NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

And dear lord plonk it all on there at once, stop dragging it out for years after each new console.

We've already seen King Boo in MK Switch, as well as characters being able to hold 2 items, new tracks have also been rumoured from the leakers, so it looks like there will be some kind of new content, how much is anyone's guess though. In Splatoon we've seen new character designs and a new map, so it seems like that is getting new content as well, but again it depends on the scale of this new content. If Splatoon will be (as rumoured) a pack-in with the system, then I suppose this discussion is fairly redundant as early adopters will be getting it anyway. If they are going down the 8.5 route as opposed to the Mario Kart 9 one for the system's lifespan, then I expect we'll see a healthy amount of bi-annual or annual DLC on top of a huge base game, in which case I'll probably buy it.

OK, so that's what "pack-in" means :D. I really didn't know that :).

I am targeting it for launch, but I doubt that I will be able to buy it, as I have to buy it abroad.

And dear lord plonk it all on there at once, stop dragging it out for years after each new console.

From a business perspective, if it's all there day one doesn't that risk people buying a few titles day one and then forgetting about the rest day two onwards?

Everything that is available on Wii U should be on Switch day one, but for the rest i'd accept a title or two weekly.

From a business perspective, if it's all there day one doesn't that risk people buying a few titles day one and then forgetting about the rest day two onwards?

Everything that is available on Wii U should be on Switch day one, but for the rest i'd accept a title or two weekly.

Why would people "forget" what's available? When they're done with the games they currently have, or get some more money they'll go to the shelf/look online and those launch games will still be there.

But hasn't the whole idea of the VC essentially been this:

"Any new games this week, Nintendo?"

"Yep, Super Ghouls and Ghosts!"

"...K, cool. Next week?"

"Look, Urban Champion. 'Member that?"

"Yeaaah, I 'member. When's the next 3D Mario title coming out then?"

"....Super Mario..."

"Yeah....?"

"World..."

"I'm listening!!"

"2: Yoshi's Island will be dropping next week on VC!"

"Oh... When are we getting Destiny?"

"Look! Clu Clu Land! 'Member?"

-"Well I was going to buy a PS4, but now you drop THIS bombshell on me" (Said 10 million people).

-"I'm out" (Said 40 million)

But how do we get a discount if we want a physical copy? How do I prove that I have the game and that the game is mine

Maybe a check to see if you downloaded the DLC/updates?

If you have it, you must also have the game itself no?

I presumed he meant all the stuff on Wii U there day 1, new stiff drip-fed as always. If he didn't mean it, that's what I think they should do.

Getting a little worried with the Switch line up, just a tad, worried Nintendo are just going to try and forget the Wii U exists and port everything over to it... I guess when you're gunning for 50+m people the 10m who bought the wii u aren't as important...

But then people could just buy a bit of DLC to "fool" Nintendo....

I think if they're serious about it, which they should be, then send your copy into Nintendo...

AHEM!

Me and my Hyrule Warriors WiiU and Mario Kart 8 DLC would like a word with you.

Geez, if it was anyone else, I wouldn't gripe, but they're YOUR games I use!

Getting a little worried with the Switch line up, just a tad, worried Nintendo are just going to try and forget the Wii U exists and port everything over to it... I guess when you're gunning for 50+m people the 10m who bought the wii u aren't as important...

Woo! Someone finally understands how I feel about Sun/Moon!

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

But hasn't the whole idea of the VC essentially been this:

"Any new games this week, Nintendo?"

"Yep, Super Ghouls and Ghosts!"

"...K, cool. Next week?"

"Look, Urban Champion. 'Member that?"

"Yeaaah, I 'member. When's the next 3D Mario title coming out then?"

"....Super Mario..."

"Yeah....?"

"World..."

"I'm listening!!"

"2: Yoshi's Island will be dropping next week on VC!"

"Oh... When are we getting Destiny?"

"Look! Clu Clu Land! 'Member?"

-"Well I was going to buy a PS4, but now you drop THIS bombshell on me" (Said 10 million people).

-"I'm out" (Said 40 million)

I seriously hope noone at Nintendo thought that.

I completely agree that the Switch VC shouldn't be a freaking reset. Basically, the Switch VC should be upgraded to emulate games as well as the NES Mini, all games available for Wii U should be available for the Switch from day one and upgrading from Wii U to Switch should be free of charge.

Basically, VC should do for future Nintendo consoles what Steam does for PC, only with older content.

I think if they're serious about it, which they should be, then send your copy into Nintendo...

But what's stopping people from getting a second-hand copy purely to get a shiny new Switch version for cheap!

But what's stopping people from getting a second-hand copy purely to get a shiny new Switch version for cheap!

Can you show me these cheap copies of Wii U games? Every shop I have been in the best games are usually always £30 minimum.

So, the best thing would be for them to price it less and just take the hit for the new players. At the end it's only few games.

Literally around 60-70% of all Wii U owners own a copy of MK8 (and that's not an exaggeration, that's the actual attach rate!) and it's around 40% for Splatoon IIRC.

I don't think Nintendo will care all that much if a few people abuse the system, since the grand majority already own these games proper anyway. If they're gonna do it for disc copies (it could well be digital discounts only, who knows?) that seems like the most sensible way to do it to me.

Can you show me these cheap copies of Wii U games? Every shop I have been in the best games are usually always £30 minimum.

Still cheaper than buying a shiny new Switch game outright.

You're just splitting hairs.

Guys... Activity log. Nintendo can see if you have these games. They can see if you play them. They can probably even tell it it's the same copy as someone on your friend list.

And so can our government now I assume, but they probably won't be offering reduced Switch titles.

Still cheaper than buying a shiny new Switch game outright.

You're just splitting hairs.

Nah I'm really not because supposing you get a discount for sending it in, you'll still be paying like £30+ for a preowned Wii U game, then whatever the discount price is. And before you counter that, I find it very unlikely Nintendo will give it you for free for sending a game to them. That will just cost them more money to process all these games being sent to them while making no money back in return. Just no way.

Don't see them ever running such a thing anyway. Nintendo will happily charge again I think. More likely any ports will just be a bit cheaper than new games. Or just the same price, because you know, 'screw them' :heh:

Edited by Sheikah

Nah I'm really not because supposing you get a discount for sending it in, you'll still be paying like £30+ for a preowned Wii U game, then whatever the discount price is. And before you counter that, I find it very unlikely Nintendo will give it you for free for sending a game to them. That will just cost them more money to process all these games being sent to them while making no money back in return. Just no way.

Don't see them ever running such a thing anyway. Nintendo will happily charge again I think. More likely any ports will just be a bit cheaper than new games. Or just the same price, because you know, 'screw them' :heh:

Hmmm, yeah, fair enough. I was assuming that it'd be a free upgrade.

Also, your second paragraph is pretty much how I feel. It's very unlikely that they'll give out a discount.

I was going to say what sheikah said. Let's see what Nintendo do, not expecting it, I'll buy all the games again anyway, but think it'll sour a lot of people, yet if they do itlll go a long way to appeasing Wii u owners, and also give them an amazing reason to upgrade to switch.

I'm a little concerned with that list. It seems that the Switch is Wii U 2.0, with ports being a big focus of the line up. Granted there is probably more games on the horizon than we know about but it still seems a little off. Even Laura Dale said this...

My main Switch launch year concern is how much is on offer for players who owned both a Wii U and 3DS before.

This has certainly got alarm bells ringing in my head.

To be honest I am a little annoyed by this rumoured line up. I bought a Wii U at launch and have supported Nintendo through these rough times by buying their games. I feel my support is being given the middle finger in the hope that they can attract new gamers to the Switch. Looking around various forums i'm certainly not alone in feeling this. It seems Nintendo are looking to slightly burn those 14 million people in the hope that they can grab a lot more.

On the upside, if you never owned a Wii U and are interested in the Switch then it's a shockingly good line up and one that should carry the console well for the first year. Again, only for those who have never experienced these games before.

I can see why Nintendo may be doing this though. From a business standpoint it makes sense to try and get these games on a console that potentially could have a high user base. The problem is, what if this doesn't work? If the Switch fails to grab a bigger audience than the Wii U ( highly unlikely, I know ) then Nintendo will be once again left with only the core Nintendo fans, most of which have probably bought and played through these games before.

I'm also left wondering just who has been doing the work on these ports? I'm really hoping it's none of the main teams. Maybe Tantalus or Monster Games have stepped up for some of them? If the main teams have been left to sort these ports out then we could be looking at a longer wait than anticipated for the newer experiences.

There's certainly a lot of questions to be answered come January. Will there be discounts for those who have already invested in these games? ( Probably not ) Are these the only main games that Nintendo will offer in the first year of the Switch or are these filler games that will help bulk up the new games software library? Which teams have been working on these ports? Interesting times ahead.

@Hero\-of\-Time I've been saying the same thing; I mean new Zelda and Mario is incredible for the first 6 months or whatever, but it would be really annoying having to pay full price for slightly better versions of all those games.... And actually even with a discount we've still played them all before.

Maybe, bizarrely, third parties will fill the gap :)

@Hero\-of\-Time I've been saying the same thing; I mean new Zelda and Mario is incredible for the first 6 months or whatever, but it would be really annoying having to pay full price for slightly better versions of all those games.... And actually even with a discount we've still played them all before.

Maybe, bizarrely, third parties will fill the gap :)

The problem with the party games is how they run and what they offer. If 3rd party games are ones that I have already played on the PS4, come out the same time and run worse, or have borked online functions then these will be a bust for me. I think the only 3rd party games I will likely pick up on the Switch are ones that are exclusive.

While I do appreciate that you will be able to have these games both as a console game and a handheld game, I can't see them running as good as they do on the PS4 or Xbox. Plus, I gotta keep my trophy count going. :D

The problem with the party games is how they run and what they offer. If 3rd party games are ones that I have already played on the PS4, come out the same time and run worse, or have borked online functions then these will be a bust for me. I think the only 3rd party games I will likely pick up on the Switch are ones that are exclusive.

While I do appreciate that you will be able to have these games both as a console game and a handheld game, I can't see them running as good as they do on the PS4 or Xbox. Plus, I gotta keep my trophy count going. :D

But what if Switch has its own achievements? You can start all over again!!!

...There's certainly a lot of questions to be answered come January. Will there be discounts for those who have already invested in these games? ( Probably not ) Are these the only main games that Nintendo will offer in the first year of the Switch or are these filler games that will help bulk up the new games software library? Which teams have been working on these ports? Interesting times ahead.

All very much my own thoughts that I've had before. I've come at NX/Switch quite sceptical after the WiiU but the information we've been getting is turning me more in its favour and I'm starting to think it really could be viable in a way they didn't manage with the WiiU.

Of course, I also said the same of the WiiU and eventually got suckered in(albeit not straight away) and I do regret that somewhat now. I think I'm currently quietly optimistic but prepared for it to not be quite all I want. I'm definitely still not sure if this is definitely going to be a purchase for me yet, and certainly not looking likely for launch day unless that Mario is just some killer title I HAVE to have.

I completely agree that the Switch VC shouldn't be a freaking reset. Basically, the Switch VC should be upgraded to emulate games as well as the NES Mini, all games available for Wii U should be available for the Switch from day one and upgrading from Wii U to Switch should be free of charge.

Basically, VC should do for future Nintendo consoles what Steam does for PC, only with older content.

I think Nintendo should look towards adopting a paid online model as the competition does - and if you're subscribed to said online then you are able to access the back catalogue of titles. Sure, sell them as standalone downloads etc - but giving people an option to play any of their back catalogue as part of the nominal online fee would be a good shout imo. Also encourages more people to embrace online - somewhere they've not always been as active in previously. Maybe draw lines around it - so only to SNES or N64 games; or maybe add small premiums for certain titles. IE you're paying £3-4 a month or so for online maybe, but you can 'buy' the games you want access to for small amounts - like less than £1 a piece but like PS+ titles you can only access them whilst also still having an active online subscription etc.

Edited by Rummy

I'm thinking more and more about a paid subscription, still free online. But a paid one that adds in Party Chat, and if not free games, then at least discounts on VC games each month.

I'm thinking more and more about a paid subscription, still free online. But a paid one that adds in Party Chat, and if not free games, then at least discounts on VC games each month.

I still think party chat won't be a thing on the Switch. I look at the Switch video and I see a company still pushing for those local multiplayer experiences. With it also being a handheld, I can't see Nintendo being bothered about online functionality and features that much.