NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

He was disinterested in hell of a lot, but due to his slight jittery voice I'll put it down to nerves, let's see if it'll get better over time. Not a disaster, but definite room for improvement.

Great banter from the RFN guys this week. The Viewtiful Joe segment gave me the urge to unpack the GameCube and fire it up. I think the last time I played through it was back in 2003 when it launched.

Could you guys give me a couple of links/sites for the main postcasts you listen to?

With GT Time gone and the IGN crew having little to talk about I'm missing a good gaming/Nintendo podcast.

Could you guys give me a couple of links/sites for the main postcasts you listen to?

With GT Time gone and the IGN crew having little to talk about I'm missing a good gaming/Nintendo podcast.

For Nintendo stuff I find that RadioFreeNintendo/NintendoWorldReport are the kings.

It's Nintendo focused but they aren't fanboys at all.

HERE

For Playstation stuff I listen to Colin and Greg/PS I LOVE YOU XOXO

HERE

HERE

This is ran by the two ex-IGN Playstation guys. They used to host BEYOND on IGN but got sick of working for them and decided to split off on their own.

For general gaming banter I listen to the Giant Bombcast.

HERE

It took me a while to get into this own, simply because they waffle on about random stuff all the time. I eventually learned to love them though. :D

I listen to Nintendo Voice Chat and Beyond at IGN but those aren't as good as the counter parts I posted above.

@dazzybee, @londragon, @Goron_3 (not sure if you still listen to this ) this weeks episode of Radio Free Nintendo is up. They've released an hour version today that discusses the Nintendo Direct and then on Sunday they will be releasing a 2 hour episode which will be their Xenoblade spoilercast.

@Hero\-of\-Time I still listen every week. Stuck with it since Jonny's departure, and now James has settled in, all's good again. Well, maybe Greg can be a big mouth sometimes, but John and Gui are hilarious when they're on form. I'll be listening to both those this week, even though I need to get back into Xeno X.

@dazzybee, @londragon, @Goron_3 (not sure if you still listen to this ) this weeks episode of Radio Free Nintendo is up. They've released an hour version today that discusses the Nintendo Direct and then on Sunday they will be releasing a 2 hour episode which will be their Xenoblade spoilercast.

Yeah listened to the first half on the way to work this morning. I'm liking it again now after an iffy start when Johnny left.

Greg was a big mouth, but always liked him and his input a lot, but I feel the past few weeks he's not quite as dominating.

I would also like to suggest the Rotating Platform:

http://therotatingplatform.com/

Its a general gaming podcast by ex journalists from Furture Publishing that worked on NGamer.

I like to hear some UK voices on a podcast every now and again. Greg is not enough. :grin:

Edit: Still have not listened to last Sunday's RFN! Podcasts are like Buses for me at the moment.

I would also like to suggest the Rotating Platform:

http://therotatingplatform.com/

Its a general gaming podcast by ex journalists from Furture Publishing that worked on NGamer.

I like to hear some UK voices on a podcast every now and again. Greg is not enough. :grin:

Edit: Still have not listened to last Sunday's RFN! Podcasts are like Buses for me at the moment.

Strangely, i'm the opposite. I hate hearing UK voices on podcasts, same goes for when watching movies. I despise most British films. I much prefer hearing the US accent.

I listened to the latest episode of Retronauts this morning. I don't usually listen to the show but the guys were discussing Ocarina of Time so of course I needed to hear what they had to say.

I was quite surprised that Jeremy Parish didn't actually care for the game or even finish it until the 3DS version came out. :o He's now lost a lot of respect from me. :D

Man, Gui was doing my head in during this weeks podcast. He was complaining about grinding in BoF. It's a very old school JRPG, of course there was going to be grinding! I honestly don't know why the guy bothers playing older JRPGs as he just can't stomach them. If you don't like grinding then simply stay away from them!

I'm well happy with Dr. Metts returning for a special podcast. I haven't finished that episode yet but it's been interesting listening to how they got the website up and running and what went on at the back end to keep things running smoothly.

NintendoWorldReport must be one of the oldest Nintendo sites out there and they've done a cracking job of keeping the site relevant, up to date and the community happy.

I played one of the BoF(presume we're talking Breath of Fire here right?) on the GBA that, actually, didn't feel too terribly grindy to me. I think I then sought out the other on the SNES and played that version - found it exceptionally grindy! I can't recall which was which, and I've no idea if they made the GBA remake(s?) any easier, but yeah...I had nothing to say on the actual podcast front except that I felt whichever BoF I played second felt like a super grind! I don't JRPG tons mostly because I don't like the grind, though I def played a fair few of those old school ones back in the day, and I was so pleasantly surprised with the BoF I played first that I sought out the other.

Another cracking episode from the guys over at RFN. Jon faffing about with Miitomo during the show was absolutely hilarious. :D

I really enjoyed listening to Greg talk about the Gamecube Kuru game. I've had that on the shelf for years but never actually played it. He was also on point about the Gamecube Japanese boxes, they are amazing!

@Hero\-of\-Time

Thanks for the above links to the podcasts that you posted a bit back. Ive listened to one RFN and really enjoyed it. Never listened to a gaming podcast before.

@Hero\-of\-Time

Thanks for the above links to the podcasts that you posted a bit back. Ive listened to one RFN and really enjoyed it. Never listened to a gaming podcast before.

Glad you enjoyed it!

The RFN crew are amazing. No Nintendo fanboy rubbish, just honest Nintendo fan opinions. They make my drive to and from work much better. I always look forward to the Monday ( when new episode hits ) morning drive.

So good to have this podcast back! :)

I listened to the first episode last week. Great stuff!

Their Wii U banter was interesting. I don't think the system will be looked back on as fondly as the Dreamcast was. That thing had an amazing line up of games and was actually pushing online gaming. The machine was ahead of its time.

I was gonna post this next bit in the SF thread but figured I would get burned at the stake. :D

An interesting point was made by them when discussing Star Fox Guard. The game is essentially the exact same game from E3 a couple of years ago but with a SF skin. The fact that they couldn't work this into a full game or even expand upon to make it it's own full game shows the many issues the Gamepad has. This is highlighted even further when the other project ( Project Robo ) hasn't been seen since.

I listened to this weeks NVC and my hatred for Jose grew some more. The guy is so biased it's unreal.

They were talking about Miitomo and how the friend system works. Brian rightfully said that its weird that Nintendo are essentially encouraging people to add randomers to their Twitter and FB accounts so that they can play Miitomo together. Doing this essentially lets that person into your life a little more, even if you don't know them. Jose was saying it was fine and defending the actions.

Things get a little hypocritical here. Jose said its up to parents to monitor what the kids do and that there are settings for privacy that could be altered. Rewind back when Splatoon came out and the voice chat discussion was being had across multiple weeks and he sings a different tune.

Back then Brian and Peer were saying voice chat should be allowed. Both said its up to parents to monitor what the kids are doing and there are options to mute people. Jose said something along the lines of that you can't trust the parents to monitor their kids and that people never use these setting in the first place.

Way to stay strong on your points of view there, Jose. :nono:

He also annoyed me during the debate about the Alison Rapp getting fired by Nintendo story. He was trying to walk the middle line but Brian was having none of it. You could tell Brian was getting really angry about the whole thing and, again, rightfully so.

Nintendo should have stepped in and defended her from the attacks she was getting. The attack were even aimed at the wrong person as she had nothing to do with the localisation process. It was a sham of an affair and one that has many gamers angry with Nintendos lack of action other than to fire the poor woman.

Luckily it seems this is gonna come back to bite them in the butt. It has already started.

One of the biggest organizations representing game developers had some strong words for Nintendo’s recent actions.

Today, International Game Developers Association executive director Kate Edwards issued a statement about Nintendo’s dismissal of Treehouse marketing employee Alison Rapp last week. She’s concerned that the company’s action sends a negative message to game developers and other employees that publishers won’t support them against Internet hate mobs. Edwards also fears this gives a victory to those who organize harassment campaigns against people in the industry.

Edwards' statement:

While Nintendo’s official statement on the matter of Alison Rapp’s firing strives to distance the company from anything related to the orchestrated online campaign of harassment and defamation that was raging against her, their timing in dealing with the issue is dubious at best. Unfortunately, the company seems oblivious to the consequences of their actions, not realizing the perceived victory it handed to the online hate groups who are now pursuing the dismissal of other women game developers by derision and defamation to their companies. By now, we would expect that all game development and publishing companies would be fully aware of negative social media dynamics and be more discerning of online feedback, as well as more protective of their employees — especially their employees of diverse backgrounds. Many have become proactive and aware but this industry obviously needs to make more progress.”

I finished listening to the second episode of EA this morning. Great stuff. Bosman calling the 21 year old gamers Sponge Bob Bros was hilarious. :D

I have to say, i'm not the biggest fan of Huber. I never have been, really. I think he's a little to over the top for me. Although is Shenmue III reveal reaction is still one for the ages. :D

Huber has completely grown on me. When he first started at GT I thought he was crazy, but I've come to love his passion and now I think he's great. Yes he's over the top, but it's nice to have someone like that... I do think he's mellowed slightly as he's grown in confidence and settled in, which is good.

I will say, I've always watched GT's/EZA's stuff as opposed to listen to it. I imagine seeing what he's doing helps damped it somewhat :p

Gui doesn't like Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. Stuff like this is why I dislike the fella.

Jon's Miitomo stuff was hilarious again. As was the flashback from the early episodes. "It's the podcast, people!" :D

The Easy Allies have started a second podcast, which is less focused and more about casually talking about games, what they've been playing, going off on tangents, answering viewer questions etc... etc...

I really enjoyed it:

The Easy Allies have started a second podcast, which is less focused and more about casually talking about games, what they've been playing, going off on tangents, answering viewer questions etc... etc...

I really enjoyed it:

You getting paid for this promo Retro? Haha.

Nah I love em. Kind of prefer this kind of stuff to GT even - good for me now I'm doing work where I can listen to podcasts whilst working.

I actually find Ben a bit irritating, particularly on frame trap - maybe because he's such a conversation hogger in the first place, and perhaps because he seems to maybe take games a little too seriously for my taste.

Nonetheless, enjoying them all a lot - glad they've sorted out some decent microphones after sharing in the first couple episodes.

Power Pros- lost interest in this now.

The other guest has never played the games and still seems disinterested in Nintendo!

Never heard of Pocket Jockey- ridiculous! :D

Power Pros- lost interest in this now.

The other guest has never played the games and still seems disinterested in Nintendo!

Never heard of Pocket Jockey- ridiculous! :D

Yeah, I stopped listening a while back. The new guy killed the show. If you're gonna be on a gaming podcast then at least play some games and do your homework on what's coming out.

In other news, it was great to hear Dr. Metts on RFN this week. I haven't listened to it all yet but it's been a great episode so far. Jonny saying what the hell has the Wii U got for the end of the year and then saying he'll just play on his PlayStation was hilarious. :D