NEurope
RedShell

Wii U save data. Where do you keep yours?

Where do you store your Wii U save data?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you store your Wii U save data?

• All on System Memory
    • All on External HDD
    • All on Both (copied data)
    • On Both (mixed data)

Those that check out the Hyrule Warriors thread have probably seen that I had some trouble getting the recent update/DLC to install on my Wii U, and I've come to the conclusion that standby functions don't work correctly with data stored on the Wii U's system memory. :blank: It seems that for people who store their save data on an external HDD, the update was automatic, but anyone who saved their data on the system memory needed to manually update. :shakehead

So yeah, I'm now thinking about moving or copying some of my save data to the external HDD (like MK8 and Hyrule Warriors) to see if the next batch of DLC installs automatically. ::shrug:

At the moment I have my saves (for physical retail games) on the system memory, and almost all of my DD/eShop stuff (bar MK8 and SMK) on external HDD.

Anyway, just curious as to how everyone else on N-E goes about storing their save data, so if you're a Wii U owner then please take part in the poll. Would be great if people could post whether they've had any problems with standby functions based on where they save their data too, as I'm not completely certain about it. So if anyone has successfully received automatic software updates via the Wii U system memory, then please let us know!

: peace:

At the moment I have my saves (for physical retail games) on the system memory, and almost all of my DD/eShop stuff (bar MK8 and SMK) on external HDD.

Do you manually move them other every time you get a new save?

I'm not particularly keen on downloading 'retail' games onto the system as I'd rather have the physical copy, so I have all my save data on the Wii U console at this time. I would love to believe that I'll get through the entire lifecycle of the console this way, but due to the limited space this may not be possible in the end. I really don't want to have to buy an external hard drive, though :hmm:

If I was stuck, I'd be more likely to upgrade the Wii U to a newer model with more space, something which is surely bound to happen over the next couple of years ::shrug:

For physical copies of games, my save data is put onto the Wii U system memory. Everything else is on my external HDD. I did find out that now your allowed 2 HDD it is possible to back-up all your data. I had an old HDD knocking around and use it to back-up all my data, games and save data, every few months just in case. It takes an age to do, so I let it run overnight.

Do you manually move them other every time you get a new save?
The majority of saves on my system memory started out there, as I didn't have a HDD until quite recently.

I've manually moved a couple to the system memory since getting a HDD though, but now I'll probably just copy the data (for some titles) instead.

It's such a shame we can't separate save data from software/patch data. :(

Everything on HDD.

I have a basic Wii U, so is physically impossible for me to store, well... anything :heh: on my system.

But I wouldn't want too. The HDD I have is 1TB, so more than enough for me. I haven't had any problems with my system downloading anything, but in all honesty I haven't paid attention to updates being downloaded automatically. I don't even know if I have them set to do so, or if there is even am option!

I'm more of a 'put the game in, download the update when prompted' type guy. :laughing:

Although I do often hear my HDD whirr of a night and the Wii U light is orange, so it's probably doing something! : peace:

I have an 8gb Wii U and keep the save and update data for physical games on my Wii U in case I ever disconnect my USB stick and forget to plug it back in I won't have to wonder where all my save data has gone.

I have everything on a HDD and I've had no problems with the Wii U auto downloading update data ::shrug:

All on system memory.

I don't own many WiiU games. I just borrow off of @Dcubed.

I buy games when I can afford them.

Should also point that I always manually download updates and DLC due to not having an internet connection.

Everything on HDD.

I haven't had any problems with my system downloading anything

I have everything on a HDD and I've had no problems with the Wii U auto downloading update data ::shrug:
Just to clarify, the problem appears to be if you have save data on the system memory, not on a HDD.

So far it seems that everyone using an external HDD gets automatic updates as intended, but those of us with save data on the actual system memory have to manually update software. :hmm:

Very strange. You'd think it would work with either option. In fact, I'd expect it to work better with the system memory. :wtf::blank:

I'm a system memory man, sorry I can't help with any advice. Gonna probably need a HDD when N64 and GameCube titles make an appearance... Sorry. If they make an appearance.

I've now copied all of my retail game save data to the HDD, and also copied over my eShop version of MK8.

When you copy data it gives you this message:

If the same software data is saved to both the system memory and a USB storage device, the data on the USB storage device will be used.

Interesting. :heh: But at least this way if my HDD goes tits up I'll still have completed/recent save data on the system memory as a backup. And if my Wii U breaks I'll have a useless backup in the form of my HDD. :indeed:

Such a bizarre system Nintendo have got going with save data on the Wii U, really hope they can sort things out for the next system.

If cloud storage isn't an option then we should at the very least be able to easily backup and (more importantly) restore our saves using a USB device.

I must say for all of its faults at least the save system on the Wii was simple, save on console or SD card, easily transferable between machines unless it was something like Monster Hunter, with no fuss. :)

Mind you the Gamecube was even better, those memory cards, still got all my saves on them. :awesome:

I have some stuff stored on the system memory, and some on the hard drive, most things on the hard drive. I've never had a problem with stuff downloading and installing and such!

Mine is all on the System at present, may move it to a HDD one of these days. I kind of wish Nintendo would do Cloud saves like Sony and Microsoft do, would be handy if there were any cross platform games on WiiU and 3DS (like Monster Hunter for example). Would save having to transfer the entire save to another system.

Such a bizarre system Nintendo have got going with save data on the Wii U, really hope they can sort things out for the next system.

If cloud storage isn't an option then we should at the very least be able to easily backup and (more importantly) restore our saves using a USB device.

Quite! I don't/haven't used any external storage for my Wii U so far - not a big fan of the system or downloadable over physical so haven't turned down that road yet - hoping to stay off it as long as possible too!

I must say for all of its faults at least the save system on the Wii was simple, save on console or SD card, easily transferable between machines unless it was something like Monster Hunter, with no fuss. :)

Mind you the Gamecube was even better, those memory cards, still got all my saves on them. :awesome:

Yeaaaaaaaah! Except for Brawl, that wasn't transferrable and I couldn't recall why exactly. Was a minor shame when first playing it between houses as some of us would have different rosters available etc. and also meant you couldn't back up a copy of it. Memory card was excellent for that, both transferrability and backing up.

Yeaaaaaaaah! Except for Brawl, that wasn't transferrable and I couldn't recall why exactly. Was a minor shame when first playing it between houses as some of us would have different rosters available etc. and also meant you couldn't back up a copy of it. Memory card was excellent for that, both transferrability and backing up.

Any (most?) games that had online couldn't be transferred. They stored your Friend Code/online info in the save file so they didn't allow you moving it because it was tied to the console if I remember right.