NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

I really enjoyed the Dragon Ball chatter on this weeks Frame Trap. What Huber and Ben said about Goku is pretty much spot on. His character is pretty boring now and has been for a long time, whereas I think Vegeta has certainly grown a lot more and is a far more interesting character. While I have enjoyed Super, the power levels are just ridiculous at this point. It's funny that they mention Naruto and how that was more about the characters than power levels. I'd argue that Naruto completely fell apart by the end of Shippuden and became more like Dragon Ball in the sense that it was mainly about 1 or 2 people getting power ups beyond anything anyone else could achieve. It's why I enjoy watching Boruto at the moment. They seem to have gone back to basics ( at least for now ) and it feels very much like the old Naruto, where every character had a part to play.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

41 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What Huber and Ben said about Goku is pretty much spot on. His character is pretty boring now and has been for a long time, whereas I think Vegeta has certainly grown a lot more and is a far more interesting character.

Indeed. The last episodes of Dragon Ball Super were amazing simply because of Vegeta.

And I agree with Goku being boring...however, I'm really looking forward to the next episodes :D

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Indeed. The last episodes of Dragon Ball Super were amazing simply because of Vegeta.

And I agree with Goku being boring...however, I'm really looking forward to the next episodes :D

I hate that they spoiled what his next form is. It was first shown in some Japanese gaming magazine for the up and coming DB Xenoverse 2 DLC and then they went ahead and teased the thing at the end of Super.

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I hate that they spoiled what his next form is. It was first shown in some Japanese gaming magazine for the up and coming DB Xenoverse 2 DLC and then they went ahead and teased the thing at the end of Super.

Well, I didn't see any spoiler so far. It's not too hard to guess what will happen, though...

Slightly irritated to hear Jared Petty back on the scene with an appearance on Game Scoop and now a permanent fixture on Kinda Funny :hmm:

He seems like a nice enough guy but I don't enjoy listening to him!

7 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Slightly irritated to hear Jared Petty back on the scene with an appearance on Game Scoop and now a permanent fixture on Kinda Funny :hmm:

He seems like a nice enough guy but I don't enjoy listening to him!

I really like him. I haven't listened to KF since Colin left. I may give it another try once Jared arrives.

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I really like him. I haven't listened to KF since Colin left. I may give it another try once Jared arrives.

I only really listen to Kinda Funny when there's news that I'm interested in being discussed or when they have someone like Michael Huber or Brian Altano on as a guest.

Sooo...I recently bought a Podcast app and I need some suggestions for gaming podcasts. Lay 'em on me. :p

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sooo...I recently bought a Podcast app and I need some suggestions for gaming podcasts. Lay 'em on me. :p

The Easy Allies podcast and Frame Trap ( also by Easy Allies ) are two of my favourites. Good vibes and good banter.

The IGN podcasts are all pretty rough at the moment so I wouldn't bother with them and Radio Free Nintendo has gotten pretty stale over the past few months.

I've been looking for a good PlayStation podcast to listen to for a while now but there doesn't seem to be any out there.

• Thanks 2

I've come to learn that a lot of video game podcasts are like 800 hours long. Nothing wrong with that in general but I don't really like it. I like to listen to a podcast in its entirety and for me that means they have to be "short", i.e. around one hour max. I'm not one for pausing a podcast and returning to it later. ::shrug:

I guess I'll just stick to other podcasts :D

Just now, drahkon said:

I've come to learn that a lot of video game podcasts are like 800 hours long. Nothing wrong with that in general but I don't really like it. I like to listen to a podcast in its entirety and for me that means they have to be "short", i.e. around one hour max. I'm not one for pausing a podcast and returning to it later. ::shrug:

I guess I'll just stick to other podcasts :D

Im the opposite in that I like a long podcast. I have a 50 min drive to and from work so I like podcasts that will keep me going all week. Plus, I find it's hard to get into a good conversation about the latest news when it's only an hour. It's one of the many reasons why I don't care for the IGN podcasts. They are far too short and tend to either miss news or skip stuff entirely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Im the opposite in that I like a long podcast. I have a 50 min drive to and from work so I like podcasts that will keep me going all week.

Makes sense. I only have 20-30 minutes to/from work/university so shorter podcasts are much more suitable for me.

Plus, I find it's hard to get into a good conversation about the latest news when it's only an hour.

Yeah, that's true. No idea why I just can't get "with it" in video game podcasts. Maybe it's because I tend to browse video game news websites several times a day and get a lot of news right then and there. For this topic I just don't "need" to hear a conversation about the news. I'd rather talk about them here.

It's totally different with other podcasts I listen to. Just a couple of minutes ago I finished listening to a one hour long episode about thoughts. It covered various topics, aspects and stories about thoughts and thought process and I loved it. Maybe it's because I don't regularly look things up about it and don't engage in a community focused on that.

• Like 1

@drahkon I’d recommend the Power Pros podcast. The main host is Chris Hoffman, an old Nintendo Power Editor, and a second rotating guest from the same publication. About an hour long, news info, including collectibles etc, and a big topic. No fluff.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, londragon said:

@drahkon I’d recommend the Power Pros podcast. The main host is Chris Hoffman, an old Nintendo Power Editor, and a second rotating guest from the same publication. About an hour long, news info, including collectibles etc, and a big topic. No fluff.

Is this Nintendo only or does it cover video game news in general?

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Is this Nintendo only or does it cover video game news in general?

Nintendo only.

• Thanks 1

The first episode of Kyle Bosman's (of EZA) paper-animated series, Box Peek, is up. It's only a preview episode, so it will be a while before the rest of the series is up, but it's awesome :D

• Like 1

I don't know why but I still persist with Podcast Unlocked on IGN; the whole thing is a mess! 

I like Ryan but he can't keep a handle on anything, it always turns into rambling about a random topic from all of them. And when they do find something interesting to talk about they get mid sentence before Allanah has to make a joke, de rails it and the momentum has gone. She then clearly gets annoyed when someone either interrupts her or doesn't let her speak mid someone else sentence.

They all speak over each other and clearly all think they are funnier and more important than they are. The best recent episode was when they had Craig Duncan on from Rare because Ryan and Brad actually shut up and listened to him!

15 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I don't know why but I still persist with Podcast Unlocked on IGN; the whole thing is a mess! 

I like Ryan but he can't keep a handle on anything, it always turns into rambling about a random topic from all of them. And when they do find something interesting to talk about they get mid sentence before Allanah has to make a joke, de rails it and the momentum has gone. She then clearly gets annoyed when someone either interrupts her or doesn't let her speak mid someone else sentence.

They all speak over each other and clearly all think they are funnier and more important than they are. The best recent episode was when they had Craig Duncan on from Rare because Ryan and Brad actually shut up and listened to him!

All of their gaming podcasts are a mess at the moment. It's a shame because Unlocked used to be really good and informative.

It still baffles me that IGN are as big as they are. Their site is atrocious, they aren't exactly fast when it comes to gaming news and they have very few people working for them who are actually likable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The majority of the new blood at IGN really irritate me. I just can't listen to them. Brian, Daemon and Peer are obviously great and I actually don't mind Filip, even though I think he's struggling in the role of presenter. The rest of them however contribute very little to a discussion. Bring back Cass and Bozon! :D Used to love NVC when it was just those two. There are far more entertaining and informed podcasts available than anything IGN puts out these days.

• Like 1

IGN is a site I never even think of going to. I get Gamescoop and NVC downloaded automatically to my phone each week but the latter is definitely weaker than it was. If Peer and Brian aren't present, it's rarely worth listening to.

In other news, my podcast listening looks like taking a hit as the radio in my car has decided it doesn't want to turn on any more ::shrug:

I've been in a bit of a Sega mood lately and decided to hunt down a Sega related podcast to listen to. Over the past couple of days i've listened to a few episodes from the Sega Bits guys. I quite like the format they have. They pick a game from any Sega era and spend an hour just discussing it. So far i've listened to discussions on the original Sonic The Hedgehog, Jet Set Radio and Power Stone.

http://segabits.com/blog/category/podcast/

They have music from the game they are discussing playing in the background while they talk about it and hearing that 60hz Sonic music still rubs me the wrong way. :D 

I've also listened to a couple of episodes from the Dreamcast Junkyard guys.

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/p/podcast.html

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1