N-Europe

Tales from the Borderlands

Sméagol

I´m going to keep this short, but I thought it was fantastic. Well, episode one was fantastic anyway. Bought the game immediately, unlike Game of Thrones, because unlike Game of Thrones, I´m not that bothered about spoilers (I haven´t played Borderlands 2 (yet)).

Gameplay is exactly the same as Walking Dead. You click on things, you choose your dialogue, and there´s the occasional QTE. To be honest, if season 2 of The Walking Dead disappointed you, I´m not sure if this is for you. It is longer than the average S2 Walking Dead episode (I think I spent 3 hours playing it), but I don´t know if they will keep that up for the next episodes. I don´t think there will be incredibly deviating storybranches (but again, this is only ep 1). Dialogue changes minor things so far. The difference between this and Walking Dead is (for me anyway), in The Walking Dead I just stuck with the one canon playthrough. I played my way, and wasn't that interested in other variations. This game however, is absolutely hilarious. I´ll definitely go play this again to see the other responses. The dialogue is great, and the expressions are great. Story looks to be great. And that´s why you play a Telltale game anyway.

Edited by Sméagol

I´m going to keep this short, but I thought it was fantastic. Well, episode one was fantastic anyway. Bought the game immediately, unlike Game of Thrones, because unlike Game of Thrones, I´m not that bothered about spoilers (I haven´t played Borderlands 2 (yet)).

Gameplay is exactly the same as Walking Dead. You click on things, you choose your dialogue, and there´s the occasional QTE. To be honest, if season 2 of The Walking Dead disappointed you, I´m not sure if this is for you. It is longer than the average S2 Walking Dead episode (I think I spent 3 hours playing it), but I don´t know if they will keep that up for the next episodes. I don´t think there will be incredibly deviating storybranches (but again, this is only ep 1). Dialogue changes minor things so far. The difference between this and Walking Dead is (for me anyway), in The Walking Dead I just stuck with the one canon playthrough. I played my way, and wasn't that interested in other variations. This game however, is absolutely hilarious. I´ll definitely go play this again to see the other responses. The dialogue is great, and the expressions are great. Story looks to be great. And that´s why you play a Telltale game anyway.

I bought both and have started neither...due to spoilers. So So close to the end of Borderlands 2 (went back to from ages ago, on the last mission) and I'm racing through Game of Thrones having stopped during Season 1. Now half way through Season 2.

• 5 months later...

This game has been great. The writing and the voice acting are just amazing. If I wasn't such a Game of thrones fan, I think I'd say this is the better game, but I enjoy both equally, That said, the tones of both games are worlds apart obviously.. I must say though, this is the only Telltale game that I've started a 2nd playthough. Not because this game is an exception to other Telltale games where choices actually matter (and provide branching storylines), because that isn't the case. It's about the same. But some lines are just so hilarious, and sometimes multiple options lead to different hilarious responses, so I really wanted to check them out. For example, I completely missed "Greaseface" in my canon playthrough, as my Rhys was pretty polite.. So I just needed to start a 2nd playthough with a cockier Rhys.

Choices:

It's been while, but I'll try to remember thought processes.

Major Fiona choices:

- Grabbed August's hand? I'm confident I didn't, but maybe that was in the 2nd playthrough.

- Didn't invite Shade. Yeah, that got him killed.. Well, he freaked me out, didn't want him near me, haha.

- Warned Felix. Still consider him family. Plus you know, blown up money is no good to anyone.

- Purchased the Steve mask. Didn't to spend any money.

Major Rhys choices:

- Told Loaderbot to evacuate. Well of course, is this really an option? I will name my firstborn, Loaderbot. He's just too cool.

- Didn't trust Sasha at that point. I'm not giving her my toys.

- Chose Vaughn. Can't remember what this means, I guess it's when Vasques contact you, and offers you a deal. But Vaugh is and will always be my bro, bro.

- Picked the shield and grenades, apparently not a popular choice.

Other choices: the site only gives you your latest choices (from my 2nd playthrough in this case), so I don't know for sure.

- Stayed polite with Rudiger aka Greaseface.

- Used a mindblowing speach.

- With the Stranger, I used the option that combined the other 3 options.

- Can't remember what I told Vasquess when he demoted me.

- Can't remember what I told Tector, but probably told him I was a VIP.

- I remembered the story Sasha told me.

Major Fiona choices:

- Told Sasha to help Rhys.

- Did not customize the van. Didn't have the money for the best option, didn't want to spend money on the other options.

- Did not peek at Sasha's gift.

- Used a shock bullet. I thought that would paralyse him, that's what my gaming experience tells me.

Major Rhys choices:

- Told Vaughn about Handsome Jack. Because he's my bro.

- Chose to go to Hollowpoint. To be a family!

- Brofisted Vaughn. Because he's my bro.

- Trusted Fiona. Not letting Handsome Jack take over my body!

Other choices:

- Told Sasha we'd leave Pandora some day.

- Stuck with Sasha during the chase.

- Forgot what I told Handsome Jack about his death

- Never felt so alive as well! Because Vaughn is my bro.

- Can't remember my first comment on Vaughns buff body.

- Asked Vasques about his trouble with the gun (I think).

- Hacked Vasques' car.

- Of course the bro's will be allright after a night alone on Pandora!

- Did not take the endorsement deal.

Some great moments:

Edited by Sméagol

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Played through till then end of episode 3 with my girlfriend. It feels a little more obvious that you're following a pre-determined path, and in general took a while to get into, not being familiar with anything borderlands related.

But - loving it now! Real funny game. Felt like a right old chump when

Sasha falls to her death... only for the camera to pan out and see a meter high fall. Hilarious / excellently done.

Got wassername to kill Vasquez, which I'm now slightly regretting - definitely a better character than the ginger one. Hey ho

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halfway through Episode 4 now. Still awesome. (Love Handsome Jack's line "you're the only one running pal, I can fly!").

However, i wonder how different the story can be depending on your actions.

In Episode 1, i stopped LoaderBot from self-destructing, and since hen he's been incredibly useful, and in almost every scene. I presume that if you tell him to self-destruct, he somehow comes back anyway? I don't see how they could do some of the later scenes (like the chase through the jungle after Gordys) without him...

Just made me think that maybe there are small deviations, but the main plot still ends up being mostly the same...

Just made me think that maybe there are small deviations, but the main plot still ends up being mostly the same...

Yeah, the main plot still stays the same. All the Telltale games are like this. Certain scenes may play out a little differently or a character may or may not be available to you at certain points but the ending will pretty much be the same in everybodys game, no matter what choices were made.

Halfway through Episode 4 now. Still awesome. (Love Handsome Jack's line "you're the only one running pal, I can fly!").

However, i wonder how different the story can be depending on your actions.

In Episode 1, i stopped LoaderBot from self-destructing, and since hen he's been incredibly useful, and in almost every scene. I presume that if you tell him to self-destruct, he somehow comes back anyway? I don't see how they could do some of the later scenes (like the chase through the jungle after Gordys) without him...

He does come back, but he'll be pissed.

He does come back' date=' but he'll be pissed.

[/quote']

But he's a major character in Episode 3. I wonder how it all plays out if he's pissed at you...

I'm clearly going to have to play this more than once aren't I...