited by killthenet