NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

I'm also gutted Colin is leaving Kinda Funny. It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here and I've enjoyed the interviews he has given to non-gaming outlets. I hope he pursues a career in this kind of stuff because he is an interesting character, and while we may not agree on a lot, I'm always willing to give him a listen as a fellow student of history. The hate he's been getting is ridiculous, but kudos to him for putting himself out there, it takes a lot to do that and some kind of backlash is always inevitable.

As for Jim Sterling, I'm sure he's reveling in all this attention he's garnered. And fair play to him. I don't agree with his review on Zelda, at all, but he knows how to push people's buttons and he's once again highlighting a sour and destructive part of gaming and fanboyism in general. Thank god for him.

I've said it a few times, although some of His content was fantastic. He comes across as staggeringly obnoxious and superior; seemed completely different to the rest of those guys, which could be argued is a good thing, but just felt out of place to me and put me off watching their stuff. The fact he created a show called "Colin was right" says it all - he just thinks he's better and more intelligent than aeveryone else. Shame because like I say some of what he had to say was great.

What is it about his political views? Heard people says he right wing. But don't know any details whatsoever.

PS Jim is another obnoxious, click baiting, vile "persona". I don't get why he feels it's great to be quite such a cunt. It's close to being a funny character and again, decent content, but the cunt-news overtakes everything. Shame.

With Colin leaving Kinda Funny/PS I Love You, i've been looking for a new podcast to listen to. Seeing as I enjoy the EZA weekly podcast I decided to give Frametrap a listen. I've just finished the latest episode and I love it. I probably like it more than the regular one.

I love listening to Ben whenever he is on the normal podcast, so having him as host of this one is a winner. It was a long podcast which meant there was time for plenty of discussion and banter between the guys. Yup, this could be a winner.

I'm gonna have to start dropping episodes of the EZA podcast and FrameTrap whenever Ian is on them. I was listening to the latest episode of FT last week and the amount of times Ian says "like" and "you know" is just ridiculous. I've noticed he has an effect on other members as well and they start saying it more whenever he is on. It got to the point where I was close to turning the thing off. :shakehead

I'm gonna have to start dropping episodes of the EZA podcast and FrameTrap whenever Ian is on them. I was listening to the latest episode of FT last week and the amount of times Ian says "like" and "you know" is just ridiculous. I've noticed he has an effect on other members as well and they start saying it more whenever he is on. It got to the point where I was close to turning the thing off. :shakehead

I'm sure after you've pointed it out I'll start noticing it more but I can't say it's something that has bothered me :smile:

I actually quite like Ian. His taste in games may not align with mine (in fact, the constant praise of Dark Souls and Bloodborne throughout the group borders on irritating, to me :indeed:) but I like that he openly doesn't care about a lot of the major releases due to them not appealing to him as I feel similarly about a lot of games that are released. I certainly haven't been joining in with the adoration the start of 2017 has garnered in terms of quality gaming releases as I don't find myself bothered with the likes of Nier, Persona and whatever else.

Overall, I, like, love the variety of tastes and opinions on the EZA podcast, you know..? : peace:

I'm sure after you've pointed it out I'll start noticing it more but I can't say it's something that has bothered me :smile:

I actually quite like Ian. His taste in games may not align with mine (in fact, the constant praise of Dark Souls and Bloodborne throughout the group borders on irritating, to me :indeed:) but I like that he openly doesn't care about a lot of the major releases due to them not appealing to him as I feel similarly about a lot of games that are released. I certainly haven't been joining in with the adoration the start of 2017 has garnered in terms of quality gaming releases as I don't find myself bothered with the likes of Nier, Persona and whatever else.

Overall, I, like, love the variety of tastes and opinions on the EZA podcast, you know..? : peace:

Even before I noticed this I wasn't the biggest fan of Ian. I think he's probably the weakest of the EZA purely for the reason you stated. His gaming tastes are very limited and I find he doesn't bring much to the conversation when a variety of games are being discussed. The same goes for Damiani, who I really dislike. The guy is such a fanboy and i've got no time for that kind of thing.

Out of all the Allies I think both Ben and Huber and the best when it comes to gaming talk. Both have a wide ranging taste in games, are well spoken and get their points across in a meaningful way.

I see Kinda Funny Games have announced Andrea Rene and Danny O'Dwyer will be joining them for a daily morning games show. I dont tend to watch a lot of Kinda Funny's stuff but Danny O'Dwyer is always someone I enjoy watching/listening to (mainly when he would appear on a lot of Giant Bomb stuff) so I'll probably have to check it out. Andrea Rene I've only ever really known through John Drake (her husband, ex Harmonix now working at Sony) but I was already planning on listening to the new podcast Whats Good Games with her and a few other industry women so I'm sure I'll check out her days on this new show as well.

I see Kinda Funny Games have announced Andrea Rene and Danny O'Dwyer will be joining them for a daily morning games show. I dont tend to watch a lot of Kinda Funny's stuff but Danny O'Dwyer is always someone I enjoy watching/listening to (mainly when he would appear on a lot of Giant Bomb stuff) so I'll probably have to check it out. Andrea Rene I've only ever really known through John Drake (her husband, ex Harmonix now working at Sony) but I was already planning on listening to the new podcast Whats Good Games with her and a few other industry women so I'm sure I'll check out her days on this new show as well.

It will be interesting to see if this helps pick the brand up a bit. Their subscribers and Patreon payments took a nosedive when Colin left and they've not recovered. I also stopped listening to the shows once he left.

I was never particularly fond of Kinda Funny as the swearing was always too prominent and unnecessary but I did listen to it for a few weeks after I bought a PS4. I haven't bothered with it at all recently, though, so it'll be interesting to see if a slight refresh can get me to listen again!

As for Easy Allies, I agree that Ben and Huber are the strongest while Kyle toes the line between humorous and slightly irritating these days. I'm not so keen on Damiana either but Bloodworth is frustrating. I constantly feel like I want him to break out of his shell and the E3 betting special should help with that but I fear he may lower the entertainment of it by not fully embracing the vibe.

Those old ones with Huber and Bosman were hilarious :grin:

I was never particularly fond of Kinda Funny as the swearing was always too prominent and unnecessary but I did listen to it for a few weeks after I bought a PS4. I haven't bothered with it at all recently, though, so it'll be interesting to see if a slight refresh can get me to listen again!

As for Easy Allies, I agree that Ben and Huber are the strongest while Kyle toes the line between humorous and slightly irritating these days. I'm not so keen on Damiana either but Bloodworth is frustrating. I constantly feel like I want him to break out of his shell and the E3 betting special should help with that but I fear he may lower the entertainment of it by not fully embracing the vibe.

Those old ones with Huber and Bosman were hilarious :grin:

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing about Blood last year after he won the bets. Like you, I'm hoping he embraces the craziness of the event. The guy constantly sounds like he's high. :D

I can't wait for the E3 betting special. I'm not hyped for E3 at all so I'm hoping this will help me get in the mood. There's speculation that Huber and Kyle may be a special match for the event, while Blood and Brad will be the main event.

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing about Blood last year after he won the bets. Like you, I'm hoping he embraces the craziness of the event. The guy constantly sounds like he's high. :D

I can't wait for the E3 betting special. I'm not hyped for E3 at all so I'm hoping this will help me get in the mood. There's speculation that Huber and Kyle may be a special match for the event, while Blood and Brad will be the main event.

E3 bets is honestly one of the things I look forward to most throughout the entire event! Have they mentioned when it's happening? I think we need Ultima to win and for Punished Huber to win the right to challenge him next time :grin:

Will Cold Blooded reveal himself?

E3 bets is honestly one of the things I look forward to most throughout the entire event! Have they mentioned when it's happening? I think we need Ultima to win and for Punished Huber to win the right to challenge him next time :grin:

Will Cold Blooded reveal himself?

I've not heard anything but it has to be next week. E3 starts next weekend so the betting special should be happening soon.

Punished Huber is amazing, as is Brand Manager. :D

I've not heard anything but it has to be next week. E3 starts next weekend so the betting special should be happening soon.

Punished Huber is amazing, as is Brand Manager. :D

Bloodworth responded to my tweet to say they're shooting on Wednesday and it'll be up before EA on Saturday :hehe:

@Hero\-of\-Time @nekunando

Thanks for this ( get it posted in the E3 thread ). Gonna grab some snacks and sit down and enjoy the show. :D

Anyone else catch any of the Easy Allies Easy Livin' weekend? I had it on in the background on Saturday, while I was playing Pikmin, and they were playing Mario Sunshine. It was absolutely hilarious watching them trying to grab various shines, especially the ones where you couldn't use Fludd. There was a section where Kyle just refused to give up and Damiani kept laughing his back off every time Kyle was close to the end but fluffed the final few jumps. :D

I see the Mario Sunshine section was on for around 10 hours, so I think i'll continue where I left off and have it on in the background while playing Miitopia. I'll be interested to see just how many Shines they nabbed before finishing the game and how many deaths they racked up on their journey towards the end. 

There is also an F-Zero GX segment that last for over an hour. I will no doubt have a look at that at some point as well. Apparently they played that while Bloodworth was asleep. I bet he wasn't happy about that. 

Also, check out this amazing comeback by Kyle when they played Tekken 7

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpicyTransparentButterRickroll

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I wonder why Mario Sunshine seems to suddenly become a thing again. Giant Bomb East are currently do a series with it as well.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I wonder why Mario Sunshine seems to suddenly become a thing again. Giant Bomb East are currently do a series with it as well.

Strangely, Radio Free Nintendo picked it for their Retro Active game this month, as well. Although, that has been on the cards for a while now. I assuming EZA just started their 50 hour stream with it because its the summer and they were at a beach house. Still, yeah, it is a bit weird that they are all playing it at around the same time.

I gave this a watch over the weekend.

Ben's final bet is absolutely hilarious. :D

Spoiler

Sega apologies but they don't say what for. I honestly burst out laughing over this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I gave this a watch over the weekend.

Ben's final bet is absolutely hilarious. :D

Hide contents

Sega apologies but they don't say what for. I honestly burst out laughing over this.

I watched it yesterday while my wife and I ate lunch but I'm pretty sure she had no idea why I found it so funny :grin: The fact that Ben kept adding to the bet made it even better, somehow surpassing even Huber's outlandish bet!

• Like 2

The RFN Podcast was a short, but as good as usual.  With the debate of Square-Enix trying to test the validity/capability of bringing Final Fantasy XV to the Switch, I was always in the yes camp, let's do it.  The way James talked about the PS4 version of the game this week makes me realise we're missing nothing much really.  Wow, did he slate it.  The so called open-world seems reminiscent of Skyward Sword.  Gated/Barred oases in a game that self-drives you to your destination.  With extremely buggy fighting and AI.  High production values to hide a game without any discernible merit in its approach to gameplay.  Scathing indeed.

39 minutes ago, londragon said:

The RFN Podcast was a short, but as good as usual.  With the debate of Square-Enix trying to test the validity/capability of bringing Final Fantasy XV to the Switch, I was always in the yes camp, let's do it.  The way James talked about the PS4 version of the game this week makes me realise we're missing nothing much really.  Wow, did he slate it.  The so called open-world seems reminiscent of Skyward Sword.  Gated/Barred oases in a game that self-drives you to your destination.  With extremely buggy fighting and AI.  High production values to hide a game without any discernible merit in its approach to gameplay.  Scathing indeed.

Having played and finished it last year, I do think he was a little harsh. However, the game isn't great. It has it's moments but you can tell the game went through development hell.

While I enjoyed the movie and anime series, this should not be a requirement when it comes to understanding a games story. The story of FFXV is a mess to start with, without adding all of the other things into the mix. The fact that they keep updating the game to add story elements just shows how they dropped the ball with the narrative.

This weeks episode felt like it was just Greg. I think he talked about Metroid for around 40 mins without anyone else really having much input. :D

Last week was hilarious, when Jon was sat playing Metroid while on the podcast. :laughing:

• Like 1

When Jon is on form, as he was last week, he is hilarious. I laughed a lot last week. And yes, Greg did go on for quite a bit, and cut people off, too. Not one for@Dazzybee who has an aversion to the guy. Haha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

I actually don’t mind him and think he knows his stuff, but he has to have an opinion on everything and doesn’t let people express themselves.... I stopped listening months and months ago, maybe 6. Has he got better?