NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 29/08/2014 - 12pm

Different things matter to different people.

Just saying, it sounds like Sheikah wants the new model to be the 3DS successor, which is a bit silly.

So sounds like they improved the wireless (wireless N?)? Should be useful for games like Dragon Quest X.

Different things matter to different people.

Of course. But the OS of both the Wii U and 3DS are almost universally deemed as crap on here - then when Nintendo does something about it, its 'not that useful' and then theres something else. :hmm:

What exactly is wrong with the current screen resolution? If they do invest in higher screen res then obviously it will be for a new console... (#mooooaning)

It's too damn low. Going to the 3DS after playing around with my phone is brutal. That's when you really notice how shitty the resolution is.

See I've never had a problem with the resolution personally. I use an original model though, which is slightly better screen wise for obvious reasons. Would I like the resolution increasing? Sure! But when games like Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus look as good as they do, imma shut my mouth and embrace. :heh:

So to make the OS faster, downloads faster etc. is "a lot less useful" than just increasing the resolution, causing issues with all legacy games and creating a divide between game developments?

Ok.

Correct. Faster downloads and OS is nice, but given we spend 99% of our time actually playing games I'd rather have a noticeable improvement 99% of the time than 1%. Plus, the XL really fucking needs it. And there's no reason why the beefing up of the system for resolution purposes wouldn't have an effect on the OS, too.

Some bollocks-but-not-really-bollocks statistics there, because I know you love statistics.

Also, they've already made a divide doing this (New 3DS only games). With my proposal, everyone can still play the games, just the New 3DS owners can do so at higher resolution.

Of course. But the OS of both the Wii U and 3DS are almost universally deemed as crap on here - then when Nintendo does something about it, its 'not that useful' and then theres something else. :hmm:

Out of interest, when playing games on 3DS how often do you go into the OS and do something else? Don't most people surely either just select their games, or open their device and resume playing from where they left off?

I'm sure there will be people who use every feature and defy what seems like the average user's routine here, but to say that this is more worthy than a resolution bump seems a bit nuts.

Edited by Sheikah

:woops:

Screenshot%202014-08-30%20at%2016.16.08.png

I was going to get the white regular model to try it out, but they must have sold out mid-checkout. Debating if I should just get the regular in black, but I do like the XL's larger screens...

Edit: wait, there isn't a while LL model is there?

Edited by Ike

Another thing, in Japan the New 3DS XL is 18,800 yen. That converts to under €140. Will that be the price here or anything like it here in Europe? To borrow a well used gif.

YnqZZgi.gif

Not a hope. You can add another €100 on top of that. Ridiculous.

And I'm putting this image in to warn ye all before Serebii comes in to defend his best friend/lover.

m9xgL4F.gif

Another thing, in Japan the New 3DS XL is 18,800 yen. That converts to under €140. Will that be the price here or anything like it here in Europe? To borrow a well used gif.

YnqZZgi.gif

Not a hope. You can add another €100 on top of that. Ridiculous.

And I'm putting this image in to warn ye all before Serebii comes in to defend his best friend/lover.

m9xgL4F.gif

18800 Yen is the same price as Nintendo 3DS XLs in Japan. There is no price increase. As such, logically, you can expect the new 3DS XL to come to Europe with the same RRP the 3DS XL has now

The 3DS LL I bought in Japan last year converted to roughly just under £120. Bargain. No wonder the thing isn't region free ;)

18800 Yen is the same price as Nintendo 3DS XLs in Japan. There is no price increase. As such, logically, you can expect the new 3DS XL to come to Europe with the same RRP the 3DS XL has now

€250. Do you think that's fair? What justifies a €110 difference?

It isn't that high. 3DS XLs have the RRP of €199.99

The RRPs are €169.99 for normal and €199.99 for XL for Europe, and £149.99 and £199.99 for the UK (although often £170 or less).

It isn't that high. 3DS XLs have the RRP of €199.99

There's nowhere in Ireland for €200. The cheapest the new Smash Bros. 3DS XL in Ireland is €250 in Smyths and €260 in Gamestop. Other XL models with no game are €225. You still haven't answered if by some chance there was one for €200, is it a fair price?

The RRPs are €169.99 for normal and €199.99 for XL for Europe, and £149.99 and £199.99 for the UK (although often £170 or less).

Well that's just more evidence then that we in Ireland are ripped off.

Harvey Norman have them for €220. That's the cheapest.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

m9xgL4F.gif

I have no idea what you're on about half the time :P

Must be the Irish accent.

That makes 2 of us. :p

we always get ripped off in europe so i fully expect it to release at a whoppingly over inflated price

@Serebii You still haven't answered if you think the price difference is fair? What's the justification?

@Serebii You still haven't answered if you think the price difference is fair? What's the justification?

Again, different economies. Everything is like this, not just Nintendo and not just games. Get over it.

The regular is £120 and the XL £132 on Play Asia. Looks like they've sold out now.

So sounds like they improved the wireless (wireless N?)? Should be useful for games like Dragon Quest X.

Supposedly it's still 2.4ghz B/G. The faster download speeds supposedly come courtesy of the faster CPU...

Either way, DQX is just a normal 3DS game (and isn't even really a game, since it's just a cloud streaming app anyway), so it wouldn't actually be able to benefit from any New3DS functions regardless.

Ironically, the New3DS probably has enough grunt to run the game natively now anyway :p

Edited by Dcubed

They're enhanced, not exclusive

Ahh, so it's just people posting nonsense then. STILL...we all remember N64 Perfect Dark and the expansion pack. It wasn't necessary, was it? It just enhanced the game. Yet was barely worth owning without it, and the framerate was horrendous even with it. Enhanced or not, this could spell bad things for "just normal 3DS" owners. Though honestly, I predict only 1st party Nintendo will support it, and some 2nd party stuff. But when you consider those are the games most Nintendo owners buy their consoles for... I'm not really worried as I'll likely upgrade now. I want the SNES like buttons one...but I want an XL. I'm just glad I didn't splash out for the last XL model like I keep contemplating on.

I'm not really worried as I'll likely upgrade now. I want the SNES like buttons one...but I want an XL. I'm just glad I didn't splash out for the last XL model like I keep contemplating on.

Exactly the same for me, I want those SNES style buttons, but on an XL.

I almost bought an 3DS XL to replace my day one 3DS, then in came the Smash edition, almost preordered it, in comes the NEW 3DS XL.....

Well played Nintendo, well played...

Just one problem, I need to be patient...:blank:

Supposedly it's still 2.4ghz B/G. The faster download speeds supposedly come courtesy of the faster CPU...

Either way, DQX is just a normal 3DS game (and isn't even really a game, since it's just a cloud streaming app anyway), so it wouldn't actually be able to benefit from any New3DS functions regardless.

Ironically, the New3DS probably has enough grunt to run the game natively now anyway :p

Fantasy Life, Disney Magical World, Pokemon Alpha, Curtain Call, Bravely Second, Smash Bros, MH4U, Final Fantasy Explorers... I don't think I could cope if DQX 3DS came to the UK within the next year. All I need is for them to announce DQX, DQ7, DQM1&2, Rune Factory 4...and I think I'd explode. I'm not sure I can cope with all the 100+ hour games that are coming out as it is.